[Fishing] How does it works ?

Users who are viewing this thread

So I want to fish and don't know how to do that, when I visit town I can't find the option anywhere.

Else, I've had that option pop up once, and that's it

And for information  I have Rigale system ON and Rigale exploration set to Passive.

So if any of you guys could help me that'd be great.

tonfa said:
So I want to fish and don't know how to do that, when I visit town I can't find the option anywhere.

Else, I've had that option pop up once, and that's it

And for information  I have Rigale system ON and Rigale exploration set to Passive.

So if any of you guys could help me that'd be great.

Fishing is not done at town, instead it is driven by "random harvest node placement".  Here is how that works:

As you move around, the process of moving on the map generates a check each 1.3 hours, based on three things:
1) how well that area has been so far explored
2)  whether your exploration is active or passive (passive = faster movement, but lower chance to find a new harvest node), or off (no chance at all)
3)  and your skill at that harvest node's type (hunting, mining, lumberjacking, gardening, fishing).

To have a reasonable chance of success you should aim for skill 8 or higher; before that there is a high chance to fail and possibly lose your tools, which is painful.  If you do successfully fish, I recommend you stop and click Camp menu: Actions: Preserve some of your Food: Fish  so that the raw fish (which can go rotten) becomes smoked fish, which does not rot, so you can sell it at full price or feed your troops many days later.  This wastes a little more time but gets you merchandise that is not lowering in value as it gets stinkier.

Something similar for hunting:
  success grants furs first, deer meat (venison) second, which needs preserving to become smoked venison, which sells for approximately 3 times more, and then last if and only if space remains in your inventory hides.

Mining can yield either iron or iron ore; iron ore can be combined back to iron in town, consuming some wood in the process.  It is possible to get a single rare ore or ingot from mining, placed in inventory before the other materials, but only if you are a master or have an expert with you, which is a upgrade indirectly from looters turned to scavengers  then upgraded 2 more branching tiers.  Otherwise you lack the skill to recognize what the rare ore looks like.

Gardening can find semi-wild flax (which leatherworking can turn to linen), grapes (which can be preserved into raisins to prevent rotting),  grain,  fruit (which can be preserved to dried fruit to prevent rotting).  Similar to mining, there is a very rare chance of finding a single spice, which is placed in inventory first, if you were a master or had one (also made from looters -> scavengers -> one of the two branches from there.)

Lumberjacking does not have a rare associated with it, at this time, although I'd like that in a later generation when I can break savegames with new items.

Fishing in town is OSP from a different source, and is not done here.

So if I got this right what I should do is set exploration to active then walk around on a well explored part of the map till I find a node right ?
But is this harvest node, visible on the map or is it just a pop up, like when you receive a vassalage demand ?
Finally looter ... you find those in tavern right ?

Anyway thank you for the answer , I hope with these information I'll be able to abuse my 19 fishing start  ^^

tonfa said:
So if I got this right what I should do is set exploration to active then walk around on a well explored part of the map till I find a node right ?
But is this harvest node, visible on the map or is it just a pop up, like when you receive a vassalage demand ?
Finally looter ... you find those in tavern right ?

Anyway thank you for the answer , I hope with these information I'll be able to abuse my 19 fishing start  ^^

Almost.  You're more likely to find new harvest nodes in areas that are NOT well explored yet.

The harvest node will suddenly appear on the map near you and you'll briefly get a message.  If you aren't paying attention and move too far away it disappears again; the node is still there but only shows when you're within a relatively short distance from it.  If you see a message about harvest opportunity you should turn around and retrace your steps, which probably is made easier if someone in your party has at least tracking skill 1.  In any case, it really is a new thing on the map.

With larger parties, you will finish harvesting sooner, so it won't take very long to perform the harvest if you run around with a big force.  If you walk around alone it might take up to as much as 13 hours to do a harvest node (there is a variable amount of time determined by dice roll); each 10 troops reduces it an hour down to 2 hours minimum.  I think you'll find skill 19 fishing yields quite a few free fish.

gsanders said:
  Almost.  You're more likely to find new harvest nodes in areas that are NOT well explored yet.

The harvest node will suddenly appear on the map near you and you'll briefly get a message.  If you aren't paying attention and move too far away it disappears again; the node is still there but only shows when you're within a relatively short distance from it.  If you see a message about harvest opportunity you should turn around and retrace your steps, which probably is made easier if someone in your party has at least tracking skill 1.  In any case, it really is a new thing on the map.

With larger parties, you will finish harvesting sooner, so it won't take very long to perform the harvest if you run around with a big force.  If you walk around alone it might take up to as much as 13 hours to do a harvest node (there is a variable amount of time determined by dice roll); each 10 troops reduces it an hour down to 2 hours minimum.  I think you'll find skill 19 fishing yields quite a few free fish.

Well now I know what I oughta do  .

Thank you again for your fast answer.

Back
Top Bottom