Author Topic: Dev Blog 03/05/18  (Read 26247 times)

Electre

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: seasoned_camper / Loyal
Re: Dev Blog 03/05/18
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
Now I'd like to read a blog on what kind of underwear each faction uses :>

B1G0T

• Squire
  • Permanently Banned
  • =/=
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WBNWVCWF&SM&B
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
I feel like I might've bitched about this one, but in comparison to the last couple blogs - this one is amazing. Lol

Vlandia is the only one I don't like, but they are my favorite faction so it might just be my high expectations
I speak in Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse - Charles V

Judd

• Regular
  • Live on, and by my bounty behold the light of day
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: Judd
  • WBVCNWM&BWF&S
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
I'm loving the new banners! Sturgia looks so good, and they're reminding me more and more of early Rus! I hope that this game allows easier manipulation of custom banners though, would be super wicked.  :D

zabfalat

• Sergeant
  • (amateour) Artist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Oatmeal
  • WBNW
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 09:21:36 PM »

The simple two colour scheme is very modern/japanese.   I think it's odd, but it's not my area of knowledge.

The simle color scheme is needed so they can be easily recognised on the battlefield I believe.

Many viking settlements were build along the river Volga during the "viking age", so yeah they were a thing later in those areas.
Source: memory about a high school history map, and google pictures  :shifty:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:33:55 PM by zabfalat »

Draugr the Greedy

• Regular
    • YouTube - UCd2S3JUwQSRvNAs4RBpICxg
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • MP nick: Draugr_the_Greedy
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35:39 PM »
Wait, Vlandia are the normans?

Welp, time to conquer england again
Norse Mythology > All other Mythology

BayBear

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »
The insignia make sense. I think these designs will look much better displayed in action
Hotty toddy gosh almighty

Draugr the Greedy

• Regular
    • YouTube - UCd2S3JUwQSRvNAs4RBpICxg
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • MP nick: Draugr_the_Greedy
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Ayy, I'm famous enough to warrant a meme
Norse Mythology > All other Mythology

SenorZorros

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2018, 09:48:10 PM »
interesting blog, bit of a shame the vlandians are not based on the franks on the vikings. Personally I think Germany is a better source of inspiration than western France. also, that lion should be replaced because he is clearly not derpy enough.

So here's this faction from based on the Kievan rus. We used Viking art.
It's like saying america is Australia.

Pro-tip: Sturgia doesn't actually exist. The devs can make it whatever they want, inspiration is just that, inspiration. Besides, the Kievan Rus were heavily influenced by the Norsemen, so there's nothing off about it.
bad argument. historical inspiration and coherent factions based on real cultures instead of a mach do increase immersion and diversity. especially for people who are interested in history. You're better of using the argument that Norse influences are correct because the historical Rus were or were heavily influenced and intermingled with the Nordic tribes.

kalarhan

• Python Saint
  • Count
  • Use Q&A thread, not a PM :)
    • View Profile
  • WBNWVCWF&S
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2018, 09:51:30 PM »
interesting blog, mixing the lore + game design process + new information.

it would be much better tho if it included some pictures/gifs with the faction symbols on: field banners, castles decoration, worldmap icon, UI banners, ... so we could see it (as you talked about their design influences on scale).

fedeita

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
I must admit to being disappointed. To quote the blog - After all, this is Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord…
Please reconsider this approach. Bannermen need different animations - holding the banner firmly erect in their left hand while wielding a sword in their right. Small pennants fluttering from a back carried lance didn't break my immersion, but a massive backpacked flag flapping over a horse archer certainly broke the spell.

I know they implemented new animations and now the lance of the banner is held in left hand, I remember there were some screens around proving it but at the same time I think they reduced the number of the banners in the battlefield.

Innocent Flower

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2018, 10:19:43 PM »

The simle color scheme is needed so they can be easily recognised on the battlefield I believe.

And yet, they're all blue.

Jokes aside, half of them have very soft colours that don't provide much of a distinction. If you're looking for an easy way to distinguish them on the battlefield, this ain't it. Some factions do have strong colours, but only half.

I don't think a third or fourth colour would add to it. Maybe some high detail/low detail versions.

zabfalat

• Sergeant
  • (amateour) Artist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: Oatmeal
  • WBNW
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2018, 10:34:30 PM »

And yet, they're all blue.

Jokes aside, half of them have very soft colours that don't provide much of a distinction. If you're looking for an easy way to distinguish them on the battlefield, this ain't it. Some factions do have strong colours, but only half.

I don't think a third or fourth colour would add to it. Maybe some high detail/low detail versions.

Also true.

NPC99

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2018, 10:39:24 PM »
I must admit to being disappointed. To quote the blog - After all, this is Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord…
Please reconsider this approach. Bannermen need different animations - holding the banner firmly erect in their left hand while wielding a sword in their right. Small pennants fluttering from a back carried lance didn't break my immersion, but a massive backpacked flag flapping over a horse archer certainly broke the spell.

I know they implemented new animations and now the lance of the banner is held in left hand, I remember there were some screens around proving it but at the same time I think they reduced the number of the banners in the battlefield.

Great. I hope you’re right. Any chance of a screenshot?

KarlXII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
bad argument. historical inspiration and coherent factions based on real cultures instead of a mach do increase immersion and diversity. especially for people who are interested in history. You're better of using the argument that Norse influences are correct because the historical Rus were or were heavily influenced and intermingled with the Nordic tribes.

Fiction, regardless of what it is based on, is still fiction. This is not even historical fiction. The cultures in the game are inspired by real cultures but they are not those cultures. The Sturgians are not the Rus. The Battanians are not the Celts. Similar? Sure. The same? No.

For all we know, Taleworlds could have introduced "what if" elements to each culture. "What if" the Rus were more Norse than Slav? Demanding a 1:1 translation of real world factions in a fictional universe is just silly. I'm plenty interested in history, but Calradia is not Europe. I just want interesting factions. No one gets on Tolkien's case for not being more true to his historical inspirations.

FBohler

• Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WBNWWF&S
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2018, 11:39:15 PM »
We wanted each faction to have a distinctive colour which would make their troops recognisable in the thick of a battle, while also subtly representing the culture of that faction.

Yay! I would love to be able to recognize allies and enemies without the floating sprites above troop's heads.

In Warband it was almost impossible to not confuse allies and enemies without said sprites.
Nitpickers gonna nitpick.
Video games aren't perfect counterparts of reality.