Author Topic: Dev Blog 03/05/18  (Read 26162 times)

Glatix

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
Re: Dev Blog 03/05/18
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 07:30:42 PM »
The Vlandians send their regards!

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

CaptainLee

• Sergeant Knight
  • Calradia is real.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
Vlandia is basically the same as Scotland, but with the colours reversed.

Not sure I want to play as them anymore.

Nor I, if the Vlandians are as bad at fighting as William the Lion...
'Calradia, the continent where Mount & Blade takes place, is a low-fantasy setting deeply rooted in history: its past and factions are inspired by real kingdoms and conflicts of old, but it also adds its own doses of imagination.' -Steve Negus

supersaiyan121

• Veteran
  • Boop my nose
    • View Profile
    • fluff
  • Faction: Khergit
  • MP nick: FluffSkin
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 07:39:21 PM »
The Vlandians send their regards!

And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know.

Rackie

• Regular
  • Hello.Have a nice day and consider going outside.
    • Twitter - RackiePRO
    • Twitch.tv - RackieW
    • YouTube - Rackie Warzone
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »
Custom banners?
Have a nice day and consider going outside. Bye.

DeusPuppy

• Sergeant
    • Steam - deuspuppy
    • Twitch.tv - deuspuppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 07:47:06 PM »
Pretty Impressiv  8-)

HUMMAN

• Master Knight
  • Gunshot Riddim
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
Loved Khuzait banner. I think militaristic empire banner need a bit more contrast, like this:

Or glowing orange inside/outside depending on other color.

The Meddling Monk

• Master Knight
  • Lurker Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: The_Meddling_Monk
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
Nice blog, good to see that so much attention is being put towards the flags in Bannerlord  :P

PS: My favourite is Sturgia's.
It's like Valve wants to be known for pioneering the mod-sweatshop market
He's openly Argentinian, that's more than enough reason to burn him.

vicwiz007

• D
  • Knight
  • Lord Jar Jar Binks, 52 BBY - ∞
    • Steam - 0900730
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: M&B Wars Ep IV - No Hope
  • WBNWVCM&BWF&S
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Welp thats it for me.

Intel Guardian

• Sergeant
  • MGK is my favorite rapper of all time
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/intelguardian/
    • Twitter - https://twitter.com/
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: IntelGuardian
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 08:03:20 PM »
Bit disappointing that they pretty much made the Sturgians early Nords, despite them being the supposed precursors to the Vaegirs. Or perhaps the Rus had more similarities to medieval Scandinavians than I thought.

KhergitLancer99

• On probation
  • Permanently Banned
  • Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (1881-193∞)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • WB
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2018, 08:06:20 PM »
(click to show/hide)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed so much to the Atatürk drawing !

NPC99

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBWF&SVC
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2018, 08:09:31 PM »
I love banners. After reading the blog, I reloaded the Cavalry Sergeant video to check out whether TW had implemented flags differently in Bannerlord.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkL42p3Mss

The infantry flags look great.

So, did TW overcome Warband's mounted Banner problems with new animations? Unfortunately, not in June 2017. The next shot shows a Bannerman firing a horse bow with both hands - consigning his flag to a carrying location on his back.

Worse yet, presumably to keep the banner upright you can see in this next screenshot that it floats in mid-air behind the knight/cavalryman.

I must admit to being disappointed. To quote the blog - After all, this is Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord…

Please reconsider this approach. Bannermen need different animations - holding the banner firmly erect in their left hand while wielding a sword in their right. Small pennants fluttering from a back carried lance didn't break my immersion, but a massive backpacked flag flapping over a horse archer certainly broke the spell.

Innocent Flower

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
So here's this faction from based on the Kievan rus. We used Viking art.
It's like saying america is Australia.

I also find it funny that mongolian/turkish heraldry was too peaceful, and I'm wondering if giving them a more warlike banner will further the stereotype that the mongols were savages.

Empire/battania's alright. Loses points for an extreme lack of originality. Vlandians are only better for the Swadian tie in, but the empire's non-senate colours are really weak.

The simple two colour scheme is very modern/japanese.   I think it's odd, but it's not my area of knowledge.

Iberian Wolf

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 08:27:33 PM »
Nice one!

I wonder if it will be possible to have banners coming in different shapes in order to represent different cultures, like standards, pennants, etc.

KarlXII

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:40 PM »
So here's this faction from based on the Kievan rus. We used Viking art.
It's like saying america is Australia.

Pro-tip: Sturgia doesn't actually exist. The devs can make it whatever they want, inspiration is just that, inspiration. Besides, the Kievan Rus were heavily influenced by the Norsemen, so there's nothing off about it.

monoolho

• Squire
  • Mono Oculus ibn Amir Uszas
    • Skype - monoolho
    • Steam - monoolho
    • Twitter - monoolho
    • YouTube - UCsDsuBVycc5rUM1LjItivtQ
    • View Profile
    • I sell fountain pens as Conde Caneteiro on Instagram
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • MP nick: monoolho
  • WBNWWF&SM&BVC
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)
By Marinid! I laughed so hard at this my wife was startled. And I feel somehow that someone... has drawn me there...

This was a fairly entertaining blog. I will not deny I wanted more info on the crevasses of design choices, more depth about how and why you decided, but given that it was a ton of banners to cover, it would almost become a short story of sorts, so I am content with that. (And 6-7 different blogs for each individual banner would... piss a lot of people off)

I have to admit I liked the banners a bit less than I would, the designs are simplistic and awesome, it's just the colours: too much blue for my taste.
I personally love red and warm colours, and the sand brown barely fits into that, but it fits with the factions nicely. I see I will be forced to join Vlandia on the first game because of the awesome red banner...
I have to say that I understand the simplistic approach, and I may dabble with modding to add some finesse and details to the banners because I simply want more complex designs. Not too complex, just a little more "bam" around the central designs. But I'll have to see how it fares in-game. (Vlandian, Empire and Sturgian banners have really striken me as particularly awesome designs) It's just personal opinion bullshit, not an actual complaint about your designs, just to be clear, eh?

On the whole, I really liked this blog. But it left me with a couple of griping question:
Do minor factions/clans also have different banners/colors? And if they rise to power (if that's possible), do they change the faction banner as well?
And lastly: do banners appear differently on the battlefield depending on troop type/levels, or just Lords' banners on their troops?
NPC99 posted the screenshots above from the old videos, and I wondered if those different designs will be present (to some level) on release, or if everyone will just carry the same banner around (and variety only coming from different lords and their troops present on the battle).

I have no idea if I made myself clear, I'm typing from my cellphone and it sucked the soul out of me. I just want to bang my head against bulletproof glass until it shatters.

Once again, great blog, great topic, really brought some stuff I wanted to learn about, but didn't even hope to see it posted! Boy, each week I sound more and more like a little girl waiting for the gift to come...
>I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law.
>monoolho diz: zeus era liferuler, cuspia raios, peidava trovões e comia todas as deusas.
>"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - CARLIN, George. 2001.