Discussion, complaints, and everything else you wanted said put here:

Users who are viewing this thread

gsanders

Grandmaster Knight
So that I know what I can skip when performing triage on my time.
  We all get it.  I'm unhappy with some parts of the mod, and parts of the community are unhappy with me.
  Deal with it.  There isn't a plan B.
    In the meantime, my time doesn't need to be frittered away playing forum PVP.  So dump it here and let it get ignored or shine your opinion for the facebook "like" effect with your fellow like-minded zealots, united to oppose my perceived zealotry. 

Otherwise, leave me alone so I can do real work, whatever that is.
    Save your fights for the game not forums.

Or make that clever suggestion that might motivate someone to add to their own mod, especially if they have no ideas and yours are far better.  You might just have the one idea that makes some other mod perfect -- in which case, share it HERE if you wish.

Darnaran said:
A shame that v155 has a changed map. I liked the old one but meh, what can you do.  Looks pretty cool though.

I think its not the map, but the distribution of the fief. I guess gs make it for balance purpose? but its rather plain.
I didn't say it like defending myself (because he use my design) and blame gs for the distribution, no, absolutely not.

I didn't play it yet (hhehe :fruity: ), is orc will get buff in-game later like the older version? if so, as in the new map they already has two town, what could happen after invasion? (EDIT: wait... actually its not bad idea HAHA  :twisted: )
and it also about lore, the phantasy faction not came to calradia like storm.

I guess it will  be too difficult to go back. so..
change the mod title :iamamoron:
something like "Phantasy Calradia 230 A.D. (After Doom, After Destruction, After Decade)
or "Phantasy Calradia 69th Century"
so basically the phantasy faction already expand their land :mrgreen:
or..
just ignore my post :facepalm:

whydott said:
Darnaran said:
A shame that v155 has a changed map. I liked the old one but meh, what can you do.  Looks pretty cool though.

I think its not the map, but the distribution of the fief. I guess gs make it for balance purpose? but its rather plain.
I didn't say it like defending myself (because he use my design) and blame gs for the distribution, no, absolutely not.

I didn't play it yet (hhehe :fruity: ), is orc will get buff in-game later like the older version? if so, as in the new map they already has two town, what could happen after invasion? (EDIT: wait... actually its not bad idea HAHA  :twisted: )
and it also about lore, the phantasy faction not came to calradia like storm.

I guess it will  be too difficult to go back. so..
change the mod title :iamamoron:
something like "Phantasy Calradia 230 A.D. (After Doom, After Destruction, After Decade)
or "Phantasy Calradia 69th Century"
so basically the phantasy faction already expand their land :mrgreen:
or..
just ignore my post :facepalm:

The Orc faction buff is 1/2 as intense now as it was in v150, so although it DOES occur, the orcs have extra troops fora shorter time than before and fewer high level troops are added.  Instead, both Sarranids and Khergate are buffed, although Sarranids are countered by Necromancer lords.  Vaegirs are slightly weakened but now are facing Orcs at Inchamur.

It is possible I was too heavy handed but I think partly it is just no one wants anything resembling change until they get used to it.
I felt v150 had burned people out and they needed a new map, but I didn't have time to draw a map. I am still looking ahead to new mechanics for movement, either by ship, teleport, or flying.  Thus castles are shifted to protect beaches that at the moment aren't at risk.

Just dropping by to say that I, for one, love the Fog Of War. Especially as it's a new map! Soo, I get to really EXPLORE the map! I'm not sure how "Explorer" affects this, but my latest character hung around until trained to "Master Explorer". :razz:
That said, I'm in favor of a start of game on/off toggle for it, as in Perisno.

Also, Glad to see Whydott's armours being added as possible! Thanks to you both. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the new patches.  I was already enjoying the mod, but they do clean quite a bit of stuff, and make it a more enjoyable experience.

Oh, it seems that I am off topic for this thread.  Lemmee try again.

Curse you for dragging me back to playing Phantasy!  And why are you buffing necromancers, enticing innocent souls into Eeeeevil!  And when you going to implement my pet peeves, like .....

Tuidjy said:
Thanks for the new patches.  I was already enjoying the mod, but they do clean quite a bit of stuff, and make it a more enjoyable experience.

Oh, it seems that I am off topic for this thread.  Lemmee try again.

Curse you for dragging me back to playing Phantasy!  And why are you buffing necromancers, enticing innocent souls into Eeeeevil!  And when you going to implement my pet peeves, like .....

Yeah, I forgot to complain about that :razz:
That being said, I'm TOTALLY in favor of evil magiks rending the veil and summoning berserker Balrogs (and friends?) who are outraged at being dragged into this realm by a puny human necromancer and just want to make that outrage known, regardless of who is targeted! :twisted: (Of course, this should be timed until my Paladin progresses far enough so as to be indestructible! :wink:)
... I hope the paladin doesn't end up too nerfed. It was the most thrilling feeling to be in a siege against an undead fortress and finally figure out how to use "Turn Undead" and suddenly, my troops had no opposition within 50 feet of the ladder!! :fruity:

OldGreyBeard said:
Just dropping by to say that I, for one, love the Fog Of War. Especially as it's a new map! Soo, I get to really EXPLORE the map! I'm not sure how "Explorer" affects this, but my latest character hung around until trained to "Master Explorer". :razz:
That said, I'm in favor of a start of game on/off toggle for it, as in Perisno.

Also, Glad to see Whydott's armours being added as possible! Thanks to you both. :mrgreen:

Yeah I would have done that had I not been in a push to get something out the door for Friday the 13th.
  I found a bunch of errors in Necromancy that got solved and made movement for the player a little faster as an anti-frustration and there were all these little fixes that I forgot that fog of war was an open issue.  Next time...

What are the differences between patch_v155_A5 and patch_v156_A5?

Also, i think your stance on the non good paladins is quite unecessary. What me (and i think some other people) want, is the ability to choose palading but not need to be stuck at a good factions, like Clerics are able to be good or evil, paladins should too, they dont need to have a selection of gods with differents effects and the like, just have different starting relations with the kingdoms. Or have all paladins start neutral with all kingdoms and only be influenced by your racial choice (at the start of course).

vrork said:
v155 and v156 are two separate versions.  One has custom troops and the other does not, so saved games are incompatible.  Use the proper A5 patch for he version you are using.  If you have yet to start, choose one version, and stick to it.

Also, i think your stance on the non good paladins is quite unecessary. What me (and i think some other people) want, is the ability to choose palading but not need to be stuck at a good factions, like Clerics are able to be good or evil, paladins should too,
Traditionally, AD&D paladins are virtuous.  There didn't use to be such thing as an evil paladin, not until very recent rule changes (5e?)

Personally, I think that it is idiotic to postulate evil paladins.  There are plenty of classes that combine martial prowess with the blessings of an evil god.  But which way the developer goes is only  up to him.

Tuidjy said:
vrork said:
v155 and v156 are two separate versions.  One has custom troops and the other does not, so saved games are incompatible.  Use the proper A5 patch for he version you are using.  If you have yet to start, choose one version, and stick to it.

I used to play on 150, but its been a long time since i stopped, wich one you suggest?

Also, i think your stance on the non good paladins is quite unecessary. What me (and i think some other people) want, is the ability to choose palading but not need to be stuck at a good factions, like Clerics are able to be good or evil, paladins should too,
Traditionally, AD&D paladins are virtuous.  There didn't use to be such thing as an evil paladin, not until very recent rule changes (5e?)

Personally, I think that it is idiotic to postulate evil paladins.  There are plenty of classes that combine martial prowess with the blessings of an evil god.  But which way the developer goes is only  up to him.

AD&D may have only recently added evil paladins (idk, i dont play AD&D, but from what wikipedia say, in D&D 4th they started existin) but just think for a moment: Palading nothing more is that a cleric focused on fighting (martial prowess) and "destroying" the ones that his deity say that he should destroy/kill whatever.  So, it would only make sense to have "good" and "evil" paladins.

PS: Just found this on wikipedia --> An article in the July 1980 issue 39 of Dragon magazine introduced a new non-player character to Dungeons & Dragons, the evil opposite of the Paladin, the Anti-Paladin.[11] The article stated "The Anti-Paladin represents everything that is mean, low and despicable in the human race."
(11. Laking, George; Mesford, Tim (July 1980). "Try this for Evil: The Anti-Paladin NPC" (PDF). Dragon. TSR (39): 8–9, 50–53.)

No, a paladin is not just a martial cleric.  There are classes for that.  A paladin operates under a number of restrictions that clerics are not subject to.  And in Phantasy 2018, nothing stops you from creating an Evil cleric and then building him into a combat beast.  Paladins are different, in the sense that they get different, arguably more altruistic powers, such as auras.

As for anti-paladins, blackguards, thralls opf Orcus, etc. those are powerful classes, but they operate under restrictions very similar to those of paladins, except that they have to strive for the opposite effects.  And their powers are VERY different... certainly NOT focused on helping others, which auras are, at the end of the day.

vrork said:
Tuidjy said:
vrork said:

I used to play on 150, but its been a long time since i stopped, wich one you suggest?

AD&D may have only recently added evil paladins (idk, i dont play AD&D, but from what wikipedia say, in D&D 4th they started existin) but just think for a moment: Palading nothing more is that a cleric focused on fighting (martial prowess) and "destroying" the ones that his deity say that he should destroy/kill whatever.  So, it would only make sense to have "good" and "evil" paladins.

PS: Just found this on wikipedia --> An article in the July 1980 issue 39 of Dragon magazine introduced a new non-player character to Dungeons & Dragons, the evil opposite of the Paladin, the Anti-Paladin.[11] The article stated "The Anti-Paladin represents everything that is mean, low and despicable in the human race."
(11. Laking, George; Mesford, Tim (July 1980). "Try this for Evil: The Anti-Paladin NPC" (PDF). Dragon. TSR (39): 8–9, 50–53.)

Instead of having a hot answer like in the past, I'll just lay it out like it is:  it doesn't inspire me.  Its not my calling.  Its not part of the core I wanted as a base to build the next generation on.  It does nothing for ME, regardless of how much it titillates you.  I don't want to make a remake of WoW or EQ shadow knights.  I'm the guy that has to spend time to make something.  If you can get Guspav to make it for you, and he otherwise has so much time, maybe I can get overruled.  But I wont maintain it, and might prefer to leave than have to do something I am so against internally.  Overall, I've bent over backwards to strengthen Necromancers, against my better judgement, but there is no need to do that twice.  So until you can get Guspav to drop me and put some other developer, I still say no.  It's not a democracy -- I don't see any other "voters" making it happen, so the commons vote is purely for facebook "like" effect.  It makes thousands feel good but it writes NOTHING for me.  There's only 60 real users according to latest patch use, so I've managed to fritter away Guspav's 30,000 users down to 60.  But I'm still the guy that has to write it.  I say NO.  I think TSR made a mistake in allowing shadow knights and necromancers as player classes.  They should have stayed boss NPCs, where their role in the ecosystem was sharply defined and the kind of spiritual corrosion induced by daydreaming at length about the "roleplay" decisions by the consumer at least involved solving the problem of a boss mob, not BEING the "boss mob".

So now let's look at this from the perspective of Guspav needing to replace me: 

1) Arguably, the code is not in any worse shape than it was 9 months ago.  Only Guspav and I know what the code looked like then, but I attest that it hasn't grown technically more feeble, and actually has added some functionality.  I'll accept that it picked up some quirks that arguably are worse, with my limited Rigale implementation mainly, but overall I think it improved.  Very few observers are in a position to see the contrast though.

2) PoP, Perisno, Floris, ACOK, Novo Aetas - all have no real magic system.  None of them have necromancers, or shadow knights, or anti paladins. 
More than 60 people play them.  I suppose that is the power of propaganda, but technically Phantasy 2018 already has more.  The fact that it is perceived as "less" tells me the focus doesn't need to be yet ANOTHER class but some other aspect(s) of the mod need attention.

3) Half of those teams have more than 1 active dev and all of them had more than 9 months development time.  This mod, so far as I am concerned, is JUST NOW IN ITS 9th MONTH.  Guspav had it but much of Guspav's code "needed" rewriting.  I consider 2018 and 2014 two different mods, although they do have some relation, like father and son.

There's only 60 real users according to latest patch use

Man, I just recently went to nexusmods to download. I do not check it every day.

Aside from that, i never even played paladin and I'm following the mod since guspav's version. I either play cleric, mage, barbarian or fighter. And gave necro a try as well. They're cool due to almost free troops, but meh... Just not my style. And not because of religious reasons (i'm more of a materialist, but if i have to choose then it's the Norse mythology or my country's shamanistic beliefs is what is closest to me).

It's more like, i don't like to play an all evil/all good character. More of a mix of the two. So even if I play cleric, I frequently go plunder villages and kill peasants and caravans.

It'll be a lot easier to be a paladin if you have more means to gain honor. It seems fair that eliminating the drow, orc or necro factions should give you a lot of good points. I wouldn't mind not accepting money for helping during an epidemic if it would give honor.

That's the main reason I play a cleric over a paladin, since there's few rewards for actually being good. It's more of a handicap if you choose to never attack innocents, keep ladies for ransom or burn villages.

I do it, but you get nothing for doing so.

Morrowind Mod Man said:
That's the main reason I play a cleric over a paladin, since there's few rewards for actually being good. It's more of a handicap if you choose to never attack innocents, keep ladies for ransom or burn villages.

In this sense, at least, Warband perfectly mirrors the real world! :razz:

Morrowind Mod Man said:

You get improved relations with the most reliable lords in Calradia, which eventually makes them loyal to the point that you cannot do wrong.  If you want to unite the whole map with yourself as Emperor, that's priceless. 

Also, the Holy Avenger is supposed to hurt evil enemies worse when your honor is high...  although that sword is so good to begin with, that it does not really matter.

could swadia get praven back? it feels soo wrong that the drow have it... what was wrong white the city that they had? other than the map changes i love this mod and i hope that you will countinue to improve it :smile:

Back
Top Bottom