Dev Blog 01/03/2018

Users who are viewing this thread

[parsehtml][IMG]https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_29_taleworldswebsite.jpg[/IMG] Hump day is behind us and the weekend is in sight; Thursday is upon us and it is time for another of our weekly updates! Grab a cup of [i]camel-mile[/i] tea, sit back and let us introduce you to a new addition to the [b]Mount[/b] & Blade series. [/parsehtml]Read more at: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/49

jisiting2960 said:
Why not update your blog? I have spent a day in China,I started to wait in the morning, and I spent six hours in front of my computer。
001.jpg 
,the image can't Copy and paste, Lord, what shall I do?

try use imgur or whatever image site you can use first and then use/copy image link from there.

jisiting2960 said:
: I've been waiting for five days, is this a moment, mainly is my child is only a month, I was suffering at home, or should have closed the lamp to sleep, I still need to use English translation software into Chinese to understand, can only use a computer, IPAD can'twork, no keyboard。
If you use this link , you will see the blogs in Chinese. No need for translation tool.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/261550/discussions/15/

As a side note : Blogs get released every Thursday. Unless there is a holiday in Turkey.

JuanNieve said:
Where is the madafaking devblog?
f66.png

There was no cavalry in western Europe capable of consistently breaking a well-ordered shieldwall, aside perhaps from the Byzantine Cataphracts. This was due to the relatively small size of horses, and the fact that, even with the advent of the couched lance in the 12th century, well disciplined spearmen still presented a major problem for cavalry. This was demonstrated at Hastings when the Normans, who probably were the best cavalry of the period, tried all day to break the Anglo-Saxon line.
@dr4gunov
Normans did breed big war horses. So your reason why you think cavalry was ineffective is because of Hastings? One example? Why is this the only example that people use when they talk about muh superior infantry ? Did you ever seen a horse? Did you ever ride one, or take care of one? I did, and they are very powerful and heavy beasts, now imagine 1000 of them armoured with a rider also heavy armoured and a big lance charging at you, good luck stopping that.

White Lion said:
There was no cavalry in western Europe capable of consistently breaking a well-ordered shieldwall, aside perhaps from the Byzantine Cataphracts. This was due to the relatively small size of horses, and the fact that, even with the advent of the couched lance in the 12th century, well disciplined spearmen still presented a major problem for cavalry. This was demonstrated at Hastings when the Normans, who probably were the best cavalry of the period, tried all day to break the Anglo-Saxon line.
@dr4gunov
Normans did breed big war horses. So your reason why you think cavalry was ineffective is because of Hastings? One example? Why is this the only example that people use when they talk about muh superior infantry ? Did you ever seen a horse? Did you ever ride one, or take care of one? I did, and they are very powerful and heavy beasts, now imagine 1000 of them armoured with a rider also heavy armoured and a big lance charging at you, good luck stopping that.

As far as I remember, it wasn't until the modern period that large war horses were bred. Most european warhorses of the medieval  period were no bigger than an arabian horse.

White Lion said:
@dr4gunov
Normans did breed big war horses. So your reason why you think cavalry was ineffective is because of Hastings? One example? Why is this the only example that people use when they talk about muh superior infantry ?

No it isn't one example. You are arguing with quote from wiki, which is based on research of many scholars. Provide few notable examples, showing your point of view instead of what have you written below.

I never said cavalary was ineffective. I wrote that it's main advantage was manouverability and speed, not head on charge. This alone let cavalary be winning factor in battles since bronze age. Regardless of horses size.

The battle that kickstarted domination of heavy cavalary in Europe was battle of Adrianopole between Goths and Romans. Unsuprisingly, there were no head on charges in there. As cavalary does, heavy gothic horseman appeared on wings, defeated enemy's cav, and hit main infantary body from back and side.

This pattern repeats itself from Bronze Age to 2ww.

There were few formations in history, that managed to consistently charge head on , but there were rare exceptions. And they too lost on many occasions.

Did you ever seen a horse? Did you ever ride one, or take care of one? I did, and they are very powerful and heavy beasts, now imagine 1000 of them armoured with a rider also heavy armoured and a big lance charging at you, good luck stopping that.

Your imagination does not make your theory valid. Historical sources do not prove your point at all.
As a matter of fact, I have seen horses, ridden on few. At one stage, for fun, I also took part in shield wall reanacment. However I keep my feelings regarding what's possible and not closed in a drawer for special occasions. And this occasion is a moment, when we do not have historical sources and we need to speculate.

In case of cavalary or shield walls, we do not face such obstacle.

White Lion said:
@dr4gunov

by the 11th century the average warhorse was probably 14.2 to 15 hands (58 to 60 inches, 147 to 152 cm), a size verified by studies of Norman horseshoes as well as the depictions of horses on the Bayeux Tapestry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_the_Middle_Ages#Size_of_war_horses

dHlJ7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom