SP Viking Conquest Balance Mod 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi,
why i cant easy recruit from villages in "begginer recruiting" ? In cities and castles i have an option "ask for potential recruits", in villages i must have good relations to have option "recruit volunters". Can it be changed ? sorry for my english

If you just got permission to recruit in a village, you generally have to wait a few days before the option appears. Similar to how the option disappears for a few days after you try to recruit.

In general you can’t have negative relations if you want to recruit. The beginner recruiting setting I think just changes the permission mechanic, it doesn’t mean you will actually have much success recruiting. To have a good chance of getting many men build up your relations with the village by doing quests, or aim for a village of your religion (if same religion then your renown, leadership, charisma, etc are all more effective at helping you recruit). Or get a village fief, the lord of a village will generally get dozens of men on each recruiting attempt.

I mean in village menu i dont have option to click "recruit volunters" unless i have good relation with this village. I play story mode and i been in the beginning  when Jarl Hrodulf Haraldsson wants me to recruit 15 men, i ride across the villages of Friese and only can recruit from Towns and Castles. Maybe i cant have option to recruit from villages because they are Christians and i play Pagan ?

The first paragraph of my earlier reply to you explains what is going on. Just wait a few days and you will be able to recruit.

Also, note that completing a quest and thus improving relations with a village generally removes the cooldown on village recruiting. So it is not the case that you need good relations to get the recruit option, instead the recruit option for all those villages was set on cooldown, but when you improved relations with a village by turning in a quest  it instantly removed the cooldown allowing you to recruit. In other words, the change in relations just let you recruit a few days earlier.

This is why if you arrive at a village ready to turn in a completed quest, and you are currently allowed to recruit, you can often recruit once, turn in the quest, then immediately recruit a second time. Village recruiting is kind of odd like that.

Thanks for help, but i waiting 20 days and nothing change  :???: i cannot recruit from any village  :sad: is it bug or something ?

But you said you could recruit from villages with a good relation? If you recruit from one of those villages, are you saying the recruit option doesn’t reappear? Or if doing a quest for a village is enough to fix things, and the problem is confined to Frisian villages, then you might just run a couple quick quests.

Balance Mod doesn’t change the permission to recruit/appearance of recruiting option, it only changes what happens after you hit recruit (ie the formula for how many men you get). I’m not overly familiar with the beginner recruiting game option, or its interaction with the storyline Jarl’s grant of permission in Frisia. You could search for past discussions of beginner recruiting setting in vanilla VC.

As a Pagan should I be able to recruit from towns in England  ruled by a pagan lord? I have Recruiting set to  Beginner in options.  when I ask from towns it say No one wa t to join.  Is that just a renown prob? I was able to recruit in Denmark

Hi dreadnbutter:

You have the ability to recruit as long as the option shows up, you are just not rolling any recruits. Part of that may be luck (ie, it may be rolling 0 to 1, and you are getting 0)

But yes, Northumbrian towns will be harder to recruit from for a pagan than Denmark.

Every center has a religion rating on a 100 point scale representing the disposition of the population between paganism and Christianity. That religion rating then modifies some recruiting factors, including renown, leadership, and charisma, causing them to be less effective in generating recruits based on the proportion of the opposite religion present (ie, Christians aren’t impressed by a pagan’s renown).

These numbers are adjusted carefully in Balance Mod based on plausible historical assumptions. So you will find that you have better luck in many Northumbrian castles than in the towns (although towns differ among themselves based on historical circumstance), as the Norse penetration there has gone further. But the most fertile recruiting grounds will remain Denmark and Norway, with Northumbria, Frisia, and Laithland generally a middle ground.

However, several recruiting factors completely bypass the religion adjustment. In particular, local relation with the town is not reduced in effect at all by religious differences. So if you run a few quests and make the townspeople like you, recruiting will become much easier. Bonus recruiting from being a lord of the center (especially village) is also not reduced by religion.

Those effects (local relation and lord bonus) are much stronger in Balance Mod than they were in vanilla VC, so the player has the means to develop strong local ties to further recruiting in an area. On the other hand, around-the-world recruiting tours are less productive in Balance Mod, especially with realistic travel speeds (which essentially double the rate at which recruiting option refreshes in a local area relative to travel speed). So essentially, instead of traveling from town to town recruiting as you go, plan to develop relations with recruiting bases, and prepare your expeditions from them. And if you need a lot of men, consider becoming a village lord—with dozens of men per recruiting attempt, a village can be worthwhile to own in Balance Mod.

Thanks for the detailed reply!  Interesting stuff in there for sure.  I'm a big fan of VC and really appreciate your Balance Mod.  Yea, I'm rolling 0's 100% lol.  I don't have the option to ask in the big towns.. only the villages and castles.  For instance Bebbanburh I talked to mr Mayor for task to clear bandits, hoping that helps :smile:  Thanks again for all your work on the mod!

Hello Tingyun, just wanted to say "Congratulations" that you made your way into the gaming industry.
And a sweet dog you got there.  :iamamoron:

Good luck on your way!

Thanks Plasquar! It’s good to hear from you. Yes, Hooded Horse ended up with a dog theme in the team bios, though sadly the theme was broken when I added the new bio for our developer to the website a couple days ago. Though I asked him to get a pic with his dog as well, so hopefully soon the theme will be back. :smile:

A quick announcement for everyone: VC 2.054 was released, so I’ll get to updating Balance Mod with the new fixes within the next day or two (at the latest, I will post the update late Friday night, so everyone has it for the weekend). In the meantime, reinstalling Balance Mod 11.0 will work fine and everything will be save compatible.

Just an update: as promised I will release the update tonight. I’m working on it, and I won’t go to sleep until it is finished, tested, and uploaded.

EDIT: Delaying until tomorrow to get and integrate Dhamon's additional changes. Should easily be worth the extra day wait. :smile:

Hi Tingyun,

Sorry for the delay, I was busy working and then releasing a long-due update to a mod for another game.
I hope there is still time to add my tweak to display more information on the captured ship before in the capture screen.

Here are my compiled menus.txt and the source python file (module_game_menus.py):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ad6dwxx7jv8piv5/VC_BalanceMod_MoreInfosShipCaptures.zip/file

I've only modified the ship_capture function in the module_game_menus.py, here is the code snippet:
Code:
    "ship_capture",0,
    "You are able to capture one of the enemy's ships. It's a {s2} made of {s3} wood, {s5} the fight, the '{s1}' is in {s4} conditions. Do you want to add this ship to your fleet?",
    "none",
    [
      (assign, ":blocking", 0),
      (try_begin),
        # Player only joined the battle?
        (eq, "$g_joined_battle_to_help", 1),
        (assign, ":blocking", 1),
      (else_try),
        # Player has room for another ship?
        (store_skill_level, ":cur_sea_king_skill", "skl_sea_king", "trp_player"),
        (val_mul, ":cur_sea_king_skill", 2),	#new skill adjust
        (val_min, ":cur_sea_king_skill", 7),	#new skill adjust
        (val_sub, ":cur_sea_king_skill", 1),
        (store_add, ":slot", slot_party_1_ship_type, ":cur_sea_king_skill"),
        (party_get_slot, ":ship_type", "p_main_party", ":slot"),
        (neq, ":ship_type", 0),
      (else_try),
        # Player has luck?
        (party_get_skill_level, ":player_party_looting", "p_main_party", "skl_looting"),
        (store_add, ":chance", TWEAK_CHANCE_CAPTURING_SHIP, ":player_party_looting"), # 10% is basic chance (up to 20% with looting skill)
        (try_begin),
          (eq, "$easy_wage", 1),# VC-3003
          (val_mul, ":chance", 140),	#so up to 28%
          (val_div, ":chance", 100),
        (try_end),
        (store_random_in_range, ":rand", 1, 101),
        (gt, ":rand", ":chance"), # = no luck
      (else_try),
        # invalid ship type entry (for example caused by VC-3658)
        (try_begin),
          (eq, "$player_team_in_sea_battle", 0),
          (assign, ":quest", "qst_team_1_ships"),
        (else_try),
          (assign, ":quest", "qst_team_0_ships"),
        (end_try),
        (quest_get_slot, ":ship_type", ":quest", slot_quest_1_ship_type),
        (this_or_next|lt, ":ship_type", ship_type_busse),
        (gt, ":ship_type", ship_type_byrding),
      (end_try),

(try_begin),
        (neq, ":blocking", 0),	# = no ship capture
        (jump_to_menu, "mnu_total_victory"),
      (else_try),
        # all is ok:
        (try_begin),
          (eq, "$player_team_in_sea_battle", 0),
          (assign, ":quest", "qst_team_1_ships"),
        (else_try),
          (assign, ":quest", "qst_team_0_ships"),
        (end_try),
        (quest_get_slot, "$ship_menu_current_ship_type", ":quest", slot_quest_1_ship_type),
        (store_random_in_range, "$ship_menu_current_ship_name", "str_ship_name_1", "str_ship_names_end"),
        (store_random_in_range, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", TWEAK_CAPTURED_SHIP_CONDITION_MIN, TWEAK_CAPTURED_SHIP_CONDITION_MAX),
        (quest_get_slot, "$ship_menu_current_ship_propertys", ":quest", slot_quest_1_ship_prop),

(set_background_mesh,"mesh_pic_extra_viejo"),
        (str_store_string, s1, "$ship_menu_current_ship_name"),
        (call_script,  "script_get_ship_properties", "$ship_menu_current_ship_type"),
        (str_store_string, s2, reg7), #type_name
        (call_script, "script_decode_value", "$ship_menu_current_ship_propertys"),
        (assign, ":ship_wood", reg1),
        (try_begin),
          (eq, ":ship_wood", 1),
          (str_store_string, s3, "@oak"),
        (else_try),
          (eq, ":ship_wood", 2),
          (str_store_string, s3, "@pine"),
        (else_try),
          (str_store_string, s3, "@ash"),
        (end_try),
        (try_begin),
          (gt, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", 80),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@very good"),
          (str_store_string, s5, "@and despite"),
        (else_try),
          (gt, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", 60),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@good"),
        (else_try),
          (gt, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", 40),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@acceptable"),
        (else_try),
          (gt, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", 20),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@bad"),
          (str_store_string, s5, "@but due to"),
        (else_try),
          (gt, "$ship_menu_current_ship_quality", 5),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@very bad"),
        (else_try),
          (str_store_string, s4, "@dangerous"),
        (end_try),
      (end_try),

],

There is also another modification I did, but I don't know if you might be interested, since it make the game easier.
I've changed the player disguise to have the same equipment as the watchman unit, and changed the text to say that "Disguised in the garments of a common mercenary, you fool the guards and make your way into the town."
I've changed it for the following reasons:
1 I've always found impossible to survive the crowd of spear-armed guards with the meager equipment of a pilgrim
2 The equipment of the watchman unit is not OP, kinda easy to find and fits any city, while the pilgrim disguise seems more oriented towards Christians, which doesn't make sense for pagan towns
3 we don't see any pilgrims in cities, on the other hands, cities are full of guards, warriors and mercenaries. It would make more sense to disguise as a common mercenary, at least if you are found you actually have a backup option (fighting) and you are not automatically screwed.

Let me know if you are interested, I can post the code I've changed. The changes are in module_mission_templates.py (for the actual equipment change) and module_game_menus.py (for the text)

Hi Dhamon,

Thanks! Yes, please do post your code (ideally, please link a download to your altered module file as you did for the menus change, that way I can use winmerge to integrate your changes which is much easier for me). Your disguise change sounds great, and I definitely want to include it. If you happen to have any other awesome changes hanging around, tell me about them too, these are great!

Everyone:

I am going to delay until tomorrow so I can integrate Dhamon's changes as well. Unfortunately with 3 main versions and several optional add-ons, even a small change like that means a long process of making each variant file and testing, but I am sure everyone will agree the slight delay is worth it for this.

Great!

Here it is:
module_mission_templates.py
https://www.mediafire.com/file/785bgf0k476c5pp/module_mission_templates.py/file

module_game_menus.py
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5roqu326f8gtma4/module_game_menus.py/file

They include the "More ship info at capture screen" and "Common mercenary disguise tweaks".
Note that for the mercenary disguise I've given the crappiest equipment the watchman unit has. Still, with a shield and a light spear it is more feasible to survive now.

Since we find a bunch of mercs in every town inn, it makes sense to disguise like one!

Dhamon, this is great. Thank you. I am sure players are going to like your improvements a lot.

Everyone: I didn't finish work until now (2:30am my time) (the joy of weekends in a startup indie game company), so I'm going to grab a little sleep, then add Dhamon's work and release the update tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, but I am sure getting Dhamon's changes in will be worth the wait (as a reminder, there is full save compatibility with 11.0, so just keep playing that until tomorrow).

Balance Mod 12.0 released!

All full-install versions and optional add-ons are up to date on Nexus now. EDIT: ModDB as well now.

Thank you Dhamon for contributing your great changes!

Tingyun,

It's me again. I haven't been able to edit my travel speeds correctly, and my party is always moving faster than other parties, even though I have 700+ troops +following party. Even when I'm chasing down just one person I'm still faster. Are you able to send me the source files for travel speeds so I can use it to build my own mod for myself?

On the other side, is it possible to force start quests? The Morrigan quest is not starting for me. I may have messed up on editing, so that could be the possibility.

Hi HighOnez,

I can’t troubleshoot errors that may have resulted from personal edits, but you could use a saved game editor to start the quest, or just mod probably simple triggers to make it start. EDIT: Also I think the quest triggers when you walk around at sufficiently high level on land outside of town, so you might be just missing the trigger by being in towns at unlucky times resting or at sea, make a backup save and spend a few days walking in circles to check.

I can send you a module file that has the vanilla travel speed modification in it that you can use to build your mod. Send me an email (you can use the contact email listed at the bottom of the Hooded Horse website meet the team page) and I’ll reply in a day or so and attach the vanilla travel speeds module file. EDIT: https://hoodedhorse.com/team/

Tingyun,

I'll use the email address to get the source, so thanks for that.

Is there a tutorial for how to trigger a quest with the save editor? I'm using the latest version of Warbender right now for anyone that knows how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom