Author Topic: [VC][S] VC Balance Mod (saved game compatible)  (Read 45404 times)

Plasquar

• Grandmaster Knight
    • Twitch.tv - plasquar/
    • YouTube - olOfrostOlo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: [VC][S] VC Balance Mod (saved game compatible)
« Reply #690 on: October 03, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Hello Tingyun, just wanted to say "Congratulations" that you made your way into the gaming industry.
And a sweet dog you got there.  :iamamoron:

Good luck on your way!
Let's Play:

The Last Days of the Third Age (v3.5)
Viking Conquest Reforged (Balance Mod + Graphics mod)
Prophesy of Pendor (v3.9)
Nova Aetas (v5.0)
Perisno (v0.9)
(All with Hardest settings/Realistic saving)

Discord: https://discord.gg/CuxRAy3

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
  • Hooded Horse Inc., an Indie Game Studio in Texas
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • Twitter - @HoodedHorseInc
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #691 on: October 10, 2019, 07:40:48 AM »
Thanks Plasquar! It’s good to hear from you. Yes, Hooded Horse ended up with a dog theme in the team bios, though sadly the theme was broken when I added the new bio for our developer to the website a couple days ago. Though I asked him to get a pic with his dog as well, so hopefully soon the theme will be back. :)

A quick announcement for everyone: VC 2.054 was released, so I’ll get to updating Balance Mod with the new fixes within the next day or two (at the latest, I will post the update late Friday night, so everyone has it for the weekend). In the meantime, reinstalling Balance Mod 11.0 will work fine and everything will be save compatible.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:48:05 AM by Tingyun »

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #692 on: October 12, 2019, 03:35:56 AM »
Just an update: as promised I will release the update tonight. I’m working on it, and I won’t go to sleep until it is finished, tested, and uploaded.

EDIT: Delaying until tomorrow to get and integrate Dhamon's additional changes. Should easily be worth the extra day wait. :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 06:58:37 AM by Tingyun »

Dhamon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 12, 2019, 05:57:33 AM »
Hi Tingyun,

Sorry for the delay, I was busy working and then releasing a long-due update to a mod for another game.
I hope there is still time to add my tweak to display more information on the captured ship before in the capture screen.

Here are my compiled menus.txt and the source python file (module_game_menus.py):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ad6dwxx7jv8piv5/VC_BalanceMod_MoreInfosShipCaptures.zip/file

I've only modified the ship_capture function in the module_game_menus.py, here is the code snippet:
(click to show/hide)

There is also another modification I did, but I don't know if you might be interested, since it make the game easier.
I've changed the player disguise to have the same equipment as the watchman unit, and changed the text to say that "Disguised in the garments of a common mercenary, you fool the guards and make your way into the town."
I've changed it for the following reasons:
1 I've always found impossible to survive the crowd of spear-armed guards with the meager equipment of a pilgrim
2 The equipment of the watchman unit is not OP, kinda easy to find and fits any city, while the pilgrim disguise seems more oriented towards Christians, which doesn't make sense for pagan towns
3 we don't see any pilgrims in cities, on the other hands, cities are full of guards, warriors and mercenaries. It would make more sense to disguise as a common mercenary, at least if you are found you actually have a backup option (fighting) and you are not automatically screwed.

Let me know if you are interested, I can post the code I've changed. The changes are in module_mission_templates.py (for the actual equipment change) and module_game_menus.py (for the text)

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #694 on: October 12, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »
Hi Dhamon,

Thanks! Yes, please do post your code (ideally, please link a download to your altered module file as you did for the menus change, that way I can use winmerge to integrate your changes which is much easier for me). Your disguise change sounds great, and I definitely want to include it. If you happen to have any other awesome changes hanging around, tell me about them too, these are great!

Everyone:

I am going to delay until tomorrow so I can integrate Dhamon's changes as well. Unfortunately with 3 main versions and several optional add-ons, even a small change like that means a long process of making each variant file and testing, but I am sure everyone will agree the slight delay is worth it for this.

Dhamon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 12, 2019, 11:03:39 AM »
Great!

Here it is:
module_mission_templates.py
https://www.mediafire.com/file/785bgf0k476c5pp/module_mission_templates.py/file

module_game_menus.py
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5roqu326f8gtma4/module_game_menus.py/file

They include the "More ship info at capture screen" and "Common mercenary disguise tweaks".
Note that for the mercenary disguise I've given the crappiest equipment the watchman unit has. Still, with a shield and a light spear it is more feasible to survive now.

Since we find a bunch of mercs in every town inn, it makes sense to disguise like one!

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #696 on: October 13, 2019, 08:39:25 AM »
Dhamon, this is great. Thank you. I am sure players are going to like your improvements a lot.

Everyone: I didn't finish work until now (2:30am my time) (the joy of weekends in a startup indie game company), so I'm going to grab a little sleep, then add Dhamon's work and release the update tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, but I am sure getting Dhamon's changes in will be worth the wait (as a reminder, there is full save compatibility with 11.0, so just keep playing that until tomorrow).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:09:55 AM by Tingyun »

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2019, 06:10:06 AM »
Balance Mod 12.0 released!

All full-install versions and optional add-ons are up to date on Nexus now. EDIT: ModDB as well now.

Thank you Dhamon for contributing your great changes!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:10:30 AM by Tingyun »

HighOnez

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 19, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
Tingyun,

It's me again. I haven't been able to edit my travel speeds correctly, and my party is always moving faster than other parties, even though I have 700+ troops +following party. Even when I'm chasing down just one person I'm still faster. Are you able to send me the source files for travel speeds so I can use it to build my own mod for myself?

On the other side, is it possible to force start quests? The Morrigan quest is not starting for me. I may have messed up on editing, so that could be the possibility.

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #699 on: October 19, 2019, 11:11:44 PM »
Hi HighOnez,

I can’t troubleshoot errors that may have resulted from personal edits, but you could use a saved game editor to start the quest, or just mod probably simple triggers to make it start. EDIT: Also I think the quest triggers when you walk around at sufficiently high level on land outside of town, so you might be just missing the trigger by being in towns at unlucky times resting or at sea, make a backup save and spend a few days walking in circles to check.

I can send you a module file that has the vanilla travel speed modification in it that you can use to build your mod. Send me an email (you can use the contact email listed at the bottom of the Hooded Horse website meet the team page) and I’ll reply in a day or so and attach the vanilla travel speeds module file. EDIT: https://hoodedhorse.com/team/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:23:12 PM by Tingyun »

HighOnez

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 19, 2019, 11:49:42 PM »
Tingyun,

I'll use the email address to get the source, so thanks for that.

Is there a tutorial for how to trigger a quest with the save editor? I'm using the latest version of Warbender right now for anyone that knows how to use it.

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #701 on: October 22, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
I honestly have never tried to edit quest state with a saved game editor, but I'd imagine it is pretty easy, should mostly be a matter of changing a number somewhere. Hardest part is probably figuring out what to change, but checking the module files for that quest should find it fairly easily. I'd imagine you could find some past post on the forums on this, I mean messing with quest state has to be something people do fairly often. Anyway, sent you the vanilla travel speeds source file over email a couple hours ago, happy conquests!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:41:46 AM by Tingyun »

HighOnez

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:18 AM »
Hey, Tingyun.

I have a suggestion for your balance mod. You could add in the additional height options for the character creation. Troll height could have a massive increase to strength while having a massive decrease to agility, and Child height vice-versa. I tried implementing these options in the .py, but I always end up with errors.

Just wanna roleplay a child conquering all of Scandinavia lol.

Tingyun

• Knight at Arms
    • Steam - hoodedhorse
    • View Profile
    • Hooded Horse
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:34 AM »
Unfortunately that’s a kind of change that seems small but could have unforeseen glitchy effects elsewhere. I try to avoid those kinds of changes, as they have limited gameplay benefit (many players won’t use them at all) but would require an enormous amount of testing to ensure no errors cropped up. Especially in this late stage of Balance Mod’s development, stability and ensuring no bugs are introduced are basically the most important things.

Side point, but taller height is a huge advantage. If you fight in tournaments in Northumbria, even in vanilla VC where all lords have the same stats, Ubbe/Hubbi wins a large percentage of the time, just because of his giant height. I think it has to do with striking over shields, or maybe headshots, but the effect is dramatic. Of course in Balance Mod Ubbe also has 500 WP and maxed strength, so he has another reason for victory, but his outperformance is dramatic enough even in vanilla VC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:22:44 AM by Tingyun »

Cyprian2

• Recruit
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #704 on: November 03, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
Hi Tingyun. This seems like the very thing I've been looking for! Sorry to ask, but does "save-game compatible" mean that I can apply the mod while in the middle of a Vanilla Reforged campaign? If so, seems almost too good to be true. Either way, mod looks fantastic. :wink: