[submod] huebydoo's Heavies

Users who are viewing this thread

UPDATE: all download links will now lead the the latest version. You can find detailed info about the newest version on page 3 of this thread.
It includes everything i've made thus far, including Heavy cavalry units, Prussians and rheinbund.

Hello all, long time l'aigle player (and forum lurker) here

I love this mod and am looking forward to future updates, but in the meantime find myself wanting for some gloriously overpowered endgame Heavy cavalry. so i decided to try my hand at making my own, and it worked out well enough that I thought i'd share it. It adds four new troops, Grenadiers and carabiniers a cheval for France, and the royal horse guards and lifeguards for Britian, as well as a new sabre for the horse grenadiers.

France
Grenadiers a cheval:
HK3OQX7.jpg
No introduction needed, they kick ass and take names. endgame French Heavy cavalry, upgrade from Carabiniers and Veteran Cuirassiers. They are armed with a special sabre, as well as an infantry musket, making them serviceable foot soldiers in a pinch

grenadier a cheval sabre:
6QXYBFd.jpg
New sabre for the Grenadiers. Model is borrowed from NW, so due credit to whoever made it please don't sue me, simply re textured it to fit in better with L'aigle. You should be able to find it at gunsmiths like any sword. the scabbard might look a little wonky, but it was designed for NW, so not much i can do

Carabiniers a cheval:
UGstJPX.jpg
The elite of the french line Cavalry, they are an alternative in the french troop tree to the veteran cuirassiers (regular cuirassiers can either upgrade to veterans or carabiniers). As such there are a few trade-offs between the two. Carabiners have better melee stats, as well as being armed with a carbine. Cuirassiers have the advantage of body armour however, so a mix of the two would be advisable.

Britain
Royal Horseguards:
azivKlX.jpg

Lifeguards:
tQRo73o.jpg
The uniforms aren't exactly perfect, but not too shabby i'd say given my limited abilities. Its also bloody impossible to find pictures of their uniforms pre-1812, so who knows if they are correct or not. Anyways, they are both endgame heavies for britain, dragoon guards can upgrade into either. they are competitive with, but not quite as good as the grenadiers a cheval.

there are some differences between the two, the life guards are a bit better in melee, while the horse guards are better shots, and armed with a carbine while the lifeguards have pistols.

First mod i've ever made, so critique or suggestions are welcome, hope you enjoy it!

Notes:
  • if you want the uniforms for your character, you'll have to use cheatmenu. i have no idea how to add it to the depots
  • Back up your save files, i've had mixed results testing for save game compatibilty. safest bet is to start fresh with a new game
  • The empress dragoons will now use the grenadier sabre, this is historically accurate

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n33t341vk75aawj/huebydoo_v5.zip/file

Installation is standard procedure, back up whatever you replace in case it all goes horribly wrong, and just copy the contents into your main L'aigle directory

Quote - "... if you want the uniforms for your character, you'll have to use cheatmenu. i have no idea how to add it to the depots ..."

FYI, have a look here:
Adding uniforms/items to Depot Menus --

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,347673.msg8319689.html#msg8319689

Especially post (reply) #7.

And maybe here, if you want to do some more work on your saddles --

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348694.60.html

Page 5, post (reply) #70.

Good Modding!

Wonderful. Exactly what I've been looking for! However, am I not right in thinking that the helmets are incorrect for the Household Cavalry? Or maybe I've watched Sharpe's Waterloo one too many times.

FYI, have a look here:Adding uniforms/items to Depot Menus

Thanks, i'll work on a patch that puts the uniforms in the depot menus

If you're still curious, the lifeguads wore basically the same uniform as the horseguards but with reversed colours.

That was my first version, but i did find several images of them wearing the red double breasted jacket, perhaps a campaign uniform? anyways i'll include the fancy jacket in an update.

Wonderful. Exactly what I've been looking for! However, am I not right in thinking that the helmets are incorrect for the Household Cavalry? Or maybe I've watched Sharpe's Waterloo one too many times.

Appreciate the kind words! The uniforms that they wore at Waterloo (with the helmets) were introduced in 1812, before that they wore bicornes and old-style jackets with lapels, and L'aigle takes place in 1809 

Not intending to "derail" this thread, but ...

Some of the earlier episodes of the "Sharpe's Rifles" series were set in 1809-1810.  But, I'm not sure their uniform depictions in the series are entirely accurate.  (You would think a BBC production about their own history would have done exhaustive research -- but then, "TV production cost overruns" may have played a part ...).

Anyway, "uniformology" is a rather tricky subject in the first place.
Some famous military historian once wrote on the subject, saying:
  "There are always three versions of any uniform in any period of history --
  - Those prescribed in the regulations;
  - Those depicted in surviving contemporary artwork or descriptions of the time;
and
  -  What the troops actually wore."

So, ya done good.  If the result pleases you, it's probably fine.  Thanks for sharing your work.

New and improved!

Some saucy new (and much more accurate) uniforms for the household cavalry
Xkpbh3q.jpg
TrreEcy.jpg

All the uniforms, as well as the grenadier a cheval saber, should now be available for purchase at their respective nation's military depots. Credit to Hemiola for his excellent tutorial on editing the menus.txt file

I've also included a new, proper black horse for the horse grenadiers, the brown cuirassier horse just wasn't doing it for me

the first version isn't required to install, but it should be compatible if you have a save with the old version on the go. Enjoy!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n33t341vk75aawj/huebydoo_v5.zip/file

Have a question concerning all sub mods; can I just copy/paste the last one/two in this case 4 units from the troop.txt and move them at the bottom of mine one and so on or is it not supposed to work that way?

I'm asking as I already did, the games works, but the troops do not appear so I'm a tad confused...

You'll have to copy the whole thing over and replace it, the reason being that the entries for some units higher up in the file are changed in order for them to upgrade into the new units. if you really want to keep your old troops.txt, you could copy over the entries for french cuirassiers and veteran cuirassiers, as well as british dragoon guards and that should let you upgrade them.

Very nice!
@KingGeorge: when I have only text files to work with, I copy the troop file I want to inspect in a test module(say, a Native copy) and view the troop relations in an editor. You can compare numbers of troops that they upgrade too in a text editor, but that can be quite confusing, especially if you have modified your troop file by adding stuff.

For text files, that works fine for me.

@KingGeorge -- I use "Morgh's Editor" for manipulating text files.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/?topic=105928.0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cC2UVnQXdsMFxt7PepGbCWtNcOau4CiA
It's very easy to use, has a GUI interface that puts all those numbers in "boxes" to show what they control (including any "upgrade path"), which helps eliminate/minimize the "confusion factor" that Howard P. Lovecraft mentioned, automatically makes backup copies of your original files (in case you need to recover your original stuff, and forgot to backup before you started), and .. it's free.
Like you, I've already made extensive changes to my "Troops.txt" and "Items.txt" files, so whenever an interesting new "sub-mod" becomes available, I'd rather check it out to see what the mod author had in mind, and then "merge" his/her changes into what I already have and am enjoying.  Best of both worlds.

Incidentally, besides using "Morgh's Editor" to check out newly-downloaded .txt files, you can also use the "file compare" function of Microsoft Word (most computers come with it already installed. It's found under the "Review" tab) to see exactly what ALL the differences are between your own "Troops.txt" and any new sub-mod "Troops.txt" file (or any other .txt files you want to compare), to help you decide what, if any, changes you want to make. 
(See Reply #79 on page 3 in this thread -- https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348694.msg8396503.html#msg8396503 )
But, that involves scrolling through all the entries, and I like things simple.

Like, for example, the answer to your last question can be found in Huebydoo's very first post in this thread --
Quote -
"... they are both endgame heavies for britain, dragoon guards can upgrade into either ..."
But, you already know that now.

Oh. and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone out there!  :party:

huebydoo said:
The British heavies upgrade from dragoon guards

Tnx

Hemiola said:
@KingGeorge -- I use "Morgh's Editor" for manipulating text files.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/?topic=105928.0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cC2UVnQXdsMFxt7PepGbCWtNcOau4CiA
It's very easy to use, has a GUI interface that puts all those numbers in "boxes" to show what they control (including any "upgrade path"), which helps eliminate/minimize the "confusion factor" that Howard P. Lovecraft mentioned, automatically makes backup copies of your original files (in case you need to recover your original stuff, and forgot to backup before you started), and .. it's free.
Like you, I've already made extensive changes to my "Troops.txt" and "Items.txt" files, so whenever an interesting new "sub-mod" becomes available, I'd rather check it out to see what the mod author had in mind, and then "merge" his/her changes into what I already have and am enjoying.  Best of both worlds.

Incidentally, besides using "Morgh's Editor" to check out newly-downloaded .txt files, you can also use the "file compare" function of Microsoft Word (most computers come with it already installed. It's found under the "Review" tab) to see exactly what ALL the differences are between your own "Troops.txt" and any new sub-mod "Troops.txt" file (or any other .txt files you want to compare), to help you decide what, if any, changes you want to make. 
(See Reply #79 on page 3 in this thread -- https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348694.msg8396503.html#msg8396503 )
But, that involves scrolling through all the entries, and I like things simple.

Like, for example, the answer to your last question can be found in Huebydoo's very first post in this thread --
Quote -
"... they are both endgame heavies for britain, dragoon guards can upgrade into either ..."
But, you already know that now.

Oh. and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone out there!  :party:

Tnx for the reply and for the review function! I'm sure it will come in handy :wink: 

Back
Top Bottom