Cornubia Name

Users who are viewing this thread

Cale

Sergeant
I was asked to put this here and subsequently found one post on the subject but still not sure it's right:

I understand that the choice was made to go with a Latin name from a charter, but I think there might be a slight mistranslation going on which, apart from the odd use of a Latin word for a Brythonic-speaking people, probably means an alternative would be more suitable. For my evidence I present, to start with, the Annales Cambriae entry for 875 when King Donyarth of Cornwall drowns in the river Fowey (Taken in this case from here: http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artsou/annales.htm as it has side by side translation)

875  Dungarth king of Cernyw ‡that is of the Cornish‡ was drowned.
        Dungarth rex Cerniu, †id est Cornubiae,† mersus est.

So, using this latin entry for comparison the Kingdoms name currently is 'Kingdom of Cornish'.

Cerniu (which phoneticises over time to Kernow) would be the actual kingdom name. This is reflected by it's appearance in the Armes Prydain where Cornwall is this time referred to as Cornyw (http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/t06w.html) this again is fairly similar when spoken out loud to Kernow (although my welsh isn't good). I believe it may also appear in the Bodmin Manumissions (as a place name rather then a kingdom) but I don't remember 100% and I can't find a searchable text.

Finally, we know Kernow is in later (medieval) use during the rise of written Cornish works, and indeed is today the modern Cornish word for the country.

As such, I'd suggest either Kernow is used in place of Cornubia. Or, if sticking to the latin, Cerniu which at least looks less odd on the map and maintains this link.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter, but it does irk me slightly when playing so thought I'd bring it up.

EDIT: Quick note on pronounciation. A lot of English people pronounce Kernow as Cur-NOW but the Cornish waying of saying it is more along the lines of Kerr-nuu/noo which may make the linguistic links between the above a bit more obvious.

Back
Top Bottom