Britain 1297 [Original thread]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The_Dark_Fire said:
...and the welsh both have kilts
[citation needed]

Welsh “cilts” seem to have been invented for marketing purposes within the last 10 years or so :???:

I dont see why not... :mrgreen:

As to the realism of kilts, the most important thing is making the scottish troops stand out! I shall be very angry if kilts are not implemented, sporran and all!

Also, custom sound files, I'm scottish so I could probably do some voices

The_Dark_Fire said:
Well actually while ceremonial kilts were popularised in the 16th century they had been a traditional highland clothing for years, thats one of the reasons why both the irish and the welsh both have kilts. The ones we see today are more famous for being used in the 19th century. And while they probably wern't used during the 1200's as military out fits it wouldn't hurt to put them in. If we don't we'll end up with very bland looking scottish militia. And if we do have kilts coolness increases ten fold.

No they weren't, traditional highland dress is trews, not Kilts. Kilts were imported by the Pretender, prior to that you had Trews and tartans.

Great idea for a mod.  Though I think I'd have set it earlier, when Edward I was still alive, as the battles were a bit more back and forward then.  Edward II was just rubbish.

Also, a comment on the troop trees (a similar problem to a lot of mods).  You have English recruits able to advance to "english nobles".  This is obviously nonsense, as the whole point of nobility was that it's something you're born into.

I would suggest following the example of Lords of War (quality mod!) and having nobles recruited separately from commoners.  Pick up commoners as normal in any tavern or village, but recruit nobles from Lords.  Only nobles can become knights or footknights.

English Recruit      \
                        |   
                  English_Man_at_Arms  English Archer
                        |   
            /    English_Infantryman              \
English Horseman        |                    English Longbowman
                  English_Heavy_Infantry            \
                                                              English Veteran Longbowman
                  English_Infantry_Veteren

Noble
                        /            \
          English Knight        Footknight
              /                                  \
English Veteran Knight            Veteran Foot Knight

I'd suggest a few changes to the infantry line as well, perhaps including Billmen as an option.

Very nice looking mod! I found one mistake in mod's description - Edward II wasn't king in 1299, he was coronated in 1308. So, you should put there Edward I Longshanks (known also as a Hammer of The Scots).
Odin Doomhammer said:
Though I think I'd have set it earlier, when Edward I was still alive, as the battles were a bit more back and forward then.  Edward II was just rubbish.

Agreed, I'd like to see the earlier times when Edward I was fighting with Llewelyn ap Gruffydd - "Prince of Wales". You could make a very big storyline - for example: kidnapping Eleonore de Montfort (daughter of Baron of Leicester, she was going to be a wife of Lllewelyn) by pirates (Eleonore was travelling from France to Wales).

If you are really going to show only Scots it's ok, but I want to see some Welsh warfare :razz:.

I'm also of the 'Edward I' persuasion.  Fighting Edward II would not be much of a challenge, but Edward I was a formidable commander. 

As to the kilts, no, traditional tartans did not exist in the 1200's.  Furthermore, we really need the kilt 'coolness' factor?  Personally, I don't think 'coolness' should be a factor.  How cool would it be if William Wallace is a lesbian cyborg that knows ninjitsu and battles Republicans?  Yes, pretty cool.  But stupid nonetheless.

Now I sure some of us would love there to be kilts, blue war paint, Australian-Americans who think they're Scottish, and the usual laundry list of fallacies that have snuck into the collective conscious.  However, some of us would like to play something realistic.  We're only perpetuating ignorance by passing off anachronisms as 'cool'.  I'm not saying things should be perfectly accurate, but an historical mod would benefit from some attempt to ground it in reality.   

cool_guy said:
-Peter- said:
6oinvc.jpg

am i mistaken or is that a byzantine (eastern roman empire) guy? judging by the time period. the emblem is of the romans that west empire was long gone by now.
or did one of these factions use the romanii insignia?

That shouldn't have been there :razz: that was the first one I made to experiment, gonna remove it now.

@ you Edward the 1st lovers, even if I set it at the start of the war he was still in his late 50's so having him on a battle field seems a bit dodgy to me, I may include both however, Edward I as King and Edward II as the first lord.

@ The_Dark_Fire if you wish to combine the two mods then I'd be more than happy too, I like the idea of expanding it from just Scotland and England, I was thinking of adding Ireland myself. I don't see much point in having two relatively similar mods when we could get one done faster and of better quality, obviously for a 1.0 release as I'm still gonna release it as a minimod pretty soon.

Reminder : If anyone feels like getting involved when a module system etc. is sorted out then feel free to pm me.

I'm feeling an overpowering erge to slash a few english heads from thier english bodies. Oh dear I didn't swear when saying english. I realy do need to kill some. I suppose some cambells would do untill I can find some english.
Good idea. I'll help if I can (once the module system is out.)

-Peter- said:
@ you Edward the 1st lovers, even if I set it at the start of the war he was still in his late 50's so having him on a battle field seems a bit dodgy to me, I may include both however, Edward I as King and Edward II as the first lord.

I believe he still lead from the front, even at that age.

It just seems better to me to have Wallace facing off against Longshanks, rather than the Bruce facing off against a complete nobody loser.  Always best to have two strong protagonists, like Richard and Saladin, makes for a more compelling backdrop.

Odin Doomhammer said:
-Peter- said:

I believe he still lead from the front, even at that age.

It just seems better to me to have Wallace facing off against Longshanks, rather than the Bruce facing off against a complete nobody loser.  Always best to have two strong protagonists, like Richard and Saladin, makes for a more compelling backdrop.

Good point I've added him in now as the King and Edward II as a lord, however the majority of his physical stats are going to be crap, however the mental ones will be increased.

Front page updated with new English lords.

English Lords :-

Edward_II_of_England (King)
Edward_I
Alfred_of_Worcestershire
Godfrey_of_Lancashire
Robert_of_Kent
Gilbert_of_Yorkshire
Henry_of_Norfolk
Ralf_of_Essex
John_of_Northumbria
Thomas_of_Durham
Hugh_of_Warwickshire
Richard_of_Somerset
John_de_Warenne
Sir_Adam
Sir_Geoffrey
Sir_Arthur
Lord_Aston
Lord_Benjamin
Lord_Taylor
Lord_Swanton
Lord_Oswald

The knights will be using this as their banner :-

knightsbanner.jpg

The lords and the King will be using this :-

Lordandkingbanner.jpg

And the Earls will be using their county's flags (once I get them in the right order).

Just a suggestion - you should use more varied and diverse banners and coats of arms for the english knights. It seems to me that it'd be more than possible to get decent, and historical, coats of arms for them.

ArabArcher35 said:
Just a suggestion - you should use more varied and diverse banners and coats of arms for the english knights. It seems to me that it'd be more than possible to get decent, and historical, coats of arms for them.

I would have done that as that's pretty much what I done with the Earls, used different county's flags as their banners, however I wanted to use around half of the lords to use the main 2 English banners so that they're like the actual parties that make up the English army rather than the 10 Earl's who are representing their region.

-Peter- said:
Front page updated with new English lords.

English Lords :-

Edward_II_of_England (King)
Edward_I

Alfred_of_Worcestershire
Godfrey_of_Lancashire
Robert_of_Kent
Gilbert_of_Yorkshire
Henry_of_Norfolk
Ralf_of_Essex
John_of_Northumbria
Thomas_of_Durham
Hugh_of_Warwickshire
Richard_of_Somerset
John_de_Warenne
Sir_Adam
Sir_Geoffrey
Sir_Arthur
Lord_Aston
Lord_Benjamin
Lord_Taylor
Lord_Swanton
Lord_Oswald

The knights will be using this as their banner :-

knightsbanner.jpg

The lords and the King will be using this :-

Lordandkingbanner.jpg

And the Earls will be using their county's flags (once I get them in the right order).
The red indicates that Edward II is king, maybe just a typo?

I am not trying to get banned, ,but I thought that in this forum was about downloading mods and speaking for the is this unreal?
:mrgreen:

Emperor_Danny said:
I am not trying to get banned, ,but I thought that in this forum was about downloading mods and speaking for the is this unreal?
:mrgreen:

Na, this is for mods in development, not necessarily released ones, however in answer to your pm/posts it'll there will most likely be a download link up on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom