Recommend a Documentary

Users who are viewing this thread

It bothers me how many documentaries are just trash. The further back they're set in history, the more they look like pulp fantasy with random conjecture as the whole point of the docu.

Not related to any suggested here, just venting

There are some extraordinarily awful WW2 documentaries out there too, though.

-Peter- said:
Great channel for Youtube style documentaries on battles/wars

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMmaBzfCCwZ2KqaBJjkj0fw/videos
Very nice, they have videos on some really nice subjects like the battle of Ankara which I don't see very often!

There's a really cheap lazy WW2 one on the history channel which is just 3D animations of tanks firing at each other under the pretense of "historical simulation", and about a paragraph of information about some armorued offensive on the Eastern front, spread out over an hour of runtime. Forgotten what it's called, but it's the pinnacle of what makes bad TV documentaries.

NHK does excellent documentaries but I'm not sure if they're all on youtube. Here's one about thousands of secret US nukes in Okinawa which were in violation of agreements with Japan itself and China during the Nixon era.

Captured Joe said:
-Peter- said:
Great channel for Youtube style documentaries on battles/wars

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMmaBzfCCwZ2KqaBJjkj0fw/videos
Very nice, they have videos on some really nice subjects like the battle of Ankara which I don't see very often!

Great isn't it, covers a lot of wars that you don't see pushed very much over this part of the world despite them being some of the most interesting.

Wulfburk said:
Nice small documentary on the nagas side in the battle of kohima

This actually interests me a lot. The Burma campaign is a severely unexplored theme and this doc takes an interesting approach to it.

I'll give some suggestions myself.
If you are interested in the Pacific theatre of WWII, this one ( Hell in the Pacific )is a great BBC documentary, with interviews to british, american, japanese and probably people from other nations involved as well. One of the best WWII doc I've seen. The end of the last episode was...heartbreaking to say the least.

If you have the time and the interest, you should check out Ken Burns and Lynn Novik's The Vietnam War, one the best documentaries I've EVER seen.
An almost 20 hours long documentary which goes in great depth with the war itself, what caused it (the whole first episode is about the events BEFORE it) the homefront, the politcs, the protests, the daily life. Thousands of photos and footage from the era and an excellent and compelling narration.
Last but surely not least, you'll find interviews to veterans from all branches of the US armed forces, the NVA and NLF (Vietcong) and the ARVN; interviews to civilians, americans and vietnamese alike: veterans' family, students, protesters, deserters, farmers...it's from the PBS and I've seen that Netflix (at least, it Italy) had recently bought it. The versions on youtube or other channels are pirated vietnamese copies without the subtitles for the vietnamese veterans, so it's not really the best way to watch it, but if you wish so...

F.F.C._fritz said:
If you have the time and the interest, you should check out Ken Burns and Lynn Novik's The Vietnam War, one the best documentaries I've EVER seen.
An almost 20 hours long documentary which goes in great depth with the war itself, what caused it (the whole first episode is about the events BEFORE it) the homefront, the politcs, the protests, the daily life. Thousands of photos and footage from the era and an excellent and compelling narration.
Last but surely not least, you'll find interviews to veterans from all branches of the US armed forces, the NVA and NLF (Vietcong) and the ARVN; interviews to civilians, americans and vietnamese alike: veterans' family, students, protesters, deserters, farmers...it's from the PBS and I've seen that Netflix (at least, it Italy) had recently bought it. The versions on youtube or other channels are pirated vietnamese copies without the subtitles for the vietnamese veterans, so it's not really the best way to watch it, but if you wish so...

The PBS show is good but youtube shenanigans  :cry:. It's still a really good starting place if you want to get into the history of the conflict. I've recently picked up a few books about the Vietnam War and its great. One of them Patriots, The Vietnam War Remembered From All Sides by Christian Appy is a very good starter. It has accounts from Americans and Vietnamese from all walks of life from the 50s to the mid 70's when South Vietnam fell. Its a shocking read, I've had the hair on my arms stand up more than once.

The Vietnam documentary is available on Netflix for now if anyone's interested, I've been rewatching it so I can hear the Vietnamese veteran's statements.

I agree, I've been watching more of Ken Burns' documentaries and they're all good stuff but The Vietnam War is really first class. I like how it gives you an idea of what the people involved in it thought at the time rather than just a sweeping history of the conflict.

The team behind The Great War, that Youtube series that followed the first world war week by week, is going to start doing the same with WW2 tomorrow.

Personally I always loved the Great War series, although I did experience a content overdose so to speak. :lol: Looking forward to this one, apparently it's got other historical Youtube channels collaborating, so I expect people like Addaway or Military History Visualized to make appearances. Would blow my load if Lindybeige made a cameo or something, but I dont think WW2 is his specialty. :razz:

you woke my curiosity, and i regret looking. what a pile of ****e.

it's literally the spandau incident (including the response to a cherry-picked selection of complaints followed by "and i'm right anyway sod off") but worse.

literally claiming there is no better source for the origin of the holocaust than Mein Kampf. what a guy.

It's way, way worse than that. He uses Jordan Peterson as a source multiple times, he uses mein kampf and other propaganda as evidence without any critical lens at all, and to make matter worse he pinned this comment to the top of the comment section:

75dfa75c748a.png

Why

i did say "but worse". :razz: but the similarities in how they went about it are remarkable.

it's awful and frankly hopefully (youtube-)career suicide. or maybe he suddenly realises he's an arsehole, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom