Author Topic: Your relatives who went to war  (Read 4924 times)

上原亜衣

• The Most Wrong
  • Archduke
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
  • WBNW
Re: Your relatives who went to war
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
He retired in 1957 and died in 1961 in Madison, Wis.

Yeah, there is a thing about this city that leads people to die I suppose.

Of all the people I thought would deadname Lord Smegma. smh

Rebound-a-Seff

• Cool Hand Luke
  • Duke
  • Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
    • Skype - seff_fap
    • Steam - Seffinator
    • YouTube - coltm1911a1
    • View Profile
    • Minsc and Boo fansite! :D
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: irc://Seff
  • M&BWB
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
He had all sorts of cancer.
Death will take you without a care for circumstance or timing; live life to the fullest without fear of death, or need to know why it chooses who it does - otherwise you are already dead.

Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened.

Swissky

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:48 PM »
The only I have to show would be my grandfather's banner from the Swedish Air Force. He volunteered in flying supplies for the Finns' and served in the SAF until 1949 1946.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
1946 Kungliga Upplands Flygflottilj.
1152 - 8 - 46 Lindell
(Tre Kronor)
F16
1946 Royal Air Force Wing of Uppsala
1152 - 8 - 46 Lindell
(Three Crowns logo)
F16

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »
I don't know any(non-taleworlds)body who is in the military, not even second hand, unless you count the son of the landlord whose B&B I stayed at in China.

My maternal grandma said she remembers the victory party when men from the Jamaican part of the British army were demobbed. They bought chocolate and pasta (!!!) And my grandma ate so much that the spaghetti came out of her nose. She hasn't eaten pasta since.

My maternal grandad was on a cargo liner in the 50s which went to Genoa. He said the city was in a bad state but I don't think he remembers much more than that.

Dystopian

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 12:33:25 AM »
I've always been told since my family lived literally on the border of Virginia and modern day West Virginia, (See Bluefield West Virginia/Virginia which incidentally was founded by my ancestors in the early 1700s*.) that my family switched sides multiple during the Civil War. Whenever the Yankees came through they'd be all for the Blue and when the Rebs came it'd be all Grey (or butternut). Having done some research myself some years back the 7th West Virginia Cavalry Regiment that we have a badge for my great-grandfather was raised in 1864. If this tale is true it'd make some sense.

My dad never told me much about combat in Vietnam, but what can you tell a child about war? His story of receiving the letter from the draft office will always remind me of that possibility. He wasn't one who complained though, he never complained about the draft. Nevertheless he told me he ran an Army Bar in Saigon for a while, a specific story I remember was about a night where some Australians and New Zealanders came into the bar and started playing their own music. He also told me since he was an MP he would have to stand for hours outside of General Westmoreland's tent at night, he said it was one of the most torturous experiences of his life. My dad always despised Marines and their self-aggrandizement, to quote him, "I never met a marine in Vietnam."  :lol: We have family members who are Marines so you know its that kind of Military stick em, not actual hatred or anything. I remember my Taekwondo teacher who was an Italian immigrant who arrived in 50s having a conversation with my father about their military service in Vietnam. There is something about seeing older men reminiscence.

*Funny because I was reading about Scotch-Irish immigrants settling the frontier in the Virginia/West-Virginia/Kentucky region in the early 1700s.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:56:04 AM by Dystopian »

Un criss de Francophone qui vient du Nord

• Froggy G
  • Duke
  • I give the best life tip EVER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • MP nick: Bobthehero_Whals
  • WB
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 06:49:36 AM »
My grand-pa on my dad side was a pathological liar, but we do know he was a crewman on some sort of plane during WW2, no legit info on his actual position, wether he was a gunner or a pilot. He claimed to have flown through the Arch of Trimumph horizontally, cutting through it, for example. We do know his plane got shot down and he had been stuck with shrapnel ever since, but that's about.

Some grand uncle was an army cook, got arrested for something related to a truck full of beer (or maybe the grand uncle was full of beer, this theory made all my family look at me funny, for some reason), that happened during the occupation of Western Germany.
Quote from: Elenmmare
I feel for you bro. I'm feeling for you. There, I felt for you. Hmm, nice muscles.
Quote from: Tibertus

Touch my ass, I've been working on the glutes.  :wink:
Quote from: Catholic
Obviously we now must bow to the Penis Cloud God.

hon hon hon baguette croissant eiffel tower surrender hon hon monsieur

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
He claimed to have flown through the Arch of Trimumph horizontally, cutting through it, for example.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

matmohair1

• Marquis
  • LEGENDS NEVER DIE!
    • Steam - matmohair1
    • View Profile
    • Matmohair1's War Cries and Banners
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
 :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

Charles Godefroy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Godefroy

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:00:43 AM by matmohair1 »

mdk31

• Low-Pigment PoC
  • Sergeant Knight
  • It's evolution baby
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: mdk31
  • M&BWB
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2017, 09:12:34 PM »
Hmm. I only know of two. My father's mother's father (my great-grandfather) fought in WW2 and survived it. He won an Iron Cross and a Wound Badge for his service. I don't know many details of his service. I would have to ask my grandmother.

My father's father's uncle (my great-uncle) also fought in WW2 and did not survive. He suffered a gunshot to the head in Stalingrad and died.
Our Missiles, which art in launchers,
    hallowed be thy payload;
    thy warhead come;
    our enemies be done,
    in lowsec as it is in Empire.
    Give us this day our daily gank.
    And forgive us our WCSs,
    but we don't forgive those that use them against us.
    And lead us not into bubbles;
    but deliver us from scramblers.
    For thine is the thermal,
    the kinetic, the EM, and the explosive,

Amen.

Abdullah Öcalan's stache

• Marquis
  • Präsident der Bundesrepublik der Türkei
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »
my relatives avoided war by using the dirty trick of being just a bit too old or too young. my dad told me he signed as a volunteer for the malvinas, but no volunteers were taken, had he been 4 years younger he would have been doing the service when the war broke out. my maternal grandpa was a kid during the Guerra del Chaco in Paraguay. he left for Buenos Aires and all his brothers died (of illness i think).
thats all, except for an anecdote about a guy from my maternal side that i heard my uncle tell in passing. Apparently someone in my family took part in the ethnic cleansings of aboriginals during the late 1800s. I have no idea if my uncle is lying or not, and i never asked him to go deeper into it. There supposedly was a saber or some material proof, but that side of my family lives in another province, and we hardly keep any contact with them,because we are kind of bastards or something hehe, so i still have faith in my innocence of these crimes

Cockroaches: "We rule the planet now"
Si los que saben no necesitan que les enseñen
Si el que yo quiero todavía está dentro de tu vientre

Llew

• Cheap ass bum
  • Count
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • MP nick: nK_Llew
  • M&BWB
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 12:03:50 AM »
My four Great Uncles were in WWII. My Grandfather, the youngest, got the job of staying home and tending the cows. However, one of my great uncles (according to the stories*) was at Pearl Harbor during the attack, and actually drove a jeep across Hickam Field during the strafing. He was later taken prisoner by the Japs, and survived a multi-month death-march. I believe he passed away just last year, and was laid to rest in Arlington.

*This reminds me, I really need to check in with the family historian and see if these stories have been recorded/verified. I certainly hope so, since two other of my great uncles, + plus my grandfather, are still alive I believe. A pretty long-lived bunch of folks, who've passed down some good genes.

I also heard, like some of you have mentioned, that they didn't like to talk about their experiences much. Which is a real shame.
"Took me a long time to find you. Wasn't an easy road to travel. I'm angry and tired. Had to kill a lot of people along the way. Some of them tried to cheat me, some tried to lie. I didn't like it one bit. I feel like one more lie'd be the last bitter drop in a chalice full of sorrow. And then...then I'd do something I'd later regret. Now do you know why you can't lie to me?"

F.F.C._fritz

• Grandmaster Knight
  • 3, F1, F3
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Frithumundr_Fer_Araig
  • WB
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
I've read a letter sent to my grand-grandmother by her brother's NCO, in which he informed her of how he died in the Dolomites front in 1915. Differently from what you see in movies, this NCO didn't felt to lie too much to make it easier for my grand-grandmother.

This grand-uncle of mine was very young and died miserably, I don't remember if it was because of artillery or machineguns, after days of agony.  The letter is three papers long, and describes the last few days before the incident. Sometimes it reads more like he hoped to get some comfort himself from writing to someone. It was a really an heartbreaking document. Sadly, I couldn't read the NCO surname properly (although the calligraphy was really top notch, like it used to). I'll have to search it for read it again.

Serpent Of Eden

• Doing Ché a blowjob
  • Duke
  • Permanent Posting Ban
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Rebelknight
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
My greatfather fought in the Trench as a member of the Canadian expeditionary force in WW1.
He survived the war and founded a fruit company named Dufour & fils (Dufour and sons).

He was an abusive drunk that mercilessly beat his children and treated them like complete ****.
According to my grandfather and his brothers, their father took great pleasure into torturing them.

yet my granddad is fond of his dad. (I blame him always wanting his approval but never getting it as the reason why he still like his dad)

My granddad was too young to fight in WW2 but his brothers did.
They were airplane pillots.

They once destroyed a German dam.
I heard they were good peoples, unlike their dad.

May the soul of my greatfather burn in hell.

Wellenbrecher

• Drachenlord
  • Archduke
  • Duh kriegt aufs Maul und ich ne Erektion
    • Steam - WellePoliorketes
    • View Profile
  • WBM&BVC
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »
Some uncle n times removed was a Major in WW2, but I have no name nor idea how the actual relation goes.
No one else, everyone was too young or too old or crippled from WW1.

Which leads me to:
One of my father's granddad's was in the artillery in WW1. Got a medal for destroying Allied artillery from a reverse slope and later was the only survivor when during a gas attack he was the only one to run into the opposite direction from everyone else. Which left him with permanent lung problems.
ciauz^^,
Temujin

Quote from: Johann Nepomuk Nestroy
Der Mensch ist guat, nur die Leut san a Gsindl.

Stardog

• Four Hooves, No Love
  • Marquis
  • 👉👌🐳🤦🏻🤰
    • Steam - asplodingapples
    • Twitter - @saelig880ad
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
Interesting. Wellen, my great-grandfather was a gunner in the British artillery during WW1 and his gun was destroyed by Germans, leaving him as the only survivor. After that he was gassed and survived, leaving our family with a genetic defect in which some of our toes are a bit malformed and in some cases our hands are missing some knuckles. Well, I've been told that it's due to the gas.

Did your great-grandfather blow up my great-grandfather's gun? For sure.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:32:40 PM by null »
"The official inseminator of the female population"

"I made a proclamation to control my masturbation"