Author Topic: Your relatives who went to war  (Read 4921 times)

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

• Dancing to electro-pop like a robot since 1984
  • Archduke
  • Moonstruck Fool
    • Steam - amontadillo
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWBNWWF&SVC
Re: Your relatives who went to war
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
My granddad was in poland, saw some stuff, was at Stalingrad, got shot in the lung, got sent home before that whole thing went to ****.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

QuailLover

• Marquis
  • Cease thy bickering hos!
    • View Profile
    • QuailPilot's Page
  • Faction: Rhodok
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »
I had a grandfather who was a Marine tanker in Guadalcanal.

My uncle who was a US MP in Munich during the 1972 Olympics when the massacre happened.
No. 'The River Pirates' are not a punk band. And you misunderstand me when I said I was 'going Clubbing'. Mount&Blade ~ Maw

You're going to piss yourself when you see my guy Quail. Havoc

You're a success, Quailman. Alenmare

This man is so great and possessed of style...Lyze

The best thing about Quail ... he is a good dancer, and sexes it up on the dance floor with chicks and posts pic of it here. Feragorn

Lord Brutus

• Into the Void
  • Forum Legend
  • Prune juice, a warrior's drink.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • M&BWB
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 01:16:18 AM »
My dad was in the US Navy during WWII and was stationed on American Samoa when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  He liked to say that he was one of, at most, 5,000 Americans who even knew where Pearl Harbor was.  :lol:

Also we have the original document that shows my wife's great-grandfather's release from a Union POW camp after the Civil War.

Arvenski

• Count
  • A fool who dreams too much
    • Steam - arvondor
    • YouTube - UCvUcSygxUX37c6fekGtqLEA
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • M&BWB
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 03:26:00 PM »
My granddad was in poland, saw some stuff, was at Stalingrad, got shot in the lung, got sent home before that whole thing went to ****.
Wow. Yeah, he must've seen some stuff.

Also we have the original document that shows my wife's great-grandfather's release from a Union POW camp after the Civil War.
Also, wow @ this, too. That's quite the piece of history to have lying around.
Cold, the air and water flowing
Hard, the land we call our home
Push to keep the dark from coming
Feel the weight of what we owe
  This, the song of sons and daughters
  Hide the heart of who we are
  Making peace to build a future
  Strong united, working 'til we fall
  And we all lift
  And we're all adrift together, together
  Through the coldness
  'Til we're lifeless together, together

Úlfheðinn

• Anti-Wellenist
  • Language Moderator
  • Professional Swede
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
  • WB
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
I had a great uncle that decided to fight the Russians in Finland.

Also a couple of relatives that were part of UN Peace Keeping forces over the last couple of decades (but not sure that strictly qualifies as "war experience").
Silence moderator! We're holding an informative salon here and your presence is not needed.

BenKenobi

• Marquis
  • Doch
    • View Profile
  • WBNW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
A greatgrandfather was fighting on the eastern front against the Russian Empire, got captured, later joined the Czechoslovak legions and fought the Soviets in the Siberia. Other greatgrandfather fought the Italians on Piave. One of them got into a concentration camp later in ww2 for allegedly organising sabotages in a gun factory. Grandfather was a military adviser to Egypt in the 60s when everyone was fighting Israel. I think my father once mentioned we also had someone in k.u.k. Kriegsmarine, but I cannot recall who that was. Definitely not a direct relative though.

Wigster600

• Duke
  • Dishing out hot takes like hot cakes.
    • Steam - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Wigster600/John Cooper
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
I had a great uncle on my mothers side who I believe was an RAF radio operator stationed in Burma during WW2. He ended up getting the Burma star, along with another star medal which I can't remember is.
I also had a great grandfather on my mothers side who was part of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers during WW1, who had a job looking after horses as far as i'm aware.

On my dads side, I think I have a great, great, great grandfather who was a boiler stoker on a ship during the first world war. Unfortunately his ship was torpedoed. He didn't make it out.
"It's all **** and giggles, until somebody giggles and ****." - Anon
I can't wait until white people are finally a minority.
Mcwiggum pretty much nailed it.

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
My great-great-uncle (is that even a thing?) was a cavalryman in Polish army in 1939, but as he was stationed in the eastern lands he was among the soldiers that were taken to Siberia (just like pretty much everyone else alive back then on my mother's side of family, being maybe short on soldiers, but full of other kinds of uniformed servicemen that got the free ticket for them and the family) and he didn't return until after the war in 1947, so not sure if he fits the thread.

He did meet with glorious Soviet bureaucracy upon return, though, and received name change without any in-game currency needed, as officer writing papers for him insisted that he can't be named 'Włodzimierz' (Vladimir) cause that's Russian name, Polish one is 'Władysław'.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

Angelsachsen

• Master Knight
  • Til biþ se þe his treowe gehealdeþ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • MP nick: Angelsachsen
  • M&BWBNWWF&S
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
During WW2 my paternal grandfather was a pioneer (my grandmother worked in the manufacturing of battledresses). My maternal grandfather was an infantryman whilst my grandmother was in the ATS. All were stationed in Britain until Normandy.

(click to show/hide)

Souvenir
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:56:36 PM by Angelsachsen »

Stardog

• Four Hooves, No Love
  • Marquis
  • 👉👌🐳🤦🏻🤰
    • Steam - asplodingapples
    • Twitter - @saelig880ad
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 07:29:04 PM »
Cool stuff. Good to see so many people have good stories to tell. The furthest back I can probably go is to a relative who was in the New Zealand land wars in the mid 1800s. Not sure the exact family connection though.
"The official inseminator of the female population"

"I made a proclamation to control my masturbation"

Dystopian

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:17 PM »
My family has war pension documents stating we had at least six ancestors in the Continental Army during the American Revolution, and we have a Grand Army of the Republic Medal of some sort (Union veterans organization after the Civil War) for my great-grandfather's service in the 7th West Virginia Cavalry. My grandfather was a merchant marine during World War Two and my Father got drafted into the US Army during the Vietnam War. He served as a MP in Saigon, finishing his service with a Bronze Star. Never quite told me what that was about though.

Jhessail

• Panzervixen
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
My paternal grandfather died in Aunus during 1942 but my maternal grandfather (who had been a Captain of Artillery) survived the wars, only to be struck down by a piece of shrapnel that the doctors had not removed, as the removal would have been too dangerous. Over the years the piece slowly moved until it pierced his windpipe while he was working on a field - probably the exercise caused it - and because this was in the middle of nowhere, he suffocated long before he was gotten to the hospital in the late 1960s.

My grandpa and his family took Finnish citizenship (he was Norwegian) during the Winter War so they could serve. Because of this, they did not get recompensated by the Norwegian king (unlike other Norwegians who lost property in the Winter/Continuation War), but the Finnish government refused to acknowledge their participation. Rumor has it the precursor to the True Finns party actually made a law named after my grandfather stating basically that they won't be compensated, but I can't find it on FINLEX.

My grandpa has been looking for acknowledgment for himself and his dead brothers pretty much ever since. He doesn't even want money, just for the state to recognize he did something. He did get wounded, and has been paying for the treatment out of his own pocket for his whole life.
Apparently they wrote to him last year saying that they accept now that he was in the war, but the deadline for the application period just passed, so they can't do anything about it *insert trollface here*. We told him we'll put the oak leaves on his grave anyway, but he says it doesn't feel right unless the entity he fought for accepts it.
That's a really **** fate. It's weird that they were allowed to take the citizenship but a lot of weird things happened during the war time. In my research, I've come across similar cases and Finland usually was good about pensions and such, though there were times when the unfeeling bureaucracy made a mess of things. If you want to PM me his name and date of birth, plus any details of his military service in Finland, I can check my notes of the archives, see if his case is in there.
JOIN SHADOWRUN PARTY QUEST
"In revenge and in love, woman is more barbaric than man is." - Friedrich Nietzsche
"For the female of the species is more deadly than the male." - Rudyard Kipling
Jhessail is far from friendly. :P She's extremely intelligent, amicable, and witty, but friendly's the last word I'd use to describe her.

Untitled.

• Count
  • Real life... Is it worth downloading...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
Thanks, Jhess! I just sent him an e-mail about details of his service and will come back to you if he approves.
The only redeeming thing about me is that I'm better than everyone else.
Untitled is Tyler Durden.

Rebound-a-Seff

• Cool Hand Luke
  • Duke
  • Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
    • Skype - seff_fap
    • Steam - Seffinator
    • YouTube - coltm1911a1
    • View Profile
    • Minsc and Boo fansite! :D
  • MP nick: irc://Seff
  • M&BWB
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 05:55:03 AM »
I maternal Great-Grandfather was called Dr. Edwin Moll, and rode with Lawrence of Arabia into Jerusalem during WWI. My uncle has the saber-belt on his wall, it's a wide leather belt with eyelets on the top for suspenders and eyelets on the left side for a sword.
Quote from one of the links below: "The Grand Sheik, shaking hands with his great friend, Dr. Edwin Moll, director of the Near East Branch of The Lutheran World Federation. Though it was the first day and high feast of Ramadan and no visitors, especially Christians, were supposed to place a foot inside the sacred walls, the Grand Sheik himself welcomed us and said, "We Moslems may not understand why Christians, Greeks, Armenians and Latins will quarrel over the holy places, but the kind of religion that the Lutheran World Federation has brought to our country through Dr. Moll -- this we can understand." "Tell your friends in America," the Sheik told Dr. Michelfelder on his recent visit, "that we shall never forget how you have saved the lives of thousands of Arab refugees."

Dr. Edwin A. Moll was born in Australia in 1892. Emigrating to America to attend Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, he was ordained by the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod in 1914. During World War I he returned to Australia to enlist in the airforce, and served during most of WWI in the Near East, rising to the rank of major. Part of his duties including acting as a liason officer between British forces and their Arab allies led by T.E. Lawrence, known as "Lawrence of Arabia." After the war he returned to the U.S., where he soon transferred to the United Lutheran Church in America and served congregatioins in Wisconsin, California, and Illinois. In 1940 he became secretary for the Board of Foreign Missions. In 1946 he first went to Jersualem to study a proposed transfer of the Syrian orphanage in Palestine to the ULCA. That year he was loaned to the Lutheran World Federation, and served in British Guinana, India, and Liberia, with headquarters in Palestine as director of the Near East Branch of the LWF. He retired in 1957 and died in 1961 in Madison, Wis."

My maternal Grandfather enlisted in the US in WWII and taught radar in Florida for the duration. Later in life he felt very badly about never having seen combat. He stayed in the army reserves and became a Colonel.

My paternal great-grandfather hid air-dropped supplies for the Danish Resistance during the occupation of Denmark 1940-1945. My father remembers playing in the barn and finding ammunition.
Death will take you without a care for circumstance or timing; live life to the fullest without fear of death, or need to know why it chooses who it does - otherwise you are already dead.

Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened.

Evvv

• Goblet
  • Duke
  • Strange Mood: Has the aspect of one fey!
    • Steam - Evvvv
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WF&SWBNWVC
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »
He retired in 1957 and died in 1961 in Madison, Wis.

Yeah, there is a thing about this city that leads people to die I suppose.
Well then no **** sherlock, get an army or get out.
You are really dedicated to being garbage.