Mount & Blade: Warband version 1.172 patch - HD Textures (released!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Nice, those night sky textures should be much better now.  :grin:

Thanks!

* After some gameplay, I've noticed huge differences across the board. Personally I preferred the darker stretched loading screens to the more 16:9 correct high res ones, but I'll get used used to them, no doubt. Well done.

KuroiNekouPL said:
The Bowman said:
They were always there.

By the way, can anyone take some screenshots of various stuff in Warband? I just want to see what to expect, but currently I don't have the internet speed to download the patch.

The only difference I have noticed is that the menus and dialogue windows look a bit brighter.(Which, by the way, made me turn down the gamma, because it actually looked worse than before) But I don't think you'll notice any real difference in actual gameplay.
Yeah, except for the menus I haven't noticed anything. Interior scenes loading times are definitely longer though. Not sure it's worth it..

I've found a bug.

Enabling HDR loads the old low-resolution sky textures and not the new high-resolution textures. This may be why some players don't notice an immediate difference in game. 

When people are a bit far away I see clippings on their helmets. I can see the flesh of their head through the helmet. Did not notice that before the patch.

Ki-Ok Khan said:
When people are a bit far away I see clippings on their helmets. I can see the flesh of their head through the helmet. Did not notice that before the patch.

That's an LOD for the model, and those aren't effected by the patch. You're only noticing this now because this update makes changes to visuals and you're paying extra attention to see what's different.

Turn up your settings if it's that distracting.

Alistair7 said:
Just found out in time to back up my mods!

Will this make any change in NW. Such as ground textures?

Thanks for this anyway. :smile:
I think it should affect some ground textures, yes!

snouz said:
BUG:

Just noticed texture khergit_lady_dress_b has UV lines still visible.
Thanks for this... we're pushing out a hotfix now. :smile:

Veteran Decanus said:
I've found a bug.

Enabling HDR loads the old low-resolution sky textures and not the new high-resolution textures. This may be why some players don't notice an immediate difference in game. 
I'll get that checked... thanks for the report.

Thanks all!

We've kept all textures in the build, so if you want to reverse some or all of the effects of the patch, it's just a case of renaming files in, or the entire "TexturesHD" folder. Glad that many of you are enjoying the little boost though!

Like the updates. The "Logs"-window looks very yellow but, but otherwise I really like it!

Rhodok's leather cap 10k resolution textures update or riot :evil:

I don't know, I just don't like it at all. I don't really care about graphics in games and I loved Warband context menus until now. Now it's harder to read text on high resolution background (character screen etc.) and it lacks colour a little bit too much.

On the other hand, it's great you guys still develop this wonderful game.

And for the next release, you could add a button to turn on/off HDR effect on the crosshair (for those, who want to have HDR enabled but hate shiny white crosshair in the middle of the screen).

Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

That's an LOD for the model, and those aren't effected by the patch. You're only noticing this now because this update makes changes to visuals and you're paying extra attention to see what's different.

I already have all settings on max. Except HDR. While they are on fixing the textures and stuff they can as well fix that thing you mentioned.

Ki-Ok Khan said:
Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

I already have all settings on max. Except HDR. While they are on fixing the textures and stuff they can as well fix that thing you mentioned.
LOD's don't need to be "fixed", because what you mentioned isn't a real problem. If it were to be "fixed", it'd decrease performance on a fair number of players machines. That'd be an actual problem.

Performance > Visuals

Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:
Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

LOD's don't need to be "fixed", because what you mentioned isn't a real problem. If it were to be "fixed", it'd decrease performance on a fair number of players machines. That'd be an actual problem.

Performance > Visuals
Pretty sure they can make it so it does not clip. Did you not understand what I meant by fixing it.

Ki-Ok Khan said:
Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:
Veteran Decanus said:
Ki-Ok Khan said:

Performance > Visuals
Pretty sure they can make it so it does not clip. Did you not understand what I meant by fixing it.

You clearly don't know what an LOD is. The "issue" is the result of a low polygonal count in the distant LOD for character and armour models. There are several LOD (Level Of Detail) levels, each decreasing the overall polygon count of the models as the distance from the player perspective increases. With a lower polygon count in the model mesh LOD, it's much harder to retain the original shape of the LOD 0 (highest quality, very close to player) without also clipping the mesh of a separate attached object. This is why, in this case, you see clipping with the heads and helmets of some units in the distance.

The only way to "fix it" would be to generate new LODs with a higher polygon count or remove them altogether; which could severely affect users with low-end PC's. This is why mods like ACOK or Warsword Conquest require high end machines to deliver playable interactivity during battle, because there are practically no low-polygon LOD's for any of the models; while the opposite is the case for mods like Prophecy of Pendor or Viking Conquest.

Some minor clipping in the distance isn't a problem, and it never needed fixing because it was never broken to begin with.

As I've said before, you're only noticing it because you're paying attention now, despite it always being there. Simply stop focusing on it, and it'll "go away" in a sense.

Yes . We should be proud of having to see glitches like that because it saves us few frames. Just so you know. I know how models work in games. However heads should not be glitched like that. I am probably noticing it now because I was playing another mod for 7 years. My potato laptop computer handled it just well with 250 people online. I am confident that they can make it go away without sacrificing performance. Or at least if I am on the highest settings do not load the bad vertices to me but the ones that do not glitch. People are not even far when this thing happens. just maybe 30 meters away. And since I am an archer all I see is heads with glitches.Even without helmet their heads glitch with their hair. The reason I think is ; Human models get bigger with distance but the helmets and the hair models stay the same size thus not covering the head properly and it goes through the model.This to me sounds like a problem to be fixed.

Also let me add this . It only happens with certain head armors . Not all helmets .

Ki-Ok Khan said:
Yes . We should be proud of having to see glitches like that because it saves us few frames. Just so you know. I know how models work in games. However heads should not be glitched like that. I am probably noticing it now because I was playing another mod for 7 years. My potato laptop computer handled it just well with 250 people online. I am confident that they can make it go away without sacrificing performance. Or at least if I am on the highest settings do not load the bad vertices to me but the ones that do not glitch. People are not even far when this thing happens. just maybe 30 meters away. And since I am an archer all I see is heads with glitches.Even without helmet their heads glitch with their hair. The reason I think is ; Human models get bigger with distance but the helmets and the hair models stay the same size thus not covering the head properly and it goes through the model.This to me sounds like a problem to be fixed.

Also let me add this . It only happens with certain head armors . Not all helmets .

If
I know how models work in games.
Then you should know that
if I am on the highest settings do not load the bad vertices to me but the ones that do not glitch.
- Isn't reasonably possible without costing a significant amount of time and money to the developer; if what you say is even possible.

High poly LOD's and Low poly LOD's, WITH (presumably) a distance slider for both? Is that what you are seriously suggesting? You're unreasonable.

I'm done arguing. You just don't want to see the point.

Veteran Decanus said:
I'm done arguing. You just don't want to see the point.
Point you are making is that it gains us some frames and we should not be complaining about it.
What I am saying is that it happens with some certain head gears. Meaning that it does not do that with other head gears. Meaning that it is possible to make it so it does not glitch . Meaning that it is indeed a problem and can be fixed.

Veteran Decanus said:
High poly LOD's and Low poly LOD's, WITH (presumably) a distance slider for both? Is that what you are seriously suggesting? You're unreasonable.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/LOD_Models#Modeling_LODs
Lod (Level of detail) Models were created by the developers.There are algorithms that controls when we will see a LOD model.The problem here is LOD Model of some particular helmets clashing with LOD Model of player's head.

Veteran Decanus said:
- Isn't reasonably possible without costing a significant amount of time and money to the developer; if what you say is even possible.
Time and money. Ok.

If that issue is visible at "30 meters", then it is most likely LOD1. Depends how many helmets are affected maybe it would be easier to change head's LOD1. Or just move 2-4 vertices on each helmet mesh, which can be done by anyone with minimal knowledge about 3d programs.

Captain Lust said:
Thanks for this... we're pushing out a hotfix now. :smile:

I assume that's the unannounced update I just got? Maybe add a news item for it on Steam or at least an update to the news item for 1.172, so we don't have to track it down to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom