How often do you change your PC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kharille

Knight at Arms
Never got into managing my hardware.  But it seems that rather than upgrading components I should just get a contemporary computer with other parts upgraded too.  My current PC I've had for coming on 3 years.  Before that, I had a 7 year old PC which was good enough for old games.  So how old is your PC and to what extent do you swap parts out?

Some parts of my PC are 8 years old, but I do refresh the important parts every once in a while.

I get a new GPU every 1 to 2 years, depending on what's out. Usually AMD.
A new mobo, CPU, and new RAM usually all come at once, but usually only every 3-4 years.

The rest of it stays until it breaks.

That's a thing that annoys me nowadays. I used to buy a good mainboard, and mid tier GPU and CPU, then upgrade 2-3 years later to the best the MB allowed. Now it seems sockets change way too fast, and "old" CPUs get more expensive than the new for lack of stock, so you have to buy a new MB

Intel changes their socket just about every 18 months, AMD generally sticks to their sockets longer. But AM3+ is outdated and is being replaced with AM4, which will likely last another 5 years given their history.

To answer the question, I replace some parts when I feel like it more or less. Both times I upgraded my GPU brought about a 100% increase in raw processing power which takes about 3 or 4 years. Upgraded my CPU once and haven't even looked at a new one yet, and nothing else needs to be replaced unless it fails.

Got an SSD drive last month and (with help) changed the external 2TB hard drive to an internal. and now I may be looking towards a new motherboard for the better processor. Everything in my computer runs fine and games will generally run well, but that motherboard has an Intel i3 processor, so I'll have to look at more options to bring that grade up.

In terms of how often I change, about once or twice every 1 or 2 years depending on the need.

Right now my PC is over three years old, maybe over four, and I am still happy with it, though the monitor is older- at least 6 and a half years old by now. Since I can't remember the last time I saw a PC advertisement that included a monitor, that's probably a common scenario (trust me, they did used to be sold with monitors!). As long as it keeps working, that's fine with me. I bought a cheap SSD late last year though, and am considering upgrading my GPU sometime in the next year, depending on prices and how well Bannerlord runs if we get to play it this year. The thing is, I don't need to run games at highest settings to be satisfied, nor am I interested in many recent games (for me, recent means up to 2 years old  :smile:), so my GTX 660 has been enough for me. For example, the last taxing game I bought was probably GTA V, and that runs fine on my PC.

I can't remember just how many PCs I have had now, but it might be five including the current one. My first ever was bought back in early 2003. Against my brother's advice, I didn't get a DVD drive, only a CD drive for my Celeron powered machine, which wasn't enough to run Medieval Total War, much to my disappointment. I think I had another XP machine after the Celeron, and then a Win 7 (I never upgraded Windows on a PC until Win 10), before moving to Win 8 on a 2010 PC that went haywire after just over a year, meaning the warranty didn't cover it. Gah. Stuck with it for quite a while after that before buying my current one.

So this current one might be my fifth, making it an average of a new PC every 2.8 years. Wow, that's a short lifespan for each PC. I think I probably replaced too often with the old ones because I was averse to upgrading components myself. I'm much less wary of doing that after installing the SSD. Another factor in that quick turnover is probably that while I wanted to have a good enough PC to run the latest games, I was generally too frugal to pay for more than a mid range PC.

I bought my computer for 4-5 years and only changed the graphics card two times.

I bought a core i7 3770k which is running now at 4,8Ghz
My first graphics card was the ATI7970Ghz-Edition. After maybe 2-3 years I bought an Nvidia 980Ti and then after the 1080 was released, I bought an EVGA1080 which is capable of running at 2100mhz Core and 11,2Ghz Memory.

I will only get a new computer when something big breaks, but that **** is just too steady.

I think it always depends how much money you spent at the first time. The more expensive (and good of course) your gaming rig was, the seldom you have to get a new one to stay up to date.

DanAngleland said:
So this current one might be my fifth, making it an average of a new PC every 2.8 years. Wow, that's a short lifespan for each PC.
Yeah. If you want to run the latest games on highest settings a PC gets old quickly.

I typically buy a brand new high end PC every 4 years or so, only replacing the GPU if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom