SP Fantasy Kingdoms of Arda (Lord of the Rings for Bannerlord)

Users who are viewing this thread

Another update, this time a concept from roman:
romanCardolan.jpg
Eriador is far ahead in the future for implementation into KoA, but we have plenty of time to design them.

The guy on the far right breastplate does not work in terms of anatomy. Breastplate should end where the rib cage is, and it should be rounded out. Otherwise, the person can't bend over and will be stiff. Also, the breastplate looks like it is designed to impale the person's neck. I would round out or have a semi-circle cut on the neck area. The elbow piece looks weird on the forearm and it needs to be on the elbow. The V piece on the front is a semi-okay feature, but it has a flaw where anything pointy will slide towards the maille aventail. Maille rings will pop and be useless to anything with a diamond shaped point (think bodkin arrows or frankish lances). Otherwise, its okay-ish against stuff that tries to cut and slash, but I wish Roman would've painted something like a rivet or rondel, so that the V piece can be lifted or something. The double belt just looks weird.

I only have beef with the far right guy. Everything else looks terrific.

tumblr_p3nl7bICIc1u442p8o1_1280.jpg

Slytacular said:
The guy on the far right breastplate does not work in terms of anatomy. Breastplate should end where the rib cage is, and it should be rounded out. Otherwise, the person can't bend over and will be stiff. Also, the breastplate looks like it is designed to impale the person's neck. I would round out or have a semi-circle cut on the neck area. The elbow piece looks weird on the forearm and it needs to be on the elbow. The V piece on the front is a semi-okay feature, but it has a flaw where anything pointy will slide towards the maille aventail. Maille rings will pop and be useless to anything with a diamond shaped point (think bodkin arrows or frankish lances). Otherwise, its okay-ish against stuff that tries to cut and slash, but I wish Roman would've painted something like a rivet or rondel, so that the V piece can be lifted or something. The double belt just looks weird.

I only have beef with the far right guy. Everything else looks terrific.

tumblr_p3nl7bICIc1u442p8o1_1280.jpg
Discussed it with roman, will make a few changes.

Another update:
screenshot002.1.png
Gondor Chainmail by Avelium :party:
Used for the highest tier of the village recruits.

Yeah, thanks for accepting the criticism! There are a handful of other breastplates guilty of bad anatomy in the completed preview section of the OP, but I wouldn't get mad if you don't alter them, because it does take a butt amount of time as an artist to fix these. For example, the Gondor actors in the Peter Jackson films are wearing something like a 16th century style of breastplate which do work, but they're a little stiff when it comes to bending over (I also wonder if the breastplates are loose because they're not form fitting either?). However, those armours do have some practicality versus flat anime style breastplate armours. Leather straps around the arm isn't bad design, but there are such things as lacing if you want to consider that. Especially on maille shirts, its perfectly capable to tie strings on the maille to hold floating metal plates, as well as minimize the strings from being cut in the process.

I'm not really interested in making historical changes, as I'm not making a historical mod. For design I am firstly interested in visuals and believe-ability. Historical references can help make decisions to better visual or believable fidelity, but there are lines drawn by different people of when something is believable enough. So while changes to Cardolan armour will come(don't expect a 14th century cuirass pasted in), changes on the Gondorian cuirass won't, regardless of if we had extra time to work on it or not.

I don't mean for it to be historical. I'm thinking purely in terms of what works and functions anatomy wise using historical armour as the anatomical reference for the sake of immersion. Bannerlord characters are probably going to bend along the waist, and its weird to watch what is supposed to be a flat metal plate bend.

Banok said:
my only nitpick is the boots shouldnt have heels  :razz:

And that can be questioned, too. I mean, heels on boots were a pretty old thing in real life. Iirc, the Bactrian or Persian cavalry in antiquity had those, maybe even someone before them, too. Plus, since the LotR is "medieval" fantasy, we can't really say that boots don't have heels, right?  :razz:

Antonis said:
Banok said:
my only nitpick is the boots shouldnt have heels  :razz:

And that can be questioned, too. I mean, heels on boots were a pretty old thing in real life. Iirc, the Bactrian or Persian cavalry in antiquity had those, maybe even someone before them, too. Plus, since the LotR is "medieval" fantasy, we can't really say that boots don't have heels, right?  :razz:

Yeah its a silly thing to object to for sure in a fantasy game, when there are much more flagrant unrealisms. but it just looks really modern to my eyes, like I could buy what that rhun soldiers wearing on my highstreet today. Whereas I wish I could buy cool medieval shoes I see in other mods on the high street  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom