WPL2? Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

JOkrnCv.png
DISCUSSION

It's been more than a year since the first iteration of the Warband Pro League took place and bannerlord's release is still a waze a way (late 2017 or early 2018?). Which is why I'd like to see how interested in the community is in having the second second of the Warband Pro League sometime this year.

To put it bluntly, it was a NA based tournament with a prize pool of $1178, the largest in warband history. The tournament introduced new settings and rules, was highly competitive, had several sponsors, and was professionally streamed throughout it's duration. It was arguably one of the best tournaments ever.

Check it out here: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,403.0.html
Just to further garner interest, I'd like to state the current prize pool pledged for this tournament is $2000, with the possibility of $10000 if we garner enough interest. So yeah, what do you guys think?

For now I think we should wait. Something like a 5v5 or another smaller tourney would be best after this scramble league. Hopefully by the time that is over we will have some more concrete news about Bannerlord from taleworlds

Wait for Bannerlord.
The game is mostly dead. Team skill level is arguably at an all time low. Many teams are forming and then disbanding, while mercenaries fill up spots in many teams, which hurts cohesion greatly. It would be a shame if we didn't wait for the older clans to come back in full force so we have the most competitive and skilled environment possible. A tournament like this would be a great welcome back and starting point for Bannerlord.

Judging by what we've had in the past from TW I don't think we'll have any multiplayer news until at the earliest November although more likely December. I'm not expecting anything until mid-2017 despite Lust saying they "hope" to have a beta out before the end of the year. I think another tournament, especially one of this prizepool, could be great as the last hurrah of Warband. It could potentially bring "retired" players back into action for one last big tournament which I think would be great.  :mrgreen:

The_Troubadour said:
Wait for Bannerlord.
The game is mostly dead. Team skill level is arguably at an all time low. Many teams are forming and then disbanding, while mercenaries fill up spots in many teams, which hurts cohesion greatly. It would be a shame if we didn't wait for the older clans to come back in full force so we have a the most competitive and skilled environment possible. A tournament like this would be a great welcome back and starting point for Bannerlord.

Yeah, our plan was to wait for Bannerlord and drop this bomb to establish our competitive scene quickly. But,

Gibby Jr said:
Judging by what we've had in the past from TW I don't think we'll have any multiplayer news until at the earliest November although more likely December. I'm not expecting anything until mid-2017 despite Lust saying they "hope" to have a beta out before the end of the year. I think another tournament, especially one of this prizepool, could be great as the last hurrah of Warband.

^
We just don't know how far away bannerlord really is, from what I've heard it's either late 2017 or early 2018, which is pretty long wait imo.

So yeah, we'll roll with whatever the community wants.

I'll post what I told Arys a few mins ago.

Only do if you can get 12 teams and the competition is high. Merc teams and newly formed ones just won't make the tournament nearly as fierce and interesting to play/watch as the first iteration.

I don't think we should be 'forcing' a tournament like this just because TW is taking forever releasing Bannerlord.

Arys said:
The_Troubadour said:
Wait for Bannerlord.
The game is mostly dead. Team skill level is arguably at an all time low. Many teams are forming and then disbanding, while mercenaries fill up spots in many teams, which hurts cohesion greatly. It would be a shame if we didn't wait for the older clans to come back in full force so we have a the most competitive and skilled environment possible. A tournament like this would be a great welcome back and starting point for Bannerlord.

Yeah, our plan was to wait for Bannerlord and drop this bomb to establish our competitive scene quickly. But,

Gibby Jr said:
Judging by what we've had in the past from TW I don't think we'll have any multiplayer news until at the earliest November although more likely December. I'm not expecting anything until mid-2017 despite Lust saying they "hope" to have a beta out before the end of the year. I think another tournament, especially one of this prizepool, could be great as the last hurrah of Warband.

^
We just don't know how far away bannerlord really is (seems like late 2017 or early 2018 to me), we could probably host another one by the time it comes out.
I think that's not important. To use a $2000 prize pool for a sub-optimal tournament would be doing a disservice to WPL and to the donors. The largest prize pool in The M&B franchise history should be put to better use, aka with the best of skill and competition.

Thunderbeu said:
So all time high competition is wK and TMW in NA at least idk what's different now lol there was SJW and tK practically the same ****
It really isn't.
I know that's what you think, but take it from the guys that have seen more players and teams than you have. The best was wK, Balion, TMW, BkS, and GA; all teams you haven't seen in full force or even half as good as their peak. The skill and team cohesion during UNAC 1 was much, much higher compared to the most recent one.

The_Troubadour said:
Arys said:
The_Troubadour said:
Wait for Bannerlord.

Gibby Jr said:

^
We just don't know how far away bannerlord really is (seems like late 2017 or early 2018 to me), we could probably host another one by the time it comes out.
I think that's not important. To use a $2000 prize pool for a sub-optimal tournament would be doing a disservice to WPL and to the donors. The largest prize pool in The M&B franchise history should be put to better use, aka with the best of skill and competition.

I think we should leave the question of this tournament open for a while. It's no secret that in both EU and NA a number of players have gone inactive so we should see if any of these players are prepared to come back to try and win this. There are still a good amount of players around from both scenes at the moment anyway.

The_Troubadour said:
Thunderbeu said:
So all time high competition is wK and TMW in NA at least idk what's different now lol there was SJW and tK practically the same ****
It really isn't.
I know that's what you think, but take it from the guys that have seen more players and teams than you have. The best was wK, Balion, TMW, BkS, and GA; all teams you haven't seen in full force or even half as good as their peak. The skill and team cohesion during UNAC 1 was much, much higher compared to the most recent one.

So one tourney, nice.

Thunderbeu said:
The_Troubadour said:
Thunderbeu said:
It really isn't.

So one tourney, nice.
?

Maybe we should keep making little tournaments here and there while waiting for Bannerlord and make a big event like this one with a price when Bannerlord is released.

Personally, I've never seen this game like it is at the moment. Native is quite dead. I know it's holidays but I didn't move from Belgium in 6 years and I can tell you I've never seen the game as dead as it is right now during July/August.

I moved to Mercenaries because that's where you can easily find a lot of people.

People want Bannerlord, we know what it will look like, we had gameplay previews,... we are all waiting and some of us are playing on other games and some people wanted to leave the game to come back on Bannerlord, they already wanted to do that 1 year ago but they came back because they knew it wouldn't be out before a long time. The thing is, this time they know that the game will be released in 2017. I mean, there will still be people to play,... but I'm pretty sure it won't be enough and I think that we don't need a tournament like this one at the moment.

We should continue to play some tournaments like 5aside,... to keep the players who want to play active, but a tournament like this one would be an amazing thing to open the multiplayer competitive scene on Bannerlord.

Listen you put up a tourney like this and people will come play, if there is no tourney people have no reason to and that's why the game is kinda in it's dead state.

Thunderbeu said:
Listen you put up a tourney like this and people will come play, if there is no tourney people have no reason to and that's why the game is kinda in it's dead state.

It's also true.

Thunderbeu said:
Disagree. Not even the first WPL drew out the old teams, nor did it make the teams that did return be competitive as ever. I get what you are saying how it should theoretically make them do such things, but that's not what actually happened.
It did have a markedly better improvement over UNAC 5, though.

You don't need BkS and Balion to make it competitive lol they woulda been **** in WPL anyways like sorry Balion but your UNAC 6 run was weak af and proof I guess

Back
Top Bottom