SP Fantasy [WB] The Fallen Republic

Users who are viewing this thread

Mispronounced

Sergeant

The Fallen Republic

Hey, everyone! Thanks for stopping by to check out my little project. Now that formalities are out of the way, let's move on to the mod. The project is still very much in its initial stages of where I would like it to be, so don't expect a fully playable download anytime soon. Ehh, due to me being a one man band, this project is not planned to have any "revolutionary" features. Honestly, I'm not very enthusiastic about learning MBScript, due to the eminent release of M&B 2: Bannerlord; players are bound to stop playing Warband in droves after a release, so learning an entire language only used for this game is not very high on my list of things-to-learn.

About Me
Whaaat?! You're not going to read this? :cry: I understand, you're allowed to move on (semi-) guilt free. For those of you who are willing to learn stuff about me here 'ya go: I'm a 17 year old high school student that lives in North Carolina, USA in a small rural town near the coast. Now, before you come trying to find me, make sure you've read up on Southern United States. Trust me, you don't want to meet Southern residents without some prior knowledge. I have severe short-term memory loss, so if you tell me something and I forget, I'm sorry. I'm completing my final year of high school this year and (hopefully) moving on to university. This means I, sadly, am not able to work on this project as much as I would like. Ehh, some of my interests include (sparsely) gaming, following tech news, (professional) meme browsing, (binge) watching anime (yes, really), listening to music (EDM, primarily a record label called Monstercat), and sadly, following U.S politics. Yeah, I'm a pretty boring guy. I'd love to strike up a conversation about any of these topics with anyone, so don't be afraid to do so!

Features
Updated August 30, 2016

Implemented Features
  • A new map, set in the land of x
  • 6 new factions
  • Lord defection will not occur
WIP Features
  • Start as a king
  • Unique troops for every faction
  • Revampted bandits, more parties, better equipment
  • Semi-well thought out lore
  • No new items, using purely Native items
  • the above mentioned feature is a joke
  • Companions, the only way to acquire lords. Also, they explain some lore.
  • Bleeding, from Brytenwalda
Planned Features
  • A port system and naval battles
  • New scenes for every capital
  • PBOD
  • Diplomacy
I removed some "features" that were mentioned before, mainly because they were not very brag-worthy. This is by no means a complete list of the features, I just couldn't think of anything else that was noteworthy.

Factions
  • The x Republic (player faction)
  • Ashikawa Shogunate
  • x Barbarians
  • The Kingdom of x
  • The x Confederation
  • The Zimin Feudal Order

Lore
lol, I'm a lazy SOB. I'll add this in later. To find out more about the mod, check out the first page of replies. Here, have this outdated version of the lore:
NOTE: This is by no means a historically or geographically accurate mod! So no "But X never did that!! ", please.
Mispronounced said:
Here's an idea i came up with the other day:

Backstory
You are the King of a nation simpily known as The Republic, a nation filled with honest, hard working individuals and fair rulers. This nation was created by you, after a long brutal period of petty wars between fuedal lords and when bandits roamed the land unopposed. You are the son of a small fuedal lord who commited suicide. In your father's suicide note, he left all he held to you and wrote a sinister final line: "If I were you, my son, I would follow suit...for I could never live in such a world." So, at the tender age of 17, you were thrust into this unforgiving world; holding responsibilities no young one should ever have. But despite everything, you swore you would fight this cruel destiny, and create a world where your father could have lived happily.

By the age of 20, you had grown your small fuedal holdings left to you by your father into a formidable force, slowly growing your holdings. As you released the people from their often cruel lords, you established a council and a democracy to run affairs. Soon you were no longer just a simple fuedal lord, but a King. During your endevor to unite the land, you met a woman, whom you fell in love with and marry. She gave birth to 3 strong sons, all of which became great generals in your cause. Together you conquered the land and brought peace to its people at last.

But good times never last forever... for a menace approaches.

Present Time
"Why? Why is peace not allowed to exist?" you cry as you stand over the charred bodies of your family. Fire surrounds you, the room filled with pitch black smoke. You are in the Throne Room of the castle in The Capital, which has been sieged by The Empire. As the room begins to collapse you run towards the hidden exit, looking back once more only to see your family crushed by a fiery beam.

You awake from your hellish nightmare screaming, a cold sweat running down your body. Ever since that day, you've had the same dream almost every night. As you stand, you look out the window, down at the Final Stonghold. After the successful siege of The Capital, The Empire quickly took control of the remaining castles surrounding The Capital. You remember the horrors you heard of the actions the Empire took against your soldiers and people. After you realized many of the castles were unprepared for such a large scale assault, you ordered any attacked fort to surrender. Sadly, The Empire took no prisoners and brutally executed any soldiers who surrendered and enslaved the local people. Now, the only safehaven of The Republic is the small city of Final Stonghold on the east coast.

Many years have passed since the siege of The Capital, and you are battleworn from countless lost battles and grief striken from the lost of your family and many friends. The people grow increasingly restless as the days go by and The Empire approaches. You realize this is the Final Stand against The Empire. You call for an assembly of the people and deliver a passionate and emotion filled speech. During the speech, you beg for 50,000 men to take up arms and follow you for an offensive against The Empire. You plan to take back The Capital in order to gain a foothold on the war; hopefully enough to push back The Empire. You give the men one week to decide if they are going to fight and tell them to meet near the river leading towards The Capital.
During the week before the offensive, a man in strange clothing appears before you as you sleep. He claims he is from the islands off the coast. He tells you he has heard tales of an evil Empire approaching his island and he even suspects they have already landed on the island. He offers me a deal: take out the small force sent by The Empire on his island and he will send as much troops as possible to assist in the siege of The Capital. If you were to accept this, you would risk The Empire hearing word about your planned offensive and reinforce The Capital. Should you help the strange man or continue the invasion without his help?
As you approach the river, a messenger appears. He informs you that 100,000 volunteers had enlisted, but despite this seemingly wonderful news, the messenger did not appear happy...Climbing over a hill you look down at your Army, all 100,000 of them. Slowly, you begin to shead tears. Your Army consisted of women, the elderly, children, adolescents, and wounded soldiers. Many of the "soldiers" carried no weapons and the few "weapons", much of them being farming equipment, being used were in terrible condition. "All hope is lost...perhaps I should have followed suit, Father." you whisper. As you begin to think about disbanding your Army, a woman approaches you. "Do not lose hope, for that is the name of my child." she says as she looks downwards, "I chose to fight for Hope, for a better future" Her words echo in your head, giving back your lost hope.. You look ahead, towards The Capital, and begin your march.

-----------

That's it. This will be a story of sacrifice, hope and patriotism. You will begin the game with the 100,000 soldiers (plus some trained troops) near The Capital, which will have 5,000 troops garrisoned. The whole idea is to retake all of the lost land taken by The Empire and restore order and implement unity once again.

- During the story I repeatedly stated the character is male, but a female option is open. I just wanted the story to sound better.
- I would like this mod to take place after a fictional dark age in a fictional world. The name would be <insert year>: The Final Stand. As for the name of the Empire and any other name, that is a placeholder name.
- The number of troops is also subject to change, i know M&B can"t handle huge battle sizes. But i would like to refrain from only having a final stand force of only 200, thats just silly  :neutral:
- I know the child soldier prospect is a bit graphic, but i want to create a sense of desperation and show this is really the final stand.
- Many will die in the siege, but i would like for the volunteers to at least desl some damage to the Empire troops, not like 1 damage each hit, maybe 5 or 7, make them have a chance of winning.
- The whole map will be small, only including The Republic, The Empire, and the Island (hidden by Fog of War). The Republic will only have a few castles and cities close together and the Empire will have one city in the north, untakable until the end (also hidden).
- I'm not sure what to theme the 2 (maybe 3) factions on or what time period to model them after. I was thinking about having the island people have guns, or advanced crossbows, so not to much into the past. I was thinking The Republic = typical european nation; The Empire = Chinese/Japanese--from an island, that'd be cool; Island = french?

- a small mod, with a lot of work to be done

------------
I would work on this mod myself, but I'm terrible at modeling and graphic design. I believe I can figure out the coding aspect myself with some tutorials here and there. I would love to have custom scenes for each Republic city and custom map icons!

Thanks for reading!  :grin: :grin: :grin:
sorry for the crappy ending with the pregant lady, i suck at endings. also, i know i use "and" a lot, its a bad habit.

Media
Nothing to see here (yet)!

Credits
A huge thanks to these amazing people who decided to share their work with the community! This project would not be possible without their contributions.

This list is subject to change as resources are added and/or removed. Most OSP packs are used "as is". If you see your work in my mod and you are not credited, please PM me so I can add you to the list.

OSP Mod Resources Used
  • Brytenwalda - Brytenwalda Team
OSP Packs Used

Special Thanks
  • Ramaraunt - for inspiring me to make my idea come alive. Check out his video tutorials and his work with textures! This mod would never be completed without his guidance.
  • kalarhan - for helping me in the Modding Q&A thread. He didn't give me a lot of direct answers, but instead he pushed me to find out for myself.
  • x
  • x
  • x

Attack of the mutant unordered lists!

The map is nearing completion! Just a have to fix some bridges, raise some hills, and move the factions into place. Will add a download link soon, it won't be playable, but you can get a feel of the map. Also, adding some screenshots to get this thread started.

So...

The release has been delayed a tiny bit due to complications with the Module System. I still VERY new at the whole Warband modding thing, so expect these from time to time.

On a nicer note, I'm going to use Diplomacy 4.2 as the base for this mod, so extra features! Plus, some combat enhancements that add kicking and shield bashing for both player and AI!

EDIT: Here's a little screenshot of the completed map, ignore the icon placements.
0WOXbcj.jpg

I'm not very happy with the map that is currently in place. So, I'm going to take a small detour to fix/edit the map. Being my first map ever, I think i did well, but just missed some details.

In other news: The troop tree for Ravkin is almost complete! ... I just need a name for the final infantry tier. Help me decide: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,354397.0.html

I've started work on the Akwe Tribals. For starters, i decided to rename them to (name pending) and base then off the Iroquois Confederation. Lots of bows and clubs :grin:

Finally, I'm gonna update the OP properly tommorow. I have a huge headache today so i'll only update the progress for now :sad:

King Richard said:
ayy this looks cool , and the start as a king feature ? major fappage !  :mrgreen:

I'll keep my eyes on this for sure
Yeah, basically you're going to start off with 1 town and 3 lords and you have to regain your land. Of course, being a king already, you start of with lots if troops and whatnot. I've already increased all of lord party sizes, so bigger fights :smile: and tougher bandits!

Easter_Cow said:
Good luck on the mod Mispronounced. Looking forward to downloading this sick mod. :smile:
Thanks! Seeing some support motivates me even more! To be honest, I've been somewhat disillusioned recently due to some annoying bugs. Again, thanks for support!

Currently adding tons of items for the troops and of course the player :grin:

Can you add some bear/wolf pelt cloaks ? I don't know if that's complicated for you, I don't have a lot of experience in adding items to the game  :razz:

There are some in the Brytenwalda OSP.

King Richard said:
Can you add some bear/wolf pelt cloaks ? I don't know if that's complicated for you, I don't have a lot of experience in adding items to the game  :razz:

There are some in the Brytenwalda OSP.
I'll look into it :smile:
Everyone knows Russians must wear pelt coats, so expect to see them there.

Edit: Thanks for putting my mod in your sig, :grin:

You can add them into some "nord" troops or bandits, maybe berserkers ?  :wink:

Something like this
3hpvp.jpg

I only put mods that interest me in my signatures  :party:, but you don't have the big picture like for ex : Vyrn has, so I can only put the link.

Ohhh, nice pic, thanks for it. I wish i had a awesome picture for my mod, but i suck at any type of art. I may just have a crappy one as a placeholder for now  :???: .

Heck, i wish i knew enough about scripting/animations to make some dual wieiding axe lunitics  :twisted: :grin:

The mountain faction only uses axes and hunting bows. One of the top tier troops is called a Bezerker and has a huge two handed axe. I don"t really know how to implement this, but i want them to use weak bows and have average bow skill, but their arrows are serrated and cause bleeding.

(Yes there will be bleeding, I don't want horses to be overpowered and dominate, so bleeding and spear bracing will try to accomplish this.)

Edit: Dang, I haven't told you guys about the factions at all...I need to fix that. Gonna pause work to write some info on them; not much, cause I'm unimaginative, but enough to make them interesting.

I was taking a more detailed look into the features and I have some opinions about them :

New scenes for capital towns ? I don't think they are necessary, or at least you shouldn't waste time on them, for now, unless you really want them  :party:

Customizing recruits ? I don't think that's really necessary, specially if the mod is story driven.

A separated version with improved graphics ? If people want them, it's easy, they can install them on their own, with a level of complication close to none.

Oh, do you know where I can find a GOOD tutorial on how to create a custom map ? The ones I find are very scarce in information.

Yeah, all of those features are pretty low on my to-do list. I haven't even touched any scenes. I never understood why mod devs show off pretty scenes and troops, but their game is a buggy mess.

Honestly, map making took me about a whole week to just research. The tutorials out there are waaayy outdated and lack info. Here is what I did:

- I watched Ramaraunt's tutorials, mainly episodes 1-4.1 . In his videos he messes up a few times, so watch them first and then try to follow along. The video series is very recent, so it's pretty reliable.

Programs I use:
Blender - I use this to make the initial plane paint terrain
Swyter's Cartographer - The only usage of this tool is moving around the icons on the map. Also, I load my .obj files thru it to save them as the playable map.txt. Requires the Module System.
Thorgim's Map Editor(TME) - Don't listen to anyone who tells you this program does not work for Warband! It does! Well, for the most part, it does. To make it work is a hassle and it took me forever to finally make it work, but it's pretty simple once you know how to do it.

1. Download the original Mount & Blade. If you don't own the full game, you can use the free version and it will work just fine. Make sure to install it in the suggested directory.
2. Go to where you installed M&B and find the Modules folder. I suggest you make a copy of the Native folder and name it something like "Map". If you haven"t done so already, do the same for your Warband Native file.
4. Take map.txt , parties.txt , and map_icons.txt and COPY them (don't drag and drop) from your Warband module to the original M&B module. It will ask you to overide them, click replace (if it asks for Admin permission, allow it).
5. Install the map editor anywhere you want and run mapeditor.exe IN ADMINISTRATOR MODE (right-click it and select "Run as Administrator")
6. You can edit Calradia or create a new map with the menu button on the bottom right. Once you are happy with your edits, save the map, go to the M&B modules folder, and copy map.txt , map_icons.txt , and parties.txt to your Warband module. You must do this every time you make edits with TME.
7. Done  :party:

Some extra notes on TME:
- I do not suggest you edit party (towns, villages, bridges, etc) with TME. This is because TME is unable to select certain parties (such as Sarranid villages) to move them around. Also, if you are going to use the Module System, it will reset any party movements done by TME. Use Swyter's Cartographer for this.
- I don't know if it's just me, but using the vertices selector selects more than one vertice and can mess up a map bad.
- Save frequently, TME is known to crash a lot.
- Read the help menu that first appears when you start TME. Press H to bring it back at anytime.
- If you are getting low FPS, toggle towns, map borders, terrain blending, and trees, until you get a desireable FPS.
- Check out the settings file in the mapData folder.

Sorry for hitting you with a wall of text. I would be glad to share with you step by step how i create maps. There is so much more than this, this is jusy the basics. Just let me know if you're interested!

Thanks for the tutorial, and thank Ramaraunt for the video tutorials  :mrgreen:

If you have the time, you can teach tell me more about it.

Sorry for the late-ish reply. Here is my method of making a campaign map:

0. Set up the Module System. This tutorial is not possible without it. Use Ramaraunt's videos to set it up, he uses Lav's compiler and modified Module System, and so should you (and everyone).

I highly suggest you create an image of what your map is going to look like, even if it's a crappy image you made in MS Paint. Just play around drawing land masses and eventually you'll get a rough image of what your map is going to look like. You could also make a height map for your image, but I don't really know how to do this, so I can't help you...

Watch the entirety of Ramaraunt's videos, or at least videos 1-4.1, I will assume you have already watched them at certain points!

I have to use this method due to my **** PC specs, so if you have a good PC, do this: Navigate to where you installed Thorgrim's Map Editor (TME). In the editorData folder, open setting.cfg with Notepad. Mess around with these options until you get your desired map size 'n stuff. I don't know much about this, so you're on your own, but it's pretty self-explanatory.
Code:
#  Size of new maps when created (in game units)
MapWidth=280
MapHeight=280

#  Number of tiles around the border of the map to make larger
BorderSize=30

#  Mesh density of new maps when created. 
#  This number indicates the number of tiles per 1x1 unit of the map.
#  So a 320x320 map, with density 0.5 will be created with 160x160 tiles. 
MapDensity=0.5

1. I was going to write how to take the materials from TME and put them in Blender, but I decided take the lazy approach and just give you an .obj file that includes all of the textures: materials.obj download

To use the materials.obj, open Blender and go to File > Import > Wavefront (.obj). IMPORTANT: Make sure you select "Keep Vert Order" before you import the .obj file!

2. Select the exsisting mesh that is loaded and delete the Faces, the materials will remain, so don't worry.

:!: If you created an image to base your map on: Press N > Background Image (near bottom) > click the arrow to show more > check the box > Add Image > Open. I suggest you resize the image to something around 500 (the option under Flip V toggle), about the size of Calradia and scale the plane to match the image. Press Z to make the mesh go into Wireframe mode.

Create a plane, cut (I suggest cutting it 155 x 155 , but try not to go too high, as it causes framerate drops), and triangulate it. Then, assign the enire map to water.

Do your edits now. I only use Blender to assign terrains and edit vertices/faces.

3. Once your edits are done, go to File > Export > Wavefront (.obj), name the file whatever you want.

4. Open Swyter's Cartographer. Press F7 to import your .obj. Once it is loaded, you can press F5 to save your map if you find the results satisfactory. Since you're already there, move MainParty to walkable land if it is on unwalkable terrain (such as water or mountain). The game will not load otherwise. For this to save, press F9 and compile the Module.

(You may want to check to see if you've done everything by running Warband and starting a new game.)

5. Next, copy map.txt, map_icons.txt, and parties.txt from your Warband module to the original M&B moudule, so you can see the map in TME. I use TME to raise and lower terrain...that's pretty much it. Make your desired edits, save, and copy the 3 files back to your Warband module.

6. Done! :party:

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to ask any questions! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom