Is there a chance that denmark will be added to this mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

5MgaHQy.jpg

A bit of history for those interested
The Dano-Norwegian Kingdom grew wealthy during the 16th century, largely because of the increased traffic through the Øresund, which Danes could tax because Denmark controlled both sides of the Sound. The trade in grain exports from Poland to the Netherlands and to the rest of Europe grew enormously at this time, and the Danish kings did not hesitate to cash in on it.

King Christian IV, who was also a duke of the Holy Roman Empire on the basis of his possessions in Holstein, decided to intervene in the conflict raging in northern Germany. The campaign ended in defeat, and Jutland was occupied by the imperial army of Albrecht von Wallenstein. In the Treaty of Lübeck, Christian made peace and agreed to not intervene in Germany again. The war in Germany had been very expensive and Christian IV saw no other recourse than to raise the Sound tolls. Unfortunately, this act pushed the Netherlands away from Denmark and into the arms of Sweden.

In 1643, Sweden's armies, under the command of Lennart Torstensson, suddenly invaded Denmark without declaring war. The ensuing conflict became known as the Torstenson War. The Netherlands, wishing to end the Danish stranglehold on the Baltic, joined the Swedes in their war against Denmark–Norway. In October 1644 a combined Dutch-Swedish fleet destroyed 80 percent of the Danish fleet in the Battle of Femern. The result of this defeat proved disastrous for Denmark–Norway: in the Second treaty of Brömsebro (1645) Denmark ceded to Sweden the Norwegian provinces Jemtland, Herjedalen and Älvdalen as well as the Danish islands of Gotland and Øsel. Halland went to Sweden for a period of 30 years and the Netherlands were exempted from paying the Sound Duty.

In 1657, during the Second Northern War, Denmark–Norway launched a war of revenge against Sweden (then distracted in Poland) which turned into a complete disaster. The war became a disaster for two reasons: Primarily, because Denmark's new powerful ally, the Netherlands, remained neutral as Denmark was the aggressor and Sweden the defender. Secondly, the Belts froze over in a rare occurrence during the winter of 1657-1658, allowing Charles X Gustav of Sweden to lead his armies across the ice to invade Zealand.

In the following Treaty of Roskilde, Denmark–Norway capitulated and gave up all of Eastern Denmark (Danish: Skåne, Halland, Blekinge and Bornholm), in addition to the counties of Bahusia (Norwegian: Båhuslen) and Trøndelag in Norway. Holstein-Gottorp was also tied to Sweden, providing a gateway for future invasions from the south.

But the Second Northern War was not yet over. Three months after the peace treaty was signed, Charles X Gustav of Sweden held a council of war where he decided to simply wipe Denmark from the map and unite all of Scandinavia under his rule. Once again the Swedish army arrived outside Copenhagen. However, this time the Danes did not panic or surrender. Instead, they decided to fight and prepared to defend Copenhagen.

March across the Belts in 1658
Frederick III of Denmark had stayed in his capital and now encouraged the citizens of Copenhagen to resist the Swedes, by saying he would die in his nest. Furthermore, this unprovoked declaration of war by Sweden finally triggered the alliance that Denmark–Norway had with the Netherlands. A powerful Dutch fleet was sent to Copenhagen with vital supplies and reinforcements, which saved the city from being captured during the Swedish attack. Furthermore, Brandenburg-Prussia, the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Habsburg monarchy had gathered large forces to aid Denmark–Norway and fighting continued into 1659.

Battle of Køge Bay in 1677
Charles X Gustav of Sweden suddenly died of an illness in early 1660, while planning an invasion of Norway. Following his death, Sweden made peace in the Treaty of Copenhagen. The Swedes returned Trøndelag to Norway and Bornholm to Denmark, but kept both Bahusia and Terra Scania. The Netherlands and other European powers accepted the settlement, not wanting both coasts of the Sound controlled by Denmark. This treaty established the boundaries between Norway, Denmark, and Sweden that still exist today.
Fits very well
So historically Denmark fist very well into the mod, and where heavily influenced by the Deluge going on in Poland. And they where at war with two of the already existing nations HRE and Sweden, and later became allies with HRE and Poland. Stefan Czarniecki even crossing with his entire army to the Danish isle of Alsen, was commemorated in the song of the Polish Napoleonic Legions that would eventually become the Polish national anthem. So there are plenty of scenarios to reenact, and also what if scenarios.

Troops and Stuff
Finding informations about particular regiments and uniforms has been quite hard but this is what i found.

UvQb4Oc.png

The danish army split into two parts, the army and the militia. The army where your standard european pike and shotte, but where relatively well equipped due to the huge amount of money collected taxing Øresund. There where no official uniform but some regiments laid  down dress codes and Christian IV of Denmark laid down regulations for uniforms in a fair bit of detail for for significant parts of their troops but supply could never satisfy the demand for cloth and providing the men with some form of clothing was always more important than ensuring that they were dressed in the proper colours. As a result only a select minority of regiments mantained their uniform apperance over long periods of time. The army tended to dress well, until the treasury became exhausted.
Regiments where often dress in red and yellow witch where the colors of the king and house of oldenburg. But blue, grey and brown where also seen.

Here is a painting of the most of the danish army composition in 1660 when the new king was crowed. And how i could imagine army layout would be.
A2KtGSQ.jpg

U can see on the painting form the homage of the king. There are Musketeer in various uniforms, halberdiers guarding around gates, Pike-men, reiters, and one cuirassier next to the gate, and next to the empty thrones are the drabantgarden.

Musketeers
There are a  couple of different types of musketeers there where militia, just people forced into war, mercenary regiment often german or dutch. And there where danish regiment and the life guards
The life guards where regiment made of purely danes to ensure higher loyalty form the regiments, where other danish regiemnt did allowed other nationalities.

UvQb4Oc.png

mTnkYy9.png

RNnfizV.jpg

Pikemen and Halberdiers
I would put these classes togetheras i suspekt they where used for the same jobs.

abDmHGZ.jpg

XpKmJOh.jpg

Drabantgarden / Drabant Guards
Where also halberdiers but the Drabant Guards where also the kings own guards, they dindt wear plate armors becuase they had to follow the king around, and in 1666 they became a part of the army.
So light helbardier-ish troops. that probely should have there own class even thoug similair to Pikemen and Halberdiers.

LaFNfoF.jpg

pfXnm7b.jpg

Cuirassier
dsM0Nh7.jpg

Reiters
Ugl6yyA.jpg

Reiters variant
7grHb53.jpg

Life Guards on Horse
Again where made of purely danes to ensure higher loyalty, there uniforms look very frenh inspired witcch i think looks kinda cool
EuU0Inz.jpg

see also in left corner here
W4X5Qbu.jpg

Artillery
283913.jpg

mercenaries
Denmark was a small kingdom and needed additional man power when fighting the HRE doing the thirty years war, so the hired dutch and german mercenarys/landsknechts. So even if
denmark it self doesnt have enough troop variation dutch and german mercenarys has plenty of options.

YOafIKY.jpg

mPtKIKB.jpg

Volunteers
Doing the swedish invasions of denmark people would volunteer to fight against them becasue the hatred against was massive.
To help the fight volunteers would armed themself with muskets, scythes , Maces , boiling water and tar to hold of the enermy.

497px-Rosenstand_-_Studenternes_deltagelse_i_K%C3%B8benhavns_forsvar.jpg

gøngerne

Some people even starting fighting  in a guerilla style fashion against swedish occupying and became know as friskytter/snaphane.  I think this class has great potential.

3b169c_e3577ff186485c78d9c3dc40607d1c33.jpg

The famous " Gønge musket" was  friskytter/snaphane favorit weapon . It was usually manufactured by their own blacksmiths, who had a long tradition of this craft .
goengevaer.jpg

Other equitment could be a shield that is just a brach so when u block its almost camouflage you, making ambushing and skirmishing easier
Q4wx7rX.png

Conclusion

I would really much hope you consider adding denmark as a faction, on the offiensive Denmark had very little luck witch maybe could be reflected in the stats on the faction, with bad melee and low hp, shotter sword/pikes, no shields, very light horses, weak melee stats, but better reload and accuracy to reflect it being better on the defensive.

sincerely - a dane hungry to shoot swedes :smile:
I have done my best keep this as historically accurate as possible, but mis information may acure as i am no historian.

Denmark has the same units as Sweden and HRE: pikeman-pikeman-pikeman, musketeer-musketeer-musketeer, reitar-reitar-cuirassier :shock:. So what's new will add Denmark?
We search the faction who add something new to The Deluge.
Some times ago I was searching information about Transilvania, and I heard "It would be a boring mix of Poland&HRE".

Muzg said:
Denmark has the same units as Sweden and HRE: pikeman-pikeman-pikeman, musketeer-musketeer-musketeer, reitar-reitar-cuirassier :shock:. So what's new will add Denmark?
Some times ago I was searching information about Transilvania, and I heard "It would be a boring mix of Poland&HRE".

I dont think there are any nation that could add anything completely new without being really out of place with the amount of variety between factions already, and the limits of the theme and timeline. It will most likely just add some variety in the battles, because right now its very often HRE vs Sweden because that very equal nations, just like Poland-lithuania, Russia, Ottomans and Cossack  are very equal.
But main reason is i really think Denmark fits so well, it thougt HRE and Sweden two nations already in the mod, and the main reason for war against Sweden was becasue of the Sweden where busy with fighting in polish-lithuanian, so danish king hope to get some lost territories back.

wiener_snitzel said:
Poland-lithuania, Russia, Ottomans and Cossack  are very equal.
Eee... no :facepalm:
But main reason is i really think Denmark fits so well, it thougt HRE and Sweden two nations already in the mod, and the main reason for war against Sweden was becasue of the Sweden where busy with fighting in polish-lithuanian, so danish king hope to get some lost territories back.
Like George II Rákóczi in 1657.
wiener_snitzel said:
I dont think there are any nation that could add anything completely new
France, but is not historical.

France? wouldn't france be  pikeman-pikeman-pikeman, musketeer-musketeer-musketeer, reitar-reitar-cuirassier ?

NightHawkreal said:

I doubt that you will find it.

maybe this will convince ya http://imgur.com/a/G4e9m

I agree that Denmark would fit this mod very well, but the thing is, as Muzg already said, we are searching for something new. We should not make this another NW, where you have plenty of different uniform colours and weapon textures, but it's all really the same in each faction, same unit categories, stats and tactics...
When we were introducing HRE into Deluge there were some voices that it will be a copy of Sweden, as you see we managed to avoid this happening by adding some national troops from Empire, Croatian cav, border guardsmen. We also tried to represent the differences in historical army balance and tactics between these 2 factions, by making HRE more melee-based faction (heavier pikemen, longer pikes and bigger shields) and giving Sweden better firepower.

If we were to add Denmark as the next faction, we would have to make it original, just as any other faction already being in the mod. Orignal means having different balance of units and weaponry, not only beautiful red uniforms :wink: For now there is only one special feature I can list - I heard about men called friskyttar or Snapphanar, they were a sort of pro-danish guerilla fighters on Danish lands conquered by Sweden that times. I believe it's a very good source for a light infantry/skirmisher unit, just as rezun in cossacks or border guardman in HRE. But it's still not enough... Maybe you as a Dane will have more ideas what more could make your faction unique.

All propositions are welcome, as I said, I generally support this idea and if you help us find something that will make Denmark worth adding, I guess one day you will see it in Deluge  :party:

wiener_snitzel, if you really want to see your beloved Denmark in Deluge, why don't you just recolor Sweden or HRE so that they would have red uniforms? As Muzg and Czeremis already mentioned, Denmark used pretty much the same units as it's neighbors, so recoloring one of these 2 factions would give you nearly as much as having actual Denmark added to the mod.

vtz said:
wiener_snitzel, if you really want to see your beloved Denmark in Deluge, why don't you just recolor Sweden or HRE so that they would have red uniforms? As Muzg and Czeremis already mentioned, Denmark used pretty much the same units as it's neighbors, so recoloring one of these 2 factions would give you nearly as much as having actual Denmark added to the mod.

I tried but i dont understand stand how Deluge is put together, they all have a white uniforms in OpenBRF. Also the most fun thing about having Denmark would be to battle both Sweden and HRE, (mostly Sweden).

I have done a bit of research on Denmark army and stuff form 1600 and would still argue that Denmark would add some new stuff. Not gonna lie they have huge similarities with HRE and Sweden however its often said that Danish troops where rather well equipped compared to Swedish, simply because they didn't have as big as army and Denmark made tons of money taxing the entry to the baltic sea.
While Denmark have the standard units of every army at the time Pikes, Cav, And musketeers here are a few special units.

Drabant korps ( Light helbard-ish troops )

Landsknecht Mercenaries ( German/Dutch troops, Various units )

Friskytter/Snaphaner ( Skirmishers/Gorilla )

Civilian volunteer ( Peasant, however they only helped defend )

Life guards ( Royal Musketeers Guard,  however they proberly fit under musketeer with fancy uniform)

So i still think even with the similarities too HRE and Sweden dnemark would add some variety and new stuff.

Why not?

Such addition wouldn't cause any harm, so why not? I am sure that Denmark would look intresting, new uniforms, armors, hats ( :smile:) units that are not strictly the same, west european scheme of pike and shot and new banners, if that's a possibility.

As our dear OP has shown us how could this look like, I am backing his idea.

Sorry for necro posting, but there's another unit that can be added to the Denmark to make them feel unique - the Royal Lifeguards. This regiment was raised prior to the 2nd Karl-Gustav war, since the king knew that the peace wouldn't last and he wanted a loyal regiment of nationals to guard his person. The recruits were all recruited from Danish territory and the command language was Danish (it was German in the rest of the army).The regiment is a parade regiment, but has been very active in combat and is probably the most decorated unit in the Danish army, and have been in combat in almost all wars ever since, including Iraq and Afghanistan.

They took part in the Siege of Coppenhagen as one of the few organized army regiments on Danish side, but what's most interesting (and could be used to make them unique form the rest) are the Kalthoff repeater muskets. I don't recall any army in Deluge having those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalthoff_repeater

The goal of adding new units is adding new features, new playstyles on clanwars, and possibly, new game mechanics -- not adding new fancy uniforms. Sorry, but it's not Napoleonic Wars, and a new faction is supposed to be distinct from others and to offer new playstyles. There has long been a problem of HRE being better than Sweden at every aspect, and it has been fixed in the latest patch in which Sweden received improved accuracy.
If you wish that Denmark be added to The Deluge, suggest some new pieces of equipment that Denmark would have, or new units that will actually be unique, not a copy of existing ones. Denmark wouldn't be bad as a new faction, but only if it's at least in several ways distinct from HRE and Sweden :wink:

EDIT: I've just read about the firearm you gave the link to and it sounds very interesting. With lowered accuracy, high chance of a misfire due to complicated mechanism, and a limit of one per team on a clanwar, it would probably be a balanced musket, worthy of being added to the game. That's one unique features Denmark could get. Let's get some more and then Denmark will actually become a unique faction that can be added into the mod  :grin:

The goal of adding new units is adding new features, new playstyles on clanwars, and possibly, new game mechanics -- not adding new fancy uniforms. Sorry, but it's not Napoleonic Wars, and a new faction is supposed to be distinct from others and to offer new playstyles. There has long been a problem of HRE being better than Sweden at every aspect, and it has been fixed in the latest patch in which Sweden received improved accuracy.
If you wish that Denmark be added to The Deluge, suggest some new pieces of equipment that Denmark would have, or new units that will actually be unique, not a copy of existing ones. Denmark wouldn't be bad as a new faction, but only if it's at least in several ways distinct from HRE and Sweden :wink:

EDIT: I've just read about the firearm you gave the link to and it sounds very interesting. With lowered accuracy, high chance of a misfire due to complicated mechanism, and a limit of one per team on a clanwar, it would probably be a balanced musket, worthy of being added to the game. That's one unique features Denmark could get. Let's get some more and then Denmark will actually become a unique faction that can be added into the mod :grin:

well it could be a possibility

well i still hope for some beautiful three quarter armor , munition grade armor and half armor

for shock troops , and Heavy Cuirassiers

and armet helmets with plumed variant
also plumed morion

also hope Denmark comes with dutch and german mercenaries

but also

i hope the Holland flag gets fixed :sad:

Back
Top Bottom