Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 13 - Weekending

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Greetings ye faithful and thank you for coming to read the, somewhat belated, thirteenth of our here Bannerlord blogs. As promised, we're giving a rundown of what we showed at the PC Gamer Weekender (video below) in March, with some added detail, guided by the questions we received on the forums. Thanks to everyone who got involved whether directly asking questions or just discussing in general!</p>
<p><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bbrnPtybNd4" frameborder="0" width="560" height="370"></iframe></p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/15

You people are being way too harsh and it's obvious you expected too much of this blog. Lust even said that the blog would be about answering questions regarding confusions about the previous video update if I remember correctly, which is exactly what he did. He also said there might be an actual big Q&A later on so there's your hope.  :wink:

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
We've been waiting 2 months for the same thing we've seen on PCGamer event + info that walls have strength stat? 2 months for answering the same **** we've heard during presentation? Not even new video? Are you serious?

Armagan, if you're reading this. Hire a community manager, please. A real one.

+1

I agree this was a very weak blog... How hard can it be to tell us something new? And how did it take two months to make a recap of a video ?

Taleworlds is a semi-big company now and therefor better PR/Marketing/Community managing should really be expected...

Really... That's all we get? It takes 2 months to summarize the stream? At this point I'm more annoyed than excited...

Now, while we have made the taverns separate scenes, in order to prioritise improving the content and variety of gameplay that towns can offer, that decision may change in the future and there is a lot of work we can and will do to optimise and reduce the loading times as much as possible, before the game's release.

Interesting, so the loading screens in towns may still disappear?  :smile:

Also, digging the new screens.

Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:
We've been waiting 2 months for the same thing we've seen on PCGamer event + info that walls have strength stat? 2 months for answering the same **** we've heard during presentation? Not even new video? Are you serious?

kekXrPq.gif

Ease up! We have no idea what their dev timeline is like and blogs are probably entirely based on internal milestones :smile:

CrepperTVRO said:
Can we make our own armor,shields or bows/crossbows also ?
Last year you show that there will be no loading screen when entering exiting tavern from city or market ,now we see that there is loading screen please respond and post more offten :smile:)

Those are both answered in the blog- only melee weapons are crafted. I think it was also mentioned in the video.

As for the taverns and loading screens:

Now, while we have made the taverns separate scenes, in order to prioritise improving the content and variety of gameplay that towns can offer, that decision may change in the future and there is a lot of work we can and will do to optimise and reduce the loading times as much as possible, before the game's release.

The loading screens might remain, they might not, but they are going to reduce the loading times in any case.

Here are some of the details that I personally found interesting in the blog, copied from my post in the main Bannerlord thread:

Our three Empire factions: Western (orange), Northern (magenta) and Southern (purple), are culturally the same but vary in behaviour, dependent on the personalities of their leaders and lords, the partners with which they can trade and their natural resources. In this sense, each develop their own nature, through the game mechanics, shaped partly by the actions of the player and the AI characters.

So the Empire factions are culturally the same, but the leader and lord personalities of each faction shall distinguish their behaviour from other Empire factions, as will their natural resources. It sounds as if some natural resources will not be plentiful for every faction, which should make things interesting, obliging factions either to be at peace with one another to trade for their resources or go to war with them to acquire the source.

Villages with castles can be captured and held, but those without one will only change ownership dependent on who holds the local town.

This is something I have wanted to know since Gamescom; I am pleased to learn about this.

One feature we have added is wall strength, supported for both castles and towns, which affects behaviour and gameplay during a siege.

Ok, but a little more detail would have been great- does a higher wall strength value mean the walls are physically taller, have more features (such as murder holes) or are there multiple walls? It must be one or more of these things I'm sure, since they say it affects gameplay during sieges (and the little fact that it affects castles, while being a reasonable assumption to have made before, is good to know).

Any groups of soldiers garrisoned require that the player leave a companion with them, to act as leader.

Another interesting detail, I hadn't picked up on that in the video.

Influence is held for each lady and lord as a value to represent their contribution to their faction's war effort. Vassals can maintain their influence by joining military campaigns and the more troops they provide, the more influence they gain. What this does is form a system, where being part of a faction actually comes with a measurable level of responsibility. Keep your influence positive and the leader of your faction will be pleased, raising your chance of being awarded more fiefs; let your influence slip into the negative too far and you'll risk expulsion from the faction and your fiefs being seized.

It is good to have this explained. This sounds like a good way to encourage both the AI and the player to behave in a realistic and helpful way to their faction.

As we approach the enemy lord in the demo, we can see their troop count drop. We have mentioned that one of the main improvements in Bannerlord is a much more detailed simulation. Ladies and Lords are subject to almost the same pressures as the player and of course, their troops also disband if they aren't provided with food or pay.

I think this is an answer to a question I asked. In the night before the battle, the player's party is camped near to Ecarand's, which drops by one soldier I think. Good to know these sorts of things happen to the AI.

SenorZorros said:
so... have they announced when the new blog will come? we have already been waiting for two months. they said it came in a few weeks.

Is that an honest question, or are you being sarcastic? Lust said a number of times that the blog was going to be a recap of the Weekender, with just a few questions answered. This is the blog you're talking of. However...

SenorZorros said:
but... why could this not have been posted six weeks ago?

I think that is a reasonable question.

craigz said:
Sir Pwn-A-Lot said:

kekXrPq.gif

Ease up! We have no idea what their dev timeline is like and blogs are probably entirely based on internal milestones :smile:

I really really hope the developement goes better than the update of the blogs. otherwise i will get gray hair before the game comes out....

craigz said:

Thats kind of the point. It'd be better for TW to remain silent than try to hype the game without a substantive update/announcement. I don't think the community needs to be strung along with a drip feed of hype. Warband is still one of the top played games on steam, virtually every active Warband player is a guaranteed sale for Bannerlord, and I'm sure loads more former/inactive players are a sure thing as well, not to mention new players who will be attracted when they see the hype the community produces organically (for free) once they have something to sink their teeth into. Heck, just in the last month I've seen 2 threads on the steam hub of brand new players inquiring about the game, which resulted in sales. We don't need people at TW buttering us up, we need them finishing the phenomenal job I'm sure they are doing making the actual game.

General_Sherman said:
craigz said:

Thats kind of the point. It'd be better for TW to remain silent than try to hype the game without a substantive update/announcement. I don't think the community needs to be strung along with a drip feed of hype. Warband is still one of the top played games on steam, virtually every active Warband player is a guaranteed sale for Bannerlord, and I'm sure loads more former/inactive players are a sure thing as well, not to mention new players who will be attracted when they see the hype the community produces organically (for free) once they have something to sink their teeth into. Heck, just in the last month I've seen 2 threads on the steam hub of brand new players inquiring about the game, which resulted in sales. We don't need people at TW buttering us up, we need them finishing the phenomenal job I'm sure they are doing making the actual game.

I'd upvote that :wink:

Here is an interview:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/28/mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord-interview/

Noteworthy:

RPS: And finally, how close are you to release, will you consider Early Access, and have you been building foundations for the future as well as for this one game?
Yavuz: We’re still not too close to release unfortunately. We are considering Early Access, or perhaps an open beta of some sort. We definitely want to involve players at some point so they can dig in and help with final touches and game balance.
And, yes, the big challenge was to make a platform for the future with this game. That’s one reason that it took so long. At the beginning, some of the choices that we made – technological and design – were suboptimal. They became limiting factors when we wanted to add more things, which led to having to do things two or three times. We’ve improved in that regard.

DanAngleland said:
SenorZorros said:
so... have they announced when the new blog will come? we have already been waiting for two months. they said it came in a few weeks.

Is that an honest question, or are you being sarcastic? Lust said a number of times that the blog was going to be a recap of the Weekender, with just a few questions answered. This is the blog you're talking of. However...
me being sarcastic.
DanAngleland said:
SenorZorros said:
but... why could this not have been posted six weeks ago?

I think that is a reasonable question.
primary reason for me being sarcastic.

creuzet said:
Here is an interview:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/28/mount-and-blade-2-bannerlord-interview/

Noteworthy:

RPS: And finally, how close are you to release, will you consider Early Access, and have you been building foundations for the future as well as for this one game?
Yavuz: We’re still not too close to release unfortunately. We are considering Early Access, or perhaps an open beta of some sort. We definitely want to involve players at some point so they can dig in and help with final touches and game balance.
And, yes, the big challenge was to make a platform for the future with this game. That’s one reason that it took so long. At the beginning, some of the choices that we made – technological and design – were suboptimal. They became limiting factors when we wanted to add more things, which led to having to do things two or three times. We’ve improved in that regard.

Urgh, not good to hear that. so a relaease at the end of the year seems very unlikely. could be more an alpha.

Back
Top Bottom