How to setup Git Extensions?

Users who are viewing this thread

usnavy30

Grandmaster Knight
Hello Vornne and everyone. I am delving into editing the PW source code and I need some assistance to get the setup complete. I have to say I am not familiar with Git or using GitHub extensively. Context: I have made item codes for Persistent Empires in the past but have not used the PW source itself yet.

To start off, I read this thread: [Guide] Installing and setting up Git

I figured Git is necessary to begin using the source code to compile. Edit: I have the source and compiled build_module successfully.
a7e47f82630b3f4efcb30a4555ae38cf.png

I reviewed this thread: [Guide] Editing and building the module system

I have Python all setup for regular source codes based on Native, I can compile the MS just fine. I also use Notepad++ and figured the tweaks for reading formatted PW code is a step only after the source is set up.

So I want to know if from the non-explicitly stated assumption, that Git is mandatory to use the PW source code.

Regarding the Git Extensions installation, the Git Extensions download link on the OP is slightly outdated.

I went to this website http://gitextensions.github.io/

I clicked on Download latest version: https://github.com/gitextensions/gitextensions/releases/latest

I selected GitExtensions-2.48.05-Mono.zip to download

I extracted the zip with WinRAR

I ran the GitExtensions.exe application file
2aa6c17fc397dfcf4bc7b505a4695d31.png

Vornne said:
"After clicking Next, installation will start; if it pauses for more than a few seconds, the installation window for KDiff3 or MsysGit is probably waiting for input, behind your current window: click it in the taskbar."

Installation window is stalling on my end. I received no installing window - options for KDiff3 or MsysGit, if those are individual plugins needed please let me know. I will try to install it later. I am not familiar with GitHub or it's programs but I am following the installation guide to the letter.

So far I somehow have Git Extensions installed from a first attempt.
21df5bd7ca21558a61bcf798277ccf5c.png

I also received this window and pop ups saying plugins are not installed
9ba22e1360b7bda56a5d8b22addbd615.png

Thank you for reading and if anyone decides to help me I appreciate it, a lot.

Git and a non command line user interface for it (Git Extensions being an example, my preferred Windows UI available at the time) are by no means mandatory for developing on the PW module system, just strongly encouraged. When the PW module system was first released to the public (years ago now), I spent some time to clean up the code, write some documentation, and and explain the suggested methods of making and keeping track of code changes; then users of the module system generally proceeded to horrify me with messy and untracked code changes introducing bugs that they couldn't figure out.

If you want to download a zip file and start making random changes, there is nothing to stop you; I personally have found that some sort of source control tool (of which Git is a good and now popular example) is invaluable for examining and understanding exactly what has been changed in the past, being able to compare against a tested and known good state, enabling you to learn to program more effectively.

Regarding the outdated instructions for installing Git Extensions: it was tested to be correct over three years ago, but software moves inexorably forward, and I unfortunately don't have much spare time to update a basic step by step guide, partly because it didn't seem to be used as much as I would have liked. The Kdiff3 installer in the guide is not necessary, it was just a utility included at the time; MsysGit was necessary then, being the actual Git implementation under the hood, but apparently it has been renamed to "Git for Windows" and is probably still included in the Git Extensions installer. You should be fine just using the latest installer, or any other Git plugin for your preferred IDE (I personally have always used Git on Linux with the command line interface).

Vornne said:
Git and a non command line user interface for it (Git Extensions being an example, my preferred Windows UI available at the time) are by no means mandatory for developing on the PW module system, just strongly encouraged. When the PW module system was first released to the public (years ago now), I spent some time to clean up the code, write some documentation, and and explain the suggested methods of making and keeping track of code changes; then users of the module system generally proceeded to horrify me with messy and untracked code changes introducing bugs that they couldn't figure out.

If you want to download a zip file and start making random changes, there is nothing to stop you; I personally have found that some sort of source control tool (of which Git is a good and now popular example) is invaluable for examining and understanding exactly what has been changed in the past, being able to compare against a tested and known good state, enabling you to learn to program more effectively.

Regarding the outdated instructions for installing Git Extensions: it was tested to be correct over three years ago, but software moves inexorably forward, and I unfortunately don't have much spare time to update a basic step by step guide, partly because it didn't seem to be used as much as I would have liked. The Kdiff3 installer in the guide is not necessary, it was just a utility included at the time; MsysGit was necessary then, being the actual Git implementation under the hood, but apparently it has been renamed to "Git for Windows" and is probably still included in the Git Extensions installer. You should be fine just using the latest installer, or any other Git plugin for your preferred IDE (I personally have always used Git on Linux with the command line interface).
Thank you for the reply Vornne, I strive to always comment my code so any changes I make for an experiment will be commented on to find easily. I only wanted to make note that the initial Git Extensions link is outdated, still a very useful guide. A problem with attempting to use Git Extensions is that the installer window hangs/stalls/freezes on installation with Git Extensions already installed from a first test installation. I just wonder if I need anything else for the Git Extensions that was installed or if I can proceed to further set it up.

Back
Top Bottom