Star Wars Spin off: Rogue One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Leifr Eiríksson said:
I think they should have kept Tarkin facing away, eternally gazing out of a window, only now and then catching a glimpse of his hollowed cheek bones and high-brows in the reflection of space.
That's what I thought.

I was pretty impressed by Tarkin actually. Of course it wasn't perfect, but it's by far the best real life imitation I've ever seen, and IMO cgi-Tarkin was still one of the better actors in the whole movie.  :razz: It was maybe a little self-indulgent giving him such a relatively large part, and maybe if I had known the actor personally my view would be much different, but I enjoyed the cameo and felt it was a nice nod to a very underrated performance in a very overrated movie. I expect we'll be seeing a force-luke (spoilers: luke dies lol) hanging with force-obi-wan and force-yoda in the next/next-next movie, and I'm guessing hoping revivified Alec Guinness has some quality screentime showing off our best imitations of human expression, although Ewan McGregor could probably act the part beyond well. Anyways, what's the big deal with the CGI people anyway? Maybe they're 1/64th alien, nobody seems to complain about how the new creatures were rendered.

theres a thought.  I can't think of one female that was resurrected with cgi.

I think episode IV could be remade with advanced animation.  And maybe they'll have more impressive 'death star plans'....

This may as well go here for now: http://www.starwars.com/news/han-solo-smuggler-scoundrel-hero-new-star-wars-story-begins

principal photography on the untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story officially began February 20 at Pinewood Studios, London. The movie will explore the duo’s adventures before the events of Star Wars: A New Hope...

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are directors co-piloting the movie, with a cast that includes Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, Thandie Newton, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, with Joonas Suotamo as Chewbacca.

The untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story is slated for release on May 25, 2018.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
It wasn't on the beach. It was on top of the tower. They just somehow ended up on the beach for the final scene after they flipped it.
He means the switch that
Chirrut had to walk out into the open ("I'm one with the Force and the Force is with me") to turn on just before he got blown up. And yeah, I thought that was a bit strange, too, Adorno.

Adorno said:
Nice film. Why is the 'master switch' outside on a random beach? (The thing they needed to activate to communicate the death star plans to the other rebels.)
What have I misunderstood?

they were supposed to be rescued by a rebel ship, so they could die when Vader showed up later on. That final was changed (among some other variations). They also cut some fighting scenes in the beach, etc. The final version was just to look cool: lets NOT kiss on the beach while we watch the Tsunami (not really one, just a reference to other movies lol) that will kill us.

Should maybe spoiler that bit, although I would think anyone reading the thread has already seen the movie or doesn't care.
Personally I liked that the protagonist weren't killed by Vader. They're too insignificant for that.

kalarhan said:
Adorno said:
Nice film. Why is the 'master switch' outside on a random beach? (The thing they needed to activate to communicate the death star plans to the other rebels.)
What have I misunderstood?
they were supposed to be rescued by a rebel ship, so they could die when Vader showed up later on. That final was changed (among some other variations). They also cut some fighting scenes in the beach, etc. The final version was just to look cool: lets NOT kiss on the beach while we watch the Tsunami (not really one, just a reference to other movies lol) that will kill us.
See my post above.

Lord Smegma von Bum Nugget said:
I remember it as being a switch to connect the ship the rebels had landed in to the archive building or something like that?
That's even more confusing  :smile:

Switch on beach > rebel ship > archive building > ?

What Arvenski said. What's the switch doing in the middle of a beach?

Adorno said:
That's even more confusing  :smile:

Switch on beach > rebel ship > archive building > ?

What Arvenski said. What's the switch doing in the middle of a beach?

the
pilot in the ship needed to talk to the rebel fleet above the planet. The planet had the shield up, so any communication had to be done via Imperial channels. The rebel ship was a Imperial stolen ship and the pilot had enough know-how for the hacking, he just needed a physical (cable) connection with their system (to use the ship radio). That is why he ran outside and plugged it in. Now he had a direct connection: rebel ship -> planet system -> shield station -> space. He was able to talk to the Admiral, so the fleet would focus on attacking the planetary shield. Then he died, because...

back on the planet the big array used to transfer big data (the Death Star plans) couldn't transmit because of the shield, and also because it was out of position. So they had to reposition it, and to do that they need to flip that switch back in the base of the tower. That was the job for the jedi-not-a-jedi-blind-not-blind dude. You could try to explain that as a security thingy (keep the switch far from the controls, so one guy couldn't use it alone), but really it was just to create a cool death scene for the blind dude and his boyfriend-not-a-boyfriend. The array itself is probably powerful enough to transmit data between systems (using relay stations), so it was connected to the Internet-not-Internet.

So they did that crazy thingy by pushing a ship against the other and destroyed the shield. Array could now transmit the plans. All the hero-gal had to do was connected the pendrive (disk) and hit ENTER. Add some drama because, and that was done.

After that their job was done and they went to the beach to see if they could escape. They didn't know about the Death Star yet, which destroyed the tower moments later and started the chain reaction that would kill them in the beach.

And they did not kiss, even tho that was heavily implied for some reason, and died happy.

the end

You know, the first time I heard the soundtrack to this movie -it was before I saw the film, actually-, I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed. I remember thinking "Michael Giacchino's good, but he's no John Williams." Now, though, having seen the film and listened to the music more... I'm coming to love it.

Back
Top Bottom