[SUBMOD] Tweaking PoP 3.7 (UPD #45, 2016-12-17, 04:34 PM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
thermocline said:
Does anyone know if the tweak that lets a militia patrol drop off prisoners at a nearby fief works or not in 3.8? How about the tweak that lets a castle steward send units to another fief?
@thermocline: @Leonion stated that most tweaks are not compatible with 3.8 currently, so adding them individually is not advised in general. And according to the 3.8 changelog, neither tweak is in (#36 and #15 respectively). Currently these are the ones that made it in: (1, 3.1, 3.2, 4, 5, 11, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 33, 35, 38, 40, 42, 43, 44). Tweak #1: 'smarter militia patrols' was not added by mistake (luckily it is compatible with 3.8 as is) and tweak #28 (fief exchange, was cancelled due to bugs) will be readded in the next release as far as I know.

A while ago, I suggested #15 and #36 to add among some other tweaks, but I didn't take into account the problems with these two back then:
1) The problem with militia patrols dropping off prisoners into the closest walled fief is that the player can abuse it to get free prisoners to sell for hefty sums. And the developers don't want to make PoP any easier with some free money.
2) If you would like to send troops to a walled fief with tweak #15, then you mustn't send 0 soldiers or talk to the party in question by mistake. Otherwise you'll get quite annoying error messages. And the fixing is not the most comfortable upon each misclick:
Well, you are not the first one who misclicked that dialogue option, sent 0 troops, attacked the party and ended up getting error messages.
To fix this, do the following:
1) In simple_triggers, find the trigger that starts with 1.000000 20.
2) Increase 20 by 1.
3) Insert 2133 2 144115188075857214 0 right after 21 (followed by a gap).
4) Start the game.
5) Wait till the "send troops" dialogue option is working again and error messages have stopped popping up.
6) Close the game.
7) Reverse the changes that you did to the trigger.
8 ) Keep playing as usual.

So I guess these are the reasons why they were not added officially...

Leonion said:
AFAIR, a polished bugless source code for tweak #15 that I use in Perisno was sent to the devs long ago.
Oh, that's good to know, thanks! In that case, I hope the tweak in question will be reconsidered to add, since it's a 'quality of life' one :smile:

Gorvex said:
1) The problem with militia patrols dropping off prisoners into the closest walled fief is that the player can abuse it to get free prisoners to sell for hefty sums. And the developers don't want to make PoP any easier with some free money.

Is that really all that bad? Can't the player also abuse the feasts option to get hundreds of prisoners at a time? (maybe that's just me). And we're only talking 2 patrols on average per walled fief. Not to mention their prisoners aren't high tier (usually).

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like abuse to me...

Though the devs could balance it by making slave trading "dishonorable" where you lose honor each time you sell prisoners (maybe). I'm just spitballing and seeing what sticks  :neutral:

KarlXII said:
Gorvex said:

Is that really all that bad? Can't the player also abuse the feasts option to get hundreds of prisoners at a time? (maybe that's just me). And we're only talking 2 patrols on average per walled fief. Not to mention their prisoners aren't high tier (usually).

I dunno, it just doesn't seem like abuse to me...

Though the devs could balance it by making slave trading "dishonorable" where you lose honor each time you sell prisoners (maybe). I'm just spitballing and seeing what sticks  :neutral:
Of course it can be an abuse, but not in the normal way of using patrols, no. The problem comes when the player gives his militia patrols some troops that he doesn't need, or train a bunch of units that do very well in autocalc, like Legionnaires or Gladiators. You don't have to pay the wages of your militia patrols, yet you can buff them as much as you want. Own a castle and it's village in the Noldor forest area, do this to one (or two) of your own militia patrols, and you can get a serious prisoner-gathering army. And you don't have to do anything further, just come back occasionally, and collect those juicy prisoners to sell. Or just gather some free renown, honor and relations for releasing them. Noldor patrols just love to engage, even if they can't win in autocalc. Couple that with a 300+ men patrol, and a lot of fighting (with a lot of prisoners) will happen. Also, those militia patrols can replenish their numbers by recruiting the prisoners that the Noldor had. Just like the player can maintain 6-7 Noldor patrol-hunting this way, with the difference that the player's intervention is not needed, and he doesn't have to pay the wages either...

Sure, you can also get a lot of free prisoners from hosting feasts, but the difference is that it's part of the game already, while the militia patrols dropping off their prisoners would need to be added. By changing everything that follows the same "logic" would increase the amount of possible abuse and make PoP easier as a result for nothing. A snowball effect to be exact.
Madman666 said:
I guess the main problem would be that you can farm prisoners with those patrols, stuffing them with troops, which don't require any more money and letting loose say on noldor border, to hunt for noldors and then bring them to your fief for profits, relations and honor (noldor nobles). And since patrols are AI controlled and won't get the new x2 penalty for autocalcing noldors, it can become second best way of getting noldor prisoners... But well, it still requires a lot of trained, decent troops to stuff in a patrol and those patrols take out noldors anyway if you provide sufficient force.
@Madman also explains it pretty well why it's a bad idea. Just follow the discussion on page 211 started by davvynn if you'd like. As you can see, at the beginning, I suggested to add this tweak as well. But I changed my mind and left it to the developers to decide. Generally, I just love the tweaks @Leonion made. They are so awesome and add a lot of improvements! But I try to see things from the devs perspective as well, and sort out tweaks that would make life easier in PoP without having to do anything in return.

Of course, if the case up ahead could be countered (like making prisoner-selling a dishonorable act as you suggested) or prevented in any way, I would be very pleased to have that prisoner-dropping tweak for militia patrols officially :party:. So don't get me wrong. I know that it can be annoying when there are patrols of 1-3 men roaming with 100+ prisoners, waiting to get their prisoners recruited by someone else :???:

KarlXII said:
Ah, I had forgotten about giving patrols troops... oh well.
Maybe the key is to limit patrol sizes, I dunno. But yeah that makes sense.

That could be it.

One other possibility => Is it possible to restrict a party to a certain troop type?
You could make it so that patrols only accept mercenary flagged units for example.

Just my 2 cents  :roll:

Another idea: just disallow giving troops to patrols. You could replace it by having a reinforcement function through the fief in question (that works in tandem with the prisoner drop off trigger). That way they can only get militia troops and are limited in size.

Leave Britney patrols alone!
They might be OP, but it has always been so much fun creating doom patrols consisting of up to 3k soldiers that were capable of scaring even entire marshal forces.  :smile:

All the more reason to limit patrols then, eh?  :razz:

But on a serious note, would you be willing to make a tweak for that when you get around to it? (that is assuming you make new tweaks for 3.8 ) because I would be interested.

Leonion said:
Leave Britney patrols alone!
They might be OP, but it has always been so much fun creating doom patrols consisting of up to 3k soldiers that were capable of scaring even entire marshal forces.  :smile:

Put me in the "leave patrols alone camp." Why do people insist on having every fun trick nerfed out of single-player games? Who cares if someone uses it in their personal game?

I've got it working once, but I had to reinstall the mod, deleted everything an now I can't get it to work. Can someone help me?
Conversation.txt
mega.nz/#!UvZixDbQ
dialog_states.txt
mega.nz/#!szZXVRSA

Edit 01:
Couldn't use links since the account is new, just copy and paste.

thermocline said:
Put me in the "leave patrols alone camp." Why do people insist on having every fun trick nerfed out of single-player games? Who cares if someone uses it in their personal game?

Well, I never used patrols that way and don't plan to, so I don't see the appeal. I only really wanted the patrols to drop off prisoners and that was my suggestion to limit abuse by, what appears to be, most players I guess.  :???:

sorry I am very new, I just installed M & B via steam and I downloaded the 3.7063 tweaked file in the OP. does this mod install like every other mod? can I get some quick directions on how to install this mod? thanks! Can't wait!!!

busa said:
sorry I am very new, I just installed M & B via steam and I downloaded the 3.7063 tweaked file in the OP. does this mod install like every other mod? can I get some quick directions on how to install this mod? thanks! Can't wait!!!
You don't install it.
The tweaks are from an old version.

busa said:

Download mod from moddb and uzip it in modules directory.

(You need to download the actual mod and not a patch, you can easily find out which one it is, actual mod is very large above 500mb, patches rarely exceed about 200mb.

Module directory can be found either Program Files (x86)/Mount & Blade Warband/Modules
or in steam/steamapps/common/Mount & Blade Warband/Modules)

You need to put Prophesy of Pendor 3.8 directory just right beside Native one, not in it so that you will have both of it under Modules directory.

Then start the launcher and choose PoP instead of Native in the launcher's dropdown list.

P.S.: Leonion, come on man, this nice guy needs help :grin:

davvynn, don't confuse busa.

busa, you can install official 3.8.4 mod (which you install like every other mod) but you cannot install the tweaks from this thread, they will screw everything up because they're from an older version - 3.7063, which I do not recommend playing because the current one is unarguably much better.

Leonion said:
davvynn, don't confuse busa.

Leonion, what is this thing about you?!  :roll: :grin: you've got very aggressive and defensive personality and by the way that's quite all right, but here?  :???:

No problem here, I was just trying to be helpful, looks like it didn't work out as intended.

Cheers and love you leonion, brother.

I'm not aggressive.
I just don't want busa to screw his files.
He said
does this mod install like every other mod?
So I assume(d) he knows how to install mods, therefore my only response was that he shouldn't install my tweaked files because they're old, without any further comments.

Hi all first thanks Leonius for the awesome tweaks can't wait for new pop to be released with more tweaks included ... I wanted to ask if there's a way to make it so for example when I capture ethos and make my quartermaster recruit I get all Penske troops no quarter empire thing just pure kingdom culture recruits ? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom