Adventures in Editing -- New Troop Units

Users who are viewing this thread

Heres a look at what Ive been working on. :wink:

eT4BygI.jpg

Cheers, The_Prussian_Musket

Flintlock longbow said:
I've been working on adding famous hussar regiments to the game. I was creating a 5e hussard and I used the Hungarian hussar coat and boots (which are from the Austrian army) and the french hussar shako. I need to make the pelisse (the outer coat) to be white but it's currently blue. Can anyone help me and how do I change it's colour? Thanks
Edit texture

Is it possible to get those Milicen Francois as a download or do I need to change that manually? And is it possible to get the Scots Grey as a download as well? They look very dashing with their coats!

Thanks in advance! :smile:

This may be bringing back an old thread, but after being bored recently I finally got around to adding the coat and creating the Böhmischen Landwehr! :smile:

kOVWOgc.jpg

The_Prussian_Musket said:
Got around to create the Regiment d'Infanterie Suiss for France. :smile:
MI260mj.jpg

Action Shots:
11323F21A7D0A2F69F4F3D86B1926084C0468ACF
9BAAC3D2114FB93676EFFCE3B264EA22021BE9B5
2884631BD47336D6B1255E1A328F61A2E03BFD85
4C5D0BE27FDBC34F094ACEA7996D5CC04B2503FE
Looks nice! You should lower the saturation of the red though. It looks too bright.

I recently added about 7 different Custom Brunswick troops to prussia. Im thinking of releasing the mod. it adds 3 different line infantry, a hussar troop, a lancer troop, rifleman, and jager troop. The textures are pretty well done and the BRFs are too

I don't suppose anybody is about to explain some of this to me? I'd love to add some Armee de Émigrés, KGL and the likes.

Maybe even an Irish unit. :smile:

I just know literally nothing and have little idea of where to start.

OMG! What a question!
Are you, perhaps, seeking the answer to "life, the universe, and everything?"
[Hint - It's "42" or perhaps "37" depending ...]
Or, do you have a SPECIFIC question in mind?
I can't believe anyone who has read ALL the previous posts in this Forum Topic is still so in the dark about modding this game/mod, or who has seen what other modders have done, and shared with us.
[Bluehawk, Hueybedoo, and numerous others, take a bow].

Well, suffice it to say, you might need several "third-party" programs (such as EditBRF, Morgh's Editor, and others), as well as a good "Paint" (graphics manipulation program, such as "Paint.net") program in order to do the kinds of things you see on this Forum that are made available to you by others.
We can try to help, but YOU have to identify your interests, ... and your commitment.

Want to just change the colors of Prussian line infantry uniforms (blue) to green (Jaegers)?  Fairly simple.
Want to give all your Neapolitan troops Baker rifles? (also fairly simple).
Want to create new troop types (Neapolitan "Africa" Regiment) with new equipment, new faces (obviously), and an "upgrade path" for them?  Not so easy ...

It can be done, either with the preferred "module system" tool (using Python) or with individual edits to .txt and other files (both systems have been used by modders).

In short, clarify what you seek, unless you want to end up with "Use the Search Engine, Dummy!" type responses.
[Actually, not a bad idea, really ...]
:grin:

DARoot

I'll have to study the thread somewhat copiously then!

What I'd like to do is add an Armee de Émigrés upgrade tree from the Recrue Francais. Uniform wise, I can use a little bit of shoddy uniform manipulation to change Italian or Dutch uniforms to the French Royalist Uniforms.

I've read the first couple of pages, in a somewhat skimmed manner.

Curiously, does adding another upgrade path mean the AI will use it? It'd be weird to see Napoleon Bonaparte scrambling about with the fellas who tried to topple his Empire in favour of the Bourbon Kings! :grin:

Eh bien, I see now.
You want to jump right in, and create Royalist forces as an upgrade for the Recrue Francais?
Yes, it can be done, but it ain't no "1-click process."
You got to make (or modify) existing uniforms and equipment (in the "item_kinds1" file), apply them to your new troops (in the "troops.txt" file), then deploy them in-game (with upgrade paths) and possibly assign them to "Parties" (the groups that other opposing Lords have wandering around the map).
Do study the other posts in this (and other) Forum threads for more in-depth information [and, possibly make notes - you'll need them.  "Skimming" will only reinforce your observation that this stuff is complicated ...].

Who knows what the AI does, or why? That's a question for better experts than I.
But, Yes, you can alter upgrade paths, and make the AI use your new units [cf: "Parties" above -- another .txt file].

If you like, we can take this discussion further in PMs, so as not to take up further Open Forum space.
I am more than happy to try to encourage new modders (but if you have read any of my previous Forum Posts, you know that I tend to "wordy-ness")
And I will describe, in excruciating detail, what I might do, to obtain the result you are seeking. [But, that is only A method, not necessarily the Best or Most Efficient method].
Your call.

Two programs I rely on are "Morgh's Editor" (for the various .txt files) and "OpenBRF" (for incorporating new graphics, and other things). As well as "Paint.net" (a graphics-manipulation program).
All are "free" downloads, and the first two have their own Threads on this Forum.
Read their READMEs, and you will be on your way.
We can help you apply what they do to "L'Aigle."
-- Just remember - whatever changes you make to your own game will be lost whenever DOCM30 (or whatever he calls himself now - I can't keep up) releases a new upgrade/revision to his "L'Aigle" mod.
Anyway, modding is part of the fun, N'est-ce Pas?

[Tell you a story -- A few years ago, a few "wannabe-modders" for this game got together in PMs.  We kinda got tired of some of the "holier-than-thou" responses we were getting on the Open Forum to some of our questions. [It's better now].
You know the drill -- you want to do one (seemingly) simple thing, (such as, I dunno, maybe give your Prussian Dragoons a light blue litewka jacket?), preferably today, so you ask how, and get a lot of "Learn to use xxx, yyy, or zzz programs" responses,
or my particular favorite, "Well, if we answer your question A, you'll just come up with another question B, and we'll never be rid of you. Learn modding from the ground up, then you'll already know the answers."
So, we started working in PMs trying different things and exchanging information.  It was a great experience. Very free and open, nobody calling you stupid, swearwords in posts were OK, etc. [And, both the others were experienced modders for other sub-mods for M&B:W besides "L'Aigle" and I was the guy that didn't know nothin']

But now, I sorta understand what those other guys were trying to say.  In order to mod, you really DO need to understand the underlying file structures, and how they all work together.  And that takes time.
Then, you have to understand the Tools that 3rd-parties have to offer, to make manipulating those files easier, or understand the Taleworlds "Mod Development" kit (downladable elsewhere on these Forums) and how it does what it does, and how you can make it work for you.

You are about to embark on a great "Voyage of Discovery," should you choose to do so.
I'll leave you with that thought, for now.

DARoot

Back
Top Bottom