Adventures in Editing -- New Troop Units

Users who are viewing this thread

"..I wonder if you could copy and paste the texture you want to change, change the copy to your liking, then point the texture to a copied version of the mesh of choice (but make the copied mesh a seperate item altogether)..."

Yowza.  But then, the question becomes, how to get the game engine to recognize the new (copied, renamed) mesh, as well as the original, unchanged one.
I'd like to know, myself.

There's a few listed in (of all things) the "meshes.txt" file, but no uniform items. 
And I have no clue where the actual, physical meshes are located, or what their properties are.
[Morgh's Editor has what looks like a "mesh picklist" arrow, but it doesn't result in a list of available meshes.  Usually, its just what the original mesh was.  Check out the "rifle_hunting" and "rifle_hunting_melee" Items (#706 and 707) to see what I mean.  In order to make the "fire-able" version and the "carried on back" version similar, you have to type in the EXACT mesh name in the one you wish to change.]

I suspect we're getting into Python/Module Development Kit territory.
But, if David_Dire knows, how's about expounding for us a tad, and sharing your knowledge?
You've got at least two eager listeners here ...
:smile:

DARoot

Reading all these comments, it seems you lads don't know about OpenBRF. That's the main tool you need for retexturing and modelling.

And the "mesh picklist" arrow in Morgh's is, if its what I'm thinking about, different parts of a model (I.E the scabbard of a sword).

Cool, thanks for the info! :smile:

I still hope, though, that David Dire (or basically anyone) could tell us the info they know on how to do this in OpenBRF.
"..I wonder if you could copy and paste the texture you want to change, change the copy to your liking, then point the texture to a copied version of the mesh of choice (but make the copied mesh a seperate item altogether)..."
(No pressure)  :fruity:

Yes, Many Many THANKS! to David_Dire and SenpaiHinds for sharing this information (and about the "picklists" in Morgh's)!
:grin: :party:
Better yet, now everybody else following this thread knows about it too!

Well, The_Prussian_Musket, we can now look forward to more "Adventures in Editing" as we learn to use this new tool.

[No documentation, of course, but it DOES have its own thread here, which David_Dire kindly pointed us to, so we'll eventually "get it."]
:roll:
Hey, The_Prussian_Musket, I already tried it this morning.  Right-clicking on a mesh allows us to export it as an .obj file.  Then re-name that, and Import it as a new object/mesh.  Then associate new textures with it.  I had to make changes to 3 different .brf files, using the ones in weiner_shnitzel's  recent Brunswick Uhlan mini-mod, as well as "napo_textures.brf" from "L'Aigle."  Haven't tested it in-game yet, though.  But now, you can maybe "improve" your Scots Greys coat that you don't like.  Thinking about their 1811 heavy cavalry tunic, perhaps?

Happy Gaming!

DARoot

You could, for example, recolour the Tricorne by copy+pasting the textures, recolouring them, renaming the textures, taking the material file in openBRF, copy pasting it and renaming it, renaming the textures it uses to that of what you recoloured, and then copy+pasting the Tricorne and making the "material" whatever you renamed the copied material too.

I can't thank you guys enough! :grin:

With this info I plan to make the regiments of: the National Guard, the Swiss Foot, and The Archduke Charles Legion (and remake the Scots Greys tunic)

Dont steal the ideas :shifty:

"The UI explains bassicly everything"

You are no longer qualified as a Senpai, you insulted me deeply. I didnt manage to do jack sh*t with it without any help.  :oops:

Edit: You can edit textures with..paint? Realy..? Why didnt anyone tell me this?
Goodness me, I might actully be able to revive the **** I made 4 years ago.

Followers of this thread might benefit substantially by looking at the discussion on this one --
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348986.0.html
and, on this one --
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,204025.0.html

@MrMundy -- "Paint.net" [not "Windows Paint"] seems to be able to open and edit anything -- including .dds files that OpenBRF can't.  And, it's free.
:grin:
DARoot

Windows Paint is better for basic edits.

Paint.net is better for something like this. I personally use Paint.net for most of my graphical editing and digital art, L'Aigle being a good example.

You can't. Ideally you'd want something like photohop or a more paint-oriented tool, and super-ideally you'd want a sculpting tool to make the normalmaps look better (look at how simple the diffuse textures are for l'aigle). Paint.net is best for quickly saving in different formats but not for actually creating stuff.

Another quick Noobie question, for the OpenBRF gurus --
[Actually, two - but, one only needs a "Yes/No" answer, and the other a one-word "fill in the blank" answer]

In order to copy an existing uniform mesh (like a coat, or breeches), re-name it, and re-import it and assign new textures/materials to it, thereby preserving the original mesh/materials/texture(s)
[And then assign the new mesh to a new Item in "Item_kinds1.txt"] --

- Should we export it as a Static mesh, or Rigged, or Vertex-Animated?
[I figure hats, shakos, and helmets can be "static," but clothing is supposed to "move" with the figure of the bot wearing it - what in a different game is termed being "physiqued" - so, .. ???]

- Many meshes have subordinate "LODs" associated.  Are these important?  Should we highlight and export all of them along with the "main" mesh, either individually or by merging as a "Combined" mesh?
[Same goes for subordinate "meshname.2" things and their subordinate lods (these are apparently the  belting, backpacks, horse saddles, and such), or keep them separate?]

Thanks

DARoot
[@MrMundy -- Try using the "gamma-correct" or "brightness/contrast" tool to lighten or darken the texture.  And if somebody responds to this question, we'll both have the answer to your second].

@DARoot, if you can, can you share us the info you found when searching through the OpenBRF tutorials? I am very interested to hear what you find since it may help me with my endeavors aswell...  :smile:

@ The_Prussian_Musket --
Be happy to, as soon as I figure out how to do it, myself.

@SenpaiHinds --
"..There are dozens of tutorials for this stuff, it looks like you're just going ahead with it without following specific instructions.."
From your link --
5. Importing in OpenBRF
1. Are you happy with your new model? Let's export it. Go to File > Export > click little box after Wavefront (.obj). Make sure the settings are same as below in the screenshot.

One group per material: ticked
Triangulation: ticked
Import Scale: 10.0
Export Scale: 0.1
Export normals/smoothing groups: usually ticked, but you can untick this (quicker export)
Export UV coordinates: ticked

(click to show/hide)

You can untick Export normals/smoothing groups, because OpenBRF will do the work for us. For an explanation what they do see below:

Normals
We won't deal with this, you should skip this, because you don't need
to use it. But if you want to know it; normal maps are something which create a 3D view
of a flat surface. Look at the following images. The first one shows us an actual model
with many polygons, the second is a normal map. The third is a flat surface
rendered with normal map on. This creates a nice 3D view for free.
Now forget this and move on.

(click to show/hide)

Smoothing
They mean the use of soft/hard edges. You can manually make
edges soft or hard. The difference is clearly visible at these images:

Soft:

(click to show/hide)

Hard:

(click to show/hide)

2. Now export and replace the existing "dblhead_ax.obj" file. Rename it to doubleaxe.

3. Save your model again, but now as a .wings file. I bet you know how to do that. You use of course CTR+SHIFT+S.
Note: Give everything the same name. Photoshop file, .dds, .wings3d, .obj, texture, material. That's easier.

4. Time to open OpenBRF. Import the file with Import > Static Mesh. Time to explain something about OpenBRF. You can consider it a library of meshes, materials, textures and collision meshes.

Meshes - The actual models
Materials - Especially useful to assign shaders.
Textures -
Collision Meshes - Models consisting of solid faces which prevent you from walking through ingame.

(click to show/hide)

5. We have now imported the mesh (object/model). Let's import the material & texture. We create these by clicking Import > New Material > tick "Also add new texture..." > rename "new_material" to "doubleaxe" > Ok.
If everything went well you should be able to see your model with texture applied to.

We have now 3 tabs. Mes1, Mat1 and Tex1. Mes1 stands for: Meshes (1x).
Go to tab Mat1 (materials) and change shader to "tex_mul_color" as visible below:

(click to show/hide)

6. Let's do some magic. This is very useful information, listen carefully; click the mesh while being in Mes1 tab: RMB > Recompute Normals > Ok. OpenBRF now automatically calculates the hardness of your model See chapter 4.17 - Smoothing of this tutorial.

Now pick "Color with Ambient Occlusion". OpenBRF will now create some basic shadows.

Do you see the tab Make a collision mesh. Don't click it, it's only needed for scene props (scene models; buildings, carts). Again a collision mesh prevents you from walking through the model. If a surface of this mesh is less than 90 degrees you will be able to climb ingame (handy for stair models).

(click to show/hide)

Time to learn you something important: polygons. Polygons = faces.
Select your mesh while being in the Mes1 tab. You will be able to view the amount of polygons. This should absolutely not be very high. Otherwise it demands too much from your computer. Here's a list providing averages for each type model:

Quote from: Average amount of polygons per type model

Normal helmet : 500
Full faced helmet : 800/1000

A body armor : 1000

A sword : 250
Special/Detailed sword : 400
Small axe : 300
Two handed axe : 400
Two bladed axe : 500
Lance :  150/250
Spear : 200/300

Shield : 400/500

Bow : 100/200
Crossbow : 300/400

Scene prop : 500-2000

You see we are far below the average amount of polygons, very good!
It's of course possible to make exemptions. Take for example my model of the St. Peter Basilica which is about 350,000 polygons. I have a lot performance problems with it, so try to avoid such models.

7. Save your .brf file in ...Warband\Modules\MyMod\Resource\, do this by clicking File > Save as.

Yeah, REAL helpful for the Noobie ...

Any wonder some of us just ".. go ahead .." sometimes, and look for SPECIFIC guidance on the Forum, occasionally??
[And, don't think anybody here has stated they actually TRIED (and no doubt failed) to import/export meshes yet.
Might be a good idea to think about your audience, and what they might like to hear from you, before seemingly being condescending them publicly ...]

Just sayin' ...

But, if YOU'VE got any ".. specific instructions .." that we might be able to understand and use, by all means, please share!

DARoot
[Let's get real, Eh?]

Hemiola said:
Might be a good idea to think about your audience, and what they might like to hear from you, before seemingly being condescending them publicly

I'm not being condescending. If I just handhold you through it you'll just keep having to ask really specific questions because you won't understand the process. I haven't even been modding for that long but I see the same pattern of people relying on specific advice from other forumites and then giving up when they try anything outside that advice. I'm just trying to help you avoid that and save both of our time.

This tutorial is good, but I still suggest you read through Quintillius's tutorial that you posted. The more you know about the processes behind the modding, the easier things become.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,344135.0.html

Updated Milicien Francais

qTSMbFB.jpg

Items: #704 Musket IX/XIII, #158 Cartridges, #813 French Fusilier Coat, #920 French Breeches, and #757 Civilian Bicorne.

I decided to update the Milicien to more of my liking, this is its result. :smile:

Cheers, The_Prussian_Musket

Back
Top Bottom