Modding VC: basic tutorials and Q&A thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Dodgy said:
here is the incriminated code from the 2.023 source module

this dialog should not be there without a condition in the first place, so devs will probably move this feature to a event-chain.

You yourself reported a bug. Having only two companions the game complained about you having more than 10  :mrgreen:

Remove it (disable it), then keep a eye for next patch source.

The other point on this is that affects temporary retirement of a companion. You already removed complains/etc from them, so this should not be used on your tweaked version. Companions can't get mad on you to the point they decide to leave.

TLDR: remove it

Hello,

First of all, I am no coder and a total beginner to modding, so what I am about to ask is probably a stupid/easy question.

I was wondering, is it possible, and if so how, to create new dialogue "status points", I wouldn't even know how to call them, I refer to things like "lord_talk" and "lord_pretalk".

If I simply add one in the dialogue module, it won't work, the game won't recognize it as existing, so I would like to understand how to create a complex dialogue tree that will allow me to do something like "check for this, if conditions are X go to "talked to char a" if conditions are Y "talked to char b" and if the conditions are Z go to "talked to char c", or to make completely sure without having to go around it with lots of conditions and extra copies of the same dialogues that it will apply only to specific characters/situations.

So far I have only been able to create/modify dialogues using the existing "status points" of the game, but I could have made my current mod much better and added extra layers of complexity to some of the stuff if I could create as many of these "status points" as needed.

Thanks for the answer kalarhan.

I did read that tutorial, however the examples provided refer to a single npc starting the conversation.

What I need is something that applies to a whole category, like all the lords, so new dialogue applying to all of them and leading to a specific branch of the dialogue tree.
The problem is that I can't manage to create new branch just from the dialogue module, I have the feeling they need to be created somewhere else as well, but I can't manage to understand where.
I'll try to post on the other section of the forum as well, thanks again.

Dodgy said:
I'll try to post on the other section of the forum as well, thanks again.

Np. What you need is to use the condition part of the dialog, and you also have the repeat function if you are creating options for you (the player)

Code:
   [anyone|plyr|repeat_for_troops,"award_fief_to_vassal",
   [  
     (store_repeat_object, ":troop_no"),
     (troop_slot_eq, ":troop_no", slot_troop_occupation, slto_kingdom_hero),
     (neq, "trp_player", ":troop_no"),

AFAIK troops in special formations get bonuses/boosts of some kind. Do we know where they're located in the MS? Had a look through but no luck.

kraggrim said:
AFAIK troops in special formations get bonuses/boosts

are you refering to MP or SP? MP has bonus for shield-wall (if players keep the formation near each other), which was never implemented for SP (bots).

There is one trigger for extra damage on SP, I don't recall other bonuses besides the formation itself that tries to put the best troops/weapons on first row

Code:
  #kludge formation superiority
  (ti_on_agent_hit, 0, 0, [

That formation superiority must be the one, cheers man. I'd assumed that a formation bonus would be defensive (maybe artifically increasing shield-coverage?) rather than offensive.

kraggrim said:
That formation superiority must be the one, cheers man. I'd assumed that a formation bonus would be defensive (maybe artifically increasing shield-coverage?) rather than offensive.

well...
A kludge (or kluge) (/klʌdʒ/, /kluːʒ/, /kluːdʒ/) is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain. This term is used in diverse fields such as computer science, aerospace engineering, internet slang, evolutionary neuroscience, and government.

:mrgreen:

you may remember that on close/open beta for RE there was discussion on a bonus for shield-wall (SP, formation). Guess you are thinking on code for something similar? Remember that VC has new code for tracking agents that doesn't require looping agents, otherwise you will just lag in big battles. Use the new operations/scripts/agent slots implemented for formations as a example.

kraggrim said:
Edit: keep in mind that enabling ranks to archers makes no sense. The formation is used to put "best" melee troops in the front row, and you are using archers... so that won't really work unless you create new rules/code to decide which archers should be considered "best" ....
I'm presuming he has a bunch of the Norse veteran archers, and would like to put them in front if the enemy manages to get close to them. Only reason I can think you'd want this.

So how about using the crouch code VC has re-instated? Would setting the first row to crouch then enable the rear row to fire?

produno said:
So how about using the crouch code VC has re-instated? Would setting the first row to crouch then enable the rear row to fire?

Never tried  :smile:, this doesn't make much sense until the gun age, how would you fire with those huge bows and crouch at the same time?

medieval-bow.jpg

Too bad we don't have the ability to fire as a group (in a curve), but that is not how VC century worked (as far as the game is concerned).

Or you can use that with crossbows, as the ones in VC are quite small.

I don't use archers enough to bother, but maybe implementing some sort of staggered formation for them would work.

Thisn thread made me think, would it be possible to have lords take troop-quarters into account like other enemy parties? Could be interesting to use them guarding bridges/choke-points against little pest lord parties, or something like that.

kraggrim said:
Thisn thread made me think, would it be possible to have lords take troop-quarters into account like other enemy parties? Could be interesting to use them guarding bridges/choke-points against little pest lord parties, or something like that.

quarter is a static party (like a town), so the AI by default is not scared of it (not part of the area scan), unless they have it as a target for siege/raid.

so you need to add them as a new rule on the AI code, or maybe even rewrite the troop camp as a dynamic party (like a bandit group/lord army) with speed zero  :mrgreen:

AI code in native/all mods/DLC is kind of a mess. Last time I decided to mess with it (when coding my latest mod) I just gave up and rewrote the entire thingy  :lol:, good luck tho

kalarhan said:
Never tried  :smile:, this doesn't make much sense until the gun age, how would you fire with those huge bows and crouch at the same time?

But you can hunt with a bow while crouching? :smile:

78938bf96a9aa31a7e7eeefe1870434e.jpg

or

archer_crouching_by_syccas_stock.jpg

Not entirely sure how relevant it is to the period but i would expect picts to be doing this sort of thing?

produno said:
Not entirely sure how relevant it is to the period but i would expect picts to be doing this sort of thing?

notice two things:

1) Archer is using a recursive bow, which is smaller

or

2) Archer is holding the bow in such a way (angle) that would take a lot of space. So you would not be able to have the first line + second line firing, unless you did something like

1    1          1        1        1        1
2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2  2

Then again that is just my opinion/persception of the time period. Nothing more. You can mod it any way you want  :smile:, I just commented that I never tried because to me makes no sense (so I would not add it to my personal mods)

I read rules but im still not sure about rules so im gonna ask to be sure ok? :smile:
" License
Usage of the source material falls under the following conditions:
1. Credit Viking Conquest when Viking Conquest Mod Source is used for non-Viking Conquest mods.
2. Only Viking Conquest Mod Source may be used in non-Viking Conquest mods. Do not use Viking Conquest binary files such as textures, models, animations, sounds, music, and scenes. "

Can i use PostFX.txt and PostFX.fx in a native/pw mod pack im making if i give credits? im not sure if postfx fall under Viking Conquest Mod Source?

wiener_snitzel said:
Can i use PostFX.txt and PostFX.fx in a native/pw mod pack im making if i give credits? im not sure if postfx fall under Viking Conquest Mod Source?

Lets wait for a dev official word (From BWStudios). I sent a PM to them with your question.

As it is not part of the download the answer, right now, is no.

see BWStudios reply below

kalarhan said:
wiener_snitzel said:

Lets wait for a dev official word (From BWStudios). I sent a PM to them with your question.

As it is not part of the download the answer, right now, is no.

Ok, please let me know if BWStudios gives an answer and decides to make me or anybody else use them :smile: they are really awsome hehe
edit - grammar

Back
Top Bottom