Match Previews - Official Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Tardet

French Toast
Count
Match Previews - Official Thread

This thread aims to deliver a decent overview of all the interesting matchs which are gonna happen or happened in this edition of the Nations Cup.

Robin and I, aswell as anyone interested by producing some writting stuff with us, have decided that will be producing our previews on the same thread to avoid thread spamming and gain some visibility.

Robin's Match Previews

Index

Tardet's Match Previews

Index

Other's Match Previews

Index

Staff

Main Analyst : Robin
Main Analyst : Tardet
Analyst : Varagian
Analyst & Proofreader : Viktor

Group Stage

North America vs Finland

3wWZDv9.png
VS
XdP4E.png

North America vs Finland

Given time : Saturday 19:30 GMT.

The first confrontation of this Nation Cup is gonna see the North America facing Finland in order to determine who's gonna share the lead of Group B for Week 1. And the least which can be said, is that those two teams are not beginners when it comes to Nation Cup. In 6 editions, they have been participating every single time and if they eventually felt short getting to the final phases, they're definetly used to that kind of events and know how to hold the pressure. What is going to be interesting is watching how they're gonna perform versus eachothers ; because they both intend to give an hard time to their opponent!

3wWZDv9.png
5620582193_07207bc789_o.png
It is always a special thing to fight North America because of the home-away system. But more than that, if you actually look at their team, you have many reasons to be scared, whoever you're. Assembling all the best players of the NA community must have been all but not an easy task however Arys and Oodle proved that they could do it and consequently, they're coming into this match with a pretty solid roster, but more importantly, with players which know eachothers very well. It is really hard to find them a weakness because no matter if you look at their cavalry, infantry or rangers, they took their best representatives, to give the best performance possible.

Their infantry core, composed of PPK, Oodle, Aporta and Troubadour is going to be a deadly threat for any Nations, especially with the ping advantage. Those four will be able to count on some pure elite cavalry, I named Vinny, Heat, Wily and Cru. And if any of the Group B players forget to hold up their shield, make them remember that Jeffrey, Lagstro, Achilles and John are ready to build up with any of your mistakes. Their shooting is simply astonishing.

The last WPL showed how dangerous any of those players could be, and even though the ping was largely at their advantage troughout their whole matchs vs EU teams, it gives a good indication of their form and that if they get to figure out what could work on the hardside (EU server), then they can definetly put up more than a good fight and go far in the Nations Cup.

On the other hand, Finland is once again answering the call, and they also have their lots of stars in their ranks. Lead by someone who does no longer need to be presented, Sotamarsu, the fins are not willing to give to the America team an easy ride and in order to do so, they also brang an excelent composition which aims to handle anything those damn americans could sent to them.

Though, on the paper, their team doesn't look as balanced as the NA's one is. If they can count on their so damn rangers like Sota, Ryozu and Bauglir, they might lack some really decisive infantries like the ones NA is gonna put in front of them. However, if they can time up their positioning and engagements with their cavalry, axL, Dopey and Varagian, two players which proved being deadly when having the room to do so, will do the rest.

All in all, I find the team Finland etablished really interesting and I'm yet to see what they can do together. With the server ping differences, I expect this match to be really close, but with a slight advantage to Arys and coe. It is Finland task to prove me wrong and give all but not a walk in the park to the North America team.

XdP4E.png

nc16week1closed_zpsp6tmvrtd.png

Ironically, the two first maps played for the Week1 of the Nations Cup are the two new maps which were implanted for the Warband Native League 5, some months ago. If people figured out to play it for a while already, it might not be those two map they know how to play at the best of their capacities. Concerning Naval Outpost, it is this kind of Map where pre-positioning can have a major influence in your way to approach the fight, and win it. Some would say that it is the case for every maps, and I would tend to agree with them, but on Naval Outpost, I find it even more important. If you give up the Central Ally to focus on either Boat or the In-Between Spawns, you give your opponent a chance to control it and be faster when it comes to take positions for the foutain flag. However you also take the risk of an early engagement by doing so, something that some leaders prefer avoiding.

North America might want to use Nords to engage very early with their infantry and build up from that with the momentum on going. But if Finland manage to set up a decent bunch of crossfire, then it will be probably not so easy for them to do so. With the superiority of their infantry I would still give NA the upper hand on this map.

When it will come to River Village though, this might be another story. If Finland can use their cavalry really well, teamplaying with their rangers, than they have a little chance making the difference they need to beat NA. It will be all about their decision to not put up with NA's style play and make the game, create the opportunities, and not waste them. They do have the players need for such a task but I don't see NA sitting passivly to let them doing so. I expect River Village to be a bit closer than Naval Oupost for the reason that the infantries won't play the same role than on the close map. Though, Finland will need their two/three players who have the hard job to play infantry to be extremly solid, especially under the flags. Playing more than that, or not having them being decisive at the right moment will simply means game over in my opinion.
nc16week1open_zpsngpditda.png

Thanks to Robin for giving me a good exemple of how to set up the thread and Aeronwen through him, since she has been the one doing all the coding/formating stuff.

Thanks to him aswell for allowing me writting a preview myself. Since matchs didn't started yet, I don't have anything to do and I was really willing to make one analys about this match and he has been kind enough to let me doing so.

Poland vs Ireland

Poland vs Ireland

Poland vs Ireland will take place on Sunday 19:30 GMT.

yxXvp.png
Poland were the winners of the Nation’s Cup last year and are the only Nation with 2 wins in the tournaments history.  Poland had a nice tournament last year we can all agree on that, knocking out favourites Germany in the Quarter Finals and a strong UK team in the semis before going on to beat a seemingly unstoppable BeNe in the Final. This year Poland are looking stronger, furthermore they got some additions to their roster. For example iLove and Warhammer, but will it be enough for Poland to take an historic 2nd consecutive win?

Virus, probably the best archer in Warband, is playing for team Poland once again but will that be enough for Poland? Looking at Poland's roster we see players like Virus, Trebron, Sebek, Blade, Cristo, Prince, iLove, Matafiks and Warhammer. Quite a good team, too good.
Virus,Blade,Prince and Matafiks are all deadly archers. They have been playing together for such a long time now their teamwork is excellent. If Ireland will need to kill their archers quickly.
Trebron is known as one of the best cavalries of the scene. He is an excellent cavalry at bumping enemies and supporting his team. Will Trebron be at the top of the scoreboard or at the bottom? That's the question. Sebek, iLove and Warhammer are all extremely good infantries. Been playing so well recently, but we'll see if they will play as good as we think vs Ireland, or if they will be useless. They have been topping the scoreboard of IG battlegrounds everyday, training extremely much. We'll see if their training will pay off.
Cristo, is famous for his javelin skills. You can't run from Cristo if he got his javelins. Will Poland be dropping javelins to Cristo so he can kill whole Ireland himself with javs? He is dangerous with the javelins and we'll see if he's able to hit someone with javs vs Ireland. Maybe he will cut them into pieces?

The commanders of team Poland are Harman and Sebek, both very old players who have loads of experience.
~~***~~​

And now going from the top team of the tournament to a new team, Ireland.

Ireland is a new formed national team, consisting mostly of players new to Warband tournaments, and is ready to put up a good fight against Poland, I am sure Ireland won't give up that easily. Kiano is the commander and also commander of IG, and has put together this team from scratch.  Their weakness is their communication. Half of team Ireland doesn't have a mic, and communication is quite hard for them.
Will Kiano's tactics and players such as Hobo, PotatoLogic, Macco, Dante and Halt put up a good fight against Poland? We'll see about that.

1MrMjlq.png

~~***~~​

First map will be Naval Outpost, made by Firunien and already played in the ECS and WNL. It is a closed map. Some people find it as a mixed map. The spawns are relatively close to each other, and can be pushed fast. There's loads of camping positions furthermore you can set up crossfire pretty easily. Naval Outpost is a very balanced map, and is one of the best maps right now. The standard setup is 2 archers, 2 cavalries and 4 infantries. Maybe the time has come to do some different setup? The factions are Rhodoks vs Nords. Quite balanced in my opinion. Rhodoks can do the cleaver drops but Nords has the axes! Nords are extremely good on closed maps, and some likes to have 5 infantries, 1 archer and 2 cavalries as Nords. Maybe we'll see that as Nords? who knows. Nords axes can easily crush their opponents shields. Rhodoks has to make sure that does not happen, in that case Nords archers would shoot them to death comes. Poland's cavalries, archers and infantries are much more experienced and skilled and will without any kind of problem kill Ireland. Playing with the scenes best players vs a new formed team might end up badly. My prediction is that Poland will win 6:0 on Naval Outpost.

However, Ireland will be able to get some kills if they do everything in a proper way. Macco, a player from Ireland, has been performing very well recently, but is he able to kill Trebron? Poland might be waiting for flags the 1st round, to figure out Ireland's weaknesses and strengths. Ireland are likely to be holding back for the same reason. After the 1st round, teams will consider if they are going to rush or not.
~~***~~​

River Village, the 2nd map, is made by Reggae and was used in the WNL. River village will be in favour of Poland.

The factions will be Swadia vs Vaegirs. Poland will be going with 3 archers no matter what, they feel very comfortable playing 3 archers on open maps. They will have confidence in the skill of their archers, players like Virus, Blade, Prince and Matafiks will be shooting at people all the time. Poland's cavalries are excellent at bumping footmen and killing the enemies' cavalries. Poland does not have to play their best infantry on River Village, because their archers will just be stealing their kills. Kiano and Hobo are both great archers of Ireland and will surely kill someone of team Poland. Infantries will be useless for both teams on this map, bolts and arrows will be flying everywhere. Poland will be setting up crossfire all over the map, will this make Ireland confused? Ireland will have to think wisely about tactics on both maps, and how they are going to play it in a proper way. Most of the rounds, Poland going to kill their whole enemy team without having a single guy dying, maybe Ireland will surprise all of us and make sure it won't happen!

~~***~~​
I predict a 12:0 for team Poland​
~~***~~​

Russia&Ukraine vs Norway&Denmark

Russia & Ukraine vs Norway & Denmark

Russia vs Norway & Denmark will take place Sunday 19:30 GMT streamed by Konstrush and refereed by Raven.

V5Hoj.png

Russia might well have won the Nation's Cup 2014 but were disqualified for breaking the rules and Scandinavia took the championship. During the Nations Cup 2015 Russia lost in Quarter Final to United Kingdom, the score ended 9:7 to UK. The commanders of Russia last year were Grifon and Sifon. This year Grifon is commanding once again this time with Silver. Ukraine took part in Nations Cup 2014 as well, commanded by R1ch. They did not make it into the Quarter Final 2014 or 2015, sadly.

This year, due to lack of active Ukrainian players, Russia & Ukraine have formed an alliance and are looking to win Nations Cup 2016. Will it happen?

Russia & Ukraine has obviously some of the scene's strongest players such as Sodomard, Bendetto, Grifon, Silver and Dirty_Monk.
Bendetto is one of the best archers in the game and is facing Norway & Denmark in his first match. Will Bendetto be able to shoot them in the face, or will Wierdo bring him down before he even raised his bow? Sodomard and Silver are both very talented infantries and key players. Sodomard has been inactive for a very long time, is he ready for Nations Cup? Dirty Monk has been playing cavalry since the game pretty much came out and is an excellent cav player. Will he and Rasko be able to bring down Norway & Denmarks cavalry?

Russia & Ukraine won't have any kind of problems about the communication, it will be in favour of Russia & Ukraine.

Will the commanders of Russia & Ukraine, Grifon and Silver, bring glory to their team?
~~***~~​
And now going from one of the best teams to Norway & Denmark.

Norway & Denmark were part of the Scandinavian team with Sweden that won in Nations Cup 2014, including Sweden. Norway decided to make their own team 2015 but it did not end well. They had to leave the tournament due to lost motivation and inactivity. The commander of team Norway last Nations Cup was Anders. However, Sweden and Denmark played in alliance lat year under the command of Oliveran. Both Norway and Sweden & Denmark performed badly last Nations Cup. Maybe it has changed now since Denmark decided to merge with Norway instead of Sweden.

Looking at Norway & Denmark's roster it consists of players like Wierdo, Anders, Levhan, Greed, Viglaf, Kohath and Arraknia. Viglaf and Wierdo are extremely good at playing cavalry. Both been playing cavalry since a very long time and are also some of the scene's strongest cavalries. Anders was very active back in the days, but now you barely see this excellent archer playing warband, sadly.

However, Anders is back to make sure Norway & Denmark will win vs Russia & Denmark, but will it be enough? Greed is another great archer, that means They have 2 really good rangers. Levhan, Arraknia and Kohath are all good infantries. All playing from time to time, maybe they play to less native? The infantries of Norway & Denmark will have to play very aggressively to make it work. They can not let Greed and Anders be drawn into melee, if they do, the round is lost. Norway & Denmark need their rangers help shooting the enemies archers and cavalries.

Will their commander Kohath deliver some good tactics on both maps, or will Russia & Ukraine make better tactics?

Nor_Den_Flag_Aeronwen_2.png

~~***~~​

First map will be Naval Outpost, made by Firunien and already played in the ECS and WNL. It is a closed map and will be in favour of Russia & Ukraine. Some people find it as a mixed map. The spawns are relatively close to each other, and can be pushed fast. There's loads of camping positions furthermore you can set up crossfire pretty easily.

Naval Outpost is a very balanced map, and is one of the best maps right now. The standard setup is 2
archers, 2 cavalries and 4 infantries. Maybe the time has come to do some different setup? The factions are Rhodoks vs Nords, quite balanced in my opinion. Rhodoks can do the cleaver drops but Nords has the axes! Nords are extremely good on closed maps, and some likes to have 5 infantries, 1 archer and 2 cavalries as Nords. Maybe we'll see that as Nords? Who knows. Nord axes can easily crush their opponents shields. Rhodoks has to make sure that does not happen, in that case Nords archers would shoot them to death comes.

Russia & Ukraine has way better rangers than Norway & Denmark do. That will be another favour of Russia & Ukraine, but they can't just think their archers will do everything, teamwork is the key of victory. Bendetto, Grifon and Max are all great archers. They can just be running around on the map and setting up crossfire easily, since they know how it works. But are Anders and Greed any match for them?

The 5 infantry tactic might not work for Norway & Denmark, considering they don't have that many infantries. To make sure everything goes right, I'd still say Norway & Denmark will go with 2 archers, 3 infantries and 3 cavalry. That's what I think their setup as Nords will be, looking at their roster and figuring out their classes.

Russia & Ukraine's infantries are very good, I am pretty sure they will overrule Norway & Denmark infantries without any kind of problem. Russia & Ukraine has to be careful of not walking into a crossfire that Norway & Denmark setting up, and also watch out for Wierdo, he might come in their back and couch lance someone if they don't pay attention. Wierdo is known as one of the best cavalries in the game, he is a very good cavalry with javelins. He might ride around on the map and throw javelins into Russia & Ukraine cavalries if they are not careful.

Rasko is another great cavalry, pretty new to the scene I think. I am quite sure Russia & Ukraine will be playing Rasko or Dirty Monk as cavalry on this map. Or even both. Both of them are excellent as cavalries. I have seen Rasko playing very aggressively during matches and dying. Hopefully, he won't do that mistake on Sunday; it might a round lost for them.

Obviously, both teams has to think wisely about tactics and their setup on this map. The normal setup might not work on this map, since both teams has excellent players at each classes. Instead, both nations has to figure out their enemies weaknesses and strike their weaknesses as soon as they can. If one nation figures out the other nation has good infantries, then they can be adding one extra infantry and removing a crossbowman. But if they remove a crossbowman or archer the crossfire will reduce a lot. Moreover, if you reduce your crossfire, the other team can easily push and kill the whole team. This map is pretty much about crossfire and tactics. My prediction is that Russia & Ukraine will win 6:2 on Naval Outpost.
~~***~~​

River Village, the 2nd map, is made by Reggae and was used in the WNL. River village will be in favour of Russia & Ukraine. The factions will be Swadia vs Vaegirs. Russia & Ukraine will be going with 3 archers, just like Poland will against Ireland. Russia & Ukraine has extremely good archers as well, and they can easily set up a sick crossfire that you can't avoid.

Infantries will be doing long awlpike drops to their cavalries. Cavalries will be in need of long awlpikes a lot. Infantries are quite useless on this map as I mentioned in my previous preview. Infantries will be there to push archers if they have to, or rise the flag when it is needed. Otherwise, it is an archer and cavalry map for sure.Will Anders and Greed be able to shoot Russia & Ukraine's archers before they shoot them? I doubt so, but we'll see.

Norway & Denmark will have to think wisely about their setup and tactics on this map to make sure they won't get caught in position by Russia & Ukraine. Russia & Ukraine are playing training matches almost every day, so they know how this map works, and they know how to play it in a proper way. I am pretty sure that Russia & Ukraine feels more comfortable Playing River Village than Naval Outpost.
It's pretty much also about where the flags spawn. Flags play a big part in this map, and it is very important to do the right moves before the enemies.

Norway & Denmark will win 1 single round on River Village. If they had the flag in their favour, and could easily see where Russia & Ukraine were splitting up then they decided to push one side and caught some of Russia & Ukraine off guard, then they would manage to win the whole round.

Russia & Ukraine will be setting up crossfire all over the map, and make sure their archers are protected at any time. Russia & Ukraine are ready to sacrifice their infantries, just to make sure their archers will be in life and still being able to shoot Norway & Denmark into pieces.

Once Norway & Denmark are running to the flag, Russia & Ukraine's cavalries will rush their archers to slow them down and make sure they won't be touching the flags. Maybe Norway & Denmark will do the same? A team without archers are useless. Russia & Ukraine has always been good at finding enemies weaknesses. Will they be able to find Norway & Denmark's weaknesses?

~~***~~​
My prediction is a victory for Russia & Ukraine with a score of 12:3 against Norway & Denmark.
~~***~~​

Czechoslovakia vs France

Czechoslovakia vs France

France vs Czechoslovakia will take place on Friday 19:30 GMT.

WnPjD.png

France & Luxembourg lost to Belgium & Netherlands in quarter final the Nation's Cup 2014 with a score of 12:4 to Belgium & Netherlands. They did not come so far even though they had players like Peter and Tobi. This year Peter and Tobi are not playing for France. Will France manage to beat Belgium & Netherlands week 3? France won the Nations Cup 2012, is it their time to shine this year and take a second Nations Cup victory? France won over Sweden with a score of  11:5. France won 6:0 on the first map, and the second map ended as a draw. France played really well on the first map, but suddenly they just wasted a lot of rounds on River Village, which I still don't understand why. For example, some of their cavs got dismounted before the flag even spawned. Still, they played very well vs Sweden on River Village, but maybe Sweden just played better on that map than France?

This year they are called France and not France & Luxembourg even though they got Brian and Thorr from Luxembourg.

France's roster this year is completely different than the roster they had in 2015. They do still have some old players like Paulo, Brian, Thorr, Subzero, Tigerwhite and Kulis who played in 2015.
But this year, their roster is very different. Some of their new players are: Ncromancien, Merzhin, Johny, Shakalis and Maximou.
Their team is quite good overall, will be interesting to see how they perform against the top teams.
Most of the people of team France are members of the clan, Unity. It feels like France has loads of Infantry players and all are extremely good at it but fewer archery and cavalry.
Looking at their roster we see some key players like Paulo, Subzero, Brian, Tigerwhite and Thorr. A really good line up in my opinion.

Paulo is the commander of both France and Unity. One of the scene's best archer and commander. Another great archer of France is Tigerwhite who has performed very well recently furthermore he is also a member of Unity. Will be interesting to see how Paulo and Tigerwhite do vs Czechoslovakia. It seems Paulo and Tigerwhite are the only dedicated archers for France, which is a limitation for them. But they have got players like Subzero and Brian who can play archer if needed. So there should not be any kind of problem anyway for them.
Brian and Thorr are two brothers from Luxembourg that plays Infantry most likely. They use to play for FRaG then moved to Unity and now are in the French team. Both are really good, but Brian seems to be an absolutely beast at the moment. I have been spectating Brian a lot recently, and how he plays is so nicely done. Thorr is also a beast infantry, but at the moment it feels like Brian is performing at his top and might become one of the best infantries of the game.
Subzero is another great player. His main class is cavalry and he is really good at it. He can play any class pretty much, but I enjoy seeing him as cavalry. Also playing at his top at the moment, how he performed vs Sweden was excellent. He is an unstoppable cavalry. Will be interesting to see how he performs vs Czechoslovakia. Sometimes he has bad days, and sometimes he has awesome days. Subzero is quite a huge player, and missing him would be a big loss. I am quite sure Subzero will be having a good day vs Czechoslovakia, no matter what. The commander of France is Paulo. Furthermore I have heard Brian is another great commander.

Travelling from the baugette country to Czechoslovakia, a new formed team of the Nations Cup 2016. Will be very interesting to see how they manage to perform vs France. Moreover, they managed to win two rounds against Belgium & Netherlands which I think in my opinion is really good against one of the better nations. I was quite surprised about the score, I thought Belgium & Netherlands would win something in the way like 12:0, but no, it did not happen. Czechoslovakia surprised us with the score and made sure no one will underestimate them.

~~***~~​
And now going from one of the best teams to Czechoslovakia.

Czechoslovakia is an alliance between Czech Republic and Slovakia. Czech Republic took part of the Nations Cup 2015 but Slovakia did not. Czech Republic did not make it into the quarter finals, sadly. Nations Cup 2015 they had players like Thunderon, JonyD, Gideon, Messium, Marek, and Umpa. A very good line up. Sadly they were missing Relaks, known as the best cavalry of the scene. I am sure they could have done much better if they had Relaks.

This year Czechoslovakia is commanded by Eduard, who is a new player to the scene. Eduard comes from Slovakia. Messius and Pepa, are both members of IG. Furthermore they are helping Eduard to command Czechoslovakia from what I have heard. Both are really good players, will be interesting to see how these two IG members will perform vs the French men. Maybe they will perform excellent, who knows.

Their roster seems to consist of new and old players. Czechoslovakia has some really great players like Marek, Kore, Alloo, LukeLdor, Messius and Pepa. Obviously, Marek is a very good cavalry but he is very inactive recently, hopefully he will return to being more active after the Nations Cup. Having Marek as an inactive player might be a big loss as well. Alloo, Kore and Messius are all decent infantries. Sadly, I do not think it will be enough against the French infantries, but we'll see about that. Pepa is a decent archer as well, but still, I don't think it will be enough against the french rangers. LukeLdor who I believe was leader of Bohemian Guard is a very old and experienced player. Sadly, I have not seen him playing warband at all recently, I would love to see him coming back to play native, but I am quite sure it won't happen at all.Czechoslovakia should probably spam Thunderon and Relaks to join them for this Nations Cup. They do need both of them, if they get them, they are absolutely way better than most Nations.

Will their commander Eduard deliver some good tactics on both maps, or will France make better tactics?

303fsxh.jpg

~~***~~​

nc16week2open_zpsug0ibdgc.png

Frosthaven is a new map made by Azan. Azan is a very good at making maps so I am quite sure this map will be another great map made by Azan. Frosthaven was used in Season IV of WWC and is currently used in NA WMT. Is an open map and the map is looking very balanced. Crossfire can easily be set up like on any other open map, counter the crossfire and you win. Frosthaven is not used on IG_Battlegrounds so everyone are pretty new to the map and has to train on the map loads of times to get everything in order. I have played the map twice now in matches, and in my opinion I like it a lot. A lot of surprises can easily be made on this map, we'll see what France and Czechoslovakia can provide us with. The spawns are quite far away from eachother, since the spawns are very much              balanced, a cav rush first round can easily be countered if you manage to do it in a proper way. The factions will be Nords vs Vaegir. Doing a cav rush as Nords might work, but will be harder as Vaegirs to make it work. Nord cavalry has their javelins and can easily throw javelins into the enemy. Having 8 cavalries as Nords might not be such a bad idea, afterall, AE managed to win with 8 cavalry vs IR in the final of the fifth Warband Native League.
Otherwise, I find the factions balanced for this map, so it will be very interesting to see how all Nations perform on this map. I am looking forward for this map a lot!

There's loads of places where you can set up your crossfire, and loads of places where you can camp and stay in cover at. So you don't have to worry all the time about getting shot, since there are a lot of places where you can hide. Furthermore it is a good map for infantry. Infantry do not have to feel useless on this map, they are playing a big part of the show this time. As a result of this, infantry are very useful on this map and must be used in a good way. Avoid getting shot by archers at least is a good start.
When I played matches on this map I felt like the flags were quite balanced as well, both teams had chances to approach the flag no matter where you were on the map. Both teams had same chances to win by flags. Secondly, you can easily set up a crossfire around the flags. Going for the flag the last 30 seconds might be a better idea than raising the flag all the time. It will be interesting to see how balanced the map actually is and to see the very first official NC matches on Frosthaven.

Nords is probably the better faction on this map and can easily kill whole Vaegir team. They got the javelins and axes who can easily break shields and kill enemies. Looking at the French cavalries, they got cavalries like Ncromancien, Brian, Subzero and Merzhin. A good cav line up. Czechoslovakia has one single good cavalry, and that's Marek. But Marek can't kill whole France himself, he needs support to do that. France feels very comfortable on open maps I heard. I think most Nations will go with around 3-4 cavalries and 1-2 archers and 3-4 infantries as Nords. Having infantries with javelins is not a big idea at all, it is actually a very good idea.
Sadly, I can't tell you so much of what people actually will be doing on this map, since we never saw an official match getting played on it. France has way more experienced players than Czechloslovakia does. The French cavalries will without any kind of problem kill Czechoslovakia's cavalries, since Marek can't do it alone. A match between some of the scene's best players versus a new formed nation might end up in a bad way.

However, Czechoslovakia might be able to get some kills on Frosthaven at least. After all, they got some experienced players. But will they manage to kill people like Brian and Paulo? We'll see. Czechoslovakia is after all improving and improving. But since most of them are new to the scene I think will struggle real hard on Frosthaven. Eduard is not a very experienced commander, so he must make sure his players are not doing suicide things. The French will have better communication since almost all of them are old and experienced and know how Native works. I am sure they can pick up some easy kills at some places on the map.
I had that feeling of France doing some weird things on the map which might cost them some rounds. Maybe their confidence will be the reason of them losing some rounds?

My prediction is that France will win 6:2 on Frosthaven.
~~***~~​

The second map is Verloren, once again made by Azan. Both Frosthaven and Verloren are made by Azan, he must feel honoured having both his maps getting played week 2 of the Nations Cup 2016. Verloren has been used in the most tournaments and is probably the most appreciated map ever. Everyone loves to play on Verloren, it is just such a good map. The factions for Verloren are Swadia vs Nords. Since all the French men are old and experienced they will win quite high on this map as well. Playing vs a new formed team with new players on a closed map might be fun for France but not for Czechoslovakia. It is a closed map indeed, and will be in favour of France once again, due to their infantries being very good. Having the Luxembourg brothers as infantries on a closed map is a very good idea for France. I am pretty sure France doesn't have to use their best team for this map since their whole team consist of good players. But on Frosthaven they should stick with their best roster.

We all know how Verloren works so it won't be as interesting as Frosthaven will be. Camping for flags all the time, might be boring for France since they know they can easily win the infantry fight. Maybe it is time for France to lose the infantry fights!

Czechoslovakia, will have to think wisely about the tactics for both maps to make it work against a nation such as France. France will just be shooting bolts and arrows all over the maps, and setting up an easy crossfire so Czechoslovakia can walk into it. Does Czechoslovakia know how to handle a situation where they are in a crossfire? Most of the rounds, France are going to kill the whole enemy team without having a single guy dying, maybe Czechoslovakia will surprise us once again and make sure it won't happen. Maybe they will perform better vs France than they did against Belgium & Netherlands.

nc16week2closed_zpsbjntrchn.png

~~***~~​
My prediction is a victory for team France with a score of 12:3 against team Czechoslovakia.
~~***~~​

Group Stage

Turkey vs Finland

vzg18.png
VS
XdP4E.png

Turkey vs Finland

Given time : Sunday 19:30 GMT.

The Nation Cups is heading towards the end of the second week and we're yet to see any upset during this competition. However, one surprising result of last week was Finland getting a fairly deserved draw versus North America, where many would have expected NA to get the upper hand. On the other hand, Turkey won without too much difficulties versus Austria & Switzerlands, but were still forced to give up 5 rounds to their opponent, which was probably more than they were supposed to. Nothing too worrying for Rayden and his guys who are still considered heavily favorite but since Finland seems quite on point at the moment, it makes their match a bit more interesting and we can expect both team to put up a good fight on each of the maps.

Teams Informations

vzg18.png
Turkey are considered one of the best nation of the warband community and they have what is needed to back up such a statement. In 6 participations, they have made it to the last stage 5 times, something that no other team managed to achieve. This said, Turkey always felt short to win the title, like closely loosing to Germany during the final, in 2013. This year, Rayden intends to give his country its first Nation Cup Tittle and has consequently gather a team made of the best turkish players the scene has seen.

Infantry wise, Turkey can count on an extremly dangerous infantry core composed of imNotAlone, Pendragon, Khefren and Tyhke . Rayden as an archer will be leading them, and along his side, Menethil, Irsman and Airelach will be something to be extremly aware of, because of their capacity to hit their shots straigh and fast. And as if it wasn't enough, the Turkish cavalry squad is probably gonna play a decisive role in many occasions with players such as Sir_Arthur, Colonel and Can.

Therefore it's once again a really strong Turkish team which is coming to claim the title this year. The question being, what is gonna be different from the previous years? Some possibles answers this Sunday in their match versus Finland.

Finland made quite a convincing entry in this Nation Cup with getting a draw versus North America. If they had quite a sloppy start, which can be understable due to ping difference, they proved that even being 4-0 behind, they had what was needed to close it back and start the second map with more than a chance.

On their first map, the people expected to show up hold on to the expectations, Varagian and axL playing a main role in preventing the North America team to fly away with the victory. However they were not alone, and Raven, Paradoxa, Meldo and Monkey also proved that they could be here when their team need them to step up.

Consequently I'm really looking forward to see how they're doing versus Turkey, where their opponent will have somewhat a similar ping to them. Where Turkey has quite a large roster that they can use to switch and adapt to Finland's style, the fins will probably often have the same set up with the same players, which can either be a strengh or a weakness.

I'm really expecting Finland to put up a hard fight for Turkey, even more than Austria did, but it will of course depends on them and on their form during the match.

Maps Informations

XdP4E.png

nc16week2open_zpsug0ibdgc.png

This week is gonna see the first apparition of Frosthaven on the competitive scene, and the map is already being quite controversial among the community. What is sure is that the map is still quite unknown for many teams, and a lot of things are gonna come down to how they trained it. I would say that unless Finland found out some deep tactics to counter Turkey's style, this new map is going to come down to personal skill and in this register, Turkey is above Finland. This said, last match people said, including myself, that Finland would get stomped on Naval Oupost, however they only started River Village with one round decifit, let's say nothing.
If Finland can hook themselves up to Turkey in the scoretable, make them fight hard for each single rounds, than they might start on the next map with way much more confidence, unlike Turkey.

However, Verloren is a map that many Turkish players have been playing a lot, often in tense situations and I hardly see how Finland are gonna deal with the atrocious crossfire that Rayden, Menethild and Airelhach could possibly set up. Going for a direct rangers confrontation wouldn't be the best idea either, unless Sota is finally attending the match. And even though cavalry is important on any map, on close maps, and especially Verloren where the cavalry often has to make huge detours to engage a decent fight, it surely won't have the same impact then on Frosthaven and consequently Finland will have to count on other players than axL, Varagian, or Dopey to carry the team. Which make it even more important for Finland to take as many rounds as possible on the semi-open map.
It's gonna be extremly difficult for them, no matter what but I have some kind of faith that Finland can make it hard for Turkey. Let's see!
nc16week2closed_zpsbjntrchn.png

Belgium&Netherlands vs. France

Match Preview: Belgium & Netherlands vs. France

Be_Ne_v_France.png

Greetings, dear Warbanders, and welcome to another edition of the NC2016 Match Previews. In my first preview of NC2016, I am taking a look at one of the most intriguing matches of Week 3: last year’s runner-up Belgium & Netherlands against one-time Nations Cup winner France. Belgium & Netherlands is on the hunt for their first gold medal, which they just missed last year, and one could say that they are the favorites against France.
~~ >< ~~​

Team Information
UZhk3.png

BeNe's ranger squad has always been scary, and this year's no exception. With players like LeRoux, Caius, Attila and Violet, BeNe is looking to dominate their opponents in archery.
While we can always expect top-class performances from LeRoux, Caius also seems to be in tremendous form, shooting and sniping himself into the top echelons of the scoreboards in nearly every set he’s played in. The only concern with BeNe’s rangers might be a possible lack of teamwork between them, as they are not used to playing with one another – unlike their French counterparts.

BeNe’s cavalry is not as stacked with star power compared to their rangers, but they are still a force to be reckoned with. Ceasar has been dominating the scoreboards in nearly every match and Surkan has had his time to shine, too, with some interesting players like Tomy and Watly to throw in on the more open maps. They have only gone up against the bottom seeds of their group so far, however, and their cavalry hasn't had a real challenge yet. They will have much to prove against France. As of now, however, it looks like they have a solid cavalry lineup.

If you’ve haven’t already found yourself starstruck at the players on display, you probably won’t be too excited with BeNe’s infantry roster. Still, both Doener and Kellermann have played a great tournament so far, though they suffer from the same issue of facing bottom seed teams as the cavalry. They seem to lack some depth to their infantry roster, however, with perhaps only Ciiges to mitigate this issue.
~~ >< ~~​

France does not field their 2012 winning team of RNGD superstars, but their current roster is by no means lesser in potential. With most of their players coming from the French clan Unity, they are a formidable group of skilled players who are used to playing with one another.

Brian, Thorr and Merzhin. Hearing these three names together can strike fear into the hearts of any infantry who has to face them, for they are one of the most formidable infantry trios in the entire tournament. France has to use their excellent infantry wisely in order to neutralize the BeNe rangers, as the failure to do so will likely lead to a swift and brutal demolition at their hands. In this, the archer-friendly maps are not in France’s favour.

Despite not seeming quite as illustrious in comparison to their BeNe counterparts, the French rangers are no small-timers. Paulo, Tigerwhite and Maximou have made their presence felt in every match France has played so far. They now have a tall task ahead of them in the form of BeNe’s ranger team. They will need a lot of hard work to surpass the BeNe household names.

France’s cavalry, as solid as they are, probably retain the title of the ‘weakest link’ of France’s roster. It only speaks to the quality found within this team that this title goes to players of such extensive merit as SubZer0, Ncromancien and Ereinion. Skill-wise, they should be able to go toe to toe with the BeNe horsemen, but in addition to this, they need to be able to shut down the BeNe rangers if France wants to taste victory.

Psychologically, France has an edge: BeNe, having barely lost to Poland last year, will surely want to advance right back to the finals. Can BeNe keep their heads if France puts up a strong fight right from the get-go?

WnPjD.png

~~ >< ~~​

Map Information
Both maps of Week 3, Fort of Honour and Castellum, favour archers. While both teams have a formidable core of ranged goodness, I predict that BeNe will benefit the most due to their generally larger and more skilled roster of rangers. As previously mentioned, this poses a serious question to the Frenchmen: can their cavalry and infantry work together well enough to neutralize the BeNe archers? Will the French archers be able to contend with BeNe's?
~~ >< ~~​

nc16week3closed_zpsltes38hm.png
While we would like to see France rushing right at the Flemish with their top-heavy infantry roster, trying to crush the skirmishing BeNes with the sheer might of their infantry, this is unlikely to happen. Fort of Honour features extensive crossfire possibilities, which BeNe will be sure to utilize with devastating effectiveness. Still, if done right, infantry pushes can be devastating on this map – especially given the strong disparity between the two teams’ infantry forces. One can easily imagine the Frenchmen surging into the graveyard flag spawn, overwhelming the defenders, but even this deceptively closed area holds some dark secrets which their opponents can utilize. If BeNe can avoid being pulled into chaotic, clustered infantry fights, where their rangers might be hesitant to shoot into, their archers can wreak havoc on the French team. It will be up to the French rangers to retaliate in kind, and much will depend on their form.

~~ >< ~~​

Castellum, while being an open map, isn’t actually very different in terms of the class compositions it favors. Archers are still strong, and cavalry simply jumps to the top of the list in importance. What is interesting is that neither team particularly excels in cavalry. Both teams’ cavalry will have to work hard to shut down the opponents’ archers, and the team that does this better will likely win the majority of the encounters. As mentioned before, archers are strong: every flag spawn in Castellum has at least three directions from which rangers can bombard the area at their leisure. Many will predict this to favour BeNe, and France’s rangers will have to work hard to prove them wrong.

nc16week3open_zpsaostq4bt.png

~~ >< ~~​

Credits: Aeronwen for the great formatting and Kohath for a funny and expressive picture.

Poland vs United Kingdom

wSPkJYh.png

Poland vs UK
Group C​

Ladies & gentlemen, warbanders of all ages. Welcome, to the final week of the group stages. To say we're only in week 3, we've seen some pretty exciting matches; North America's draw with Finland wasn't expected and definitely made us keep an eye on Group B. And it's a good job we did, because the following week in a major upset we saw Finland, the third seed in the group, beat favourites Turkey. I'm sure the betting corner weren't happy with the outcome and like many of us we expected, naturally, to see Turkey go far in this tournament and not get caught out in the group stages. Week 3 for that group is going to be important, but we're here for another match. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited for it; not just because my team is playing, but because both teams have something to prove - Poland want to retain their title and by beating a fearsome looking UK team, it would definitely put many doubters to rest as to whether or not they have the strength to win again. The UK on the other hand have never won a title, which is why this year they are looking to show their worth and what better way to do so than to beat the current champions.

Team Information

yxXvp.png
Virus, Blade, Prince & Matafiks - these are the four names you want to be watching out for. Poland's archers are globally feared & for good reason, they are so consistent and always make their presence known in every match. Poland are going to be utilising their archers with great precision, making any effort to defeat them nigh impossible.

But that's not the only thing UK want to be worrying about, a star-studded line up of cav and infantry await them if they manage to gain the upper hand. The likes of Trebron, Harman & CarpeDiem are a constant threat & they made it clear last year that they have arguably one of if not the best teamwork within any cavalry squad.

And if you weren't scared enough already, fulfilling the role of infantry are brilliant players like Sebek, Iovca, eRRoR & CristoTheVicious who are in no way the weakest aspect of the team. They can easily square up to UK inf if they are focused which I'm sure they will be.

The maps this week certainly favour Poland's archers and both teams know it. Let's not forget though that Poland are under a lot of pressure to perform, all eyes are on them to prove their metal & confirm that they are the best warbanding nation. They are a dominant force & have been eagerly awaiting a challenger like the UK to show that they're in it to win it.​

The UK has made an impressive start to this year's Nation's Cup; at the core we, like previous years, see a powerful group of AE players. But this year there's a lot of new blood, all of which have performed well so far. Some much needed strength was added to the archery line up for the UK as we see the introduction of Anchor and Jarvis&Pi appearing to be very beneficial to the team. To support them in their current success we see accomplished archers OGL & DoctorPepper back in action from last year to boost what many have thought of as the UK's weakest class. However with greats like Virus & Blade firing at you, the UK's archers are gonna have to be on top form if they want to defeat Poland. 

A host of cavalry have accompanied the team as we see players like Blacktide, Corey, Azan, Shingen, Mitchell & new additions like Hippo fill the ranks. Individually they're all top class players, but it's going to take more than just showing up for these cavalrymen to overcome the obstacle that is Poland. It can be done, we think, and doing so will be the greatest challenge the UK have faced yet.

What has been considered the strongest element of the UK team is made clear with the names that pop-up: M, Deacon, Cleric, Anthony aswell as Blacktide all contribute in making the UK a fierce nation. With help from players like Gibby & Osiris , who're both great within their own right, the UK is being deemed by many to be a real contender for the title this year. The UK face less pressure than Poland as they aren't worried about retaining the title, they are focused on conquering the cup this year and what better start to make than to defeat title-defenders Poland.​

Map Information
2LFrs.png

nc16week3closed_zpsltes38hm.png

Like previously mentioned, the maps are in favour of the Polish archers. Poland are without a doubt gonna want all of the rounds on this map, and why shouldn't they. There are so many good firing positions & areas to setup crossfires, like we saw on this very map last year in the semis between these two nations, Poland can use loads of nooks and crannies to their advantage & will certainly look to their archers to stack up the kills. The UK know this & will go to great lengths to see that the Polish archers aren't given any space. If they manage to do so, they may obtain an advantage with their infantry & cav - But it's tough to say. Both teams will have been making preparations for this match from week 1 and only on the day will we be able to observe if it will have all paid off.​

Castellum is debatable in its classification but for this tournament it's been labelled as open. The UK want to be looking for their cav to be ruling the roost on this map, however with neither factions having necessarily strong cavalry, it's going to be a mission in itself getting kills. Especially when the map still favours archers and so the UK cav are gonna have to be watching every inch of the map for possible headshots from enemy archers. With both nations having experienced tacticians at the helm like Azan & Harman, it's gonna be a battle of both wits & quality. There's a lot of hype building up for this clash - it will be a spectacle to watch and hopefully one to remember. Whatever the outcome, it'll be an intense match with great players coming head-to-head. Who will emerge victorious & smite down their enemy upon the slopes of the battlefield? We'll find out soon.   ​
nc16week3open_zpsaostq4bt.png

Thanks to Robin and Tardet for letting me produce this preview! And a big thanks to Aeronwen for the formatting.

i don't intend to be rude but the match previews are washed out and barely worth reading as they're repeating the same content or are reviewing teams that don't stand a chance at winning

I think it would be great to see some analysis from matches that has already been played. What made team A win, what did team B do wrong, key players etc. I would find it interesting to read and maybe even helpful for some teams

Shemaforash said:
i don't intend to be rude but the match previews are washed out and barely worth reading as they're repeating the same content or are reviewing teams that don't stand a chance at winning

This is what I noticed too, when writing my review: it's hard to write several previews without rehashing the same points about the maps in several different ways.

However, each preview is valuable in that it provides insight into the teams' strengths and weaknesses. That is not rehashing old content, but different for each match-up. It's also just good fun to read the previews. :smile:

Sorry for letting this quite down a bit.

Shemaforash said:

I don't take it rudly as you got more than a point. Though, as you often tend to be very one sided in your remarks, I will try to be a bit more qualified. In my own opinion, preview have this interest thing to create a little bit of hype for every matchs. Surely, sometimes those matchs don't deserve it as for France vs Czechoslovakia but for some others like Finland vs Turkey, BeNe vs France, UK vs Poland were worth it, you just have to look at their result.

Moreover, for any newcomers which get interested by the competitive community, it always a great things having the possibilities to get to know more about teams, as Lust said on the last H&S, we also have to think about them if we want to keep this community growing and prepare Bannerlord in the most positive way.

Bauglir said:
I think it would be great to see some analysis from matches that has already been played. What made team A win, what did team B do wrong, key players etc. I would find it interesting to read and maybe even helpful for some teams

I had been planning to do that for quite a long time already but unfortunatly I've had a very busy last week at my work and couldn't finish the review of NorthAmerica vs Finland I had written. I must admit it's also due to my capacity to get myself involded on too many projects. Hopefully I've got lots of help for the writting previews (Viktor, Varagian, and Robin) so I should be able to give more time to the reviews, as I'm also in vacations. Some like NorthAmerica vs Finland might be a bit outdated but I hope, still worth reading.

XdP4E.png
VS
2LFrs.png

Finland vs United Kingdom

Given time : Sunday 19:30 GMT.

We're heading towards the Quarter Finals of the Nations Cup and one of the exciting cast this week will be Finland facing the United Kingdom for a place in Semi Finals. Not many would have expected Finland to go that far in the competition, and certainly not taking the 1st place of Group B by surpassing North America and Turkey. On the other hand, the UK lads, closely defeated by Poland last week are ready to receive them and prove everyone that they're a serious contender for the tittle. One thing which is certain, is that by Sunday, one of them will be out and the other one continuing his road to glory. And none of them is willing to stop the adventure yet. 

XdP4E.png
There are lots of things to be said about Finland, probably because it's this kind of team that a few would have seen in quarters, and however, here they're. They've been demonstrasting amazing skills throughout all the groupstage and the influence their leader Sotamursu can have on them is probably playing a huge role in their positive results.

Finland has a roster which can be defined between a mix of star players, and some other names which despite being quite known, havn't the same impact in people's heads. Nothing could matter less however for them as Finland is one of those team which relies on teamplay and cohesion rather than on individual prowess. Surely having a cavalry such as axL capable of turning round at your advantage or an archer like Sota who can easily compete with the top rangers of the scene, help. But it's not only about that.

The small roster of Finland helped them bulding a team which works well together because they all know eachothers, their strengh, their weakness, and are carried by the same spirit of winning. Where some other teams have made the choice to constently switch their roster, Finland has quite the same Line Up of around ten players and so far it seems like it was more of advantage rather than an inconveniant for them.

If Finland have all the players attending the match, and they can run the composition they want, I really expect them to give a hard-time to UK and eventually take the win. Moreover they're coming into this match after a win over Austria, with the momentum surely going in their favor. It will be all about how they can keep it to their side.

The United Kingdom however, have certainly their words to say and after closely loosing to Poland in a match which could have gone their way with maybe a bit more of luck, they're probably willing to close this match as soon as possible and jump on the next opponent. But before doing so, they will have to keep all their focus on what Finland is gonna throw at them.

Unlike their ennemy, United Kingdom has quite an "all stars roster" meaning that only a few of their men arn't considered Tier 1 or Elite Tier players. However, it also means, and this has been seen during their last matchs, especially versus Poland, that they're most likely to observ lots of roster changing between sets. Now, I'm not one to judge the relevance of such a tactic but it means two things.

The first one is that UK has the capacity to use each of their players at the best of their potential. So that, as an exemple, where Finland will use one of their player as both a close and open map cavalry, or a ranger playing both crossbow and archer, UK will have the choice to decide which player fits the role the best. On the other hand, it will also mean that with this constant roster switch, UK won't have the same core of players that Finland possess and that if the situation turns at Finland's advantage, not having height players which perfectly work together, no matter if they don't play their classes at the best of their potential, could become an issue.

2LFrs.png

nc16-QF-A-map1_zpsw5iweer0.png

Verloren is UK pick and it makes sense to my eyes as it is a map where infantry is playing a huge role, as for each close one, a departement where they're consider clearly above Finland. In term of rangers, Finland is capable of giving a solid answer but what I would really focus on is cavalry. No matter if they choose to play one or two, one of the biggest's task of UK infantries will be to be able locking down axL and not offering him any room to play as we have seen how decisive he can be. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprise seeing Finland delaying their attack under flags to give their cavs the best opportunies of engagement.

Finland has been playing Verloren once, and pretty well to say the least, consequently the stream is online, something that UK could potentialy exploit if they have done their homeworks correctly. I'm really looking forward to see how UK is gonna deal with this map, because if they can take a maximum of rounds, that will certainly place them in a confortable position for the second map.

Because Reveran Village is certainly gonna be another story for team UK. Here, Finland will have the capacity to developp their styleplay as much as they want and count on their excelent cavalry to seal the faith of their opponent. As they're playing their map in second, it will be all about how many rounds they took to UK on Verloren. While I'm not a huge fan of going with numbers, with more than 3, I don't think UK will be able to bring it back. Not even saying if Finland comes on top after the first map. However if they havn't managed to disturb UK a bit on Verloren, unless a brillant start, I would easily see UK closing the match very fast and not giving Finland a slight opportunity to come back.
nc16-QF-B-map2_zpsuuhmofri.png

Back
Top Bottom