How different ship types sail w/r to the wind (quick guide)

Users who are viewing this thread

Vampiresbane

Regular
NOTE: Just realized there's no actual sailing difference in game between sloops and mainly squared vessels.  This might because I was testing a Sloop of War vs a Brig and the Sloop of War even though technically a "Sloop" has only square sails with the ingame model.  However, it might also be because the in game physics system for sailing treats ALL ships the exact same with regards to the wind with only stats like "Speed" and "Maneuverability" changing how your ship actually handles in a fight.  Hopefully this changes as variety in sails and how it affects sailing adds depth and immersion, but for the foreseeable future it may not change. 

WIP mainly because I'd like to have better pictures (I remember seeing some really good ones for Empire Total War, but can't find them).  (found better diagrams from "Pirates of the Burning Sea", a very similar game to this one.  Ship battles are more arcade however. 

The point of this thread is to show the difference in sailing Sloops vs Xebecs (if they're ever included in the game) vs Ships of the Line.

They each sail differently with respect to the wind.  In other words, each have a compass direction where they sail the fastest than the other type and it has to do with what type of sails they have.

xebec1.jpg

Xebecs are almost 100% triangle sails. 
They sail better than any other type of ship in the "Close-hauled" or "Close Reach" areas.  This is almost against the wind.  Sloops can somewhat handle this, but aren't as effective and ships with exclusively square rigging can't. 
347i9v9.png

boscawen_sailplan.jpg

Sloops are a mix of triangle sails and square sails.
They sail better than any other type of ship perpendicular to the wind direction or what is called the "Beam Reach" areas. 
mF7dYV8.png

4deck_120.png

Ships of the line or other predominately square sailed ships sail the best in the "Broad Reach" areas, do less than average in the beam reach areas, and have a difficult to impossible time with close or close-hauled areas.
xN7lBTs.png

I hope that helps those new naval captains out there when sailing various types of ships.  The vast majority of the ships in game are square sailed with a handful being similar to the sloop.  If anyone has better diagrams or corrections, let me know.  I'd like this guide be better visually as well as accurate as possible.

Back
Top Bottom