Possibility of Wiki/Detailed Strategy Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Skxawng

Regular
Dear Nought, Dear Minions,
I have the feeling this is going to be a quite lenghty post, so apologies in advance.
First of all, my compliments go to the "Great-Great Artificer" of Dark Calradia. Be aware, this is no average ceremony or captatio benevolentiae.
Solid & Shade is honestly terrific, and hugely addicting. The first half of 2015 saw me binge-playing it, aiming for a completism that I was close to reaching (I believe I missed only the Sphinx).
Then two events interrupted my "quest": I was forced to format my PC, losing all data, and I got a new job (luckily). When I come back to this board to re-download the mod, I found so many awesome changes in the new version that I felt overwhelmed by joy.

But also - and now I'm getting close to the point - a little confused. Basically, it's a matter of two factors: A, I can now play S&S only a few hours a week; B, when I started playing it all the secrets had already been covered in the "Discoveries" section of the board.
I somehow both love the hugeness of the "new" (and future) S&S, and fear the likely chance of getting lost without enjoying all the little secrets.

So, here's what I want to brainstorm about: how about joining forces to build either a Detailed Strategy Guide on this forum or - maybe better - a Wiki on some external host? I've just seen that something similar has been tried (here) but the project seems to be dead.
I know my idea will be unpopular to some, seeing this as castrating of the true spirit of S&S; but I also think that none of the bravest explorers would be damaged since this resource would be only for those willing to be "spoilered to".

The whole thing would be community based. Minions, please share your thoughts - positive and negative alike!

And Nought, thank you for this amazing world you've created. I don't dare to ask you a direct role in the project, but you have proven a rare willingness when summoned so I would more than pleased to hear your opinion. All Hail the Dark Lord!

-Skx

Well there is the strategy guide that I release with the game every time, and it has most the important info, but I have been considering setting up a wiki or working on a far more detailed guide - including a "bestiary" with every troop, complete with equipment and stat lists. Also a section for every item in the game, with detailed stats - one for details on character creation and progression and the far-reaching consequences of all choices therein - and another for every quest in the game. And that should summarize everything nicely.

The thing is, finding a point where I can do that, so yes having a community project where I can just correct misinformation would probably be good. See, every time I make a release - and i mean every time - i continue to work on the next version of the mod that same day. I have to get to the bugs and by then new things are going in, so I really only have the time, since the game is still persisting upon itself, to edit the strategy guide already available.

So if someone - with experience making a wiki - wanted to get that ball rolling I would be all about it, as long as I could make editorial changes as well, without having to go through anyone else. Schedules are why I don't mod with a team. :dead:

So yes. I endorse the idea.

Well. Once more you've proven yourself an amazing artist that really cares about your Creature and the community around it.
Let's see if there are any Wiki experts in there.
Thank you deeply.
:twisted:

So, anyone willing to get the ball rolling?
Your Dark Lord demands it. Don't make Him tumult.

-Skx

I could help with making a wiki. If you want me to.

Edit:... I do want to help make a wiki for Solid and Shade. So, can I help make a Solid and Shade wiki?

I know nothing about creating one, but I'd be happy to help with moderating one, as well as collecting information to put on it.

IMHO, you should MP Nought himself if you haven't already.
Just to share initial thoughts and decide the basic guidelines.
Thank you so much!
:wink:

Skxawng said:
IMHO, you should MP Nought himself if you haven't already.
Just to share initial thoughts and decide the basic guidelines.
Thank you so much!
:wink:

I aim to please. And it is actually very easy to create a wiki.

Edit: I Just MP'ed N0ught.

Edit 2: The link to the wiki is going to go onto this post when I finish making it and that should be soon.

Edit 3: Horray. I have done it. Here is the link : http://solid-and-shade-mod.wikia.com/wiki/Solid%20and%20Shade%20mod%20Wikia?wiki-welcome=1

Fantastic! Now, are there any guidelines to share with the community?
If you ask me, I'd go with "quantity over quality" to begin with. Once a substantial quantity of topics has been covered, we can go back to the articles and polish them.

Skxawng said:
Fantastic! Now, are there any guidelines to share with the community?
If you ask me, I'd go with "quantity over quality" to begin with. Once a substantial quantity of topics has been covered, we can go back to the articles and polish them.

The only guidelines that have been set so far are: N0ught has full editing access to all of the pages that exist currently and will ever exist on the Solid and Shade wiki.

And that's it as far as the current guidelines are. Me and N0ught have most of the control over rule making for the wiki.

I think that the first articles that should be posted should be the ones most people wonder about: Character creation choices; Locations of items that the mod add or modified; And companions that are added by the mod.

After that anyone can add any new pages to the wiki as long as they have something to do with Solid and Shade.

Fine. I will start adding something, expect very unpolished material and many ctrl+c/ctrl+v from the Strategy Guide (for now, at least).
Also, I will probably be able to contribute only during weekends, so I'm summoning all the Minions out there to put their efforts in this.

EDIT: Character Creation page online. Please, someone take care of formatting it as I'm a total wikias noob.

I currently only have had access to my old laptop which is very slow and overheats and shuts itself down by itself a lot but I should have access to my new laptop again so I can start helping make articles and post picture of items and NPCs soon.

Added the Investigator Clues page.

http://solid-and-shade-mod.wikia.com/wiki/Investigator_Clues

This wikia won't die.
Plus, in S&S death is a topic with very blurred boundaries.

Skxawng said:
Added the Investigator Clues page.

http://solid-and-shade-mod.wikia.com/wiki/Investigator_Clues

This wikia won't die.
Plus, in S&S death is a topic with very blurred boundaries.

I'm sorry for not helping  with the wiki. I haven't installed mount and blade onto my new computer yet. I'm doing that today so I should be able to start adding to the wiki tomorrow.

Okay, so I started organizing the Wikia, I created a structured Home Page with spaces for links to other smaller sub groups and such and began to add a few of those. Now it should be pretty easy for everyone to just write in a page or two and have it all fairly well organized. Just remember to create links to your page so that it can be accessed from the home page.

Back
Top Bottom