Tutorial 3D Animation Adding a new weapon + Vertex Animation

Was this useful for you?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Yes, but some things remained unclear (tell me)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • No! (why not?)

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey,

because of the many questions appearing the last days about how to add items to Mount&Blade Warband, I made a small tutorial about it. (WIP)

For the tutorial about how to make a vertex animation, go to post two.

English isn't my first language, so please excuse any mistakes :smile:

The Tutorial is devided in 4 parts:

1. Modelling
    To add items to the game, you have to create them!
2. Texturing
    A mesh without a texture is quiet boring...
3. Creating a .brf file
    In a .brf file you save your mesh and assign the texture an a material to it
4. Modul System
    You have to give the game the information to load the mesh and the texture

This tutorial is not about modelling or texturing, you will find links to extern tutorials for that. It is mainly about adding a textured mesh to the game. For weapons like bows, x-bows and shields, it's necessary to create a vertex animation. It's not part of the tutorial yet, but I'm planning to add it later. Same with normal (bump) and specular maps.

1. Modelling:
If you want to create your own weapon/armour/house or whatever, Blender is a great free to use software.
Blender:  https://www.blender.org/

Check this tutorial, it contains the basics of modelling and texturing. I know it’s quiet long and you might not want to create a T-Rex but the time you need is worth it.
Tutorial: http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/modeling-uvmapping-and-texturing-a-low-poly-t-rex-in-blender-part-1--cg-12763

2. Texture:
For creating textures, GIMP is a good choice:
https://www.gimp.org/

GIMP is not able to save your texture as .dds file, so you have to install a plugin.
GIMP-dds: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/

Everything done? Great, let's go on  :party:

3. Create a .brf file
Download OpenBrf. You find it here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,72279.0.html
With this programm you are able to open the games resource files (meshes, materials, textures).

If you created a mesh in Blender, for example a sword, next thing to do is to scale it to the correct size. In OpenBrf click „File -> Open“ and go to „Mount&Blade Warband\CommonRes“. Every mesh used by the game is saved here. For your sword search for „weapon_meshes_c“ and open it. OpenBrf should look like this:

Now you have to look for a sword that fits your own one, for example: sword_medieval_a.
Right click on it and „Export static mesh…“. Save the mesh somewhere. Open your selfmade weapon in Blender and click on „File -> Import -> Wavefront (.obj)“ and open the „sword_medieval_a“. Scale and rotate your own sword until it fits the size of the sword_medieval_a. Most important is the hilt oft he sword. You dont want your soldiers to grab it at the blade. If you are done, delete the importet medieval sword. Next step is to export you own one: „File -> Export -> Wavefront (.obj)“. Save it somewhere where you find it. I will name it „my_sword.obj“

IMPORTANT: Do not use CAPS for any filenames. It may cause errors later.

Open your texture with GIMP. „File -> Export As…“. In the new window at the bottom click at „Select File Type“, scroll down and choose  „DDS image“. Save it in your modules texture folder. With clicking on „Export“, a new window pops up. Just click „OK“.
Open OpenBrf, go to „Import -> Static mesh…“ and open your exportet mesh from Blender („my_sword.obj“). It should look like this now:

(I dont have a sword atm, so i used this axe. Use your imagination :wink: )

Next important thing is to change the module in OpenBrf from „Native“ to your own one.
„Module -> Change current Module…“ and choose yours (Mount&Blade Warband/Modules/Your Module). The bottom right should has changed to „Your Module“.
Now you are ready to Import your texture:
„Import -> New Texture…“. Click on „Browse“, go to your modules texture folder and open your texture. The texture should show up in OpenBrf:

Next step is to import a new material. Click on „Import -> New Material…“. Change the name to anything you want, for example: „my_sword_material“ and click on „OK“.

This should show up:

Enter the name of your texture in the red marked field. In my example it's „my_sword_texture“. The blue and white checked pattern should be replaced by your texture.
Go to your mesh and enter your materials name („my_sword_material“) in the red marked field:

If you have done everything correctly your sword should get a texture:

Now click on „File -> Save As…“, go to your modules Resource folder (Mount&Blade Warband/Modules/Your Module/Resource) and save it as „.brf“. I named it „my_sword.brf“.
Close OpenBrf, you don’t need it anymore.

4. Module System:
The Next step is to make sure, that the game loads your mesh and texture.
For this, you have to install the Module System for Warband. You find anything you need for this here:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,5408.0.html

When you are done, go to the Module System, open „module_info“ and add „scan_module_textures = 1“ at the end.

Save it.

Now go to your Module scroll down and open „module.ini“. Search for  „#You can also use load_mod_resource instead of load_resource to make sure you are reading files from module directory.“ and add „load_mod_resource = my_sword“ below it.

Save it.

Go to the Module System and open „module_items“. Every item used by the game is listed here. Your task is to find one, that is similar to your selfmade one. For our sword search for „sword_medieval_a“. Copy the whole line and paste it just below.

Change the red ones to „my_sword“. The blue one is the name shown ingame. Choose any name you want, for example „Witch Killer“.
Now save it and close everything.

The moment of truth has come. Go to the Module System and run „build_module.bat“. If no errors appear, congratulations! Your weapon is now ingame, and you can buy it from merchants.  :party:

If you want to edit the attributes of your weapon or want to give it to troops, download „Morghs M&B WB-WFAS Editor“.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,105928.0.html

It is a simple to use tool. Just try.

Thanks for reading and please leave a comment :smile:

How to make a Vertex Animation

Vertex Animations are used by the game to bent bows and crossbows while shooting, or to move the strap of a shield, when putting it on your back. If you have basic skills in 3D modelling, it’s pretty easy.

You need:

- OpenBrf
- a 3D-modelling software

Regardless of wether you want to do it for a shield or a bow or whatever, the steps are almost the same.

OpenBrf is able to combine different meshes to a vertex animation in just a few clicks.
You start by opening a mesh with vertex ani in OpenBrf which is similar to your own one, for example, a bow.

Now, right click on it and “separate all frames”.

As you can see, frame0, frame1 and frame4 are similar. Only frame2 (half bent), and frame3 (bent) are different. And this is what you have to do with your own bow. Go to your 3d software, import frame2 and move and scale your bow, until it looks the same. Save it and repeat it with frame3.
Important: The point, where you grab the bowstring, has to be at the exact same place! (Actually I’m not even sure about it… but I think so :wink: )

Export the three models (normal, half bent, bent) as .obj and import them in OpenBrf.

Now duplicate the normal one two times and put the five meshes in this order:

Normal
Normal
Half bent
Bent
Normal

Select all, right click and “merge as frames in a vertex ani”. There should be one mesh now, but it’s vertex animated :party:

Last thing:

You have to change the “Time of frame” for every frame. Just look at the bows from Native and copy the values.

For a bow they are:

Frame0 = 0
Frame1 = 0
Frame2 = 43
Frame3 = 100
Frame4 = 200

After that, you’re done. I hope it was helpful for you 

Nice! thanks mate! I just need to learn how to make textures now since I already know how to make models, any good tutorial for texturing?
Edit: Wait! what about the UV map????
Edit again: Nvm

Why am I getting this?:
http://prntscr.com/cdzrs1

for that:
http://prntscr.com/cdzs4h

the hell?

Edit: I fixed it, but the hell? all the pictures disappered from the tutorial

I know Im TOOO late, but yea i see them know

Edit:Also, can you please tell me how to animate new added body armor?

lordmuda said:
add fire or lightning animation to a sword

look at how a torch works and go from there

Code:
["torch",         "Torches", [("wooden_stick",0)], itp_type_one_handed_wpn |itp_primary | itp_force_attach_left_hand , 0,
 41 , weight(5)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(99) | shoot_speed(20) | thrust_damage(15,blunt)|max_ammo(5)|weapon_length(53),imodbits_none,
 [
     (ti_on_init_item, [
         (set_position_delta,0,60,0),
         (particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_fire"),
         (particle_system_add_new, "psys_torch_smoke"),
         (set_current_color,150*1.5, 130*1.5, 70*1.5),
         (add_point_light, 10, 30),
     ]),
 ]],
example above. Look at the trigger code to see how the effects (particles) are used.

I'm trying to add beserkers to my native mod. I've imported the new viking conquest male body to my native resource folder but how do I assign the new skin to the troop?

Andre__ said:
I'm trying to add beserkers to my native mod. I've imported the new viking conquest male body to my native resource folder but how do I assign the new skin to the troop?
Basically like you would add a new race, only that you replace an already existing one
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,42860.0.html

One thing I’d like to add to the awesome tutorial is. When you are trying to combine your vertex animations using BRF Edit, make sure you place  your frames in this order before combining:
_frame0
_frame1
_frame2
_ETC.....
Otherwise your frames can combine strangely. I had to learn this the hard way. Just FYI

Back
Top Bottom