Let's Play - Prophesy of Pendor - Mettenheim Style!

Users who are viewing this thread

Been watching your videos and i've liked both of your play throughs of EU4 and MnB. I do have a question though regarding companions, do you have a compiled list of which companions like other companions? I always muck myself up by getting a companion that ends up costing a lot, then not liking everyone else.

Ive tried to look through the forums to a list to no avail. I may just be blind.

i must say, you do a great job with your Mettenheim playstyle, i wonder how it will end.
In my Game arround day 100, Sarleon allready took like half of the map for themselfs... the Fierdsvain are down to only 2 cities, everything else is gone somehow they refuse to die out cause at day 300 they are still there.( I wonder what is the best way to stop this onslaught of them)
I am curious if your Sarleon will go nuts as mine and take over the map ^^

The worst insult is it, to get knocked unconsious in a village battle by a random stone =D

But does it happen on your end to, that your soldiers sometimes just refuse to listen to you? ^^

Thanks, appreciate the kind words :grin:

You can fix soldiers not listening to you by having your men charge, that will break the formation which I believe is what causes the issues. After that issue orders as usual.

So far a really interesting watch. Personally, I have never played in an infantry style for long, but you do make it look kind of fun. I think the longest actually was for this Vanskerry character "Fjallmurn Scorchsail", who ended up becoming a character in the Singal based Eventide event, don't know whether you remember that one. The nostalgia and nice anecdotes of course add to the enjoyment.

Have you actually seen Freddy since you started playing again? I noticed that several of the companions have completely different faces than to what I remember. So you might be in for a nasty surprise if Freddy doesn't actually have a mustache any longer. You have been warned :wink:.

Once I played campaign as heavy footman(siege xbow + veteran polehammer) recruiting only xbowmen, archers, shielders and horse archers(mainly adventurers...). Very challenging, quite satisfying but boring in long run.
I find footman-style gameplay too much time consuming, because of all the battle positioning planning and tactics, and too limited because of being depended on enemy initiative. Good luck with Jatu, Noldor, or even Sarleon heavy cavalry or the worst thing: big xbow-based armies - it's like one tercio against another, shooting 10 minutes...

HUtH said:
Once I played campaign as heavy footman(siege xbow + veteran polehammer) recruiting only xbowmen, archers, shielders and horse archers(mainly adventurers...). Very challenging, quite satisfying but boring in long run.
I find footman-style gameplay too much time consuming, because of all the battle positioning planning and tactics, and too limited because of being depended on enemy initiative. Good luck with Jatu, Noldor, or even Sarleon heavy cavalry or the worst thing: big xbow-based armies - it's like one tercio against another, shooting 10 minutes...

Cavalry is probably the easiest enemy for an all-infantry army, have a bunch of Sarleon Halbardiers with some Sarleon MAA and let the Jatu charge right into your shieldwall...lots of dead Jatu.

Archer-based armies (xbow or bow) are simply advanced upon in close formation and slaughtered easily.

Noldors are heavy ofc, but which army fights Noldor without a problem?

Most important thing in an all-infantry army is to always keep the formation close and only charge if you already won, otherwise those small footman-groups chasing cav will be killed one by one.

b34bb_H said:
Cavalry is probably the easiest enemy for an all-infantry army, have a bunch of Sarleon Halbardiers with some Sarleon MAA and let the Jatu charge right into your shieldwall...lots of dead Jatu.
If your troops are good positioned. And most importantly if you have enough of heavy troops to take massive charge of lancers even weakened by shooters. And have enough patience to stand and trying to shoot down the last horse archers...
Generally as a footmen army you are limited to standing, shooting and thinking about good positioning all the time. Too much Total War for me :razz: And your character levels much slower.
Though I have fun in much earlier PoP version playing as Empire, they were more depended on foot and throwing weapons than now, so role playing a legionary was cool, first line action all the time, I might try it again, but for fun and role play, because it require a steady flow of new recruits..... heh :smile:

That's why I had a bunch of horse shooters(motly companions, so less recruiting for this most exposed unit), they're great for luring and drawing away charging cavalry to the right from your perspective, so they show their right, not shielded side, and your first line is quite safe from charge damage. But... thats so much tactics and time. Why not using massive heavy horse archers/lancers army to hit-and-run or blitz everyone with some heavy shooters+halberdiers regiment just for fire support.

I see this "medieval" warfare in PoP as scaled down battles from much newer times. So: the longer distance the better, and speed is equally important as armor. That's why Hero Adventurers are ultimate killing machines, if mounted knights are tanks, they're like helicopters.

BTW these new Pendor Black Archers are a very very bad guys, devastating.

Deckenpuppel said:
So far a really interesting watch...

I haven't seen Freddy at all. You're making me nervous now...

HUtH said:
Once I played campaign as heavy footman...

Some of it can take some time, and if the setups begin to take too long I'll start editing those out (or rather speeding them up. Not sure if its the next video to release or the one after, but there is a siege in it, and I do speed up the slow walk to the walls with the siege tower. Software is a little tough to work with for editing, but I am sure I will get it sorted.

b34bb_H said:
Most important thing in an all-infantry army is to always keep the formation close and only charge if you already won, otherwise those small footman-groups chasing cav will be killed one by one.

That right there is the key point to the Mettenheim style (or any infantry centric) playthrough. We've not yet got into the big lord on lord fights, but that's when you will begin to see tactics and terrain really begin to shine.

HUtH said:
If your troops are good positioned. And most importantly if you have enough of heavy troops to take massive charge of lancers even weakened by shooters. And have enough patience to stand and trying to shoot down the last horse archers...

BTW these new Pendor Black Archers are a very very bad guys, devastating.

My favourite playthrough thus far has been with an archer character, a close 2nd in the horse archer. The combat then is so much more visceral, and you can really get that feeling of being a godlike warrior on the battlefield. I had considered playing like that; the ability to do amazing shots and generally be more of a bad ass is appealing, but ultimately I settled on the more unique (and harder) Mettenheim experience. I might still bring a crossbow to sieges, because right now they are pretty freaking boring. We'll see.

I've seen Pendor blacks mentioned a couple of times now, not seen them in action yet though!

M0rdred said:
I haven't seen Freddy at all. You're making me nervous now...

Had a look at him by now. He still looks the same. Kind of makes me wonder why Jocelyn and Roland, as well as some of the ladies (by which I mean the none "pretty" ones) look so different right now.

So no worries, the mustache wasn't lost :wink:.

Only problem with all infantry is they get owned by good archers. Especially Mettenheim with no shields (unless you have the yellow guys). The Fierds kinda get destroyed by Ravenstern now. At least thus far (day 100) that has been the case. I also think the Fierd lords had their specials nerfed a bit, especially Redsword with the queens...well, not sure what they're called. The adventurers were way better.

I believe when you assign units to a group like infantry/cavalry, it makes every unit in the game behave as such, even in other parties so you'll see cavalry units you assinged as infantry group with infantry (so I believe).

I avoid doing that much as possible, concerning your unit assigning to infantry.

MitchyMatt said:
I believe when you assign units to a group like infantry/cavalry, it makes every unit in the game behave as such, even in other parties so you'll see cavalry units you assinged as infantry group with infantry (so I believe).

I avoid doing that much as possible, concerning your unit assigning to infantry.

Ugh, seriously? That's a pretty major screw up!

Back
Top Bottom