[WNL5] Closing Thoughts and Thank Yous

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for another great tournament! I hope it will keep getting better :party:

To all the flamers: Don't annoy anyone involved, appreciate the great work of all the people behind this tournament! Thank you for this WNL!

Thanks for yet another great WNL. Appreciating all the work that has gone into this.

My first Warband competition and although i was only in it for 4 weeks it was still really fun :smile:
Look forward to Nations cup next year  :party: :party: :party:
Congrats to AE :razz:

Congratz AE, IR, Unity and all the other teams.

This was might be the most excited WNL so far. Noone was sure who might make its way to the knockouts and then the finals. Thanks admins, refs, streamers, sponsors and the players. Great work here. :smile:

GG;WP to all teams who competed in the tournament.

I'd like to echo the sentiments of the OP, it was great to see so many teams sign up but also to stick around, keep playing and keep having fun. It's the players & teams who make the tournament what it is, so thank you. Also, I too hope to see the discussion regarding map pool and the balancing of some factions, which has already been started by Azan, continue and hopefully be productive.

Thanks to the admins for doing a great job with this tournament.

Congrats to the top 3 teams: AE, IR and Unity. You all played really well.

On a personal note, thanks to the community for the great support for our streams. Thanks for helping us to improve with your suggestions, thanks for getting involved, be it on Twitter, the stream chat, or simply by watching. We've really appreciated all the support we've received. Never fear loyal fans, we'll continue to stream!

Hopkiin said:
Thanks to my lovely team.
In that team even losing is huge fun  :oops:  :mrgreen:
Thanks to all admins, streamers, teams and my grandmum for the great tournament it was sick fun  :!: :!:
#IRfamily #Thanks #NeverGiveUP

Simo Häyhä said:
This was might be the most excited WNL so far. Noone was sure who might make its way to the knockouts and then the finals.

This. I'd also like to thank everyone involved (including players, referees, streamers, admins and many others like our artists). I had a lot of fun during this season. Hope to see all of you in next WNLs (or BNLs  :lol:) and maybe ECS or WPLs ( :party:).

Some suggestions for next season:

1) Last season in the regular season (group stage) AE and Kurwa played three times. If you want the same teams playing each other so early in the tournament multiple times, then
make divisions. It doesnt make much sense to put all teams in one league as long as most teams dont even get to play each other once.

2) Team(s) with an amazing 5-1-2 record missed the knockout-stage. Teams winning most of their matches should play in the post season. I dont know the English word for Achtelfinale, its just one stage before quarter finals, with 16 teams instead of just 8. If you think thats too many teams, then at least make the regular season longer so that we dont end up with several teams with pretty much the same record, some proceed to the post season and for some its already over.

3) In post season (knock-out stage) you used single elimination. Every team can have a bad night, so a best of 5/ ft3, or at very least a best of 3/ft2 would be much better.

4) Make member limits for teams. Encourage players to try to win as the guy with their team, instead of wasting their entire career on the bench.

moreclutch said:
1) Last season in the regular season (group stage) AE and Kurwa played three times. If you want the same teams playing each other so early in the tournament multiple times, then
make divisions. It doesnt make much sense to put all teams in one league as long as most teams dont even get to play each other once.

2) Team(s) with an amazing 5-1-2 record missed the knockout-stage. Teams winning most of their matches should play in the post season. I dont know the English word for Achtelfinale, its just one stage before quarter finals, with 16 teams instead of just 8. If you think thats too many teams, then at least make the regular season longer so that we dont end up with several teams with pretty much the same record, some proceed to the post season and for some its already over.

3) In post season (knock-out stage) you used single elimination. Every team can have a bad night, so a best of 5/ ft3, or at very least a best of 3/ft2 would be much better.
I agree with these. Especially with number three. For a while now, two maps have seemed insufficient to me to determine a winner between the top teams.

The aim wasn't to make them fight eachothers so many times. It happenned by the way of things, because nobody dared to pick them. We were clearly helpess during the tournament because changing the rules would have made many people complaining but make sure we (or the next admin team) will be working on that to not let this happen again. Division has been implanted for two or three of the season of the WNL but it wasn't the idea for the last one. I'd rather prefer fixing that problem we got with KURWA/AE rematchs that to make Divisions but again, it will be to the admin team taking care of such a choice.

2) Team(s) with an amazing 5-1-2 record missed the knockout-stage. Teams winning most of their matches should play in the post season. I dont know the English word for Achtelfinale, its just one stage before quarter finals, with 16 teams instead of just 8. If you think thats too many teams, then at least make the regular season longer so that we dont end up with several teams with pretty much the same record, some proceed to the post season and for some its already over

Mainly due to KURWA being a trouble of missing the Knockout stage if they hadn't win vs AE during their last confrontation, we also considered this problem but for the same reasons than the previous point you raised, we were unable to do anything while the tournament was on-going. If we are hosting the next WNL on the same format, that's also something we'll most likely consider.

Same as LeRoux, I would love to have such a system which is equivalent to CSGO one that I do like a lot. A best of 5 is way too long, since we're not even semi-professional players, however, a best of 3 seems like a good idea. You wouldn't count the rounds won, but the maps won, which makes way more sense to my eyes. The main issue would still remain the same for some people, aka the time you agree to give to gaming. Two maps can sometimes lead to one hour and half of game. Three maps, with break inclued cause if we play 3 maps we must consider some breaks between, will lead to probably 2h30 of gaming. For some people it's too much. I still think it's doable so I will keep that in minds but I can already see people complaining about it.

4) Make member limits for teams. Encourage players to try to win as the guy with their team, instead of wasting their entire career on the bench.

From all of your points, this one is clearly the most controversial so I will purposly avoid answering it and will keep it for later if necessary.

Thanks for taking the time raising those ideas.

Well, we can keep bo3 for some important matches. Like finals or something. I mean, if you have gotten it into the finals you can't be playing 1 hour per week so the time shouldn't be really a harmful factor.

This is a useful discussion and remember constructive suggestions are more useful than simply stating what you think is wrong.  The WNL has had format changes in the past and the structure for WNL5 was trying to solve problems from previous tournaments.

(1) As Tardet says that was a function of no other teams wanting to pick the top 2.  The problem is that most solutions have already been tried and have their own problems.  One suggestion was that the last 4 teams unpicked cannot choose so that a match from the last week is replayed.  This would have prevented the week 7 (3rd) AEvK match.

(2) Well the longer the WNL season the less time for other tournaments. The scoring system could be improved I think but, in general, just looking at wins is not the whole picture as teams that played less skilled teams will have more wins.  Since the higher level teams end up playing each other they are less likely to have the same number of wins but that should not remove them from the KO stage.  Remember the KO stage was introduced to solve anomalies at the top of the table at the end of the ladder.

(3)LR has been suggesting a change to this for some time.  We do have to consider that we cannot make matches too long. Let’s remember that not only do players have a RL (and many are young and have school the next day) but that we play across a number of time zones so a reasonable time for some players is very late for others.  There may be a compromise solution.  Forcing teams to schedule in good time and to stick to the time limits would be helpful (but unpopular with some teams).

(4)Member limits for teams doesn’t really help.  If a player thinks they will be benched in their current team and is unhappy with that they are free to leave and find a new team.  If they would rather be benched but remain in that team why shouldn’t they make that choice?  Remember not all players can be available every weekend and teams with less available players (and less versatile players) need to have a larger playerbase to field a team for each match.  Having no limit allows players who cannot commit so much time to Warband to participate.  I am for allowing players to make their own choices.

Silvernj said:
Well, we can keep bo3 for some important matches. Like finals or something. I mean, if you have gotten it into the finals you can't be playing 1 hour per week so the time shouldn't be really a harmful factor.

Sounds interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom