SP Dark Ages [VC] Sword and Shield - A Mount and Blade Warband Viking conquest Overhaul

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kale3

Regular
TLDR Version: It's back! The mod has been rebuilt from the ground up, Changes to balance and realism have been made, this mod also tries to get rid of a lot of inconsistencies that Viking Conquest has. Version1 of Sword & Shield was pretty easy, in this version I've changed it for more realism, accuracy, and of course balance. The cost of weapons, horses, armor, etc. has also been overhauled. The description on the nexus page has been re-written, now with 0.001% better grammar!

EVERYONE THIS MOD IS BROKEN WITHOUT VC VER. 2.021!!!!! The new update has broken it, I'm unable to work out a fix because my steam account was hacked or lost (call me a liar, but I'm friggin serious!!!!) and I haven't gotten a reply from steam support yet.

Update 2.2- Player no longer starts with OP stats. Villages are now defended by spearmen and archers... So prepare for a fight when raiding. SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE!

THIS MOD IS NOT SAVEGAME COMPATIBLE!!! REQUIRES A NEW GAME TO WORK!!!

This taleworlds description is pasted from Nexus mods, download the file there! http://www.nexusmods.com/mbwarband/mods/6058/?

Installation

Main Files- To install: Go to your VC module directory usually C:-program files (32 bit) program files x86 (for 64 bit PC's)-Steam-Steamapps-common-MountBlade Warband-Modules-Viking conquest,
Then replace the files with my own, overwrite if asked. If the install instructions are unclear, feel free to message me and I will explain in detail. A readme is included with the same instructions.

Music replacer- Go to your VC Directory, if you do not know where this is please look at the main files readme. Delete the music folder in the VC directory, replace with mine
and replace the music.txt with the sword and shield one. A readme with the same instructions is included.

I take suggestions and constructive criticism, BUT NOT REQUEST FOR NEW FEATURES OR SCRIPTS!!!

Designed around VC version 2.021

Long Description

The weapon and Armor changes

Seaxes- More piercing damage, historically seaxes and daggers had armor piercing potential. How? Because you could find holes, weak points, and eye sockets to stab. Stick them with the pointy end!

Swords- Expensive weapons, affordable to nobles and high tier soldiers such as a huskarl. In my overhaul they do a bit more damage than vanilla and have a bit more piercing capability. Still better than axes.

Axes- Like the Ak-47 of viking times, axes are reliable but not as capable as swords, axes make a great secondary weapon for an archer, javelinman, or a spearman. However, if your looking for something that can tear through armor and invoke fear into those weak saxons, than look no further than a Two Handed Axe. Two handed axes now do pierce damage, and have high damages, as historically a powerful axe could even tear through mail if used by a warrior who knows what he is doing. Now kill those heathens!

Spears- A renowned weapon on the field of arms, used all through out the middle ages, dark ages, stone ages, and ancient times for a reason. Spears were dominant weapons at this time, they now have more damage piercing damage, in short, your not like to survive an overhead spear thrust into the head.

Shields- A shield was a soldiers armor at this time period. Battles were fought in the shield wall as most soldiers couldn't afford great armor. There's not much changes for shields, except price changes.

Tunics and small clothes- Tis almost harvesting season! Unlike in the first version of this overhaul, tunics still give armor as in vanilla VC, I've made this tweak as battles last longer with it. Small clothes only cost 10-70 penningas, as no peasant would buy a 300$ tunic, that's like me going to target and buying a 300$ shirt! Same deal with gloves and boots. Now enough talking and more raiding!

Gambesons, or is it Gambersons?- Affordable to mercenaries and higher tier troops, gambesons have only had changes to their price in this version.

Mail- Mail, not chain mail everyone. Mail has only had changes in prices really, it's pretty friggin expensive so be careful not to go bankrupt.

That's mostly it for weapons and Armor.

Troops

"Please m'lord, spare a some gold, I'm just a poor veteran infantryman." Troops have some major changes, so we'll start with peasants.

Peasants- These filthy plebeians are what gets armies started, peasants no longer have a 16 strength, I mean really Brytenwalda devs? Anyways, they have the same stats as the nord recruits in native, on the plus side they carry shields and spears, because if people in the stone age could make spears, I think peasants in 800 A.D. can too. They carry shield for balance, not necessarily realistic, but more balanced. They also no longer carry those useless slings.

Tier 1,2, and 3 troops- You know what these guys have in common? They don't carry armor or helmets anymore, they wear simple tunics, most soldiers at the time were as poor as homeless people in America, this **** just doesn't change. Anyways they no longer carry seaxes or slings, and carry axes and javelins in their stead, remember, a vikings shield is his armor.

Tier 4 and 5 troops- Tier 4 troops have gambesons and high level weapons and helmets. Tier 5 units have the best gear, mostly since they're huscarls and nobles.

Mercenaries- Ruthless and deadly soldiers, they carry gambesons and the higher quality ones carry mail. The acquantian skirms are renamed to swordsmen, and carry great weapons and armor. Spearmen replaced with a unit called axemen, I think you get the Idea.

Tweaks

You no longer automatically retreat from a siege battle when you fall in a siege.

Village recruits are based off their faction, not the territory anymore.

You know have a 50/50 chance of enemy lords escaping after battle.

You know have a 50/50 chance of capturing a ship after a naval battle, they still remained damaged after the battle like in vanilla VC.

100 base morale, because I got tired of my men acting like children.

You wife cannot cheat on you anymore.

There's most likely some other minor tweaks I made, but these are the main ones.

Music

This mod includes choice music from the VIkings TV show (mostly used for battle music) Game of Thrones TV show (travel music) and various music artist on youtube. I really recommend the music portion! I DO NOT OWN OR CLAIM CREDIT OVER ANY OF THE SONGS OR MUSIC!!!!!

CREDIT: Credit to Kraggrim over at the taleworlds forum, for showing the VC community how to tweak the game. Credit to various music artists on youtube, Trevor Morris, Fever Ray, and Ramin Djawadi. Credit to Der kopfsammler for his how to replace music in Viking conquest guide, Credit to the awesome WB community and VC community, Credit to mourgh for making Mourghs item editor which made this mod possible. Credit to the Brytenwalda team for making this awesome DLC, and the awesome mod, Brytenwalda.

PERMISSION: Feel free to mod this mod to your hearts desire, you will need mourghs editor and some knowledge of VC's txt files. Just if you upload it be sure to give me credit.

Congratulations on your mod sir....i will try it when i finish The last days of Middle Earth
I agree with most of your changes (the big exception is the gloves...they should give armor), if you plan to continue with further improvements i suggest  you do something about religion....converting is a time comsuming task with no real reward in this game, already suggested that fiefs converted to paganism should give norse troops instead of its original troops, dont know if its possible but i'm sure the old gods will be pleased  :party:

Yeah, I would like to do something like that but I don't have much experience in scripting or changing code, most of the tweaks in my mod are from Kraggrims tweak guide. As far as the gloves go I found it unrealistic that they can someone how protect you from a sword cut, I may make an optional file to where they give a 5 or so plus for armor, but as of now they are there so you can be a stylish viking  :smile:.

Laizenbh said:
Congratulations on your mod sir....i will try it when i finish The last days of Middle Earth
I agree with most of your changes (the big exception is the gloves...they should give armor), if you plan to continue with further improvements i suggest  you do something about religion....converting is a time comsuming task with no real reward in this game, already suggested that fiefs converted to paganism should give norse troops instead of its original troops, dont know if its possible but i'm sure the old gods will be pleased  :party:
Ok, just added two new optional files, one that gives gloves +8 body armor, and one that gives all units gloves. They don't conflict as the +8 body armor one is and item kinds file while the units one is troops. txt.

nice, loved the features of the mod, VC is amazing but sometimes it can be just frustating on the balancing side

*A side effect of changing helm stats is that there is no longer helmed hair, it sucks yeah, but you get used to it.

is there some way that this can be fixed?

vonbalt said:
nice, loved the features of the mod, VC is amazing but sometimes it can be just frustating on the balancing side

*A side effect of changing helm stats is that there is no longer helmed hair, it sucks yeah, but you get used to it.

I'll look into it, it's a bummer they don't show hair. It's either mesh related or something with a script or tag. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Kale3 said:
vonbalt said:

I'll look into it, it's a bummer they don't show hair. It's either mesh related or something with a script or tag. I'll see if I can figure it out.
Well, I found a way but unfortunately there is hell of alot of clipping. I'll keep looking into and see if there is a way to fix.

Kale3 said:

Hmm, did you use morgh's to change the helm prices? It might be that it doesn't account for whatever change the VC team have implemented for hair+helms. Try copy and pasting the helm block from a clean items file over your modified one, see if it goes back to normal. If it does then copy through and just edit the prices manually (should be easy to spot in the text file).

kraggrim said:
Kale3 said:

Hmm, did you use morgh's to change the helm prices? It might be that it doesn't account for whatever change the VC team have implemented for hair+helms. Try copy and pasting the helm block from a clean items file over your modified one, see if it goes back to normal. If it does then copy through and just edit the prices manually (should be easy to spot in the text file).

Yeah I did use morgh's item editor, I'll look into it. Thanks for the help man.

Kale3 said:
kraggrim said:
Kale3 said:

Yeah I did use morgh's item editor, I'll look into it. Thanks for the help man.

You were right, there was a changed code in item kinds, so I changed it back to the vanilla. Helms are still the same as they are in my mod, but now they show hair! :party:

vonbalt said:

Yep, I fixed it.  :party:

Kale3 said:
JuJu70 said:
this mod vastly improves the horrible balancing and realism issues of Viking Conquest

LOL, that's quite a statement  :roll: More like castrates :razz:

Alright, I changed it to say "Improves balance". :smile:

Hardly improves it, more like unbalances (cheaper weapons and more loot), I would call it an Easy Fantasy Viking mod, but, hey, whatever rocks your boat

JuJu70 said:
Kale3 said:
JuJu70 said:
this mod vastly improves the horrible balancing and realism issues of Viking Conquest

Hardly improves it, more like unbalances (cheaper weapons and more loot), I would call it an Easy Fantasy Viking mod, but, hey, whatever rocks your boat

I find myself agreeing with you, but even you have to admit he brings up a good point on the spears.

Is there something you can do about; going Viking on a couple monasteries and in a matter of days every Christian kingdom from Alban to Wessex to Connachta to Gwynedd hates you? I mean how could Wessex possibly hear about monasteries I've been raiding in Alban and Northern Ireland?!

JuJu70 said:
Kale3 said:
JuJu70 said:

I don't mean to start a debate, but this in no way improves loot, in fact loot gold (when selling loot to merchants) is severely reduced from vanilla VC. Cheaper weapons? No I'd say realistic weapons, this is in no way fantastical, if an axe costed 1400 penningas or so no one would have bought them, the weapon prices are pretty much the same as native I never heard anyone saying native was highly fantastical and easy. Easy? No. Unlike vanilla VC, to where someone using mail is automatically a demi God, in this mod while mail might save 3 or maybe even 4 hits, it won't save you a lot. Most people don't even buy gear, mail still doesn't appear on merchants a lot. You tend to get your gear from fallen enemies. I've played this mod for 60 hours and your army will be destroyed if you don't use tactics, on my vanilla playthrough of VC I was able to conquer the map. I found just charging the enemy more effective than using a shield wall, if I do that in this, well then I'm dead. Also I'm assuming you haven't played the mod. Play the mod before you call it Easy Fantasy Viking mod.

QWW said:
JuJu70 said:
Kale3 said:
JuJu70 said:

I find myself agreeing with you, but even you have to admit he brings up a good point on the spears.

Spears were dominant weapons in viking times, the AI still doesn't use them right, but they ARE effective with them. Honestly I still find my sword better but spears are great, but only at a distance. I reckon I wouldn't survive a spear to back if I was just wearing a tunic.

The Onion Knight said:
Is there something you can do about; going Viking on a couple monasteries and in a matter of days every Christian kingdom from Alban to Wessex to Connachta to Gwynedd hates you? I mean how could Wessex possibly hear about monasteries I've been raiding in Alban and Northern Ireland?!

I think there is a way, I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom