Unofficial Troop Editor 1.9 for troops.txt file

Users who are viewing this thread

BlizzarD! said:
But I'm not using Vista ^^ ...
A friend of mine downloaded it too and it works for him ...

Download the zip file again, I just updated it, let me know if that works.

The COMDLG32 error is a fairly common Windows one and means you don't have "Windows Common Dialog Controls" install/registered correctly.  I just put an updated version of the zip file and included COMDLG32.dll and COMDLG32.ocx in the folder.  I also created a TroopEditor.exe.local file which may help Windows use these files.  If this still doesn't work you can try manually registering them (see the README.doc for instructions) or I can create an installation package with all the required files.

Thank you kindly for this. Now I can mess my game, or something. I don't know, I don't even mod. Yet.

EDIT: Heh, typical. I got an error right of the bat. All I did was try to change the names of the Manhunter trooptree.

Name 1: Low_Ranked_Slaver
Name 2: Low_Ranked_Slavers
-> Update Troop

" Error #13: Type mismatch "

It worked when I changed only Name 1, so what now?

EDIT 2: Forgot Winblows version. Win XP SP2.

TRC said:
Thank you kindly for this. Now I can mess my game, or something. I don't know, I don't even mod. Yet.

EDIT: Heh, typical. I got an error right of the bat. All I did was try to change the names of the Manhunter trooptree.

Name 1: Low_Ranked_Slaver
Name 2: Low_Ranked_Slavers
-> Update Troop

" Error #13: Type mismatch "

It worked when I changed only Name 1, so what now?

EDIT 2: Forgot Winblows version. Win XP SP2.

congrats, you may have found the first bug!  :wink:  This worked for me when I tried it.  However, I did get an "error 13 type mismatch" error if I did the following:
1) originally had a blank space in the name, then clicked updated troops (it worked)
2) then tried to switch the blank space to an "_", clicked updated troops (got an error 13)

I wonder if something like this happened?  Let me know if you are able to replicate this again and I'll see if I can release an updated version that checks for blank space.

This is the only topic I have found about editing the faces but I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it works... If anybody has more details let me know.
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,1693.0.html

Very nice find, HokieBT, I had not found this in my previous searches.  I was able to replicate the first set of face code on the last line of a hero like Rolf which is 820224 in native (529 in the example with Borcha from 2005) and successfully apply it to troops (leaving all other code on the same line the same) - but careful in applying this to kings and knights, as some of them have 7 digit code instead of 6 like Rolf, and will produce a game error if you mess with the number of digits in total.  I suspect that the codes themselves changed since 2005 (Rolf is dark skinned, for example, and the "2" in 820224 is not dark skin) but if you place "820" or "819" and leave the remaining 3 digits untouched after that, then you get a dark face.  I know that it is not the "8" since some hero's have an "8" in the beginning with light colored faces.  Might be the range of the second and third numbers "20" or "19" not sure...hope this helps.

I tried Low-Rank_Slaver first, but it seems to work with those now, even if I update in between.

After putting a space there and changing it to anything it would seem that the error arrives.

TRC said:
I tried Low-Rank_Slaver first, but it seems to work with those now, even if I update in between.

After putting a space there and changing it to anything it would seem that the error arrives.
HokieBT,

You should probably do validation on the name fields and replace " " with "_".  I had to do this with my editor, otherwise a space in the name would fool my editor the next time I tried to split that particular line into variables; everything was off by how many spaces they put in the name.

jordan said:
HokieBT,

You should probably do validation on the name fields and replace " " with "_".  I had to do this with my editor, otherwise a space in the name would fool my editor the next time I tried to split that particular line into variables; everything was off by how many spaces they put in the name.

yeah, good point, that looks to be what is happening with my program.  I'll modify this and try to release a new version in the next day or so.  Technically the same thing may happen if somebody deleted a number (ie. proficiency or skill, etc) so I may try to do data validation on those fields as well.....

EDIT:  released in version 1.2

Stone said:
Most excellent tool, thanks so much for sharing.

I assume that the Troop file also contains the range of face codes used....how can I determine which are the face codes when I open the Troop file in Notepad?  I would like to assign the same range of face codes for all the troops in a specific faction, and different range of codes for another faction, etc.

It took me a little while but I finally figured out how to edit the troop faces.  I just released version 1.2 for anybody who is interested.  Let me know if there are any issues or comments!

the newest version of the troop editor doesn't work for me, so can you please put the versions before 1.2 on the repository? :cry:

Charidemus said:
the newest version of the troop editor doesn't work for me, so can you please put the versions before 1.2 on the repository? :cry:

this seems strange to me, I really didn't change much at all between versions....  What is the error you are getting and do you remember what version worked for you?  I can also try creating a setup package with all files....

Thanks Hokie, appreciate the update.  I'll try customizinb some faces this weekend in game with editor mode and cut&past the codes onto your editor for a specific troop and see if this works.  If it does, that will be awesome.....customized faces for all troops. :smile:

This tool is really awesome, wanted throw my thanks out there.  Makes life a hell of a lot easier, a few simple clicks rather than hunt and search through a bloated python script  :grin:

I saw someone request in the first post a way to convert from .txt to .py, and I was thinking how great that would be too.  Any word on how to do that, or is still toil and grind for the compiling process?

Thanks again, this editor is a major time saver.

Galielmus said:
This tool is really awesome, wanted throw my thanks out there.  Makes life a hell of a lot easier, a few simple clicks rather than hunt and search through a bloated python script  :grin:

I saw someone request in the first post a way to convert from .txt to .py, and I was thinking how great that would be too.  Any word on how to do that, or is still toil and grind for the compiling process?

Thanks again, this editor is a major time saver.

thanks for the comments, glad you like it and find it useful!

Creating a direct .txt to .py conversion would be somewhat difficult since you would loose a lot of the comments and other information that is only located in the python file. I thought about adding the ability for my program to export python information for troops that you could then cut-n-paste into the .py file.  However, there seems to be two reasons why this didn't seem to make sense:

1) if somebody is comfortable using python then they can just edit the .py files directly.  My editor is more for people who don't want to bother with python

2) if I exported troop data in a python format you'd loose some of the 'shortcuts' that are available.  For example, right now you can just type wp(60), knows_common, swadian_face1, etc.  If I exported troop information in a .py format I'd end up expanding everything to their specific values.  So then you couldn't just make one change at the top of the file to a global variable you'd have to do a find replace or change each individual troop, etc.

So bottom line it seemed like if somebody is comfortable in python than its a lot better just to directly edit that file.  If people really think it would be helpful to export information from my editor that you could then cut-n-paste into the python file then let me know and I can think about it.  :wink:

Great mod!!  I turned the river pirates into a bunch of renegade knights.

If you are going to make another version, would it be hard to implement a feature where you can scale the size of the parties as well?

Thank you for your work!

Maxsw1 said:
Great mod!!  I turned the river pirates into a bunch of renegade knights.

If you are going to make another version, would it be hard to implement a feature where you can scale the size of the parties as well?

Thank you for your work!

hmm, I'll think about including that in a future version.  I haven't tried this myself but I think its easy to modify:

for example, open party_templates.txt and edit the line:
pt_river_pirates River_Pirates 281474976710665 0 2 312 81 3 30 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

I think 3 is the minimum and 30 is the maximum size of a party

Please HokieBT can you put the older versions of the troop editor back on the repository? i'm using vista and version 1.2 doesn't work with my pc

Back
Top Bottom