Is Pendor story "open source"

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicboy12332

Veteran
Seems as if Saxondragon prophesy of pendor is actually based on a bunch of old scripts and such (According to pop 4 thread). Old stuffs aren't trademarked, copyrighted, or patents so can't I basically just use the pendor story as I pleased? Or nah?

epicboy12332 said:
Seems as if Saxondragon prophesy of pendor is actually based on a bunch of old scripts and such (According to pop 4 thread). Old stuffs aren't trademarked, copyrighted, or patents so can't I basically just use the pendor story as I pleased? Or nah?

Considering we use copyrighted material, source codes from various authors/modders and assets contributed by dozens of people, no you can not use PoP, the story, or any of the above without permission.

If you're making a module (I'm guessing since you clearly don't state your reason for asking) why can't you just make your own? Why do you need anything from PoP?

MitchyMatt said:
epicboy12332 said:

Considering we use copyrighted material, source codes from various authors/modders and assets contributed by dozens of people, no you can not use PoP, the story, or any of the above without permission.

If you're making a module (I'm guessing since you clearly don't state your reason for asking) why can't you just make your own? Why do you need anything from PoP?

9b5cIs.gif

MitchyMatt said:
epicboy12332 said:

I just said the lore behind it, not the game. I just thought that you couldn't say that stuff made by some dude in latin from a bunch of old scripts is yours since some person from the far centuries was the one that made it, not him.
It's like me saying that all of shakespeare work is now mine.

Use the story how? If you're going to copy large swathes of text that weren't in the public domain already, you need permission (which you obviously don't get). If you want to implement the pendor map in another game, then I guess it depends on whether the location names are trademarked.

If you want to make fair use of copyrighted material, asking the copyright holder what you can and can't do usually doesn't provide you with a correct answer, since they tend to be more protective than laws.

Captain_Octavius said:
Use the story how? If you're going to copy large swathes of text that weren't in the public domain already, you need permission (which you obviously don't get). If you want to implement the pendor map in another game, then I guess it depends on whether the location names are trademarked.

If you want to make fair use of copyrighted material, asking the copyright holder what you can and can't do usually doesn't provide you with a correct answer, since they tend to be more protective than laws.
So, If I discovered a bunch of manuscripts about a world that some person from the 14th century made, I can copyright it and say its mine? I wonder why no one did that with any ancient works? Might as well copyright greek mythology, copyright the bible to, lets copyright Beowulf and lastly why has no one copyright shakespeare works to?

It's not a bunch of old manuscripts, but lore that actual people in the Dev team made, with SD as the IP holder.
If you want to do something legit with it, talk to SD. Simple as that, no need for fits.
Why would you need the lore? You are not being upfront.

MadVader said:
It's not a bunch of old manuscripts, but lore that actual people in the Dev team made, with SD as the IP holder.
If you want to do something legit with it, talk to SD. Simple as that, no need for fits.
Why would you need the lore? You are not being upfront.
So basically, what saxondragon said on that POP 4 thread about the stuff in the boxes was just added there to make it seem more awesome?

Tolkien claims his writing is a translation of the Red Book of Westmarch as part of the immersion factor/deeper lore. That doesn't mean that everyone else can suddenly say "well if Tolkien didn't write it and it was made by hobbits several gazillion years ago obviously it's open source and I can do what I want with it!!!"

Epicrules said:
Tolkien claims his writing is a translation of the Red Book of Westmarch as part of the immersion factor/deeper lore. That doesn't mean that everyone else can suddenly say "well if Tolkien didn't write it and it was made by hobbits several gazillion years ago obviously it's open source and I can do what I want with it!!!"
Well Tolkien, made up the Red Book of Westmarch, therefore, it is still made by him and I cannot use it.
And Mad Vader, if whatever is in that box is the original, then can't anyone use whatever in that box. Saxondragon edition is copyrighted but the original can't be copyright. It is far outside the copyright boundaries as there were no copyrights back then.
Therefore, I can't use Saxondragon edition of the lore, but the pure original source is open up for everyone. (If they can find it, which I have...)

Epicrules said:
Emogma said:
Well Tolkien, made up the Red Book of Westmarch, therefore, it is still made by him and I cannot use it.

So where aren't you following?
Lets see, Saxondragon said that it was in Latin, so it can't possibly be made by elves; It was probably made by some writer in medieval times who learned Latin.

Then you still have no idea what's Saxondragon's and the rest of the team's as opposed to what was in the "original Latin".
I'd suggest reading this: http://copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

[quote author=Emogma]Saxondragon edition is copyrighted but the original can't be copyright. It is far outside the copyright boundaries as there were no copyrights back then.
[/quote]
Lol stop ruining the magic please. The finding of the manuscripts is part of the lore and as far as I know the story is about SD telling a story, not about the PoP 3 story itself, so everything is his IP.
He has given concessions to specific uses of the lore before, just lay out your plans clearly and see what he thinks of them.

epicboy12332 said:
Captain_Octavius said:

So, If I discovered a bunch of manuscripts about a world that some person from the 14th century made, I can copyright it and say its mine? I wonder why no one did that with any ancient works? Might as well copyright greek mythology, copyright the bible to, lets copyright Beowulf and lastly why has no one copyright shakespeare works to?

Did you miss the part where I mentioned the public domain? All those texts you mentioned are in the public domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom