Author Topic: Weird Historical Amour and Weapons  (Read 57782 times)

NUQAR'S Kentucky "Nuqar" James XXL

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
  • 🖕IF YOUR EASILY OFFENDED...GROW SOME BALLS...!!🖕
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
  • Faction: Khergit
Re: Weird Historical Amour and Weapons
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 01:28:19 PM »
I've seen something like that in several settings, it seems like it would be used from the top of a wall to push back ladders or skewer cllimbers

RC-1136

• Baron
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Corvinus
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 01:52:58 PM »
This one reminds me of a so called "Sturmsense" (storm scythe) used during the second Turkish siege of Vienna by the defenders:

(click to show/hide)
Some kind of "crowd-control" weapon?
So it seems.
It proved itself to be very useful to defend breaches in the wall. Following the description on the German Wikipedia the holes in the scythe-like blades are there to fix them with pin bolts to other Sturmsensen to form a whole unit made of those. I can't fully imagine how this would work but it seems that it did. Just push them into the attacking crowd, I guess.
(V) (;,,;) (V)

matmohair1

• Marquis
  • LEGENDS NEVER DIE!
    • Steam - matmohair1
    • View Profile
    • Matmohair1's War Cries and Banners
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • WBM&BWF&SNWVC
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Mamlaz

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 06:56:01 PM »
But really, god bless them. They challenged the limits of the imagination when it comes to building a deadly weapon: whereas European swordsmithing basically honed it down essentially to a single, simple, efficient design, Indian smiths created an explosion of diverse swords and weapons.

The Europeans weren't any different really, it is just that they had absolutely no regard to preservation or tradition so they recycled basically everything, meaning that all we have of the weird stuff are the depictions;

(click to show/hide)

There is a ton of very weird stuff from the late medieval period, apparently, they even tried to bring scythed chariots back into the game;
(click to show/hide)

That and they had access to the real Damascus swords, of Wootz steel, and the science behind those things are crazy.

It was indeed magnificent steel but it was limited to the upper class and had major drawbacks that a lot of people tend to ignore.

Its superb hardness made it brittle because, unlike the "regular" swords, it did not have a spine soft enough to allow it to bend on hard impact.
Abu Yūsuf Al-Kindi mentions that the swords must be maintained with delicate care and never see any "winter" because the blade structure weakens and the blade reportedly shatters if used in the cold(for some strange reason).
Also, the dudes at the myarmory site reported several(alleged) incidents of antique wootz steel swords shattering upon being accidentally dropped to the ground.

There is a very good reason why both the Europeans and the Japanese(and everyone else really) kept the spines of their swords soft.

The Romans reported Gauls simply stepping on their swords with their foot to bend them back into shape, sure their swords aren't near the same edge hardness, but they still did the job nearly as well.

They're bound together with goddamn nano-tubes if I'm remembering the science correctly

Wut  :lol:

About the weird, apparently the pommel was not only used against armored enemies;

Untitled.

• Count
  • Real life... Is it worth downloading...?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 07:11:55 PM »
(click to show/hide)
END HIM RIGHTLY!
The only redeeming thing about me is that I'm better than everyone else.
Untitled is Tyler Durden.

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:52 PM »
HE IS SLAIN!

Almalexia

• Her Flamboyance, the Calipha
  • Duke
  • 'Til Fimbulwinter Come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006Natur.444..286R

Source for wootz steel nano structures.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:16:40 PM by Tiberius Decimus Maximus »
We could not understand because we were too far and could not remember because we were traveling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign - and no memories. We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free.

It isn't an adventure story, is it Mr. Hayes?

CHIMouttathisplane

• Sergeant
  • Psilocybin wizard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WB
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
There is a ton of very weird stuff from the late medieval period, apparently, they even tried to bring scythed chariots back into the game;
(click to show/hide)

Don't forget Leonardo da Vinci's medieval battle tank.

(click to show/hide)

Which actually would have worked if someone had bought the design. Sure, the tank operators would be deaf after a couple battles, but that's a small price to pay for a GODDAMN MEDIEVAL BATTLE TANK. :fruity: I guess to the military men of the time, a riding armoured machine with guns just sounded too good to be feasible.

They're bound together with goddamn nano-tubes if I'm remembering the science correctly

I seem to vaguely remember something similar going on with (Milanese?) plate armour. The method of smithing and cooling the steel would shock the steel molecules into a crystaline pattern greatly increasing the strength of the material.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 10:30:13 PM by CHIMouttathisplane »

• BioAfrikaner
  • Duke
    • Twitter - yaqobhyndes
    • View Profile
    • Artwork Gallery
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 10:29:26 PM »
It wouldn't have worked. Look at the axles.

CHIMouttathisplane

• Sergeant
  • Psilocybin wizard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • WB
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I'm not an engineer, but I recall watching a documentary where they made one and used it. It's not really that special, it's basically an armoured push-cart where the gunners are also pushers.

Bluehawk Classic

• Pol Pot's Momma
  • Baron
  • Our children will never know refreshment.
    • Steam - bluehawk2008
    • View Profile
  • WBNWWF&SVCM&B
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2015, 11:45:14 PM »
With the way he has each hand crank connect to both axles at once, on the inside of both axles with perpendicular gears, if you drove the crank at the top of the diagram forward (relative to the observer) it would compel the wheels on the left to roll to the right, and the wheels on the right to roll to the left. The vehicle wouldn't move but grind itself into the mud.

Untitled.

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 01:58:12 AM »
Wouldn't it be pretty easy to correct though? Isn't the core design what's important?

Do not look here

• Duke
  • Well, ich bin dobry cattolico, as well now
    • View Profile
  • WBVCM&B
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 08:21:44 AM »
There's no core design, it's bucket on wheels. I don't get the hype, dead dinosaurs-powered tanks had initially problems with moving around the field, I much less believe in mobility of this thing.
Naprawdę dobry cattolico!

Untitled.

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
Oh, I don't doubt that it's a somewhat impractical design, but if someone wanted to create a prototype that could hypothetically move on a (flat) surface, you'd imagine it wouldn't be that big of a challenge.

PinCussion

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »
There's no core design, it's bucket on wheels. I don't get the hype, dead dinosaurs-powered tanks had initially problems with moving around the field, I much less believe in mobility of this thing.
With cannons. Don't forget the cannons.