Welcome to Community Games!

Users who are viewing this thread

It may not be widely known, but this forum possess a board for people to play Community Games and Contests.

What are community games?
In a nutshell, they are largely forum-based games which require several players to interact to achieve one particular goal. This differs from Role-Playing (we also have a separate board, The Duck & Spackle Tavern, dedicated to that) because most community games have a specific raison d'être -- the aim is to play to win (not purely for the enjoyment).

Who can play in community games?
Almost anybody. The different games vary quite widely in terms of time commitment and level of involvement. All games are played in English, but not all games require a player to be word-perfect and fluent. And whilst some of the games can look a little confusing and complex at first, game hosts are always willing to help out new players, to simplify things and even host newbie-friendly games to help ease players into things.

What sort of games are available?
Many and varied! Below I have listed a brief overview of each game, along with links to the "main threads", where you are free to ask questions and interact with players. All we ask is that you do not post in current "game threads" unless you are already a signed-up player.

Balance of Power
Kvgsm.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,297221.0.html

Description:  Balance of Power is a role playing strategy game involving a player taking control of a country and managing its affairs. Balance of Power rules wildly differ from game to game, but some basic commonalities can be seen. BoP generally involves a player with a country receiving a "country card" detailing all the information about the country that the player needs, including resources, money, stability, and war capabilities. The player can then manage foreign relations with other countries and conduct trade as he or she wishes. Using the BoP tool (or, alternatively, PMs) the player writes detailed orders what the country should do and what resources it should spend during that turn. After processing by the host, the player receives a "turn report" listing the results of those actions and any others that occurred in his or her country, and the turn starts anew.

BoP has many different settings from many different periods, and there are often several versions/games running at once. BoP is one of the lighter games in terms of time commitments. There's no real need for huge essays or in-depth analysis of every word that everybody says: it's all about your orders, diplomacy, and how you strategise.

Werewolf
(aka Mafia)
hmf73.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,238462.0.html

Description:  The game of Werewolf (or as it is known in some places, Mafia), pits a majority of "innocent" players against a minority of "evil" players. The aim of the game is for the villagers to try to work together to discern the identity of the wolves. At the end of every game-day, one player is voted to die by a majority. The aim of the wolves is to blend in with the villagers and win the game by killing the innocents at night. The game ends when the villagers kill all the wolves, or when the number of wolves equals the number of villagers.

There is a massive variation in game styles, with "vanilla" games being simple and relatively easy to start with, whilst some hosts prefer to create unique settings and roles, and some even include the use of special items, to make the game more interesting and interactive. Of all the games listed here, Werewolf requires the greatest time commitment. Due to most games requiring strict deadlines to prevent the game from stagnating, it's not recommended that you play this game if you're not able to commit to several weeks of somewhat intense reading, analysing and posting.

Aurora
kknij.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  none
Previous game thread:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,311229.0.html

Description:  Aurora is a new type of Community/Forum game, utilizing the byzantine 4X game/simulator/sandbox AURORA. This game is somewhat similar to Balance of Power. Notable differences are that it's more simplified and obviously focused at space. Players will take the role of a very high-level, removed from day-to-day activities, policy director. They will receive a short "country card" that gives a rough outlining of their factions strengths, and will then issue general guidelines for a 5-year plan. Players do NOT need to know how to play Aurora. Players will not micro-manage the actions of ships or ground forces, nor will they design ships.

The second game of Aurora is well underway, but please do not post in the current game thread unless you are already a player. In terms of time commitment, it is comparable to Balance of Power.

Resistance
xEfFt.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,315559.0.html

Description:  The Resistance is a party game of social deduction. It is designed for five to ten players and has no player elimination. The Resistance is inspired by Mafia/Werewolf, yet it is unique in its core mechanics, which increase the resources for informed decisions, intensify player interaction, and eliminate player elimination. Players are either Resistance Operatives or Imperial Spies. For three to five rounds, they must depend on each other to carry out missions against the Empire. At the same time, they must try to deduce the other players’ identities and gain their trust.

There have already been several different variations of this game, utilising different rulesets and expansions. In terms of time-commitment, this game can be thought of as "werewolf lite" -- there is more interaction required than in BoP and Aurora, but due to the lack of player elimination/killing, the discussion is often less heavy and intense.

Cluedo
PANOB.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  none
Previous game thread:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,332395.0.html

Description:  Based on the popular board game, Cluedo ("Clue" in some countries), we have had only one game of Cluedo so far, but the possibility of another game is very strong. Using a system of cards and rooms, the object of the game is to figure out "whodunnit" by eliminating suspects through logical deduction.

The game is faster-paced than BoP and Aurora, but does not require the same level of commitment as Werewolf and Resistance. Due to the highly logical nature of the game, player interaction with each other is seen more of a way of enhancing the experience and building a rapport.

Adventure Net
-rFKN.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link: none
Current game link:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,341212.0.html

Description:  This game mysteriously appeared overnight. Nobody really knows what it is. Apparently there is a protagonist named Big McLarge-Huge, whose sole purpose so far seems to be visiting taverns, looking for loose women and almost getting lynched by mobs of backwater simpletons. What will happen next? Nobody knows. Who's playing this game? Well, pretty much everybody. So head on over there and give some commands and see what happens. This appears to be one game that you don't have to sign up to play. Check out the rules, then jump in to play!

Photo Contest
GIjgc.jpg
JsIo5.gif

Main thread link:  http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,78993.0.html

Description:  Not a game, but a contest. Every week there is a new topic. You take one picture which relates to that topic, and submit it to the main thread. Every Saturday the entrants are displayed in a poll, and the winner chooses the next topic. This contest is strangely addictive, and you don't need an SLR camera to join in the fun.

Why is this thread here?
Well, the community games are always on the lookout for new players. In particular, Resistance and Werewolf hosts are looking to expand their player base and welcome new players into the fold, and more entrants in the photo contest is never a bad thing. If you're interested in any of these games, don't hesitate to enquire within the main game threads. Bring your friends. Bring your family. Be prepared for some good times and some frustration. And, most of all, be ready to make new friends and have lots of fun.

NEWS AND UPDATES

25th October 2015

• A new Werewolf game is starting for brand new players. Seven slots currently available:  https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,341497.0.html

21st October 2015

• Replacement player being sought for a BoP game. Info here.

18th October 2015

• Sign-ups for a new Werewolf game have been opened. Click here to view Village of the Dead.
    • Adventure Net's second adventure is now underway. Click here to participate.

10th December 2015

• Games galore in December. Werewolf players wanted, new players welcome, new and continuing Adventure Nets, and a sadly neglected round of the photo contest. See latest post for full details.

Nicely done, Llandy. I really like how you formatted the post.

I'd also like to invite everyone to join in the fun. Werewolf and Balance of Power, in particular, are very old forum traditions, and some of us have been enjoying these games for several years.

You've made me remember the joy I derived from the few WW games I took part in, when I wasn't too busy not taking part in them. I think I'll sign up for either the next WW or BoP, if I can promise myself to actually devote sufficient attention to them.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Yes, cheers! It's always nice when the Pharaoh is magnanimous and gives back to his people, even after snatching hundreds of firstborns.

"After you've exploited someone, it never hurts to thank them. That way, it's easier to exploit them next time" - 299th Rule of Acquisition.

I'm looking for a replacement for a major player (one of the top 3, in fact) that simply can't do as an NPC for very long, in a Balance of Power game. PM if interested, please. :smile:

Pixel said:
I'm looking for a replacement for a major player (one of the top 3, in fact) that simply can't do as an NPC for very long, in a Balance of Power game. PM if interested, please. :smile:

Would like to vouch for Pixel that he is an amazing host and joining this game will be worth your while, and that I am enjoying myself greatly, despite having extremely limited time.

I've updated the news section, also added images. If anybody prefers a different image to be used in the overview of their game, please PM it to me. Dimensions are 600px wide, 200px tall. I don't want this thread to become too image-heavy and slow down mobile phone users.

Llandy, there are some rules to the new Adventure Net game.

Corndawg said:
Rules
  • All instructions should be formatted in CAPITAL LETTERS
  • You may add onto instructions that have been given, but I will only follow them up to a certain point
  • Also, you may not modify someone's instructions
  • Every action has a certain success or failure rate randomly determined by me. Once that is set, I will roll a d100 to find out if you succeed
  • I'm going to make it tough to die
  • This is a fantasy setting

New players wanted!

We have a brand new Werewolf game specifically for new players:  https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,341497.0.html

If you've wanted to play Werewolf but felt it too daunting to jump into a big game, or if you'd like to sign up to play something with friends, this is your chance.

This thread is amazing Llandy nicely done! You all can thank me for inviting her to her fist werewolf game here and getting her hooked. Sure has paid dividends.

Update: Werewolf High now has the minimum number of players required for the game, but I'll take additional players up until the game starts.

Fabulous prizes may or may not be involved.

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=341497.msg8133997#msg8133997

Back
Top Bottom