[Werewolf] Advertisement Thread - Current Campaign: Tails of Fur

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello everyone. This is the thread to post anything you think might get people interested in your Werewolf game. Use your creativity to lure players into wasting several hours of their precious time arguing if spamming is worse than lurking.

Wait a minute, Werewolf? What is that?

You don't know one of the oldest traditions of this forum? Check the main thread to see what you're missing.

Past campaigns:

The Black Death Trailers - By Adaham

Current campaign:

A story of Werewolf - By Xardob

Important: Please, do not post general comments in this thread. Use the Main Thread for that!

Werewolf - Village of the Dead
Prologue - A Dead Village

The cold night wind was blowing through the deserted streets of the village. The bright full moon illuminated the ruins of once prosperous buildings, now mostly destroyed by  harsh weather and the natural decay of time. Older scars could also be seen if you knew what to look for. The crushed gatehouse of the old castle on the hill, the collapsed tavern, the burned down great hall and even the market square where the caravan used to gather was damaged.  Signs of the countless battles against the supernatural forces that have plagued the village since its establishment. But even those evils are gone, and the cursed dead reign unopposed here. Zendar, it was called. Now the world knows it as the village of the dead.

Still, there are signs of life. At the end of a side street, a house still stands, maintained by its only inhabitant. The herb garden didn't lack care, with full patches of growing wolfsbane. The weapons hanging from the walls were ready to be used, the crossbow always oiled and the spear sharpened, even though there was no need for them since the curse descended upon the village.

A figure emerged from the front door carrying a bottle of whiskey and started heading up the hill towards the graveyard. On the way, he thought how the situation had come to this. Nobody knew where the curse had come from, only that one day the dead started refusing to stay dead. Then births dropped to zero, and the living lost hope, seeking another place to call home.

He sighed. Thinking about this again wouldn't get him any closer to a solution, and tonight was a night for celebration. Stopping at an unmarked grave, he opened the bottle and poured a bit in the ground. Taking a sip, Xardob sat down and waited for the souls that were his friends to gather.

Werewolf - Village of the Dead
Chapter 1 - The Birth of Legends

Xardob was watching the moon when he heard a sound signaling the first arrival. Turning around, he smiled as he recognized the figure standing before him. "I was hoping you would come, TSN."
"Being dead is incredibly boring, so I didn't have much else to do. I figured talking to an old friend would be a good way to pass some time. I'm also curious about what you hope to accomplish by summoning all of us tonight."
"Lift the curse." Xardob said seriously. "That's my only goal now. I hoped that, by gathering everyone, we could discuss it understand it better. Examine our past battles and discover where it came from, at least."
TSN sat down and looked sadly at the bottle. "Damn, I wish I could drink some of that. Discuss past battles? You're only looking for an excuse to drink and share old stories."
Xardob smiled at that. "I should know I couldn't fool you so easily."
"You can't fool me at all. I'm realted to several old werewolf kings, I'm basically a professor of werewolf hunting. I taught you most of what you know about hunting, remember that next time you try such an amateur excuse." TSN almost looked offended at that. "Seriously, no wonder the village decayed this far if that's the best it has to offer against evil." He spent a moment looking over the familiar sights. "Still, it might be fun to remember when this was more than a ruin. But if we're doing this, you should've brought Adaham along. Where is he?"
"Out there in the world. Adaham thought he would find answers to the curse elsewhere. We agreed that he would go investigate while I'd stay to defend the village."
"It would have been nice to meet him again. And he's probably the only one who remembers the details of the first battles, now that the records are gone1."
"Truly a shame, that. Rathyr's last stand at the library was probably our first big setback, our first warrior to fall2. His death even allowed the wolves to sack the first floor of the library, destroying everything within."
TSN started his tale. "What we know about those early days are the stories that were told by the survivors. Not much is known of the first skirmish, except for Rathyr's account of a narrow win for the village. That battle is overshadowed by the great second battle of Zendar, when several well known warriors joined forces to fight two wolf packs led by Archonsod, the  terrible. Dominant on the field, Archonsod showed the village the folly of inaction on the first day3. No one dared stand up to him and he was leading the village to disaster. The battle was almost lost, when Highlander set fire on the field4, forcing everyone to retreat."
"I think you're being too grim with this story." Xardob interrupted. " That was Adaham's debut after all. The tale of how he figured one enemy out based on a joke at daybreak5 remains one of the most impressive catches of all time. We still use this example to teach foolish villagers who think the opening moves of a battle don't matter. And he even went on to catch a second wolf before being forced to retreat due to severe injuries during the second night."
TSN looked slightly annoyed at his friend. "Who's telling the story here? But yeah, that was quite impressive. Too bad he has only declined since then. Anyway, moving on. Luckily, we still have James' chronicle of the fourth battle6.  The village, led by Ingolifs, killed a wolf very early, but were ultimately fooled by Leprechaun and Fes7, and the village was defeated."
"So Lep was already a crafty bastard back then? He actually came back some time ago with new tricks, but we're getting ahead of our story."
"Yeah, let's not skip my important contributions to keep this ****hole alive, no matter how ungrateful the rest of the village was." TSN grumbled. "I still remember all the frustration of that first battle, battling three powerful wolves with almost no assistance from my fellow villagers8. We were cornered in the church for our last stand, the wolves pounding on the barricaded door. We didn't have much time, so I quickly explained my battle plan9 and charged as the first wolf broke through the door. Unfortunately, I didn't know we had a traitor amongst us. Bugman shot me in the back with a crossbow10 and the whole strategy fell apart. I barely had time to escape before the wolves slaughtered the entire village."
"You call an humiliating defeat at the hands of a traitor contribution to keep the village alive? Come on, TSN, you can do better than that. This story is rather grim anyway, defeat after defeat. Tell us about the victories."
"I was getting to it, since our next victory came just after that battle, as we took the village back from the wolves."
"Wait" Xardob interrupted yet again. He seemed to be remembering a rather funny detail. "Wasn't that the time you almost got banned from the village over a minor disagreement with the Mayor? Something about his daughter?11"
"Don't joke about that." TSN said, irritated. "That was actually rather serious, and had nothing to do with his daughter. Besides, we like to pretend this didn't happen. Anyway, we got past it and the village united to kill all the wolves."
"Bah, boring story. I rather prefer the legend of the wolf who claimed to be a powerful seer and sold out his own packmate12."
"I saw that happen. And he almost got away with it as well. If it wasn't for the fact that there was a real seer residing in the village at the time, that wolf would still be alive today. A funny detail that not everybody knows is that a relative of that wolf tried a similar tactic later13. Unfortunately for him, I was aware of the maneuver and quickly got him hanged."
"I think I remember reading about that. It was in the Tale of Crosston14, wasn't it? It was a very well written story."
They both fell silent for a time. The moon had hidden behind the clouds, leaving the night completely dark. Xardob took another sip of the whisky and grimaced a bit. The stuff wasn't very good, but he didn't have a great selection to choose from. After a while, he said: "Those early days must have been really impressive. The village trying to develop itself while facing those challenges, discovering new strategies to deal with evil, suffering crushing defeats and achieving great victories. But we've dawdled long enough on them. It's time to move to the next era of Zendar. A golden age, marked by the arrival of the best wolf hunter to ever set foot on this place."

Footnotes
1 - Rathyr's account deletion. I'll never forgive him for this.
2 -  Reference to him being the first player killed in several games. Even worse than me not getting to the third day of every game in over a year.
3 -  Arch convinced everyone to vote no lynch on the first day. After this, every mention of no lynch was met with heavy suspicion.
4 -  A mistaken post during the night, blowing a very important role.
5 -  Adaham caught LL based on his first post, when he asked every wolf to raise his hand.
6 -  Game 4. The only early game with a surviving thread. Thanks a lot, Rathyr.
7 -  I like to think of those two performances as the standard by how every wolf performance should be measured. Lep as a vocal wolf and Fes as a lurker one. Very well played by both of them.
8 -  Ingo's game. TSN argued almost alone against three very vocal wolves to make a very interesting endgame.
9 -  The first coordinated mass claim plan of the forum. Too bad no one wanted to go along with it.
10 -  Bugman, the worst vigilante ever. Not only did he help the wolves on lynch or lose, he also killed the herbalist and had an all around poor game.
11 -  TSN had a huge quote war with Narcissus. Things got pretty heated from both sides, and TSN even got banned for a time. The only time things ever got out of hand in a WW game. Which is actually pretty surprising.
12 -  KoC claimed to be the seer and sold out Kobrag, his packmate.
13 -  KoC tried a counter claim against TSN in Arch's game. Needless to say, it failed.
14 -  Arch's game, with probably the best narration this forum has seen. The amount of work he put in a single PM was impressive.

Tails of Fur

Coming soon to a forum near you!

l_My1.jpg

I'm hijacking this thread since nobody else is hyping. I'll be updating with new hype material every few days. Other players -- feel free to hype your games too!

Talisien’s Travel Guide

Greetings, dearest reader!

If you find yourself in possession of this helpful document, then it’s very likely that you’re considering visiting, or perhaps buying property in, our quaint little town. But before I begin praising the virtues of our wonderful little corner of the world, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Talisien, and I am the royal bard of Townsville. In my youth I travelled the realm extensively. I’ve sailed the Sea of Sleeping Serpents, conquered snow and frost in the Coldstep Mountains, slunk within the shadow of Hangman’s Keep, and persevered across the harsh and unforgiving Plain of Lost Souls.

So, what is a minstrel of my experience and renown doing as a royal bard in the sleepy little village of Townsville? Well, that is a long story best saved for another time; perhaps a night by the fire in the Last Drop Inn. I hope to see you there someday, so that I can tell you that story in person. But for now, we have other matters to attend to.

This handy travel-guide has been prepared by yours truly to aid the discerning traveller during his journey in and around our residence. The first thing that you need to know is that Townsville is perfectly safe. War, hunger, strife… these are words not used in the vocabulary of the townsfolk, and you’d be hard-pressed to find explanations for them in any local dictionary.

The second note of import is that not only is Townsville very safe, it is also a very quiet and humble place. If you’re looking for adventure, this isn’t the place for you. Our residents enjoy an almost unparallelled level of peace and tranquility. That’s not to say that our lives are boring; festivals occur frequently, and every summer we hold local games and contests such as mud wrestling, caber tossing and archery. There is also pie tasting. Pies are very big here. We like pies.

So, what, you wonder, would you want to come to Townsville for? In the next instalment of this guide I’ll be introducing you to some of the interesting places outside of our town but within easy walking distance; places which have always been popular with tourists like you. But for now, I would like to introduce you to the finest place in Townsville itself: The Last Drop Inn.

titIG.jpg

The Last Drop is the finest (and only) place for the discerning traveller to stay whilst touring the area around Townsville. The rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable and free from bed bugs, and there are several types of prize-winning local mead and ale to sample. Every evening, the townsfolk like to visit the Inn, to eat, drink and catch up on the news of the day. Sometimes the royal bard, yours truly, can be found by the fireside of the Inn, spinning grand tales of adventure and glory.

Here is a rendition of the inside of The Last Drop, lovingly painted by the famed artist Sir Anthony of Avon, who sadly died later after contracting the plague in the distant town of Hamm.

iOkxV.jpg

For now, dear readers, I will leave you to digest this information (possibly with a glass of honeyed mead) and I hope you will join me for the next instalment of this guide.

Talisien’s Travel Guide - Part 2

Greetings again, dear readers!

Today I’d like to tell you about a place which even a distant traveller like yourself may have heard rumours about: Mengelberg Castle!

aBIzL.png

[size=12pt]Historians will tell you that the Castle was built by the crazed Baron Von Hamm as a leisurely summer retreat long before Townsville existed, but nothing is truly known about it except rumours and hear’say. According to ancient Legend, the Castle was once home to a beautiful princess who was cursed by a Wicked Queen (Legend is rather sketchy about the nature of said curse). More recent rumour suggests that the Castle has been inhabited by a pack of night-walking monsters led by a beast named Ativan the Great, but this story is most often told by Townsville mothers to ensure their young ones stay in bed at night.

Ask the townsfolk who’ve seen Mengelberg Castle after dark, and they will swear to whichever deity you care to name that when the sun sinks below the horizon, ghostly lights appear in the uppermost windows of the Castle, and that shadowy silhouettes can be seen moving from room to room.

Bewitched nobility, monstrous beasts or ghostly gatherings—regardless of which rumours you believe, one thing is certain; if you plan to visit Mengelberg Castle during your stay in our town, it’s not recommended that you visit at night.

Hip-Hip-Hooray for the next chapter in the Mengelberg franchise!!!  :party:

Incredibly happy for making a dead conductor of classical orchestras a household name on a forum subforum board small select group of weirdos.  :grin:

Talisien’s Travel Guide - Part 3

Once again I, Talisien, Royal Bard Extraordinaire, find myself in your fine company, dear traveller!

Today I have a tale to tell you, a dark tale that will twist your heart, curl your hair and chill your flesh to the bones. The tale I speak of is the tale of The Lurkwood; a place so dark and malevolent that few who venture into that arboreal nightmare return unchanged… or return at all.

7SosI.jpg

It is said that long ago, when the deities of our world created mankind, they instilled within him an insatiable curiosity, and coupled it with a desire to see injustices righted. Mankind flourished like a meadow of wildflowers, spreading across the land, taming and bettering it.

But as time went on, not all men were happy with their lot in life. They became lazy and selfish; they shirked their duties and took from the granaries that which they had not worked for, whilst depriving others of their hard-earned meals.

The people cried out for justice to be done, and so the deities sent a curse to the land, a curse that would afflict those who had turned away from the divine teachings. The curse spread like an infection, and those infected became shadow-men, beings of darkness who eternally hungered to live in the light but were doomed to a life of exile and deprevation.

The Lurkwood became their home, and there they yet dwell, growing hungrier, and angrier. Townsville mothers tell their children that if they misbehave, the Lurkers will come out of the forest to steal them from their beds and carry them back to the Lurkwood where they will be devoured. Alive.

As you might have guessed, we have very well-behaved children, in Townsville! And as for the tale of the Lurkwood, and the Lurkers which live within it… perhaps there is some measure of truth to the stories. I, too, have ventured into that shadow-land, and felt the unseen eyes watching me with an insatiable hunter. I feel no shame in admitting that I left that place as soon as the goosebumps graced my skin, and will never enter again.

To you, dear traveller, I offer this piece of advice: Live your life honest and true; work hard, do not shirk your duties, and above all else, stay away from the Lurkwood, lest the curse of the Lurkers take you.

Who does all your artwork, awesome Lady? Looks great. Reminds me a bit of "where the wild things are", but then with lurkers, of course. I'm in any case excited (which you probably noticed due to my spam that comes around every time you post a bit more).

Big McLarge-Huge said:
Who does all your artwork, awesome Lady?

Google :razz:

I'm excited too. It will be really interesting to see how Werewolf meets RPG turns out. My game will be more like traditional WW than Moss' game was, but hopefully with some nice differences and unique special roles.

(edit: or perhaps I should say, I find most of my images on google and tweak them as necessary using whatever software/online programs I happen to have access to. I'd love to do my own artwork but I'm not talented enough, and I can't really afford to pay somebody to do it.)

Back
Top Bottom