Mount & Blade doesn't start [Windows 10]

Users who are viewing this thread

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. While everything is running perfectly without any issues, including M&B: Warband, the good old M&B won't open. I double click it, but nothing happens. The taskmanager says it is running though.
What I've tried so far:
- reinstalling
- compatibility mode Windows XP SP2/ Vista/ 7
- admin rights
- reinstalling in C:/User/

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Mount & Blade 1 is the only one with a great star wars mod for it :p

I would very much like to know this as well. I've done pretty much everything you listed, but the game just wont launch. The launcher menu doesn't even show up... it just idles in the background and only terminates when I force it to through the task manager.

I get that this is an old game, and that support for it probably died ages ago...

But if any players here know of a work around...

Of course, I can take some drastic measures and install a virtual windows xp on my system just to play the game (and shelve out $50-$200 for virtual machine software), or down-grade back to windows 8 (which AFAIK, may not work with the original m&b anyway) - all this just to play revenge of berserk, which never got ported to wb.

Yeah, same problem here.

I can't play Warband, with the changes they made to the fighting. That was a waste of money right from the start. But I still play the original game occasionally. As bad as I am with it, it's still lots of fun.

But it won't run at all now, not since I upgraded to Windows 10. It shows up as a background process in Task Manager, but that's all.

Damn it, can really noone help us? Please, I need to be able to play that masterpiece again, don't you have any ideas? Or is there a possibility to use Mount & Blade Mods on Warband?

Sorry, I don't have an answer. I uninstalled the game, myself.

Note that I, too, would like to see a Mount & Blade mod for Warband, since the latter game was a complete waste of money for me. But I doubt if that's possible.

Because of Warband, I'll be very careful at buying anything else from Taleworlds, but... you win some and you lose some. And I certainly got my money's worth from the original Mount & Blade. That was a great game, and I played it for years (without every getting much better at it - heh, heh). So I really can't complain.

How sad to have to give up on that masterpiece :/
The diplomacy options in Warband were a great thing to gain, so I'm not really against Warband, especially with those mods out there. But Star Wars Conquest mod for Mount & Blade was perfect. I preferred it over actual Star Wars games :grin:
For Warband there is a star wars mod, but MP only, thats useless to me

I did it!!
After testing many things I heard from a friend of mine that the thing causing problemy with some games is the no longer supported copy protection of them, used on CDs...
Buying it in Steam worked for me perfectly

Congratulations, bossmob. But I don't have a CD. I bought it in 2008 as a download, direct from TaleWorlds, and that's where I downloaded it from the last time I installed it, too. (I still have the serial number.)

Oh, well, I've uninstalled the game now. And I just bought Fallout 4, so that will keep me busy enough for awhile. But if they have a particularly good sale at Steam sometime, I might pick it up, just in case.

Have fun.

I'm having the same problem ... shows up in Task Manager, but nothing happens on screen ... no start up menu, nothing.

However, there is a function within Steam to activate a product that wasn't purchased through Steam.

In Steam:
Click the Games menu, and Select "Activate Product on Steam"
Go through the agreements ...

Finally, there's a window where you enter your registration key ... CD or otherwise.

I haven't tried this, yet.  Will do so this evening, time permitting.  But, like y'all, I love the original (Native Expansion!) and have been playing this game for nigh on a decade or more ... definitely got my money's worth.

And, having just upgraded to Win10 today, M&B was the first game I tested.

Definitely a bad taste in my mouth for Win 10.  However, if this Steam trick works, then perhaps not so bad ...

-J

So, I went one step further ... the "in place upgrade" of Win10 seemed to be using a heck of a lot of CPU / Memory in idle, so I did a clean install.

My system no longer has the CPU /  Mem issues in idle, and definitely feels snappier, so I highly recommend doing that once anyone has done the in-place upgrade, if you have the time.

However, it didn't solve the issue with M&B not running.  I went through every combination of compatibility settings / Admin / color reduction / pixel reduction / etc I could think of.  Still didn't show up.  Process runs in the background, but no game menu appears.

So ... Steam is the solution. :/  Worth the additional $10 to be able to still play, I feel.

-J

To all of you i bring joyous news! i tried activating my copy of the good ol mount and blade on my steam account and it worked!!! i am now enjoying this classic on my laptop even with the new windows 10. all you need is your activation serial number! this is the copy that i downloaded directly from taleworlds.

Joel muth said:
all you need is your activation serial number! this is the copy that i downloaded directly from taleworlds.

That did not work for me. And yes, it was the serial number I received with the game I bought directly from Taleworlds in 2008.

Another option is Gog.com ... Good Old Games.  They have a steam-free download that works (I've just tested) without using a Steam client.  You might still have to buy it (not sure if you can use the license key from Taleworlds), but if you're attempting to play it sans Steam, you can.

Worked for me, anyway, when the direct download from the site didn't work.  They're really good about making sure the old games all run on new systems, I've got a bunch of classics from them, like Total Annihilation, Privateer, and a few others.

My old bones don't have the reflexes these younger whipper-snappers have ...

-Jon

godling said:
Another option is Gog.com ... Good Old Games.  They have a steam-free download that works (I've just tested)...

Thanks, Jon. As it turns out, I've already got it at GOG.com (they were giving it away as a free promotion one time). I'd forgotten that. But it's good to know that version works.

I won't try it immediately, since I've got too many games to play, already. Fallout 4 has been incredible, and I stumbled across Eador: Genesis (at GOG.com, though it's on sale at Steam right now for only $1.19) that's a little gem.

Even retirement doesn't give me enough time to play everything, though I'm giving it a good try. :smile:

Bill

I've heard nothing but amazing reviews of Fallout 4, but I just don't have the time right now -- still another 20 years from retirement, unless that lottery ticket kicks in ... or that distant relative from Nigeria really does pay me the 10 billion dollars in unclaimed funds from the bank ...

I'll grab Eador on your recommendation, however ... and that it's only $1.99 ... I've got a Steam library full of cheap purchases ... someday I'll get to half of them!

Best,
-J

Sorry for necroing this topic - but I did extensive searching for a similar issue and could not find any solutions and just landed on this page. Took me two hours to figure it - and hope I could possibly save people some time in the future.

Symptoms:
- Run Mount and Blade Warband and it does not run (steam or normal). Nothing shows up: launcher, message, crashing, nothing.
- RGL Log shows only two lines:
    Starting new log file.
    Version:  1.168

Solution
- This is caused by MB not being able to locate the Documents/Mount&Blade Warband folder
- Go to Microsoft One Drive -> Settings -> Auto-save -> Documents -> Set to 'This PC only'.

Hopefully this helps someone.

Back
Top Bottom