[WBANT™] WarBand American Native Training™ (REVIVAL?)

Who's gonna win WPL2?

• One Eyed

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Old Men

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Turtle Knights

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 1 of the ****ters

Votes: 23 60.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Terrible_Swordsman said:
Kohath said:
Guaccmoleboy said:
Kohath said:
Thunderbeu said:
Currently everyone who is a WPL admin is fit to admin this. This idea is not personal training, it is for current, old and new players to train at a competitive standard. Everyone will assist everyone is what we are aiming for.
How will they train if noone is training them? Then they might as well play on IG_Battlegrounds or GK_Siege if they are going to just fight. Everyone gives advice on public servers as well.

The WPL admin team only consists of 5 people, where Tardet will probably not show for a NA practice. The only one else on that is Arys who I believe can do good. Is there no other admins?

There is training, a lot of it. In a new player's perspective, this is the only thing close enough to being in an actual competitive match. While there are no real "trainers", the experience enough is magnificent practice and many players are more than willing to help a newer player. This isn't just a "fight",  it's against experienced players and forces you to be aware, to survive, to know which things to do in which situation; these traits are simply non-existent in the above servers.

It's great to practice new things as well, you can try out calling for a team, playing cav/archer, there are no high stakes and it's an almost perfect simulation of a scrim. This is the ultimate practice, this is where you can learn and apply your skills to the fullest extent.

I believe you misinterpretated Thunder's comment about the admins, he was referring to the many WPL referrees, and not the official forum admins/mods.
In your first paragraph you are describing a normal populated server ...

And in your second paragraph, it comes back to my point. How can you learn and apply skills, which might be unknown to you, if noone teaches you? The only thing I get out of this is that new players will get wrecked by experienced players, where appointed leaders will probably not teach them anything new and admins, in my personal opinion with the exception of Roberta, will not enforce common decency.

Have you ever played on POM? honest question, because thats exactly what you described.
Which is what this will become, as the admins on your list are the ones behaving like children and idiots on POM.

Terrible_Swordsman said:
The idea is to train team work, and other qualities taught in this environment.
And again I must come back to what I have said many times now. How can they learn these things you speak off if noone teaches them?

But it is also as you said, noone has come up with anything better so the POM side of the community will make due with this I guess.
I just wanted to know if this would be a properly setup training where the aim was to train competitive players like it said in the OP, and without trolls, but based off the replies it seems it will be a normal pickup party with the exception that it is scheduled.

Kohath said:
Guaccmoleboy said:
Kohath said:
Thunderbeu said:
Currently everyone who is a WPL admin is fit to admin this. This idea is not personal training, it is for current, old and new players to train at a competitive standard. Everyone will assist everyone is what we are aiming for.
How will they train if noone is training them? Then they might as well play on IG_Battlegrounds or GK_Siege if they are going to just fight. Everyone gives advice on public servers as well.

The WPL admin team only consists of 5 people, where Tardet will probably not show for a NA practice. The only one else on that is Arys who I believe can do good. Is there no other admins?

There is training, a lot of it. In a new player's perspective, this is the only thing close enough to being in an actual competitive match. While there are no real "trainers", the experience enough is magnificent practice and many players are more than willing to help a newer player. This isn't just a "fight",  it's against experienced players and forces you to be aware, to survive, to know which things to do in which situation; these traits are simply non-existent in the above servers.

It's great to practice new things as well, you can try out calling for a team, playing cav/archer, there are no high stakes and it's an almost perfect simulation of a scrim. This is the ultimate practice, this is where you can learn and apply your skills to the fullest extent.

I believe you misinterpretated Thunder's comment about the admins, he was referring to the many WPL referrees, and not the official forum admins/mods.
In your first paragraph you are describing a normal populated server ...

And in your second paragraph, it comes back to my point. How can you learn and apply skills, which might be unknown to you, if noone teaches you? The only thing I get out of this is that new players will get wrecked by experienced players, where appointed leaders will probably not teach them anything new and admins, in my personal opinion with the exception of Roberta, will not enforce common decency.

Please, there is practically a million things different between a "normal populated server" and an actual scrim/practice. Although those skills can certainly be further developed on a public server, the scrim situation will teach you far, far more along with skills not mentioned, such as teamplay etc. All in all, this will give new players a much deeper and expansive look into game mechanics and competitive play that pub servers can not.

Again, many experienced players would be happy to help train a new player and give him tips etc, and not endlessly bash him like you think. If they want a more personalized, in depth training they are free to join the North American Mentorship program, or simply contact an available experienced player.

Your views on the admins team seems incredibly biased and opinionated, so I'm afraid I can't give you many reassurances except for simply "trust me".

Which is what this will become, as the admins on your list are the ones behaving like children and idiots on POM.
Apparently myself, Arys, and Calamity are trolls and idiots. Didn't realize that running a tournament made us idiots.

And again I must come back to what I have said many times now. How can they learn these things you speak off if noone teaches them?
They are taught by competitive experience, you learn so much more by playing in actual scrims, where people can tell you (in chat or in teamspeak) what to do, so they can improve. Pub servers are awful for learning, and POM isn't even on medium/1k. Do you really expect them to learn more with archer spam?

But it is also as you said, noone has come up with anything better so the POM side of the community will make due with this I guess.
I just wanted to know if this would be a properly setup training where the aim was to train competitive players like it said in the OP, and without trolls, but based off the replies it seems it will be a normal pickup party with the exception that it is scheduled.
Why don't you show up to one instead of acting like some omniscient being who knows the outcome of everything run by the community?

Sjaeles said:
Apparently myself, Arys, and Calamity are trolls and idiots. Didn't realize that running a tournament made us idiots.

They are taught by competitive experience, you learn so much more by playing in actual scrims, where people can tell you (in chat or in teamspeak) what to do, so they can improve. Pub servers are awful for learning, and POM isn't even on medium/1k. Do you really expect them to learn more with archer spam?

Why don't you show up to one instead of acting like some omniscient being who knows the outcome of everything run by the community?

Don't waste thy time on thy shoes, young one.

Of course it's always good to see NA WB players and clans taking initiatives like these to keep the game alive for as long as possible. I do understand some of the skepticism though. As already mentioned, some of your members are known trolls in the community, both in pub servers and tournaments. Therefore, their participation doesn't exactly inspire confidence in taking the training seriously. I haven't played WB for awhile, but I might show up to one of the weekend ones. So I'll reserve any further comments. Nevertheless, hope it goes well to keep the community going :smile:.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

THE NEXT WBANT EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE THIS THURSDAY AND WILL BE PLAYED ON THE KoB/SG FIXTURES. BOTH CLANS ARE INVITED TO COME, AND CLAN LEADERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO THINK OF DRILLS/ACTIVITIES THAT WILL AID THEIR PLAYERS IN THE EVENT.

MAKE SURE TO JOIN THE WBANT STEAM GROUP!!

SERVER INFO WILL COME THE DAY OF THE EVENT.

- added in more emphasis on the drill/activities that will take place before the pick-up, I personally forgot to mention those in the post
- added in general ruleset

Regarding your last post, Guacc, I wouldn't expect teams that will be playing a tourney match in the near future to play / work with each other before that match has happened.  Actively helping your opponent in a case like this doesn't jive well with such a team's best interests.

Best case would be to see if these teams would show up after the match to "exchange notes" so to speak, offer insight on what went wrong/how to improve and suggest drills and the like at that time.

In an off-(tourney)-season situation this "scrim school" deal could do petty well, though.  The key will be ensuring a good working environment and having the people who show up buy-in to what's going down.

Kohath said:
Back in the day, when I got good, nobody taught me how to be good, I just watched good people and tried to do what they did. People don't need somebody holding their hand to get better.

I think the idea of this is to give competitive players who already know the basics a place to practice and get even better. We have an NA mentoring thread for people who want one on one training.

Ghaern said:
Regarding your last post, Guacc, I wouldn't expect teams that will be playing a tourney match in the near future to play / work with each other before that match has happened.  Actively helping your opponent in a case like this doesn't jive well with such a team's best interests.

Best case would be to see if these teams would show up after the match to "exchange notes" so to speak, offer insight on what went wrong/how to improve and suggest drills and the like at that time.

In an off-(tourney)-season situation this "scrim school" deal could do petty well, though.  The key will be ensuring a good working environment and having the people who show up buy-in to what's going down.

Great point, you are right in some respects. I believe that although the match between KoB/SG is soon, it would be in both team's interests to merely practice a little and get a feeling for the map. Yes, there could be conflict but I doubt it'd be too serious and cause both clans to simply not join the event. Teams will be scrambled as well and players will be chosen by the appointed leader to avoid having a stack of KoB's vs a stack of SG's in the pick-up scrim. What I do understand that teams absolutely do not want to share is their strats on the map, which can be avoided by simply just not doing the strats in the pick up  :wink:

Anyways, the event is meant to be fun and I doubt that if both SG/KoB attend it'd be detrimental to them. Practice can't really hurt you.

Yeah, it sounds pretty (excuse my french) gay but I assure you it wont be "run around in a line and do 20 laps around the map" kind of deal. These are the kind of drills and activities one can expect in the event (will obviously be more):
-fighting left,mid,right
-pushing difficult locations
- protecting/pushing archers (more info when we do it :wink: )

It's fun and teaches you a lot about the game, as well as not being boring and useless.

SERVER/EVENT INFORMATION

DAY: THURSDAY
TIME: 6:00 EST
SERVER: WPL_CHI_1
PASSWORD: wpl
TEAMSPEAK*: 107.161.28.87

*You will be required to join TS in order to participate in the drills and pick-up scrim.

Back
Top Bottom