"hold this position" out of position when memorized division placement

Users who are viewing this thread

harpred

Recruit
not sure if this is intended or not

as you know if you arrange your troops the way you want (ie infantry in a shield wall in front, archers behind, cavalry on a flank) and go F2 -> memorize division placement, they will automatically arrange themselves that way when you "hold this position" during a battle (or start battle holding position)

the problem is that if you want to get a specific group (ie archers, infantry, skirmishers) to stand in a certain spot at some point, they seem to go to a point relative to when your character was when you did "memorize division placement" .. so for example I have my cavalry way out on the right flank and behind my troops when I "hold this position" .. but when I select the cavalry group, ride to a hill behind the enemy for example and tell them to hold position there, they will go back and to the right of me

That annoying problem makes me always try to control them through minimap. It seems there's always lag when you give order too quickly, only the first division you give order will follow your command, and they won't even follow it correctly, like holding wrong position, slow retreat .... etc. The others just stand there like a dumb fool. When I give order for two divisions to charge, the second I give command seems ussually turn out to hold position -> break formation, not charge, this one I know the cause, because when I press F1->F3, why is the command given is HOLD THE POSITION appear on the screen ?
Finally, the archer, before I ride my horse to harrass enemy archer division, I gave them order to hold position and hold the fire, and when I'm busy kill enemy I start to see my archer being killed, why? because they follow me to melee with enemy infrantry, what the heck is that ?

Sometimes the game lags on my outdated PC and some commands don't stack properly. I try to keep things simple... I only play with infantry so shield wall -> advance-> Charge. Also you need to double check the assigned default formation for every unit since there are some bad assigns there like cavalry assigned to cavalry archers??? I also merged the skirmishers into basic infantry.

Also during sieges only hold position and charge commands work? this sux...

Also during sieges only hold position and charge commands work? this sux...
sorry you're having trouble but the follow me, advance 10, back 10, well, pretty much all commands work fine. I use them all the time. imo, if someone has to simplify (which I've done until I knew better) divide troops into melee, missile, mounted, and reserves (t1, priests, women, etc)

the problem is that if you want to get a specific group (ie archers, infantry, skirmishers) to stand in a certain spot at some point, they seem to go to a point relative to when your character was when you did "memorize division placement" .. so for example I have my cavalry way out on the right flank and behind my troops when I "hold this position" .. but when I select the cavalry group, ride to a hill behind the enemy for example and tell them to hold position there, they will go back and to the right of me
yep, that F1F1 will bring them back every time. It's telling them to "hold THIS position" not "hold THAT position" Try F1 -> hold F1 move flag to hill -. release F1 to get them to stay on that hill :smile:

kwbudirt said:
yep, that F1F1 will bring them back every time. It's telling them to "hold THIS position" not "hold THAT position" Try F1 -> hold F1 move flag to hill -. release F1 to get them to stay on that hill :smile:

you mean on the command map?

Hi guys,
If you press F1-F1 you will tell your troops "Hold this position". This means, place where I am. If you, instead, push F1 and then hold F1, a flag will appear in front of you (no the minimap) and you will be able to move it to the exact place you want to place the troops (without releasing the F1-key)

CeltiberoCaesar said:
Hi guys,
If you press F1-F1 you will tell your troops "Hold this position". This means, place where I am. If you, instead, push F1 and then hold F1, a flag will appear in front of you (no the minimap) and you will be able to move it to the exact place you want to place the troops (without releasing the F1-key)
thanks!

I simplified my commands because without it they were too spread apart to form a cohesive army.

1. Inf (+ spearmen)
2. Archers (+ skirmishers)
3.Cav (+ horse skirmishers)
7. Healers (medics - only fight when winning, need alive for 10 surgery)
(& 9. Elkie the dog :smile: )

A big army will spread out way far to my left, cavalry will form up pretty much behind me, a massive gap in between them, and healers so far left they almost vanish.  Archers/skirmishers run out in front but too stupid to do a fighting withdrawal.

I have to micro-manage my 5 groups every battle, physically riding to the spot I want them and press group#,  F-1, F-1.

Back
Top Bottom