Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 11 - Some Context

Users who are viewing this thread

<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Hello all!</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">As many of you may have noticed, we have been rather busy! Last week, we visited Cologne, Germany to attend Gamescom, the largest game conference in Europe. While there, we took appointments to demonstrate some Bannerlord gameplay to the world's media. Along with this, we released a few videos which were used as part of our presentation.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">It has been great to see the excited response to the clips and we're very pleased that your feedback has been so positive! Of course, the game is still very much in development and so we had to make decisions about what to put in the videos and how it would be presented.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Here, we have compiled some of the highlights, along with a small smattering of new footage, which we want to present to you the community, along with a little explanation about some of the features.</p></br> Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/13

I want repeating crossbows.

chinese_crossbow.jpg

I know that they don't exist in Warband which is set 200 years after Bannerlord, but I want them.  :cool:

Since the world of Mount&Blade is our world with the ™® historical names filed off I'm sure they can fit repeating crossbows in there.

The Chinese were crossbow pioneers. IIRC when the Mediterraneans were stabbing each other with sharp bronze sticks, the Chinese were already using crossbows. I'm not sure what date the Chinese invented the repeating crossbows, but I'm sure they already had invented them when the Christian calender started.

So the big question is.. Will Tale Worlds (blessed be their name) give us a christmas present or a new years present? Yes, I'm speaking of blog nr. 12.

I love this game, more than I thought was possible. Also, it's amazing that you have so few blog releases. It's really weird how people here can comment about how they disapprove of how few blogs it is - complaining about it at the same time as they are hooked by the tease and drooling at their screens.

So.. where do we throw our money to make the release come later? I've had enough of games being released too soon. If that would happen to Mound & Blade - I would be sad. Sad in my eyes.

Take your time and make this game just as great as it seems to be right now! I actually have no doubt that Tale Worlds would deliver exactly that, no matter what I say, but anyways. I've had this blog as my start page for almost a year, and I've read it since the start.

Tale Worlds - no doubt the best game developers of today.

F4lcor said:
So.. where do we throw our money to make the release come later? I've had enough of games being released too soon. If that would happen to Mound & Blade - I would be sad. Sad in my eyes.

They announced that they work on Bannerlord in September 2012. That was 3 years ago. And you want to delay it even furher?
I can understand that you were scared of a release too early. I doubt that it would be too muce of a problem if they released it now. (And also a long programming phase does not guarantee a good game! eg. Duke Nukem forever)

My only problem (if you can call it that) is that there has been no news on the TaleWorlds website since Aug 11. Thats almost 4 months which is a long time to release anything about the game. Dont get me wrong, I have complete faith that the game will be good. Kepping the player thirsty for news for to long is not a good thing tbh

For those who keeps saying that they aren't working on a Single player Co-op. Of course they are working on it, why else would it take 3 years for a game to be finished...

Right? :roll:

Dazza1998 said:
My only problem (if you can call it that) is that there has been no news on the TaleWorlds website since Aug 11. Thats almost 4 months which is a long time to release anything about the game. Dont get me wrong, I have complete faith that the game will be good. Kepping the player thirsty for news for to long is not a good thing tbh

5 months of no news between blogs has been the max so far I think.

Let's start a petition :grin: One bit of information every 2 weeks. THAT would be awesome. Nothing against the game but half a year without any news is poor. This ad strategy is just quite bullsh**. Cause I, as future customer, am losing interest on the project. No doubt that this game will be awesome. But I don't know whether I'll care anymore about the game when it's finally released. And only god knows, when this will be.

I would burn your petition.

Do you want a **** game?
that's how to get a **** game.

bankert320 said:
Let's start a petition :grin: One bit of information every 2 weeks. THAT would be awesome. Nothing against the game but half a year without any news is poor. This ad strategy is just quite bullsh**. Cause I, as future customer, am losing interest on the project. No doubt that this game will be awesome. But I don't know whether I'll care anymore about the game when it's finally released. And only god knows, when this will be.

When it comes to waiting for news about a game I'm anticipating, any amount of time between new info just seems too long; doesn't matter if it is 2 weeks or 10 months, it just always feels like forever. But I'm usually more than willing to wait for it. Silence can make people lose interest, but interest will more than likely pick back up once we start getting closer to a release date. Heck, it would probably pick back up once they announce a release date.

Besides, I have better things to occupy my time. I just don't feel the need to breathe down the developer's neck.

bankert320 said:

It isn't half a year, it is just under four months. They aren't likely to change their PR policy in response to anything we do anyway; they are well aware that a lot of people would like to see regular, frequent updates. What's more, if you are genuinely not going to want to play the game when it is released simply because you haven't been fed a regular series of updates then I think you are an anomaly in the consumer world that can safely be ignored by Taleworlds.

That said, I would welcome a few screenshots every few weeks or each month, though too much info could ruin the surprise of the final game a bit.

For those of you who want more information:
Captain Lust said:
Seriously though I don't mind people being curious, or even critical! As has been pointed out, it's a good sign that people are enthusiastic about the new game (as I'd hope and expect). :smile:

I don't normally do this but since it has gained some interest (and I feel a little guilty about unfairly singling you out 578!), I'll try to give a bit of insight as to how things work and explain a little bit about my role.

So currently our next planned blog post (and there is always one) involves using visuals from the main map. We've decided not to release any blog posts without visuals, in order to meet expectations and always provide something that will please everyone with each post. Since we make our own engine, which is developed alongside the game, it's natural that as new tech is added conflicts arise. These often result in some graphical errors within the game as the artists catch up to updates in the engine, which is perfectly normal as the artists may be busy with other things. Right now, there happened to be a problem with the way the text on the map (showing the names of settlements is rendered) due to a new feature added, which ironically is part of the main subject of the blog post. In the normal course of development, this might be resolved in a month or so when one of the programmers responsible for updating the UI takes on that task as part of her or his normal workload. We could simply ignore the error but our approach is to avoid misrepresenting the game, either positively or negatively when we share information or visuals. The result, in this case, is that a hotfix has been applied to the text, which unfortunately takes time away from development (something we normally try to avoid) for the blog. It happens that this fix will be useful to us in other ways, so this time no real harm has been done...

To present something worthwhile, with visuals that we are satisfied do a good job representing the game, it can sometimes take time. If it was the case that development was more structured around sharing information then perhaps we could make more frequent posts.

Ultimately, I'm not too dissatisfied at the rate with which we share information... (don't crucify me!) It won't make the game come any faster if we share more, even though it may feel like it and in the end, that's what's important. That doesn't mean we don't hear your calls though, it just means we need to balance our efforts.

Every blog post typically has a different story but the flow is often the same: minimising extra work done specifically for the blog, while avoiding showing the game with obtrusive errors that simply sell short the excellent work done by the team.

I know I'm waffling a little but this is just the faceted nature of issues that come with sharing information. If we were working with a premade engine, as most companies do, managing this without losing time would naturally be easier. Obviously the reasons for using our own engine are separate. We have a fantastic team working on it and it's actually because they're doing so much and working so fast that these kinds of issues arise.

My role in all this is not to twiddle my thumbs and ignore the community but to help organise and find solutions, as well as arrange what we release and of course, write them! (that bit's easy though :smile:)

Will there be an option to build a small outpost/fort, maybe with one or two wooden towers and a palisade, this building should allow you to garrison 50 unit.
I have really needed this option, since I prefer using heavy cavalry which is slowed down by infantry (realistic, i know) and therefore loses some of its advantages, so I would love to have a place to garrison a relatively few units, so I can collect them for when I fare into rough terrain (were infantry is good). I would be even better if you could station a companion/hero there to help the defenses, and possibly train the villagers resulting in higher quality of available recruits.
It would also defend the village from bandits and slow down raiding parties, hopefully enough for you to arrive. The best part would be; NO MORE STOLEN CATTLE!

Btw, can we expect a Christmas Stream (on gaming.youtube, twitch etc.)?

Damn I am excited for this game :grin:

Back
Top Bottom