The Windows 10 Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

I figured we needed a thread for this. I thought it would be a good place for people to post reviews (either their own or ones they've read), opinions, first impressions, etc. Honestly, even though it's free, before I go installing it on one of my PCs, I want to know how other people feel about it and hear what -if any- **** gets flung at it by reviewers or the masses. I figured other people on here would feel the same way.

So what? Games won't use it for years, and my hardware is plenty good to run games on highest without any optimizations. It's not like I can't live without absolute highest extreme settings.

Not to mention I completely disagree with the route OS design philosophy is going, "its a service" is the most crap I've heard in a long time. No, Microsoft, it's the thing that makes my computer functional, not a premium service that I should be honored to participate in. I don't want their updates, I don't want their ads in video games, and I don't want them to watch everything I do.

Windows 7 is exactly what I want. A platform that does as close to nothing on its own as possible, because that's what an operating system is. It operates my system, not my "user experience".

I've switched, ran the upgrade tool, went flawlessly. Cortana seems mostly useless to me at the moment. Maybe when they have the app for Android and I can have Cortana everywhere it might be better. In general it seems fine, not really found anything intrusive yet.

It's fast and I like the new start menu. Instead of desktop shortcuts I pin them to the start menu - keeps things clean.

My only real irk is with consistency of some design elements (i.e. contextual menus)

I like the virtual desktop implementation. When using a touchpad you can push three fingers up to display all desktops then switch to the one you want. It's really cool if you have a different full screen virtual machine in each desktop. :smile:

Apparently there are A LOT of sound issues. Like major, massive sound issues. To the tune of not being able to customize your sound levels, difficulty in switching sound drivers, older x32 games getting their sounds ****ed because suddenly W10 isn't supporting them and those kinds of things.

Which makes me all the happy to wait until the last moment when I can get W10 for free, which is at least 6 months from release, possibly longer. When all this Day1 bull**** has been fixed.

Had an issue with AMD drivers for a day or so. But that has been fixed and now the driver runs better than ever.

Ever since installing Windows 10 every 3d game of mine has been stuttering every few seconds; including one from 2003, and also Warrider which usually runs at 1000 fps.

Seems to also be associated with continuous inputs- holding the w key for a few seconds and then pressing a or d seems to cause lag; and continuous mouse movement seems to cause lag also. Any settings that might be set to default that would **** **** up in this way?

No lag on Roller Coaster Tycoon (2, so that was still a 2d game in 2002) or Locomotion. (another 2d game, 2004)

**** Windows 10.

Are there more recent drivers for your card? As I said, I did have trouble with my AMD card until I updated to the most recent drivers. I was getting like 10fps in every game. Now there aren't any issues with any game, new or old.

Installing NVIDIA updates now, thanks for the advice havoc. :party:

edit: whoops, didn't work. lag continues.

Try removing the driver completely and use this tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 to ensure that it doesn't come down from Windows Updates then install it again from the NVIDIA site.

Jhessail said:
Which makes me all the happy to wait until the last moment when I can get W10 for free, which is at least 6 months from release, possibly longer. When all this Day1 bull**** has been fixed.

Since I only switched from WinXP to Windows 8 in November, I'm personally hoping to get another 10 years out of Windows 8 before I have to upgrade to Windows 10.

Reinstalled the NVIDIA driver but the problems persist.

I've got a GTX 750M but never had a problem with this sort of lag before windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom