B Tutorial 3D [VC] Customising Armours Tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

kraggrim

Marquis
jHNEl.jpg

Customising Armours

This tutorial is not about creating your own from scratch, it's about mixing up the
existing armour parts and accessories to create something unique. An example is the image
above where Orm's Byrnie now has a wolf head rather than a bear. The way Viking Conquest's
armours have been set up makes this very easy (well done Lenny). If you already know how to
use Open BRF then you probably don't need this, I'm just writing a VC-specific tutorial to help
those who don't.

1. Get Open Brf.

2. Go to your /modules/Viking Conquest/resource folder and make a backup of
vc_armors_generic.brf.

3. Open up vc_armors_generic.brf in OpenBRF, and you'll see a list of armours down the
left hand side. Near the bottom you'll see thor_armor. We'll work with this one since it
is only worn by one npc in the story game (and I think none in sandbox) so it's a good
candidate for near-unique player armour.

4. thor_armor is the base armor, the .1 to.5 are the accessories and neck. All the armours
follow this basic setup, though sometimes the ordering is different so check before
duplicating/deleting. You want all these to be subsequent, don't put any of your
backups or whatever between the parts of an armour (or its lods).

5. The .lod2.1 etc are the versions that appear at long distances. They are less detailed
so put less unnecessary strain on the computer. If you're only doing an armour for the
player then you don't need to worry about these, there will only be one instance and
generally the camera will be close. If you're modifying an armour that will be used by
troops then you'll want to work with these, but the system is easy to figure out.

6. For this example we will do as I mentioned above and swap a wolf skin for the bear skin
on Orm's Byrnie/thor_amor. Go up the list and find "Chain_Wolf_01.1". Right-click on this
and select Duplicate (near the top of the menu).

7. Select copy_Chain_Wolf_01.1 and use Alt+down-arrow to move it down the list until it is
next to thor_armor.1 .

8. Rename thor_armor.1 to something else, thor_armorX.1 or whatever you want, and move it
out of the way so it is between the thor_armor and Scalemail02.lod3.2 above.

9. Rename copy_Chain_Wolf_01.1 to thor_armor.1, it should now look like this:
S8RI7.jpg
And that's basically it. You can change the base armour too in this way, duplicate whole
armours, add multiple accessories. Not everything will fit together but play around with it. You
can check for clipping etc by running it through animations (between the list and the grey
image window).

Further reading

10. If you want to use parts or armors from one of the cultural armours, say an Irish
cloak, you can do that too. Save your work then open up vc_armours_irish.brf and find
"Chain_Irish_03.1". Right click on this and select "Export rigged mesh".

11. Open up the generic armours brf and then go the Import menu at the top and select
"Rigged mesh" then find the file you previously exported and import it. Then do the steps
from point 7 above.

12. You can also change the look of an armour by altering its material:
sNwYR.jpg
Click the Material button and it will show the armours material in
a separate materials brf.

13. There will probably be another couple of version you can swap in next to it.
Here is one armour with materials vc_armor01, 02 and 03:
2Iygd.jpg
Go back to the armours brf and change the material to the name of the one you want.
Also note that the belt-pouch can use the same material as the main armour, so you
probably want to pick ones that share a single material.

If you want to edit the stats or make a whole new armour then use programs called Morgh's
Editor or MB Barracks. Plus there are tons of tutorials and posts on this aspect in the
Forge section of the forum.
If you have visual problems then look through the OpenBRF section I previously linked, plenty
of help there.

To view a newly made armour (or any new items you've added) in the cheat-menu follow this guide.

Be aware that completely new created armours won't have the medium or heavy armour
penalties, just how the system works for now.

Also remember that when the game updates it may very well overwrite the brfs, so you might
want to make a copy once you've made the changes.

So yeah, that's it. Post any tips or steps I've forgotten about and some pictures of your
favourite creations.

cpTSw.jpg

Alternative Wolf Skin
-0xOy.jpg
wHN6O.jpg
Download

Just extract it with 7zip or whatever then import it as a rigged mesh into your desired brf, then rename/replace as in the instructions in the first post. Can be used without the head part (or the fasteners) if desired.

By the way - the chainmails have 3 different "skins" available. The usual one, the blueish with gold details and the dark one.
In most cases you should be able to change these skins without any problems.
But beware the belt-bags - they use the same texture as the armor, so if you change the skin, you should better choose
a fitting belt-bag, too, as otherwise the game would have to load an extra texture only for this bag of the armorˆˆ

And if you just select chain_wolf_01.1 and run the man_walk anim, you get a bizarre wolf thing doing a swagger with its arms crossed.  :lol: Put a smile on my face.

EDIT: oh gods, if you select the wolf skin on its own and run the anim_horse you get a horrifying manifestation of evil that will crawl down your spine and eat your liver...

SomeHairyGuy said:
EDIT: oh gods, if you select the wolf skin on its own and run the anim_horse you get a horrifying manifestation of evil that will crawl down your spine and eat your liver...

Try running one of the naked bodies with a horse animation  :grin:.

I spliced together some Norse-Pictish armour. Really liked Pictish hoods, but found them impractical late game. Then I liked Norse armour, but wanted something a bit more Scottish. So I took a Pictish hood, changed the vertex colour a bit, made the Norse armour the _02 red material, added an ulfheðnir pouch around the waist, made the trousers plaid.

Ended up with this.

D44ACAC552A7EA7DD5174CC5C1BD3C0A4C339114

Thanks for the guide, pretty easy to follow especially with some past modding experience from other games :smile:

Many thanks for making this sir,

here is what i have made
EbabK5Y.jpg

solthas said:
I have made my armor, but I can't find in game. What am I doing wrong?

Do you mean you created a new armour using Morgh's or something like that? Or you just adjusted the look of an existing armour in openBRF? You'll have to clarify.

Sorry, I used OPENBRF and created the armor using the tutorial above. I am not sure if I missed a step somewhere.

Ok, so you have to make an existing armour use that model. Change the mesh of an existing armour to the name of what you created using Morgh's or mb barracks.

Or create a new armour with this mesh using those programs, then  give it a really high abundance value and wait for it to show up in shops.

-hSgR.jpg

Tried it myself: Isn't too great, but I'm rather happy with it considering it's my first time customising something with OpenBRF. I tried for a Norse chainmail with mostly Celtic styles. Thanks for the guide.

First off, just want to say i have little to no modding exp of any kind, and this guide was extremely helpful, so a big tnx! Been playing around with it for an hr or so now and im happy things are actually working but have yet to find a way to have the armors i make fit on female rigs as well as the male ones, like the normal game armors do. So my question is, how do ya make armors unisex or do you have to make 2 different versions?

It doesn't adjust them automatically when you place on a female character? Hmm. Try right-clicking on the armour in OpenBRF and selecting 'Add feminized frame'.  Maybe some are missing it or something.

Ah ok, that fixed it. Added a norse fur to a scailmail to test it out but have to add the feminize option to the piece i added to. Was very odd looking with the fur floating on top of the armor  :shock: tnx!

Takeshi said:
Ah ok, that fixed it. Added a norse fur to a scailmail to test it out but have to add the feminize option to the piece i added to. Was very odd looking with the fur floating on top of the armor  :shock: tnx!
Actually every armor should have feminize-frame, except they are obviously nacked male bodies.
But "norse fur"... I think you mean the norse chainmails with fur attached? Or do you mean the chainmails with bear-/wolfskin attached?
They should have feminize frame o_O

Back
Top Bottom