Mission Statement

Users who are viewing this thread

Lynores

Baron
I have decided to write this brief post here, after reading criticism over some forums around the web regarding the hostility towards new folks here. Some could be spammers, or caps lock junkies, or whatnot. It doesn’t matter, I’m sure there are some exceptions, and it is not up for the members to judge, except report.

When a newcomer starts a thread, I either try to welcome him right after that or (when I’m late) sometimes try to make a point after it turns into a flame war. Usually to no avail, so I thought I’d rather post here so perhaps some would come to agree with me.

Many folks try out the game, then check the boards and try to get familiarized with the community before purchasing it. Now some of you might be wondering, why the hell does it concern me? I make no profit out of it - In fact, I believe it does concern all of us, and we all make a profit from it, be it financial or otherwise - especially the modding community and it’s supporters. A well treated, welcomed newcomer probably means another customer and also a good reference for other people to join us. A sixteen year old might come in asking silly questions, for instance, but he might as well have other five or six friends, who might or might not behave the same way. In the worst case, we get seven new players, Armagan gets more customers, the community gets a good reference, and more people (even publishers at some point) will come to know of M&B and their mods at a faster rate. Some of them might become a modder as well, or perhaps already is a modder from another engine or platform (yes, I mean the “you’ll never make it – you’re doomed” words whenever a low ranked member posts some mod plan with a work in progress – Some of my best researchers are recruits, simply because they do not spam, or come from other forums like TWC. A couple years ago I've purchased and started modding M&B before even making an account on the boards, when we relied on noobsaibot hex editor and several minutes to get a single model ingame. When I first announced my intentions on making a mod I was - guess what, a recruit. We can never foresee their determination from their ranks alone. It doesn’t mean anything).

It does sound pretty logical, but we still see occasional members bursting on new people. Now what is the point in going ballistic over those folks? Of course, some violate the forum rules, but that’s why the moderators are there. Still, most if not all of them (mods and admins) don’t overreact to newcomers like some oldtimers (and also a few oldtimer wannabes).

As a suggestion, if we’re not bothered to write, or think we’ll come out rude, just ignoring the thread and letting someone else do it, or quoting the violated rule in question and writing a small sentence beneath would be enough to get them on their tracks. I am not referring to those five-simultaneous-I want to annoy you-threads folks, of course, since those would deserve a report so admins can decide what to do with them themselves.

Do not get me wrong, I know it is annoying sometimes. But come to think of it, what’s more annoying? Seeing a couple new people posting silly (and hopefully ignored/locked) threads or bumping on a flame war every four out of ten times?

My statement is, let us welcome potential players and supporters, and let admins sort them out.

Thank you Lynores.
It is always easier to do something rash to a newbie, and something we should guard against.
Disappointed to hear that our forum is being mislabeled though.

In general we are very open to newcomers and more than that, helpful.
We cannot however cater for those newcomers who refuse to conform to basic forum etiquette.
Neither do we persist in attacking once the individual has learnt his lesson.
I'd like to inset a quote...

[quote author=Forum Member]
There are rules around here but most boil down to forms of forum etiquette:
~1~ Be as coherent and grammatically correct as your skill allows. We will never bash anyone who has poor English skills, but writing blatantly below your ability is not something that is popular. Spellcheck is there to be used, so why not use it? Lazy isn't an excuse.
~2~ Keep Caps Lock off. People will just ignore you if you attempt to "shout" at them.
~3~ Tiny text is restricted to size 7 - and nothing below this. It isn't really cute any more to waste your time trying to blow up a teensy jest. It usually never brings out a laugh anyway because you irritated the person first. Also, keep large text below or at size 40.
~4~ All things in moderation. Don't overdo it on the emoticons, invisible text or any other posting features.
~5~ Don't double post. If you want to add something to your post then use the "Modify" tab above your message.
~6~ Thou shalt not spam. The TaleWorlds forum offers a place for every comment you might like to make, just learn to put it in the right place.
~7~ Obey the Law of the land. If you receive a warning from an Administrator or Moderator - take heed and learn.
~8~ Don't be rude to questions. Especially those of newcomers, and think before you react, and when you do react do so sensibly.
~9~ Use the database. Use the search function before you start a new topic. It is also appreciated if you search for answers to your questions before you ask.
~10~ This is a community. If you are given help, give that same help to those you have answers for.

This isn't an iron regime, but offences are treated with military precision. You won't get far if you start to push your luck.
We have our fun at the appropriate places, and we have it in big doses!
When in doubt, follow the line of common courtesy - and you will be recognised for it.
[/quote]

This is not a lot to ask of a newbie.
I have the worst spelling you could imagine. I am terrible at it. But never just ignore it and post.
So as long as members bring decency with them, the welcome mat will always be there.

Thanks.

Agreed, it's not asking much, but there are several factors involved. People whose native language isn't english, those that do speak english but have spelling problems, those who pop up in excitement about the game and just write off their minds without reading anything first, etc. The very quote you used above (all of your message, for that matter) is an example of what would be more than enough for them to get on their tracks (EDIT - with no overreaction ), like I said.

Nightblade+-- said:
~8~ Don't be rude to questions. Especially those of newcomers, and think before you react, and when you do react do so sensibly.

We ARE an elitist gathering of sad mother****ers, true.

I'd like to think that TW is a haven of near-intelligence in the rolling sea of stupidity that the Internet is comprised of today, but I might be biased.

Lynores said:
Thanks.

Agreed, it's not asking much, but there are several factors involved. People whose native language isn't english, those that are actually americans or english, but with spelling problems, those who pop up in excitement about the game and just write off their minds without reading anything first, etc. The very quote you used above (all of your message, for that matter) is an example of what would be more than enough for them to get on their tracks, like I said.

I'd like to say that I don't usually bug newcomers about spelling - they might even be dyslexic, or, as you , say, not be gifted with English as their first language. Still, I find it hard to swallow when people throw away the punctuation as well :???:

I like your initiative :smile:

Thanks, Seff.

-----------------------------------

I didn't post it to lecture anyone of course, just to add a new point of view. Feel free to reply whatever you want.

I also agree. I try to be as helpful as possible when someone new comes along (especially in the Forge, where the flames are likely to jump highest when someone asks for a mod), and I like to think that several nasty spots have been avoided by doing so.

I agree with everything you said Lynores. I'm quite conscious of what it's like to be a newcomer at forums, and I try to be quite welcoming and helpful where possible. Unfortunately, I feel it can be an uphill struggle to undo a newcomer's first impression negatively coloured by people who shoot down their ideas for sport, or bluntly tell them their post is in the wrong place, they should use the search function, or learn to write 'properly'. A particular grievance of mine is when people do this purely to boost their own post-count, without having anything to contribute to the discussion.

Llew2 said:
I also agree. I try to be as helpful as possible when someone new comes along (especially in the Forge, where the flames are likely to jump highest when someone asks for a mod), and I like to think that several nasty spots have been avoided by doing so.
Yea, remember krumy or whatever Hraefn came back as? :grin:

Morgoth2005 said:
Llew2 said:
Yea, remember krumy or whatever Hraefn came back as? :grin:

It was Lep that fell for that, wasn't it?

I agree with this. Although I would like to note that the guys who go all blitzkrieg on new members are usually the same. It doesn't take much to be welcoming rather than harsh, "please, use the edit button instead of double posting" is a lot better than "DON'T DOUBLE POST!!".
Also I do see a lot of backseat moderating such as "why haven't this thread been closed yet?", which kind of irritate me, but thats just me.

Good post Lynores, when you put it like that I think a lot of people could be more welcoming (including myself).

Another thing I see happening is one forum member will point something out, like using the search for example, and then four more people feel obliged to say exactly the same thing, usually a lot blunter then the first person.

Lost-Lamb said:
D'Sparil said:
Also I do see a lot of backseat moderating such as "why haven't this thread been closed yet?", which kind of irritate me, but thats just me.
This annoys me too to no end.

For you LL you have two choices:
1. Ban the backseat moderaters to make yourself feel better.
2. Drink even more alcohols

I found ignoring people I don't like to be much more effective (I'm looking at that Chobo character here)

I'd like to be the first to object. Lynores, you seem to be implying that we're extremely anti-newbie here.

In a sense that's true, if a new member comes along and breaks the fundamental rules of netiquette, spamming, writing badly (there is a spell check remember, grammar is completely different from bad spelling and bad punctuation) and generally being annoying then I hardly see why we should tolerate them just in case they're actually nice people.

I have a personal experience of this. I joined the forum at the age of 12/13, spammed like an idiot and got banned.

Am I sad about that? No not really. I didn't get turned away from the community, and I didn't get turned away from buying M&B. I've persuaded a lot of my friends to buy the game and when I came back (roughly a year ago) it was with a bit more maturity. From then on I've enjoyed being a member without continually provoking and annoying other members (feel free to argue)

I'd rather have been able to take a step back, grow up and step forwards than be "tolerated" and left to look like an idiot, then have to change peoples' perceptions of me afterwards.

But I'd also like to point out that we're not really as newbie unfriendly as you seem to be implying. Sure, annoying newbies get sent away, as it were, either by the community or from a ban. But we've had a good two or three members joining recently (or becoming active) and I can honestly say that they've been welcomed.

As long as a newcomer acts sensibly and makes an attempt to type coherently I can honestly say they have no problems at all. And the same is true of the "newbie questions" that we're "so rude to." You'll find that the majority of "I love this game" threads are met with welcomes and occasionally facetious but gentle explanations that there are introduction threads. Questions in the Newbie Forum are never flamed. Partly because that involves an instant perma-ban, but mostly because we've all been there, we know perfectly well what it's like to not know something, or to be new to netiquette and that questions in the Newbie Forum are exactly that, Newbie questions.

So sure, you can complain that newbs are shunned or disliked, but I'd like one example of a newbie who has made a reasonable effort to fit in and who then has become alienated from the community.

Also, regarding the post count issue. I know that it's hard to take someone seriously when they have a recruit icon above their avatar. I'd be in favour of taking out ranks altogether (without wanting to backseat moderate) simply to get rid of this problem, but then again it's not only the post count that... counts. Locke Foreer is still a recruit, yet most people I think would agree that he is becoming an established long term member. I also doubt that, after reaching Knight rank, people care about post count any more. Once a member has a good couple of hundred posts it's usually taken for granted that said member will be mature enough not to have been banned yet. Before that it's the same as in any society on the planet, you have to prove yourself through your actions to become accepted.

It's perhaps a different story on the modding forum, which I don't visit too often (ever) in which case your criticisms might well be valid, but in that case why complain about the community as a whole? If it's a specific problem, why, it's something to be addressed specifically!

Anyway to conclude for all you tl:dr people. No, I don't think we're newbie unfriendly at all. Post count matters very little after the first hundred or so posts. Simple netiquette is more than enough to avoid being flamed.

Cleaning Agent:

Thanks for taking the time with that long reply.

Cleaning Agent said:
I have a personal experience of this. I joined the forum at the age of 12/13, spammed like an idiot and got banned.

Am I sad about that? No not really. I didn't get turned away from the community, and I didn't get turned away from buying M&B. I've persuaded a lot of my friends to buy the game and when I came back (roughly a year ago) it was with a bit more maturity. From then on I've enjoyed being a member without continually provoking and annoying other members (feel free to argue)

I am glad you did. However, this might be a rule, or might be an exception. My point was about not risking it.

EDIT: By the way, the ban was for spamming, which is an administrator prerogative. My post was about members' overreaction.

I'd rather have been able to take a step back, grow up and step forwards than be "tolerated" and left to look like an idiot, then have to change peoples' perceptions of me afterwards.

I disagree with that one. Provided the person has enough insight, he will learn either from a polite reply or a harsh one. I'd bet on the former. If he does change his behavior, it is highly unlikely that people will indefinitely mock his future posts or act with any prejudice. If he doesn't, the admins will obviously deal with him. Either way, I don't see a reason for members' judgement.

So sure, you can complain that newbs are shunned or disliked, but I'd like one example of a newbie who has made a reasonable effort to fit in and who then has become alienated from the community.

I haven't started this thread to mention any names, really.

It's perhaps a different story on the modding forum, which I don't visit too often (ever) in which case your criticisms might well be valid, but in that case why complain about the community as a whole? If it's a specific problem, why, it's something to be addressed specifically!

Unfortunately outside criticism does not mention specific sections of our board, nor specific people, but the community as a whole. The post wasn't directed at anyone (or any subforum) in particular for that reason.

Lynores said:
I am glad you did. However, this might be a rule, or might be an exception. My point was about not risking it.

EDIT: By the way, the ban was for spamming, which is an administrator prerogative. My post was about members' overreaction.

My point was that the community had me marked as an idiot. I overstepped the line at that point and got banned for it. I've seen plenty of other newbies do the same.

The community doesn't judge forever though. If a person comes back reformed it's usually fine. That isn't being unfriendly to newbies, it's being unfriendly to undesirable members.

I disagree with that one. Provided the person has enough insight, he will learn either from a polite reply or a harsh one. I'd bet on the former. If he does change his behavior, it is highly unlikely that people will mock his next posts or act with any prejudice. If he doesn't, the admins will obviously deal with him. Either way, I don't see a reason for members' judgement.

But it's exactly the people who have no insight or ability to see the line they're stepping over that get flamed. If you can see that you're an idiot, and then you change, you're unlikely to go complaining across the internet about it because you'll then have been accepted. It's my guess that the people who complain are the people who get banned for being idiots.

And if members aren't allowed to express their opinions on people who are overstepping that line then what's the point in coming to a forum in the first place? I like this place specifically because there's no mollycoddling of new people, if someone is an idiot they learn or leave. Or in some cases stay on, while being generally disliked. I can think of two examples of that sort who are currently active on the boards. No names though, as you said.

I haven't started this thread to mention any names, really.

My point was that there really aren't any names to give. That was an invalid criticism on your part, or on the part of exterior ciritics, that new people are unwelcome.

More accurate would be that idiot people aren't welcome. Which is hardly something one should criticise.

Unfortunately outside criticism do not mention specific sections of our board, nor specific people, but the community as a whole. The post wasn't directed at anyone (or any subforum) in particular for that reason.

Half of the main paragraph in your post was dedicated to modding and I've never seen you in off topic, so I was assuming you stayed mostly in the modding board. Sorry about that.
I've also, as you can tell, never seen most of what you talked about, so I simply assumed it was in the Forge.

I'd like a few examples of this outside criticism as well. I'd be interested to see what other people think of us.

The community doesn't judge forever though. If a person comes back reformed it's usually fine. That isn't being unfriendly to newbies, it's being unfriendly to undesirable members.

My point exactly with the above reply.

But it's exactly the people who have no insight or ability to see the line they're stepping over that get flamed. If you can see that you're an idiot, and then you change, you're unlikely to go complaining across the internet about it because you'll then have been accepted. It's my guess that the people who complain are the people who get banned for being idiots.

Certainly, some of them. There are also those who come in, ask something naive and get burnt over it. Some of them might have even given up the game altogether. They even bring up that issue themselves in this forum. I'm not quoting examples, though.

Half of the main paragraph in your post was dedicated to modding and I've never seen you in off topic, so I was assuming you stayed mostly in the modding board. Sorry about that.
I've also, as you can tell, never seen most of what you talked about, so I simply assumed it was in the Forge.

My replies are mainly over mod related threads. But I do read most subforums.

I'd like a few examples of this outside criticism as well. I'd be interested to see what other people think of us.

Google for "taleworlds" "community" and some of the mods' names, you'll find them.

My point was that there really aren't any names to give. That was an invalid criticism on your part, or on the part of exterior ciritics, that new people are unwelcome.
More accurate would be that idiot people aren't welcome. Which is hardly something one should criticise.

I believe I've made my point in the previous replies. You obviously disagree but I respect your opinion, of course. I'll leave the possible debate to others now.

Back
Top Bottom