"It seems that someone went through your inventory and has stolen..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Dymetreus

Regular
Basically, my party is often times stealing items from my inventory, with little to no reason that I can see. At first, I thought it was due to an, 'Average' morale. Honestly I feel as if Average should be enough to stop this, but I went further and even if it's at Excellent, I will see my party stealing things from me when I have a large amount of them.

It's a really big problem, because I merchandise. It takes a lot of effort to get certain goods, and to have them just stolen even when my soldiers are very satisfied with their current situation makes me feel the game is punishing me for flourishing.

Am I doing something wrong that I'm unaware of? Why are my soldiers stealing my goods?

Dymetreus said:
It's a really big problem, because I merchandise. It takes a lot of effort to get certain goods, and to have them just stolen even when my soldiers are very satisfied with their current situation makes me feel the game is punishing me for flourishing.

You did see the bit about the faction marshal can take troops out of your garrison if you have "too many"?  This seems completely in line with the developers attitudes to balance and player activity.

Not saying I think its a good decision, but it does fit the other balancing and mechanics that they have implemented.

The_Normal_Anomaly said:
Dymetreus said:

You did see the bit about the faction marshal can take troops out of your garrison if you have "too many"?  This seems completely in line with the developers attitudes to balance and player activity.

Not saying I think its a good decision, but it does fit the other balancing and mechanics that they have implemented.

What does this have to do with having too many troops in my garrison? I don't even -have- a garrison, unless you consider My Refuge one. It's one thing that they take troops out of a castle for having too many, (to which I actually am in debate about) but it's another when I build up my inventory skill only to find it useless since you cannot use it unless you want things stolen from you.

It's unrealistic, it's unnecessary, and most importantly, it is hypocritical. What's the point of having Inventory Management high if the game punishes you for having too many goods? It's without logic. Enough so that I'm readily about to quit the game, since it punishes you for being in the late game. It's not unbalanced, it simply means I wish to use the trait which was specifically designed for people who handle a lot of goods, or have large armies which need a large stockpile of food.

I can kinda see why having too many troops in a garrison is a problem, because the AI will basically -always- turn away, never attacking a place. But what am I abusing here? My level? A trait in a game, intended for the purpose of what I'm doing? I -pray- this is not the reason. Also I ask for your forgiveness if I sounded rude to you, it wasn't intended. I'm just angered that this could be a possible explanation, because if it is true...

Let's just say if it's true then I'll be more angered then several poor game decisions combined.

I think he just means the devs' methods regarding game balance (of which the much-beloved garrison theft is a prime example), which on the whole seem really antagonistic and too much like artificial difficulty.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,319639.msg7769489.html#msg7769489

JuJu70 said:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,319639.msg7769489.html#msg7769489

After reading a bit, unless I misunderstood, there's a 'round about chance of 2%, correct? If so... as mentioned previously, why do they keep stealing it -constantly-? Is it 2% chance EACH item? If so, what's the general idea of implementing this?

Honestly, I could go on how this ruins Inventory Management and the point of attempting to be wealthy, and being punished for little to no reason, but I've already stated those feelings. This is generally speaking game breaking for me. I'm a merchant, I go from one place to another nearly constantly, putting said valuables in a chest or something akin to it isn't a choice.

One of my more common trade routes, I go in a circle. I buy stuff from that town, sell stuff I got from the previous town, and go around in a circle for profit. A lot harder and more time consuming then it sounds, but never the less there is literally -no- way to save my goods from my own troops! I had them consume over 2,000 penings in the past in between traveling from one town to another! It's heavily common, to the point I often don't even make due. There's no stopping except when I need my soldiers to rest, or sell prisoners from the foolish bandits and vikings which try to take me and my soldiers on. Putting the items in a chest won't save them, because in order to sell them, I need to take them out.. I'm sure you get the point.

I'd very much like to figure out how to at least disable this option. I like challenges, but how am I supposed to defeat this? By simply.. not having anymore then a few items? So basically I'm heavily discouraged from progressing in the game from a financial standpoint? At least concerning merchandising. Which seems odd, considering there's two traits that encourages that style of gameplay... (Trade and Inventory Management)

This is the most insane implementation I've ever witnessed in a game, and I've been playing games all my life.

I'd very much like to figure out how to at least disable this option. I like challenges, but how am I supposed to defeat this? By simply.. not having anymore then a few items? So basically I'm disallowed from progressing in the game from a financial standpoint?

travel with a smaller party (<70).

Only alcohol, and high-end poorly tradeable items are checked (such as jewellery, amber etc). If you go around trading wool and timber that won't affect you at all.  Your inventory_management skill is also used.

Thievery is and was a common thing, so no you can't safeguard against it, consider it a realism feature.

It's all fun and games until someone steals your soapstone you needed to complete a quest... wonder where they hide it.

Although it would be funny if the % chance of stuff going missing goes up if you have robbers in your party.

JuJu70 said:
I'd very much like to figure out how to at least disable this option. I like challenges, but how am I supposed to defeat this? By simply.. not having anymore then a few items? So basically I'm disallowed from progressing in the game from a financial standpoint?

Only alcohol, and high-end poorly tradeable items are checked (such as jewellery, amber etc). If you go around trading wool and timber that won't affect you at all.  Your inventory_management skill is also used.

Thievery is and was a common thing, so no you can't safeguard against it, consider it a realism feature.

Realism this, realism that. I don't see how this makes the game FUN. If I wanted to know history, I'd go read a book, or play a game that's TRULY realistic. I don't recall history informing us about a single man who took on entire armies, who took over the world that was available to him, and united all of the people under one banner. Who also managed to see a medieval medic, which heals any wound you may encounter, even ones which today would be considered deadly. Every time I see 'realism' when it comes to this game, it's often put in the place where an excuse would go for not being able to make the game more intense in a fun way.

'High-end poorly tradeable items', the -player- should be the one which dictates that. Besides, are you not aware of how much fur sells for? You purchase it for 20-30 each, and sell it for 410 each. Mead? You can make a 400-500 profit each. Believe it or not, but I can just about make a profit out of ANY item in the game, given the travel and dedication to do it. I can go on and on, but honestly it just sounds like the developers wanted to make a simulator for the medieval ages, slaughtering gameplay for the sake of realism, even if it puts fun to the stake. I've put thousands of hours into Warband, and within less then a week, 136 hours into Viking Conquest.

Before I nope out of this game entirely, let me show you just how messed up it really is. The game offers you several traits, encouraging you to do many things, all of which you must make a choice. I chose the Trader route, having high Leadership to defend me while I trade, having high Trade to purchase goods at a lower price, and selling them for higher. I also got up Inventory Management, for obvious reasons. "It's... perfect!" I felt.

Then this comes along. This is what the game is telling me; "You have too many troops! You have too many goods!" this is what I think back, "But I only have 100, there's many of those who have 200, or even those who have 500!" "So? This game is realistic, so you must suffer, even though the AI Lords suffer no repercussions for the same things you do. Even if this game isn't even that realistic. Even if it makes Leadership, Inventory Management, and even Trade to a minor extent much less useful. That'll teach you for trying to get bandits to stop attacking you!"

Seems silly, but in reality this specific, 'realism' update adds nothing to the game. So if the developers are this consumed with realism, to the point that they don't mind and even justify their butchering of entire traits, (and even potentially the game it's self) then there is little hope for the game. I'm stopping here while I'm ahead. I haven't been more disappointed with a game in my entire life. Consider this thread, 'solved'.

Dymetreus said:
JuJu70 said:

I've put thousands of hours into Warband, and within less then a week, 136 hours into Viking Conquest.

Man I dont mean to be horrible but you need a job or just some fresh air!!! Id be lucky to get 136 hours to myself in an entire month!

On the subject 100 men to accompany a merchant ? I was running about with 20 Svear warriors with 10 tier 1s, not a single bandit could take me ! I even managed to take down a lord (only once but still)

I'm gonna throw in 2 cents - I get driven up the wall at the prospect of player handicaps or limitations that are introduced with the aim of realism that only affect the player and not the AI. I would use some of these hardcore realism features if only they affected the AI as well. For example, I've never seen the AI suffer unit defection from low morale, so I just mod morale to be a lot more lenient. The playing field between player and AI needs to be level before we can really talk about balance and realism.

EDIT: @Dymetreus' post - that's 80.8% of your week  :shock: ... that leaves about 32 hours for sleeping, and everything else, which boils down to 4.5hrs a night. 4 and a half hours in every 24hr cycle that you're not playing M&B Warband: Viking Conquest. Are you sure you don't just leave your computer running?!

Dymetreus is hard-core!  Hope you come back to the game in the future , sounds like you were getting a lot out of it.  I guess lost stock is just something you have to work into your business plan.

For example, I've never seen the AI suffer unit defection from low morale, so I just mod morale to be a lot more lenient. The playing field between player and AI needs to be level before we can really talk about balance and realism.

LOL, the AI is dumb as a stump and mostly hardcoded anyways. The lords do suffer attrition when their party size is bigger than what they can afford, and garrisons are reduced depending on prosperity. If you want a level field, game will be over after ~5min. I have yet to see AI in any of the strategy games that is not severely "helped", in some games it cheats in everything and plays by totally different rules (*cough*, EU series).

So basically, this comes down to you as a player, are you willing to overcome what are mainly nuisance events, or you just climbing up the wall every time smth bad happens (that actually can be easily avoided).

so, long story short. if i have under 70 men, theft will stop?

tbh, that feature is quite dumb, specially because 2% is nowhere near what really happens.

in just a small trip from northvgr to mainland englaland my troops drank 2 mead, stole 2 soapstone and 2 furs.

seriously? 2500 penning gone, just like that.

if you wanted realism we should also get the option to "search ship for stolen items" and "execute thieves to make an example" now, that would be realism.

Charlies said:

tbh, that feature is quite dumb, specially because 2% is nowhere near what really happens.

in just a small trip from northvgr to mainland englaland my troops drank 2 mead, stole 2 soapstone and 2 furs.

if you wanted realism we should also get the option to "search ship for stolen items" and "execute thieves to make an example" now, that would be realism.

You can disable the theft issue using tweaks.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348186.0.html

Charlies said:

I must admit the idea of hunting down the thief is something I like. Perhaps also add a respect and or fear counter sort of like reputation where the higher it goes the lower the theft chance goes? Can raise fear based on your punishment methods with some one time morale hits? Or perhaps ability to hire inventory guards? I mean if realism is the reason these would be nice, hard to script maybe? But would it not be same line as the scrip that causes stealing anyway but with added line to check respect level or if party has guards?

Maybe ability to add the inventory thief to the prisoner list for x amount of time?

Adammcbane said:
I must admit the idea of hunting down the thief is something I like. Perhaps also add a respect and or fear counter sort of like reputation where the higher it goes the lower the theft chance goes? Can raise fear based on your punishment methods with some one time morale hits? Or perhaps ability to hire inventory guards? I mean if realism is the reason these would be nice, hard to script maybe? But would it not be same line as the scrip that causes stealing anyway but with added line to check respect level or if party has guards?

Maybe ability to add the inventory thief to the prisoner list for x amount of time?

I don't see any tech limitation to your ideas.

But as the game is out of production, you can either mod it (do the coding work yourself) or see if a mod will add something in that line.

If you would like to learn more about modding you can visit the modding section.

Back
Top Bottom