Town Relation

Users who are viewing this thread

aaron274

Recruit
I am playing a campaign as a lord of the kingdom of Northumbria. My character is a pagan. I have a number of fiefs, all of which are Christian. Now all of those fiefs relation with me is slowly dropping to the point that I cannot recruit units in them and don't get my tax tariffs. I know about the random events that occur when I enter the town that allow me to increase or decrease my relation. The relation gain from those events is not large enough for me to maintain even close to positive relations with my fiefs.

Now How on earth do I maintain positive relation with my fiefs as a pagan? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

aaron274 said:
I am playing a campaign as a lord of the kingdom of Northumbria. My character is a pagan. I have a number of fiefs, all of which are Christian. Now all of those fiefs relation with me is slowly dropping to the point that I cannot recruit units in them and don't get my tax tariffs. I know about the random events that occur when I enter the town that allow me to increase or decrease my relation. The relation gain from those events is not large enough for me to maintain even close to positive relations with my fiefs.

Now How on earth do I maintain positive relation with my fiefs as a pagan? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Well, it is not being pagan, it is having a bad reputation with the Christians.

Now, mind you it is tough to improve your relation with a religion when you are not a member of it, but there are a few ways to do so. Help Christians when they are attacked. Make the picks in the incidents that favor Christians.

Only easy way though is to convert. This will stop the constant lowering.

I pretty much stop caring about my fort relations with the locals, mainly because I can't make any sense of it. Whether I'm Christian or Pagan, build everything including temples or build nothing Im hated. I haven't gotten to the point of owning a town so I don't know if that's different than owning a fort. Seems to me if I'm building and fortifying a fort the local peeps would be a little more cooperative and appreciative. My God! they're there because it is a fort. The incidents that happen giving you a choice of some kind will only give you a point and the next time you come back to the fort your down another 15. Seems like Im constantly fighting 30 locals just to enter MY fort.

A town that hates you is easier to tame. You can do jobs for the Mayor that will help improve your relations with the common folk and you can go to the mead hall and buy everybody a drink every once in a while. Also if you have money it´s possible to get positive results from most of the random events that will pop up when you go back to your town.

I've reported that problem to the Dev Team since the relations seem to drop down even if nothing happens to warrant it. I've held a fort with a majority of pagans for quite a while now and I can't get it over -100 relations because every time I'm there and increse my relations to -90 or so, when I return it dropped down again.

I don't even use forts anymore for anything else besides keeping troops and sometimes doing a symbel to raise moral of my men. It's too risky: Either I myself get attacked by the people or they kill a few of my men.

My fief's relations similarly drop continuously for no dang reason, as far as I can discern. At least they pay the rent on time.

The towns/castles have a flag setting them either pagan or christian. That what determines the relation drop, not being "majority" pagan. Basically, think of it as the ruling elite is mainly christian, but simple people aren't.

But how is one able to find that out?

It also seems extremely strange that a town with a majority of pagans should reject a pagan lord for being pagan, just because some nobles are christians.

Ivan Khan said:
Only easy way though is to convert. This will stop the constant lowering.

I have tested it and it is possible with conversion to have +90 relations with one religion and +100 with the other. Every faction loves you then too as the priests of both religions sing your praises.

I agree with  Faenwulf, if the town is majority pagan and the "ruling elite" are christian and you keep losing relations with said town or fort then what is the purpose of building a temple to the Norse gods? You will just lose money and continue to lose relations thus negating the point of building the temple which is to convert people so you don't lose relations

Faenwulf said:
But how is one able to find that out?

It also seems extremely strange that a town with a majority of pagans should reject a pagan lord for being pagan, just because some nobles are christians.

depends who holds the power (common folks obviously not)

Is it not worth converting my towns/forts? Is it possible to completely convert a town to paganism or Christianity over time?

aaron274 said:
Is it not worth converting my towns/forts? Is it possible to completely convert a town to paganism or Christianity over time?
Yes possible, but not very easy.

If you are Christian, you probably start with 35-50% Christians, but have monasteries on your side (plus your own church) against people's old faith. If you start pagan, you may have a starting advantage but will be losing ground to monasteries. In short, as a christian, you may have a harder time getting going, as pagan, you have a starting advantage, but it is very hard to maintain.

Yes possible, but not very easy.
I know this is a very old post but this seems most appropriate place for my question/comment. I am playing a Christian character currently a vassal of Alban. I have been playing 900+ days. More than 700 days ago the King of Alban awarded me the fief of Dun Baitte which is unfortunately a pagan castle. I set about trying to improve my relationship with the Reeves by lowering taxes and retrieving his musical instruments, stone, killing thieves, making deliveries, blah blah yada yada. I also held a number of symbels and got my relationship up to 90+ I then built a Christian church absorbed the 25 relation hitt then did more deliveries, thieves, stone, salt, blah blah yada yada.. When I started this process the community was "Christians are not welcome here" and now more than 700 days later and uncounted penigas, the community is still "Christians are not welcome here" I have scoured the forums for tips or clues. I've also scanned the game source file since they were released and cannot find any event, trigger, or script that seems to do anything about converting a fief's religion. So I thought I would throw myself on the generosity and mercy of any kindly developer for some guidance on just what or how I can stop this continue a relationship drain. Thank you in advance.

kwbudirt said:
I have scoured the forums for tips or clues. I've also scanned the game source file since they were released and cannot find any event, trigger, or script

check Q&A thread for VC on tips for searching the game code for features...

you should start by what you know: the string "aren't welcome here". From there find the variable or slot associate with it, and then check triggers/scripts that change the value over time

Back
Top Bottom