What is your greatest fear/phobia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Being a slave to debt is a good solid fear of mine... what else...

Another one too; which is a fear less so that im scared of and more of a fear of great terrible sadness, is raising my own children and dying on them when they aren't even self sufficient; or witnessing my own children become monstrous human beings or self destructive and saddening failures.

I am not a father yet but I grew up with a sort of bitter relationship with my own father, then we reconciled and he shared stories of his past and needless to say we grew a great respect and bond after opening up like that; but then he died roughly 4 years later when I was about 13 or so.

It wasn't so much even me witnessing his death that makes this fear so prevalent for me, it was the sheer fact of losing a man I had only just begun to have a good father son relationship with and having it robbed. Needless to say im not going to divulge all the information on that but its something that haunts me to this day; and the horrible thing about that is even though we had a great relationship (and this is one of the many reasons why im an agnostic athiest- against the idea of an afterlife/worship of a god)
is that im forgetting how the man even sounded like with his voice; stuff is slowly fading. Poverty was the aftermath, and I don't need to delve into that.

I've also witnessed a terrible amount of friends and relatives of mine who spiraled off into drug abuse, became terrible people or well; were terrible people for most of my life and witnessed a lot of my buds end up in really stupid situations that sometimes got them killed. They dabbled too much into dealings that were not safe and they paid the price often when they pissed off the wrong people.

I haven't fathered children yet, and whilst I am in a pretty tight relationship with a lovely lady I am not even married yet. But I'd honestly say my greatest fear is not being there for my future children and wife, leaving them alone in a cruel, uncaring world that has no shred of sympathy. Especially if I had developed a bond with said children, and they are robbed of my care and presence and left stunted and as bitter about stuff as I was; and my other greatest fear is the aforementioned witnessing of my children becoming twisted or destroyed like so. It'd be heartbreaking for me and would probably drive me to the point where I'd just see myself as a failure of a parent and human being.

As for irrational fears, I had for the longest time a very uneasy feeling around pencil sharpeners.  Even though I've handled heavy machinery and even at one point seen a bad accident involving a metal grinder, the fear was before that to boot... I dunno. Just sticking something inside something that grinds and cuts it makes me uncomfortable. Not scared; but just uncomfortable.

That's not an unreasonable fear, being stabbed does considerably more damage and is more likely to kill you than a gunshot, as well as hurting a hell of a lot more.

crodio said:
Being stabbed, feeling steel ripping my organs inside me.
I would rather be shot at than stabbed. :sad:
Also mutilation of genitals

*takes notes in shorthand, murmuring to himself* ''rather...shot... than stabbed, mutilation of genitals...'' *raises eyebrows* ''hmm, unusual request...still the client is always right; it's his assassination after all.'' *clicks pen and pockets it along with notepad; looks up and smiles pleasantly at the client* ''Right then Mr Crodio, I think we should be able to fit you in first thing Tuesday morning, see you then'

Austupaio said:
That's not an unreasonable fear, being stabbed does considerably more damage and is more likely to kill you than a gunshot, as well as hurting a hell of a lot more.

It all depends on the bullet and the knife in question.

DanAngleland said:
crodio said:

*takes notes in shorthand, murmuring to himself* ''rather...shot... than stabbed, mutilation of genitals...'' *raises eyebrows* ''hmm, unusual request...still the client is always right; it's his assassination after all.'' *clicks pen and pockets it along with notepad; looks up and smiles pleasantly at the client* ''Right then Mr Crodio, I think we should be able to fit you in first thing Tuesday morning, see you then'
Remember to dress as a pony from mlp, you chose which one, surprise me

Also Aust,  the title says phobias /fears,  so regular rational fears are accepted too right?

Physical Pain.
Responsibility.
Outright Failure (ie that cannot be bounced back from/overcome afterwards).
Taking substances that affect my conscious and my sensory systems.
Loss of Senses (any and all).
Apparently driving/cycling.
Wasting time (the iron knee!)

Most of those are because I've grown increasingly paranoid (and even then, I'm not too bad) the last few years. Apart from Physical Pain.

Vermillion_Hawk said:
It all depends on the bullet and the knife in question.
Well, of course, fair enough. A .357 JHP is going to do some major damage compared to a filet knife. In a more general sense though, if you take a single common JHP (9mm, .40, .45 or .3:cool: and compare it to a single stab wound from a common knife, like a larger serrated folding knife or butcher's knife, the knife wound will usually cause more damage simply due the size of the wound, as it's far more likely to cause a major bleed. That's a very controlled setting of course, but just an example. For probably a huge amount of reasons, DOJ/FBI statistics show that the majority (I forget the numbers) of hospitalized handgun victims will survive, with a much smaller number of stab victims managing the same.

I'm guessing it's a mix of stabs and slashes being more likely to cause major bleeds, and that an assaulter with a knife will often stab the victim up to, if not more than, a dozen times while most handgun victims are shot one to three times.

My main point was to address, well actually what I'll say below.

crodio said:
Also Aust,  the title says phobias /fears,  so regular rational fears are accepted too right?
Yeah sure, I was just putting that out there in case you weren't really aware. I've heard of a lot people having misconceptions about the deadliness of a knife versus a firearm. It comes from a lot of smaller misconceptions, from everything like 'but people in movies die from a single gunshot!' to 'the heat from the bullet moving so fast sets your internals on fire'.

If I had to choose, I'd rather be attacked by a handgun-wielding criminal than knife-wielding one.

kurczak said:
It's the silent killer!
That's exactly the sort of thing she'd say, too. :lol: I'm guessing you guys have similar issues with it, that it's completely undetectable, unpreventable and instantaneous.

Austupaio said:
kurczak said:
It's the silent killer!
That's exactly the sort of thing she'd say, too. :lol: I'm guessing you guys have similar issues with it, that it's completely undetectable, unpreventable and instantaneous.

Sweet potato Jesus, yes. Also the fact that brain aneurysm/stroke is the no. 1 cause of death in my family and statistically speaking I'm pretty much guaranteed to drop dead due to it sooner or later doesn't help :smile:

Unless the gators get me first.

crodio said:
DanAngleland said:
crodio said:

Remember to dress as a pony from mlp, you chose which one, surprise me

.....There was I thinking genital mutilation was the creepiest thing about this job. *Sighs* Since it wasn't brought up in the initial meeting, I'll have to hike the price up a bit. And maybe get a bit drunk beforehand.

I have a bit of a fear of heights. Not vertigo, and I am not paralysed by it, but I get tense and usually just want to get back to ground level. Listening to people laughing and saying things like 'look down there' winds me up because I just want to go back down. I'm thinking of big ferris wheels and tall towers here. I don't dream often, but when I do heights often feature. For instance, just last night I dreamed that I was on a steep street, a ludicrously steep one in fact of at least 60 degrees. It was also just slightly slippy, so that I was gripping a handrail to stop myself slithering back down the hill. Family members were walking ahead of me, and whilst they were apparently having no trouble I was concerned for their safety too. I've had very similar dreams for years, maybe all my life. I remember a dream from a few years ago where I was climbing a tower, not a tall one, but one with an internal staircase that was extremely steep, rickety and narrow, with no internal walls or even handrails.

It's your own fault for going into a place marked "rape toilet". It's Europe, what were you expecting?

Back
Top Bottom