What made you laugh today - Fifth Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Flin Flon said:
I'm getting PMs from people complaining about my avatar. Thank you.

I guess I have whatever your avatar is adblocked? It's been long enough that I forgot and thought you were avatar-free.

Apple's Pro Display XDR With Nano-Texture Can Only Be Cleaned With Special Apple-Provided Cloth
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10/apple-pro-display-xdr-cleaning-cloth/?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

According to an Apple support document, the Pro Display XDR with nano-texture glass must be cleaned only with the dry polishing cloth that Apple provides. No water or liquids should be used to clean the glass.

Apple warns that Pro Display XDR owners should never use any other cloths to clean the glass, and if the included dry polishing cloth is lost, Apple Support should be contacted so another cloth can be ordered.
:iamamoron:

Yale Is Eliminating Its Art History Survey Course Over Complaints That It Prioritizes a White, Western Canon Over Other Narratives (Link)

Why enjoy the Renaissance when you can become a deep moron! we're doomed...:lol:

I think that belongs more to the what makes you sad thread, but still...
200.webp

it honestly doesn't seem like a big deal.

they're nixing two courses because they fail to achieve the intended purpose, and replacing them with courses that do. big whoop. it's not like euro renaissance art won't be discussed at all, it just won't be the main focus of a course that is actually intended to be a broad introduction to the history of art in general. wow. devastating.

tl;dr - clickbait, basically.

I certainly agree it should include some more diverse art, but there's no need to cancel the entire thing and make a new course. The most ridiculous part of the entire thing is this part "will look at art’s evolution in relation to questions of gender, class, and race". An art history course is being politicised to fit a woke narrative. Absolutely uncecessary, make it about art not about race-baiting, gender studies far left bull****.

I certainly agree it should include some more diverse art, but there's no need to cancel the entire thing and make a new course. The most ridiculous part of the entire thing is this part "will look at art’s evolution in relation to questions of gender, class, and race". An art history course is being politicised to fit a woke narrative. Absolutely uncecessary, make it about art not about race-baiting, gender studies far left bull****.

Art history is inherently political and stuff like gender and class comes into that. If you want an art history without politics then expect a course where you just coldly talk about techniques but never discuss trends, tendencies or the reason why artists depict certain things.

I feel like people just instantly have a negative reaction to the word "gender studies" without knowing what it is. Saying something as obvious as "women in 1500s art often look limp and passive" and analysing why that is, is gender studies. Saying "non-nobles in ancient greek fiction don't ever say anything" is class studies. These aren't smug value judgements, they're just ways of trying to understand why trends in art happen. People have been doing this since the 1960s.

Of course you analyse things like that as it's part of the art, but it's all being spun into a modern context of "straight white male privilege/the West is terrible/white people oppress everyone/we're more oppressed than you/the list goes on". Of course I'm not saying that you should just coldly study the technique of the painting, everything has a sociopolitical context for the time, but this is clearly a move to appease the current trend of being offended at everything and making everything about oppression in an age when nobody has had it better. One part I read said about looking at the art in the view of white colonialism, like no other race/ethnic group/part of the world has ever done anything bad or colonised anyone.

Also, clearly before this event they were studying the art just fine in all it's complexities hence it being a famous course taught by some well known experts. I'm sure it wouldn't be so famous if it was just boring looking at brushstrokes, was clearly already deep.

It's happening everywhere, it's the new 'woke' left culture of cancelling things/people that have a different opinion or don't display things in the way you think they should. Like yesterday when a 40-year veteran TV presenter from a big UK network quit his job and deleted his twitter account because he quoted Shakespear at a black person on twitter who then said he was being racist. 40 years of well respected public life gone because of a Shakespear quote, absolute cancel culture. All paint from the same brush.

Of course you analyse things like that as it's part of the art, but it's all being spun into a modern context of "straight white male privilege/the West is terrible/white people oppress everyone/we're more oppressed than you/the list goes on".

No professor is ever going to teach something that blatantly one-sided. The vast (and I mean VAST) majority of people who go to university aren't this stereotype of a blue haired radical feminist. I went to one of the most radical universities in Britain and in most of my courses nobody was like that.

What does sometimes happen is that professors will over-compensate for views their students might have picked up in compulsory education or at home. You have to deconstruct ideas of Nationalism and "Europeanism" and other things that cloud your judgement before you can properly anaylse history. Most people's "folk knowledge" of most subjects is really bad history and has to be challenged.
Funnily enough the case where this was most prominent was in my Islamic Theology course. The lecturer himself was Muslim but would basically rip into the contradictions in Islam whenever he could, and most of the nationalists and wannabe imams quit the course in the first few weeks. Complaining about a "left wing bias" or whatever in universities because they actively challenge normative beliefs is the equivalent of quitting an Islam course because the lecturer made sure to counter the average 18 year old's idea of Islam.

Last edited:
I see what you're saying and can relate, I'm also universitty educated and my uni was full of leftists. It's just always those far left that have the loudest voices and moderate people pander to them instead in fear of being mobbed for being racist/anything phobic. The vast majority don't share those cancel culture views yet they have the loudest voice. I still don't think cancelling the whole art course and making it more focused on gender/race/class in a modern context instead of the history of art as it was before is a good idea.

I still don't think cancelling the whole art course and making it more focused on gender/race/class in a modern context instead of the history of art as it was before is a good idea.
well then i suppose you'll be happy to know that that isn't what is happening. of course, you could have just read the announcement and spared yourself the anxiety.

no, you aren't.

"more focused on gender/race/class in a modern context instead of the history of art as it was before " is what you say is quoted from the guy.
"will look at art’s evolution in relation to “questions of gender, class, and ‘race,’” " is what the article says, and which notably is not a quote from the guy running it.

these are very different things. you sneak in "modern context" to load the entire thing with your bias of what you think that means, not to mention claiming it is a quote when that is not supported by the article.
further: "instead of the history of art as it was before" is not the case. that's literally the whole point of this change. that it was previously only about western art, and that what replaces it will actually be about the history of art, in general, which is what the course is supposed to be for in the first place.

As we continue to renew our curriculum while preserving our commitment to introductory teaching of the broadest scope, new courses will replace HSAR112 and 115. Some will engage with the monuments and masterpieces of European and American art, some will introduce other world traditions, and some will be organized thematically offering comparative perspectives.

how terrible. they're teaching students more things, instead of less things. oh, the humanity. this is clearly an sjw plot to destroy history.

Back
Top Bottom