The Fearless Pride

Users who are viewing this thread

Sean Interview

A "warband" player in WFAS finds himself often annoyed with all the musket fire and abundance of guns... They are a nuisance for men bred for a single purpose - to slash your face with their spears, pikes, swords and sabers.  Some, unable to cope with the gunfire, decided to shun the game altogether - others adapted to be wicked, lightning fast hitmen.  This player is one of those killing machines.  When he plays, chances are that more than one of your deaths will decorate his kills stat.  Meet Sean!

Question 1: Sean, what can you tell us a briefly about yourself?

Sean: alright, let me think, I was born in Michigan but now live in Portland, Oregon. I like to play video games and be good at them. Warband is my favorite game.

Question 2: You are one of the "old" crew of players, and by that I mean a "warband" bunch, which means insane melee prowess... That said, I have also seen you make some crazy pistol shots!  If you were to choose a single faction and two weapons, what would you choose as a perfect set up for yourself?

Sean: Well, to clarify,  I did start playing Mount and Blade online on With Fire and Sword. But a few months after I started playing warband online. So back to the question...Hmm, that's a tough question. I'm a huge fan of the Swedes and their miquelet musket. So I would have to go with Sweden musketeer with a Miquelet Musket and a Good Broadsword. That said, Cossack infantry with a Long Barreled Pistol and Good Cossack Saber comes at a close second.

Question 3: It is hard to ask a "warband" player if he "fears" anyone in the game - your sort IS feared - but if in all of your time, you could have picked a single player that you have discovered to be your toughest opponent, who would you say it is and why?

Sean: The class in this game that has given me the most trouble over the years has to be the dragoon. In particular, one dragoon I would consider the best I've ever faced would be Jeff. He gives me a lot of trouble for a few reasons. Firstly, he will sneak up behind you and shoot you in the back if you're not careful. Second, he's amazing at kiting, he can lure you out of your hiding spot and avoid getting shot at the same time. Lastly, I swear that he hits every shot, to a degree where I've called him a hacker (he's obviously not).

Question 4: Jeff is truly one of the best (if not the best) opponent you can face in the game... We are all blessed that his skill appears to be limited to a mounted gunner.  But in view of the fact that you primarily play in Warband, and there are no mounted gunners per se, what do you find about that MB title better/different than WFAS?

Sean: One of the things that has always made Warband superior in my mind is the melee. While the two games have the same combat system (Up, down, left, right blocking), WFAS combat feels so slow and clunky in comparison. I do enjoy both titles though, I just feel Warbands melee combat gives it the edge.

Question 5: Sean, in April, I am going to announce a tournament that will feature a very unique maps, objective and rules... If you do decide to participate, you will need to captain a team of additional four players... Who would you choose to fight alongside you as a perfect five man team?

Sean: Okay. Myself, Zach, Matthew, Alejandro, Ordyn

Question 6: Well, Ale is a skilled player, but he is one of the players permanently banned from my tournaments for constant abuse, team killing and lack of proper game etiquette. So, not that this impressive team of four even needs a fifth player (cause wow you, ORDYN, ZACH AND MATHEW can kill a team of twenty all by yourselves) but still, who would you pick for this tournament as your fifth man?

Sean: I was going to say Jeff then, but I don't have a personal relationship with the guy.

Question 7: Well, Sean, with that team there is not even a need for me to hold a tournament... It will be over before I even have a chance to announce the rest of the teams much less to commence the damn thing. :smile:  However, one final question... There are many international communities in MB and I am sure you have come into contact with many of those communities over your career with MB... How do you compare NA community to say Polish, German or Russian?

Sean: I think that the European community is about on par with NA. I'd say that at a certain point in time (2-3 years ago when KM was in it's prime), that NA was probably the best in the world. Of course since I live in the U.S. and competed for KM, I'm bias. But I'm also sure that teams in the international community have far surpassed any NA team at some point. As far as play styles and classes go, I feel our respective communities differ. For instance, the international teams I've faced use a lot of cav and pike infantry. Pike infantry in NA was never really a huge thing as far as the competitive community goes.

I wish luck to Sean in all of his tournaments, especially ours.  And I have to admit, I found myself agreeing with him a great deal in his view of the pike infantry on NA scene.  It is a rare sight indeed, and our scene is dominated by fast moving Cossacks and bull's eye shooting Swedish muskets, with occasional horse mounted archer, gunner or a lancer causing major havoc!

Elendil said:
Melee Tournament on Sunday, March 15th, at 12 (noon) Pacific time.

8 Players only will be allowed.  First come first serve! :smile:

Prize: $10 to the winner!  Additional $5 to the tourney winner IF he had achieved a BEST OF FIVE round sweep (3-0)

Good luck all.

Server?

Due to recent security concerns the signed up players will be notified of Server's name a few mins prior to the tournament.

Btw, only two spots left!

Oswin
Mexican Sniper
Jason
Sean
Zach
Walmart Pajamas

Rules to be posted tonight after entry deadline.

Ele

You have to add me on Steam so I can verify that you are not part of the perma ban crew, and then I'll add you to the tourney page. The rest is easy - just subscribe to the page and u will be notified of all flash and upcoming tourneys.

And so finally the rules for the Melee Tournament:

8 players will be divided into two Battalions - Battalion "North" and Battalion "South"

The Quaterfinals:

The Quaterfinals will be played as BEST OF THREE.

Once all four match ups are announced, each pair will play out their best of three in the following fasion:

Battle 1.  Player A selects a faction. Player B selects a faction as a response. Winner gets a point!
Battle 2.  Player B selects a faction. Player A selects a faction as a response. Winner gets a point!

if a tie, the winner of Battle 2 selects a faction. His opponent can select a faction as a response.

Remember, you can only use each faction ONCE per BEST of THREE rounds.

No ranged weapons allowed - no guns and no bows and no grenades.

The Semifinals:

The two winners in each Battalion will face each other in a BEST OF FIVE format.

Each pair will play their Best of Five in the following fasion:

Battle 1: Player A picks a faction.  Player B picks a faction as a response.  The winner gets a point!
Battle 2: Player B picks a faction.  Player A picks a faction as a response.  The winner gets a point!
Battle 3: Player A picks a faction.  Player B picks a faction as a response.  The winner gets a point!

If the score is not 3-0, the bout continues...

Battle 4: Player B picks a faction.  Player A picks a faction as a response. The winner gets a point!

if the score is now 2-2, the bout continues...

Battle 5: The fifth remaining faction that neither player used will be the faction available to the player in the deciding game!  In other words if you have used Crimea, Moscow, Cossack and Sweden in the first four battles, your faction in the fifth battle will be Poland.

Remember, in the semis, just like in the quarterfinals, you can only use each faction once in your BEST OF FIVE series.

The Finals: Will be played in the format identical to that of the Semifinals.

Special Bonus: The winner of the tournament will get an extra $5 per each round where he completely "dominated" his opponent.  Domination is interpreted here as winning Best of Three with a 2-0 sweep... or Best of Five with 3-0 sweep.  As the winner must get through three rounds of play (quarter, semis and finals), there is a potential to earn an extra $15 in bonuses in addition to $10 tourney's winning prize.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Elendil said:
You have to add me on Steam so I can verify that you are not part of the perma ban crew, and then I'll add you to the tourney page. The rest is easy - just subscribe to the page and u will be notified of all flash and upcoming tourneys.

Can you add me? :razz:

I do not know your steam name.

sorry mate, your name is too common... took too long I could not find it...

My name is Antigonus... if you can find me in five minutes, add me and you can join

Its the hooded avatar.

Zach wins!

Finals featured an intense match up between BA Spartan and MB Zach.  As both players had secured sweeps in the semis, they both qualified for $5, making it $15 to the winner! 

Battle 1: Zach (Sweden) vs (Cossacks) Spartan.... Zach wins!

Battle 2: Spartan (Sweden) vs (Poland) Zach.... Zach wins!

Battle 3: Zach (Cossacks) vs (Moscow) Spartan.... Spartan wins!

Battle 4: Spartan (Crimea) vs (Poland) Zach.... Spartan wins!

Battle 5: Zach (Moscow) vs (Crimea) Spartan.... Zach wins!

What a fun it was to watch two Warband players duke it out in a melee match up featuring all five factions.  Thanks for a great opportunity, guys!

Zach opted out for Magicka 2 as his prize!

See you next time, Zach.

And to sum up a crazy week of events, Sean wins the last event of this week (Tatar's Death Challenge). 

This final challenge was basically a "skeleton" version of the Horse Archer's revenge, which is basically a very tough objective to accomplish.  This particular event was measured not by defeating a human opponent but overall performance vs bots.  It required a correct strategy and quick adaptation due to a constantly changing "bot army" composition. 

Thanks to all for playing! More competitions to come! Most of you are more than welcome to come and show off some of your extra ordinary MB skills.  Whether you are grinding metal with the likes of Zach or Sean, or stuffing arrows into meaty targets, you are sure to find a welcome crowd of spectators who are more than willing to admire your amazing skills. 

That said, I have to admit, it was fascinating to watch Spartan and Zach duke it out - it really shows how Warband players are just pure monsters at melee. 

Elendil

"Aim Small, Miss Small" Shooting Challenge

When: Tonight (time to be announced on TFP page)
Type: Long range / short range shooting vs bots!!!
Prize: $10 Steam Credit

Melee tourney tonight!!!

We will dub this challenge as Fear the Spear!!! (Spears and Pikes allowed)

It will be fought in my "gauntlet" format. 

$10 to the winner. Max allowed participants is 8.

This is the second tournament of this kind. The first event was won 2 years ago by Ordyn.

Soul I added you to tourneys page... You should see all the updates and announcements. Welcome, dude, and good luck in our tourneys.

Just a quick explanation because that was asked earlier...  There are two types of events: tournaments and challenges! Former is vs other players, while latter is vs bots...

Don't underestimate our bit challenges.  They are very hard and require a careful strategy based on terrain and bot detachment composition.  Come try it!!!

Yesterday's HA challenge drew a large crowd... With $10 prize on the line, the bots actually put up quite a show felling off most participants with incredible head shots.  BA Spartan was able to secure the win however with 11 kills in three rounds, well ahead of the opposition.  And just like mexican sniper he opted out to get Napoleonic Wars. Congrats and thanks!

Fear the Spear is tonight!!! Gauntlet style spear melee event... First 8 players only!

Daniel Tosh Interview

Seldom one player can have so much controversy in a single game.  Yet among WFAS players one name stands out quite clearly - Daniel Tosh.  Hate him or love him - the choice is clearly yours.  However, one thing that cannot be taken away from him is his ability to do some amazing things with a spear and a musket.  Personally, after Myth, I find him the second hardest target to hit (Jeff being the third).  So after making a few appearances in some of the flash tourneys, I wanted to take the time and talk to this controversial figure in the world of the Fire and Sword.

Question 1: Daniel Tosh... This name in WFAS is so controversial that I must carefully guide myself through this interview... That said, what can you tell us about yourself?

Joe: Hmm. As you said, Daniel Tosh is such a controversial name in WFaS, I have to be careful what I say here. I'll say that my name is Joe, and I'm from the United States.

Question 2: I have known you for quite sometime... and while we have held different opinions on many subjects and certainly had our share of confrontations, one thing I must admit, is your ability to really destroy entire teams armed with just a spear... or a sword... or musket...  So my question I guess is, what is your favorite weapon of choice in WFAS and why?

Joe: Ah, well, thank you for your kind words. As for your question, I'm torn. I suppose that my favorite weapon has to be a spear. It's speed, damage, and reach are all reasons I choose a spear as my favorite weapon. I've also used spears for so long that I'm able to do some pretty crazy tricks with them -- giving me an extreme advantage in melee. Aside from spears, a musket and sword combo is my next favorite weapon load out.

Question 3: Aside from you, there are other guys that come to mind that are dazzling to watch in melee... specifically guys like Ordyn, Zach, Sean and Spartan - but considering your time in game and experience, who do you find to be your toughest MELEE opponent? And is there a player who you consider to be your nemesis (not necessarily in melee per se) that you would like to avoid facing against in games?  In other words, is there a guy aside from melee, that gives you the hardest competition in the game?

Joe: While I agree there are other good players, I don't find anyone to be truly a tough melee opponent. Usually I'm busy chasing down those people you mentioned rather than actually fighting them in melee.  Aside from melee, players I would rather avoid are Jeff, and of course, Elendil. I can't kill what I can't catch (Jeff), and I get bored of serpentining like a mad man across open fields to kill Elendil.

Question 4: There is a huge row between some North American players and you, and that is not even including thousands of rumors circulating around... As with each coin, there are two sides of the story, and I was wondering if there was something that caused this rift? (your perspective)

Joe: Ah, haha. Well, it's quite simple really. Nobody enjoys losing -- nobody wants to keep getting killed. That's what I do best though. Win -- and kill people. I also love conflict and making fights. As a result, the situation just naturally evolved into me getting banned off the NA servers.  I had the last laugh, though.

Question 5: Imagine a situation where a duel can be arranged - a sort of pay per view event - who would you like to challenge to a duel?  Knowing that this person would read this and might accept...

Joe: I would love to duel Magician and humiliate him.

Question 6: All politics and vendettas aside, if you could choose four teammates to form a balanced team to win a battle in WFAS, who would you choose?

Joe: Politics and vendettas aside, I'd choose without hesitation: Alejandro, Ordyn, Bubs, and Matt.

Question 7: Indeed, I forgot about Bubs as well, he is a very skilled all around player... definitely a great teammate to have.  Another question I have is in terms of the Fearless Pride and its challenges... In the Fearless Pride events you appear to dominate fellow players, however, when faced with bot challenges, things get a bit more tricky... What is the deciding factor in your opinion that creates this disparity?

Joe: Well, the challenges involving bots have mostly been pretty restricted in my opinion. Most the bots have ranged weapons, it's 20 vs. 1, and you're limited to ranged weapons yourself. Ranged combat isn't exactly my forte, and although I can hold my own, I would be better off in those challenges if fewer bots had ranged weapons and I was allowed to use a melee weapon.

Question 8: FEAR THE SPEAR event tomorrow will probably draw as big a crowd as today event, but it will feature a different melee format than what you are used to... I am introducing a GAUNTLET type of a challenge... In other words, your progress is measured based on how many kills you can get per single life vs the rest of the participants... its a very unique format but given this concept, how many men do you think you can take down on a single life, knowing that your competition is going to be quite capable (Sean, Spartan, Zach etc)?

Joe: Hmm. Hard to say exactly without first seeing the factions being used, and players playing. I'd say I can probably get 4-8 kills a life at a modest estimate. If it's 1v1, I could probably kill all the participants before dying.

Question 9: So far you have accumulated $15 credit... we would like to know if there is a game that you are interested in getting or waiting for?

Joe: I'll be pooling my prize money to buy GTA V when it is released.

Well, there you have it... And while we are heading towards our next tournament, I am sure more than one of us will do our best to avoid this man on the battlefield - he is hard to guard against and very deadly at close range. 

Three days later and three more tournaments later!!!

Well yet another archery challenge attracted a large crowd... This time around, top two were advancing to a First to Seven final round.  Since I am disqualified from winning the money, the bout featured 2nd and 3rd placed players - Walmart and Gman.  In a one of the craziest duels ever, walmart secured the win!  In what quickly is becoming a norm he was challenged to a duel by Spartan.  Spartan won the first to seven and took Walmarts prize of $20. What did he do with it? He bought Mexican Sniper MB Warband!

Another challenge we all took part was Drunken Cossacks.  It's a fine day in the Sich... And what do drunk Cossacks do? Well armed with sabers and pistols a group of ten went all crazy. 20 mins later the deathmatch left one man standing - Spartan. Congrats on the win!

And today's aim small miss small event featured some top marksmen.  6 players went 10 minutes to determine who would make the four members of the tourney. It was shooting only deathmatch and zach. Spartan, zahn and Jason advanced. Spartan defeated Zahn in what I can only describe as an upset. And zach defeated Jason. Setting up a final between two unlikely musketeers!!!

In the final round zach swept spartan with an amazing 7-0 score.  His bonus objective was to defeat me in the same format for extra $5.  Zach was defeated 7-1, but still walked away with a $10 prize.  I was just amazed at his shooting... Especially since I have never seen him shoot!

Today I had yet another great chance to interview a player of certain renown.  He is well known in WFAS and Warband battle/duel events, and his battlefield prowess did earn him a well deserved spot among the greatest players of Mount and Blade... As his experience spans more than one MB title (WFAS and Warband), I was eager to ask him some of the questions that make BA Mathew the warrior that he is.

Question 1: Mathew, tell us briefly about yourself... Where do you live and how old?

Mjbleakney: Live in Hope, British Columbia, Canada. 18 years old

Question 2: Mathew, I always separate players into different categories (warband and wfas) and you are one of the meanest sword wielding killers out there... What is your favorite faction and class, and why?

Mjbleakney: Swadian, Sweden. My favorite class would be Infantry, Its hard to kill me when I got my curaiss on and I rock a Claymore. I have a claymore in real life so I enjoy having my weapon of Choice. Other then that I rock a mean shot with a gun, but I enjoy the claymore

Question 3:  As a new addition to our tournament events, you were able to secure a win today in a musket event... Your final challenge was Tosh and you were able to defeat him in Best of Five (3-2).  How tough do you think the challenge was (bot event) and how tough was your opponent in your opinion in the finals?

Mjbleakney: I think the bots we quite easy, I learnt the pattern in the first round, dominated the that part. Tosh is a more difficult opponent, he has a way of manipulating his opponents and using mind tactics. But being the clan leader of BA for 3 years, I had no fear in taking him on, and was quite lucky to over take him in the last 2 rounds

Question 4: BA was indeed a fearsome clan at one point, and featured tons of good players... But clan allegiances aside, if you had to come up with a perfect five man squad, you including, who would you take with you into battle?

Mjbleakney: BA_Brandon has always been my right hand man. You (Elendil) have a killer shot that puts me to shame. Zagoroth, Camle, and Salty.

Question 5: Well thank you for the compliment... Well it seems you are going to make your presence felt in our events so we would like to always ask about who you would consider your nemesis... since you are a melee fighter primarily you must have a nemesis in melee and one in general... who would these two people be?

Mjbleakney: Tosh is messed with my router once, so I have a vendetta against him. I think Kid is my nemesis in melee, because I haven't quite learnt his moves. With that in mind, I've been working more on my shooting, to avoid some melee conflicts, and I was glad to prove that skill in the tourney today

Question 6: I must admit, I think you have improved your shot tremendously... that said, we have plenty of specialized tourneys ranging from foot archery to pistol shooting... what is one area that you are sure you can clinch every time, knowing more or less who your competition is?

Mjbleakney: Melee is becoming more of a challenge, because everyone is getting into it now, and having a lot of veterans now, we got people learning the moves. I personally feel like my range events will be really good, and I hope to take those wins easily, but again it depends on who my opponents are. My biggest goal will be to win a melee challenge though

Question 7: So far I have allowed people to retain credits instead of redeeming it for games... In fact the main page features current "credit" holders and their amounts.  That said, you may also put up your credit vs opponent credits for winner take all... if you were to consider it, who would you like to challenge in such an event and what would that challenge be?

Mjbleakney: I think, I would like to try a few more events to see where I fit in, because if I was honest, today was a lucky win for me. I stumbled across your great events, but would like to partake in more. That being said, I think I would gamble my winnings against other players winnings in another shoot out challenge like today

This was a great interview with yet another start of M&B, and definitely one to watch out in our flash tournaments.  On a personal note, watching him participate in his first TFP event I was surprised to see that he actually developed a strategy from the get go and masterfully adhered to it throughout the qualifying round.  Hope to see more of his awesome prowess on display soon!

Back
Top Bottom